PDA

View Full Version : Did the Jets or Giants draft the better QB in this draft?

Dave Brown
04-28-2013, 07:18 AM
It's an interesting question. The knee-jerk answer is that the Jets did in Smith, but I don't know. Watch this guy's highlights. Practically every highlight is him tossing a 4 yard throw to Tavon Austin and then watching Austin run it for 65 yards after the catch. That's a lot of it.

Nassib has an NFL arm and a great mental makeup. Geno Smith looked dejected and pouty in the green room on Thursday night.

I'd rather have Nassib.

You?

bigjeep
04-28-2013, 07:21 AM
It's an interesting question. The knee-jerk answer is that the Jets did in Smith, but I don't know. Watch this guy's highlights. Practically every highlight is him tossing a 4 yard throw to Tavon Austin and then watching Austin run it for 65 yards after the catch. That's a lot of it.

Nassib has an NFL arm and a great mental makeup. Geno Smith looked dejected and pouty in the green room on Thursday night.

I'd rather have Nassib.

You?

Smith will play, Nassib will play with a clipboard!

Dave Brown
04-28-2013, 07:23 AM
That doesn't mean Smith is better though. The Jets are desperate. The Giants are not.

Redeyejedi
04-28-2013, 07:28 AM
According to Russ Lande the Giants made the greatest pick in the history of the NFL getting Nassib. He didnt say that but if U got the #1 player in the draft in the 4th round I would assume thats what he thinks of it.

Giantslb66
04-28-2013, 08:02 AM
This pick makes NO SENSE for the Giants. With quotes from TC like " We hope he never plays" (obviously) and "Maybe in 10 years, I like the guy we have now" Why did they trade up to get a player with that kind of thinking? Arthur Brown made so much more sense than a QB for "10 years" from now.

Flip Empty
04-28-2013, 10:06 AM
This pick makes NO SENSE for the Giants. With quotes from TC like " We hope he never plays" (obviously) and "Maybe in 10 years, I like the guy we have now" Why did they trade up to get a player with that kind of thinking? Arthur Brown made so much more sense than a QB for "10 years" from now.
Value? To keep him away from other teams? They wanted a new backup? Options?

Giantslb66
04-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Little Value compared to other needs, If we have to play the "keep him away from other teams" game, we're screwed, Carr is fine as aback up for this year, Options? LBs, LBs, LBs!!!!

BlueSanta
04-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Prior to the draft people on these boards always rave about how we always pick BPA, and how we pick value before need. it is a point of pride.

After the draft, people always whine when we either pick a guy at a position we don't need, or when we don't pick a guy at a position people claim we need

Flip Empty
04-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Little Value compared to other needs, If we have to play the "keep him away from other teams" game, we're screwed, Carr is fine as aback up for this year, Options? LBs, LBs, LBs!!!!

This year, but what about next, and the year after that? Nassib becomes locked in as a backup for four or so years, and will earn next to nothing.
Options? Come the expiration of Eli's contract in 2016, the team will have the option of extending him or moving forward with Nassib (should he progress well, obviously). Failing that, they extend Eli and possibly trade Nassib.

LBs, LBs, LBs... this team has plenty already. Average, sure, but this is the fourth round, remember. They'd have been drafting yet another "project".

The Broncos drafted Brock Osweiler in the 2nd; the Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet in the 3rd; the Steelers drafted Landry Jones in the 4th. This move really isn't that strange.

B&RWarrior
04-28-2013, 10:54 AM
He can learn and develop in the Manning mastery practices of a good QB. He's no threat to Eli, but we may not need to have that one bad season to get a good QB when it comes time for Eli to retire.

TheAnalyst
04-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Nassib >>>> Smith

Trust me. Not just being a Cuse homer, but Nassib is 10x the QB that Smith is. You will see. Geno benifited from dumping the ball off to Austin and Bailey all game long. Plus he is a ****y, "I have already been crowned" kinda QB. NY will eat him up and spit him out. Oh, and Nassib can play in the snow and cold and wind. Smith, LOL. Wishes he was in Miami.

I also feel Nassib is better the Barkley.

Cloud57
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
People here always try to convince themselves that the players we drafted are better than they actually are.

