PDA

View Full Version : Diamond in the Rough: Charles James

bigjeep
04-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Diamond in the Rough: Charles James, DB, Charleston Southern University

Diamond in the Rough, Draft News, Rookies

October 28, 2012

by Damond Talbot

When you think of football, the first state that usually comes to your mind is the state of Florida. Florida has been a very productive state when it comes to producing NFL talent. While many think of Miami, Tampa and Orlando to be the big cities that produce the players, they fail to leave out Jacksonville. Jacksonville is in Duval County which is covers the most ground in Florida, and is the famous walking grounds of one NFL player. No, I am not talking about Rasheen Mathis, or Bob Hayes; Iím talking about TEBOW-MANIA. Tim Tebow is a native of Jacksonville, Florida. Tebow may get all the hype now, but there is a new J-Ville native making a name for himself, from a small school in South Carolina. His name is Charles James, and he is a corner back for the University of Charleston Southern.

http://nfldraftzone.com/draft-news/diamond-in-the-rough-charles-james-db-charleston-southern-university/

bigjeep
04-28-2013, 06:10 AM
WNF Checks in with Charleston Southern CB Charles James

Name: Charles James
School: Charleston Southern
Position: Cornerback
Height: 5'10
Weight: 190 lbs

Player Bio: Charles James is a small school corner that has been turning heads as a potential 2013 NFL Draft sleeper. After walking on to Charleston Southern, Charles amassed a total of 12 interceptions in his 4 years at CSU. James pairs his dangerous return skills along with his cornerback ability and has gone from a walk-on at a D1AA school to an All-American NFL Draft CB prospect. WNF chats with Charles James below.

What would you say is your biggest strength on the field?

I would say I am a technically sound corner back. I have great awareness and feel for the game. I always know where the marker is on 3rd and 4th downs and try to do all the little things right to be the best cornerback I can be. I would also say my footwork and turn & run ability are a strength of mine that sticks out. I am constantly working day in and day out to be the best CB I can possibly be.

What is one area of your game where you can improve?

In the NFL, you can't bump WRs after 5 yards and that is something I will have to get acclimated to. I try to master my craft and do everything well to be the best I possibly can be.

Do you feel you were snubbed by not being invited to the NFL Combine?

Most definitely. I am not so sure how the selection process is carried out but I'll let my resume speak for itself. If it has to do with playing for a smaller school, I feel I proved myself in the games vs. the bigger teams like Illinois, Hawaii, and Florida. Im not too concerned about it. My focus is on being ready to perform on my pro-day.

What 40 yard dash time and you looking to run at your pro-day?

I am not going to put a specific time down. I am a football player. I've been training hard and at the end of the day I plan on running as fast as I possibly can.

If you could compare your game to one NFL CB, who would it be?

If I had to choose one I would go with CB Ladarius Webb of the Ravens. He is a small school guy like me and brings a lot to the table, just like me. He has quick hips, feet, and is always making big plays.

Do you feel like you have more to prove coming from a small school like Charleston Southern?

I didn't get offered a scholarship coming out of high school. Some thought I was too short or too slow. It gives me a little bit of a chip on my shoulder. However, i'm here now to prove I can play with the big guys and that I belong in the NFL.

Who is the best WR you faced in College?

I would say current Packer WR Randall Cobb. He is fast, shifty and im not surprised with the success he is having at the next level.

Have you been in contact with many NFL teams?

At the Raycom Bowl (where Charles received defensive MVP honors) I spoke with about 20 teams which include the Vikings, Steelers, Jaguars, Raiders, and Bengals. It will be a blessing wherever I end up. I'm enjoying the whole process.

Tell us about how you ended up at Charleston Southern?

Well, coming out of high school, I had no offers. My head coach had just passed away so I had to send out the majority of the film by myself to gain interest. I didn't get a lot of responses. However, my HS QB had gone to Charleston Southern and encouraged me to send my film and walk on. I started on the practice squad and by my red-shirt freshmen year, I had worked my way up to a starting position. From there, I just worked hard and earned All-American honors.

What is one thing the average person might not know about Charles James?

I am ranked in the top 100 in the country in Madden online. I am a big gamer.

Captain Chaos
04-28-2013, 06:22 AM
Dates: 03/19/13
Height: 5093
Weight: 184
40 Yrd Dash: 4.49
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.57
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.19
3-Cone Drill: 6.94

Has been clocked at 4.42 in the 40, suppose to be a smart kid, nice pick up!

Got the above from: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120509&draftyear=2013&genpos=CB

Rat_bastich
04-28-2013, 06:24 AM
At least he'll know all the teams' playbooks...he plays Madden.

Interesting grab by the way. I'm realy interested to see what kind of talent some of these small school and undrafted free agents bring.

giantsfam04
04-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Good interview and great answers

nycsportzfan
04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
ya, i was doing some research on him when i noticed we showed interest, and was impressed with him.. I'm more excited to see this kid then some of our draft picks..

L.T.56
04-28-2013, 02:06 PM
who knows, he can turn out to be sort of like the next victor cruz. a udfa coming from a small school. seeing highlights of him he seems to do a good job in coverage especially deep downfield. he also can get his fair share of picks.