PDA

View Full Version : 7th pick Eric Herman

bigjeep
04-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Eric Herman

New York Giants

Seventh Round: 225th Pick

Ohio University doesn't get a ton of national attention, and that's how a player like Eric Herman can go unnoticed. However, the draft process offers an opportunity for someone like Herman to make a name for himself.

He has the type of game that will easily translate to the next level. Herman combines natural athleticism and strength with a non-stop motor. NFL teams will quickly fall in love with his competitiveness.

Strengths Weaknesses
+ Size - High Pad Level
+ Nasty Streak
+ Strength

Tools

Height: 6í4Ē

Weight: 320 pounds

Arm Length: 32 ľĒ

40-time: 5.25

Intangibles/Character: Ohio University benefited from the reliable and high-level play of Eric Herman. He started 40 straight games from his sophomore to senior season. Herman played each of those games with a ton of intensity.

The image below shows an example of the type of aggressiveness Herman exhibited on every play:

Hermanstrenghtnasty_original

System: Hermanís size and raw strength make him a great fit for a power-blocking system. However, he also possesses the quickness off the ball to fit into a zone-blocking scheme. During his time at Ohio, Herman gained a ton of experience in a zone system.

Pass-Blocking: The most important thing Herman needs to focus on in order to become a complete player is his pass protection. He boasts the athleticism and strength to excel in this area of the game, but he must improve the consistency of his technique.

Below is a clip that shows Herman in an upright stance that limits his change-of-direction ability, anchor and balance:

Hermanupright_original

One thing helping Herman is that his future in the NFL is at the guard position. This will provide him some leeway to clean up his pass-protection technique.

Run-Blocking: This is the area of Hermanís game where he shows the potential to dominate. He does a great job driving defenders off the ball, quickly getting off the line and gaining inside hand placement.

The image below is an example of how his quickness off the ball can seal the defender from a hole. He quickly got across the face of the defender and kept him from making a play on the ball.

Hermanquickoffballandacrossface_original

This quickness also comes into play when Herman is asked to pull from this guard position. The below clip shows Hermanís ability to remain balanced as he provides a lead block. Donít be surprised if Herman comes off the board earlier than expected.

Hermanpulling_original

Teams are going to fall in love with his combination of athleticism, strength and mean streak.

Blocking in Space: Herman doesnít possess the fluidity to consistently hold up in space. This is why his best position at the next level is at guard. However, heís a good enough athlete to fill in at right tackle in a pinch.

This is only a real possibility if he does a better job keeping his pads down throughout the play.

Hand Fighting: Because of his upper body strength, Herman does a good job velcroing to the defender. In both the run and passing game, he always looks to gain inside handsórather than taking the punch-and-recoil approach.

Herman is absolutely someone capable of controlling the line of scrimmage and the movements of his opponent.

Recovery: The ability to keep a wide base gives Herman a strong anchor. This allows him to remain balanced after the initial contact and quickly re-set. Opponents have a tough time moving Herman off the line or getting a push on the pocket.

Hermanís pad level is the one thing that hinders his recovery. When he gets too high, the defender can use his quickness to compromise Hermanís balance. This makes it more difficult for him to then change direction and react to counter moves.

Technique: Other than some inconsistency with his pad level, Herman plays with good overall technique. He shows a commitment to playing with balance and fighting to gain inside hand placement. These are two of the main keys for all offensive linemen.

Future Role/Versatility: Herman is a guard, but could potentially play right tackle in a pinch. This doesnít mean a team should go in that direction. Moving him to the outside would really play against his strengths as a player.

As far as scheme is concerned, Herman features the skills needed to play in either a zone of power-blocking system.

Eli TO Shockey
04-27-2013, 07:00 PM
he's a mean SOB. The pancake king. On and off the field!

giant-4-life
he sounds good. this is the kind of drafting I have known the Giants for. Players that are not necessarily from the big schools but they are talent for their schools with good work ethics.

I'm curious as to how our LB scenario will pan out. Free agency will pick up and un-drafted free agents are available soon.

bigjeep
Why is this moved. He's a Giant!

Cloud57
32 arms? isn't that small lol

Eli TO Shockey
04-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Why is this moved. He's a Giant!

probly just to piss off the almighty jeepy.

Carter.525
32 arms? isn't that small lolonly for 1st rounders..

Cloud57
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82998&draftyear=2013&genpos=OG

darrin99
Won the bench press competition at the combine. Strong kid, but then again so was Mitch Petrus.

