PDA

View Full Version : Will Hankins and Joseph play together?

nycsportzfan
04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
They remind me somewhat of eachother, anyone think they play together alot or at all or sometimes?

BlessedinBlue22
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
I think they are both Thumpers. More likely Linval and Jenkins..We need some kind of pass rush up the middle. In running downs, or most first downs i believe they could use Linval and Hankins. Good push up the middle. And Hankins and Sabino played together, they make a nice combo.

Captain Chaos
04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I think there may be a time like a short yardage set up that may call for the beef. Other than that it will be nice to have someone that can spell Joseph.

nycsportzfan
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I think there may be a time like a short yardage set up that may call for the beef. Other than that it will be nice to have someone that can spell Joseph. Ya, so u think its more in case we lose Linval down the line then, because why draft a guy that will be a backup? U don 't draft a guy 49th overall to give a guy a spell... I'm hoping they figure out a way to use em both.. Linval does offer some pass rush ability, so maybe they attempt to use em both..

juice33s
04-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Don't see why not, the most dominant Defense I ever saw (2000 Ravens) played Sam Adams and Siragusa in their base 4/3. Both of them were nose tackle types

nycsportzfan
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Don't see why not, the most dominant Defense I ever saw (2000 Ravens) played Sam Adams and Siragusa in their base 4/3. Both of them were nose tackle types Back in 2000, NFL's weren't so pass happy as they are today though, and they didn't have so many QB's who can avoid big burly DT's.. It was a diffrent time back in 2000 another words...

Carter.525
04-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Joseph and Big Hank will be a good run stuffing combo, I'm excited to see it..

BlueSanta
04-29-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm sure it will happen on short yardage situations or clear rushing downs. But, I don't think it will happen too much otherwise.

In fact, I think Hankins was drafted to replace Linval who is entering a contract year. Linval is going to get a LOT of offers next offseason, barring injury. There are a number of 34 teams that would love to steal him away. Considering how many big name free agents we have next year, and considering that he might get big offers elsewhere, I could see the Giants being forced to let Linval walk.

GTGiantsFan
04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Linval can give some good push on passing down no doubt, I don't think Joseph would command too much in the open market though so I don't see us letting him go. Cofield/Robbins maybe? Cofield was faster than Linval I think but he also wasn't a specilized rusher.

Captain Chaos
04-30-2013, 05:53 AM
Ya, so u think its more in case we lose Linval down the line then, because why draft a guy that will be a backup? U don 't draft a guy 49th overall to give a guy a spell... I'm hoping they figure out a way to use em both.. Linval does offer some pass rush ability, so maybe they attempt to use em both..

Isn't Joseph coming up FA this year, you certainly want youth in the wings to cover the potential loss of one of your key starters on the D Line. The first year I would say back up...

nycsportzfan
04-30-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm sure it will happen on short yardage situations or clear rushing downs. But, I don't think it will happen too much otherwise.

In fact, I think Hankins was drafted to replace Linval who is entering a contract year. Linval is going to get a LOT of offers next offseason, barring injury. There are a number of 34 teams that would love to steal him away. Considering how many big name free agents we have next year, and considering that he might get big offers elsewhere, I could see the Giants being forced to let Linval walk.

Thats pretty much what i thought, and i don't know if i care for the idea of spending 2of4 picks for down the line when we should be focusing on winning titles now, when our QB is in his prime and we got enough pieces in place to be a true contender.. But , another part of me understands trying to set up longterm as well, being that Reese is trying to keep his job , and has to worry about seasons beyond this yr..

nycsportzfan
04-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Linval can give some good push on passing down no doubt, I don't think Joseph would command too much in the open market though so I don't see us letting him go. Cofield/Robbins maybe? Cofield was faster than Linval I think but he also wasn't a specilized rusher. I think Linval is gonna command big dollars.. U look at what guys with less then Linvals numbers get on the open market, and its crazy, now add in a possibly little better then last yr for Linval which many expect, and hes gonna be in high demand.. With Nicks and Cruz demanding big dollars most likely, and ELI all ready seeing big dollars, and Prince Amukumuara and JPP not to far down the line, i could easily see Hankins as Linvals replacement , which i don't know if i like, but u never know, i suppose.. Linva as u said , can get more pressure on the QB then Hankins, or at least thats what it seems, albeit, u never do know for sure yet, and I don't see another pass rush interior pressence on the roster either outside of Cullen Jenkins, who very well could be a 1yr stop gap.. Kuhn could possibly be that guy, i suppose? Either way, i'm a huge Linval Joseph fan, and I'm kinda seeing the writing on the wall with this Hankins pick, and I just wanted to see if i was alone, and thats why i started this thread..

penguinfarmer
04-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Baltimore still tries to utilize a stacked interior with Ngata and Kemoeatu. Even drafted Terrance Cody. However, Ngata can play anywhere on the line.