TheAnalyst
04-28-2013, 12:36 PM
People here always try to convince themselves that the players we drafted are better than they actually are.I was saying that before we drafted him. Personally, I think that 4th round QB run took the best QBs of the class. Nassib, Wilson and Jones, in my opinion are better QBs then Smith and Barkley.

Broadway Blue
04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
If I were the Jets I would had took Nassib over Smith

speedman
04-28-2013, 01:11 PM
People here always try to convince themselves that the players we drafted are better than they actually are. Are the people that crushed Reese for this draft trying to convince themselves that the people we took suck?

nycsportzfan
04-28-2013, 01:24 PM
According to Russ Lande the Giants made the greatest pick in the history of the NFL getting Nassib. He didnt say that but if U got the #1 player in the draft in the 4th round I would assume thats what he thinks of it. I woulden't mind as much if we made the playoffs last yr and could afford a luxury pick, but were not even a playoff team right now, and have Dan Connor slated to start at MLB, and Keith "cant stay healthy" Rivers playing SLB for us.. Does Reese realize we didn't make the playoffs last yr?

Cool Papa B.
04-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Smith is the new age NFL Quarterback- mobile and plays like a RB who happens to throw the ball. Nassib is the traditional QB.

Both guys have some polishing up to do before they can be good/really good QB's. I would say Nassib is the better choice only because we still don't know how durable these knew running QB's will be in the long run. But we do know the value of a traditional pocket-throwing QB.

Ask me that question in about 3 years and I would be able to give a better answer.

myles2424
04-28-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm sorry to offend anyone, but there's a reason that all the teams that needed QBs passed on Nassib until the 4th....and nobody else had the idea to do what we're doing? Ehhh, idk about this one...

fletch842
04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
and...

When EJ Manual fails miserably in Buffalo, we can trade him there for a 1st or 2 :rolleyes:

TheAnalyst
04-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Smith is the new age NFL Quarterback- mobile and plays like a RB who happens to throw the ball. Nassib is the traditional QB.Actually, Nassib is a mobile QB. He can scramble. In fact, he may be more of a scrambler then Gebo. Nassib reminds ne a bit of Romo with his mobility. Geno really doesn't run much. He isn't RG3, or even Luck running the ball.

TheAnalyst
04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
In fact, last year, Nassib ran the ball 84 times for 142 yards while Geno ran it 66 times for 152 yards.

Geno Smith is not the "new" type QB some might think. Just simply being a black QB doesnt mean he is a running QB.

The Jets are going to regret drafting him.

DT2012
04-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Not being Biased here at all I think Nassib is the better of the 2 QB's. Geno Smith is you typical Vick/RG3 type QB. He is to willing to run the ball and risk serious injury. Personally I feel much safer with a pocket QB over a guy like Geno Smith who is a great QB, but its the style QB he is that to me just makes him a liability. The Jets now have 6 QB's on their roster. Maybe getting some offensive weapons like WR's a TE or RB would give someone like Sanchez the ability to win games. Personally I would have taken Jeff Lacy instead of Smith.

BlessedinBlue22
04-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Value? To keep him away from other teams? They wanted a new backup? Options?

They got scared when Philly picked Barkley. Who i like alot, and i believe under performed because of that shoulder injury. Phillly got a guy who a top 10 pick from the beggining in Barkley, so did couldn't keep a good QB away. Plus philly has Foles too who i think will beat out Vick eventually.

Redeyejedi
04-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Not being Biased here at all I think Nassib is the better of the 2 QB's. Geno Smith is you typical Vick/RG3 type QB. He is to willing to run the ball and risk serious injury. Personally I feel much safer with a pocket QB over a guy like Geno Smith who is a great QB, but its the style QB he is that to me just makes him a liability. The Jets now have 6 QB's on their roster. Maybe getting some offensive weapons like WR's a TE or RB would give someone like Sanchez the ability to win games. Personally I would have taken Jeff Lacy instead of Smith.Geno Smith is nothing like RG3 or Vick. He isnt a mobile QB outside the pocket. RG3 and Vick can win a game with their legs , Geno Smith cant do that. He moves around and buys time well but he wont get outside and butcher u.

nycsportzfan
04-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Ryan Nassib reminds me of Chad Henne personally.. I think Chad Henne was a much better prospect though.. I just don't see much more then a spot starter, hes not overly tall, he isn't exactly super accurate, and he isnt overly mobile.. He resembles Chad Henne a ton...