FishinTheSalt
04-27-2013, 07:03 PM
might get to see him play in 3 or 4 years.

bigjeep
04-27-2013, 07:03 PM
probly just to piss off the almighty jeepy.

I'm pissed!

Moecoastie77
04-27-2013, 07:04 PM
seems the Giants got meaner and stronger in the trenches. Truly a big draft for the Giants.

bigjeep
04-27-2013, 07:05 PM
seems the Giants got meaner and stronger in the trenches. Truly a big draft for the Giants.

Good, I hope they play against the Mods!

giant-4-life
04-27-2013, 07:05 PM
man this is gonna give our OL some real juice.

Eli TO Shockey
04-27-2013, 07:06 PM

love it. especially that mammoth of a man we got in the 2nd!

Cloud57
04-27-2013, 07:07 PM
From his videos he's a great run blocker

G-Men Surg.
04-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Eric Herman

New York Giants

Seventh Round: 225th Pick

Ohio University doesn't get a ton of national attention, and that's how a player like Eric Herman can go unnoticed. However, the draft process offers an opportunity for someone like Herman to make a name for himself.

He has the type of game that will easily translate to the next level. Herman combines natural athleticism and strength with a non-stop motor. NFL teams will quickly fall in love with his competitiveness.

Strengths Weaknesses
+ Size - High Pad Level
+ Nasty Streak
+ Strength

Tools

Height: 6í4Ē

Weight: 320 pounds

Arm Length: 32 ľĒ

40-time: 5.25

Intangibles/Character: Ohio University benefited from the reliable and high-level play of Eric Herman. He started 40 straight games from his sophomore to senior season. Herman played each of those games with a ton of intensity.

The image below shows an example of the type of aggressiveness Herman exhibited on every play:

Hermanstrenghtnasty_original

System: Hermanís size and raw strength make him a great fit for a power-blocking system. However, he also possesses the quickness off the ball to fit into a zone-blocking scheme. During his time at Ohio, Herman gained a ton of experience in a zone system.

Pass-Blocking: The most important thing Herman needs to focus on in order to become a complete player is his pass protection. He boasts the athleticism and strength to excel in this area of the game, but he must improve the consistency of his technique.

Below is a clip that shows Herman in an upright stance that limits his change-of-direction ability, anchor and balance:

Hermanupright_original

One thing helping Herman is that his future in the NFL is at the guard position. This will provide him some leeway to clean up his pass-protection technique.

Run-Blocking: This is the area of Hermanís game where he shows the potential to dominate. He does a great job driving defenders off the ball, quickly getting off the line and gaining inside hand placement.

The image below is an example of how his quickness off the ball can seal the defender from a hole. He quickly got across the face of the defender and kept him from making a play on the ball.

Hermanquickoffballandacrossface_original

This quickness also comes into play when Herman is asked to pull from this guard position. The below clip shows Hermanís ability to remain balanced as he provides a lead block. Donít be surprised if Herman comes off the board earlier than expected.

Hermanpulling_original

Teams are going to fall in love with his combination of athleticism, strength and mean streak.

Blocking in Space: Herman doesnít possess the fluidity to consistently hold up in space. This is why his best position at the next level is at guard. However, heís a good enough athlete to fill in at right tackle in a pinch.

This is only a real possibility if he does a better job keeping his pads down throughout the play.

Hand Fighting: Because of his upper body strength, Herman does a good job velcroing to the defender. In both the run and passing game, he always looks to gain inside handsórather than taking the punch-and-recoil approach.

Herman is absolutely someone capable of controlling the line of scrimmage and the movements of his opponent.

Recovery: The ability to keep a wide base gives Herman a strong anchor. This allows him to remain balanced after the initial contact and quickly re-set. Opponents have a tough time moving Herman off the line or getting a push on the pocket.

Hermanís pad level is the one thing that hinders his recovery. When he gets too high, the defender can use his quickness to compromise Hermanís balance. This makes it more difficult for him to then change direction and react to counter moves.

Technique: Other than some inconsistency with his pad level, Herman plays with good overall technique. He shows a commitment to playing with balance and fighting to gain inside hand placement. These are two of the main keys for all offensive linemen.

Future Role/Versatility: Herman is a guard, but could potentially play right tackle in a pinch. This doesnít mean a team should go in that direction. Moving him to the outside would really play against his strengths as a player.

As far as scheme is concerned, Herman features the skills needed to play in either a zone of power-blocking system.