Redeyejedi
04-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I was saying that before we drafted him. Personally, I think that 4th round QB run took the best QBs of the class. Nassib, Wilson and Jones, in my opinion are better QBs then Smith and Barkley.Its not a ridiculous claim. None of these guys stood out to me. I thought EJ Manuel had horrible tape. he is very unnatural throwing the ball.I recognize his physical ability I just never thought he looked like a QB.My favorite tape of all the QB's is Tyler Wilsons 2011 season.

nycsportzfan
04-28-2013, 06:37 PM
I would of just passed on all these QB's.. I don't think one of these QB's makes any of there teams better, and if any are forced into action, its advantage other team..

Redeyejedi
04-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Ryan Nassib reminds me of Chad Henne personally.. I think Chad Henne was a much better prospect though.. I just don't see much more then a spot starter, hes not overly tall, he isn't exactly super accurate, and he isnt overly mobile.. He resembles Chad Henne a ton...He is short and intermediate accurate. He throws a poor deep ball and thats a big problem in the NFL. Teams will clamp down on the short stuff. If u cant beat the D over the top the offense will struggle

nycsportzfan
04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
He is short and intermediate accurate. He throws a poor deep ball and thats a big problem in the NFL. Teams will clamp down on the short stuff. If u cant beat the D over the top the offense will struggle I watched a ton of Syracuse, and u can see posts i made where i wanted to pull my hair out wathing Ryan Nassib blow wide open throws.. Even on short to intermediete throws, hes gonna have a tough time seeing over the length in the NFL and hes gotta have very clear passing lanes.. Again, i see no diffrence between Nassib and Henne.. Neither is anything to write home about, and if the giants are suck using Nassib for any length, were in trouble...

BlessedinBlue22
04-28-2013, 06:48 PM
I really liked the Jets draft. They got the best CB in the draft to replace a NEED in losing Revis. An athletic DT, no injury or character issues. Then a QB who has an arm and was slated to go no.1 in the draft. Not to mention the Guard we wanted in Brian WInters, and a Hynoski type Fullback. I like the way the Jets draft, and i liked coples, wilkerson, mike de vito, Greene, Mangold all their picks, except for Sanchez of course lol.

TheAnalyst
04-28-2013, 06:48 PM
I watched a ton of Syracuse, and u can see posts i made where i wanted to pull my hair out wathing Ryan Nassib blow wide open throws.. Even on short to intermediete throws, hes gonna have a tough time seeing over the length in the NFL and hes gotta have very clear passing lanes.. Again, i see no diffrence between Nassib and Henne.. Neither is anything to write home about, and if the giants are suck using Nassib for any length, were in trouble...

I am hoping we use him in the 2013 and 2014 preseasons, and trade him to Oakland or Arizona or Buffalo for a solid 1st rounder or 2nd plus.

Flip Empty
04-28-2013, 07:05 PM
I really liked the Jets draft. They got the best CB in the draft to replace a NEED in losing Revis. An athletic DT, no injury or character issues. Then a QB who has an arm and was slated to go no.1 in the draft. Not to mention the Guard we wanted in Brian WInters, and a Hynoski type Fullback. I like the way the Jets draft, and i liked coples, wilkerson, mike de vito, Greene, Mangold all their picks, except for Sanchez of course lol.

I liked the Chris Ivory acquisition, too. As part of a platoon, he should be very effective.

nycsportzfan
04-28-2013, 07:27 PM
I am hoping we use him in the 2013 and 2014 preseasons, and trade him to Oakland or Arizona or Buffalo for a solid 1st rounder or 2nd plus. Id be happy to get equal value in trade for the guy... I used to love Nassib when he was a 7th rd draft prospect back in September, but as a 4th rder, i find it very avg..

Joe Morrison
04-29-2013, 07:13 AM
It's not know yet, what we do know is that the GMEN will work to see what they have while the Jets will throw him to the wolves when Sancheese fails again, + Jets have now weapons on offense, so I think the GMEN will have the better man when the need comes.