I think finally I got my wish granted. I was harping all thru out this past weeks the desire to add some mean streak back to our Oline. That kid is a mean SOB. Lets see what coach Pat Flaherty can do with this wild one.

BlessedinBlue22
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Like his pancake blocks, i actually like this pick after i saw the tape. Could replace Snee, and open holes for wilson and brown.. Pugh and Herman Munster over the right side, i like it already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vcaWidey1Y

Eli TO Shockey
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
I think finally I got my wish granted. I was harping all thru out this past weeks the desire to add some mean streak back to our Oline. That kid is a mean SOB. Lets see what coach Pat Flaherty can do with this wild one.

Whats up with Mosley, mccants, and brewer? all were projects but have yet to see the field. Im assuming Herman is another one of those. Sooner or later we'll hit a HR with a late round olineman

BlessedinBlue22
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Whats up with Mosley, mccants, and brewer? all were projects but have yet to see the field. Im assuming Herman is another one of those. Sooner or later we'll hit a HR with a late round olineman

Mc Cants was a turnstile, i like Mosley and Brewer. But both are tackles. Munster could be that guard to open up the run game for Wilson.

G-Men Surg.
04-27-2013, 07:20 PM

About the mean side Mosley played in Auburn with toughness and some nastiness but unfortunatly he landed on IR and didn't saw the field of play. About the rest? I love the competitive atmosphere we are going to see this summer and like you said lets hope Reese strikes gold at least with one of those kids.

Captain Chaos
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
I actually liked that pick, will need some work but we need some youth at OG...

G-Men Surg.
04-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Can't wait to see his presentation with the Giants.

Carter.525
04-27-2013, 11:02 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBMlSFSxo8

#77, Herman is one nasty dude

Rat_bastich
04-28-2013, 05:14 AM
He and Pugh can play patty cake and they'll look like they are kissing...ugh!

PennState1
04-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Why the heck does he always punch the center before every play????

Carter.525
04-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Why the heck does he always punch the center before every play????

I don't know, but he does it every play

King Sully
04-28-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't know, but he does it every play he's letting him know the qb is read for the snap I think

Carter.525
04-28-2013, 02:02 PM
he's letting him know the qb is read for the snap I thinkFor such a big nasty guy, he has real gentle touch..

drewz
04-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Our next Rich Seubert?

slipknottin
04-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Our next Rich Seubert?

similar mentality, rich was really good on the move though, not sure I see that from Herman. But they dont seem to pull him all that much, and instead of getting to the second level on runs, it seems he just buries his guy.

EliIsTheBaas
04-28-2013, 07:51 PM
To the people wondering why he touches his centre, it's to let him know when to snap the ball, he watches the qb who then signals to Herman so that the centre can still make the protection calls.

NYCDBS
04-28-2013, 07:58 PM
32 arms? isn't that small lol

That's for tackles he is going to play guard...

Carter.525
04-28-2013, 08:01 PM
That's for tackles he is going to play guard...no he's a RT..

slipknottin
04-28-2013, 08:05 PM
no he's a RT..

Herman? Herman is a guard.

Both Herman and Pugh have 32" arms.

Carter.525
04-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Herman? Herman is a guard. Both Herman and Pugh have 32" arms.I thought he was taking about Pugh.. Every time I see 32" arms I think of Pugh, I'm getting a complex.. Yes Herman is a guard

B&RWarrior
04-28-2013, 08:57 PM
If he has trouble pass protecting then he will go the way of Petrus. I hope he can play. I would love a mauler on our line.

Carter.525
04-28-2013, 08:59 PM
If he has trouble pass protecting then he will go the way of Petrus. I hope he can play. I would love a mauler on our line.what, get released?

slipknottin
04-28-2013, 10:20 PM
If he has trouble pass protecting then he will go the way of Petrus. I hope he can play. I would love a mauler on our line.

He seems to have better feet than Petrus, but we will see

Carter.525
04-28-2013, 10:22 PM
He seems to have better feet than Petrus, but we will seewith feet like that, surprised Rex Ryan didn't draft him..

drewz
04-28-2013, 10:52 PM
similar mentality, rich was really good on the move though, not sure I see that from Herman. But they dont seem to pull him all that much, and instead of getting to the second level on runs, it seems he just buries his guy.

Yeah he definitely doesn't seem all that athletic, but he looked fine on the runs he went to the 2nd level. But if Pugh eventually is moved to guard, I think it'll be a great combo going forward in the future. He's just what this running game needs.