I hope to keep Joseph though.

Kruunch
04-30-2013, 08:05 AM
They remind me somewhat of eachother, anyone think they play together alot or at all or sometimes?

I think you'll see a lot of two down sets with Hankins and Joseph (especially if Hankins pans out the way he's being billed).

GTGiantsFan
04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
I think Linval is gonna command big dollars.. U look at what guys with less then Linvals numbers get on the open market, and its crazy, now add in a possibly little better then last yr for Linval which many expect, and hes gonna be in high demand.. With Nicks and Cruz demanding big dollars most likely, and ELI all ready seeing big dollars, and Prince Amukumuara and JPP not to far down the line, i could easily see Hankins as Linvals replacement , which i don't know if i like, but u never know, i suppose.. Linva as u said , can get more pressure on the QB then Hankins, or at least thats what it seems, albeit, u never do know for sure yet, and I don't see another pass rush interior pressence on the roster either outside of Cullen Jenkins, who very well could be a 1yr stop gap.. Kuhn could possibly be that guy, i suppose? Either way, i'm a huge Linval Joseph fan, and I'm kinda seeing the writing on the wall with this Hankins pick, and I just wanted to see if i was alone, and thats why i started this thread.. I don't know, there were plenty of good DT prospects in the draft so I hoped that would soften the market down. In the end I do feel like you, in that this is gonna be the last year in a Giants uniform for Joseph. I think it's a mistake because I believe Hankins is way more one dimensional than Joseph, and just won't ever be as good as he is. And if we keep Joseph I just don't know how he fits in and that Hankins is a waste because if one of them can't get any pass rush then look out for a passing attack. I hope we get to have both l, meaning one gets a lot better in rushing the passer or I just think the pick was a waste because I don't see him being better than Joseph.

Giant303
04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I could see them playing on 1st and 2nd down. they have tons of flexibility if Rogers makes the team maybe him and hankins will be in on 1st and 2nd downs. then bring in jenkins,joseph,moore,jpp, and kiwi(at lb) and rush the crap out of the QB.

DT2012
04-30-2013, 07:54 PM
LInval is in a contract year but I don't see the GIants letting him go. If we go by numbers ok we just signed Jenkins given they play different techniques but Jenkins is good for more sacks and plays the run just as well. Linval has held the line up front for the Giants very well and he is a very good DT but I can't see him demanding crazy money. He is no Ngata or Suh. And I don't believe the Giants signed Hankins to become Bigger up front only to let Linval go a year later. The Giants are gonna cut some fat after this season is over and they will no doubt keep Joseph and JPP. I don't see Tuck getting a new contract unless he has a 10 plus sack season. Marvin Austin is GONE if he doesn't show some promise this year and do something with the play time he is given. Sean Rodgers is Old and I don't see him being apart of this team after this year either. I think he is here to groom Hankins and teach him as much as possible.

BlueSanta
04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
LInval is in a contract year but I don't see the GIants letting him go. If we go by numbers ok we just signed Jenkins given they play different techniques but Jenkins is good for more sacks and plays the run just as well. Linval has held the line up front for the Giants very well and he is a very good DT but I can't see him demanding crazy money. He is no Ngata or Suh. And I don't believe the Giants signed Hankins to become Bigger up front only to let Linval go a year later. The Giants are gonna cut some fat after this season is over and they will no doubt keep Joseph and JPP. I don't see Tuck getting a new contract unless he has a 10 plus sack season. Marvin Austin is GONE if he doesn't show some promise this year and do something with the play time he is given. Sean Rodgers is Old and I don't see him being apart of this team after this year either. I think he is here to groom Hankins and teach him as much as possible.

It isn't a matter of "letting him go"

it is a matter of having enough to sign him. Look how many big name free agents that we have next year and then tell me where we will find money to be competitive with the offers that Linval is likely to get, or any of the others.

No matter how we cut it this team is going to look very very different in 2014 than it does in 2013. We simply cannot afford to keep some of the high priced guys we have. I would hope we do not lose Linval but it is entirely possible considering the sheer number of people we have to resign.

CGYgiant
04-30-2013, 09:44 PM

it is a matter of having enough to sign him. Look how many big name free agents that we have next year and then tell me where we will find money to be competitive with the offers that Linval is likely to get, or any of the others.

No matter how we cut it this team is going to look very very different in 2014 than it does in 2013. We simply cannot afford to keep some of the high priced guys we have. I would hope we do not lose Linval but it is entirely possible considering the sheer number of people we have to resign.

Which is fine, Linval is solid but nothing spectacular. This pick might have actually saved us some money next off-season. Joseph is replaceable, just like Coefield was.

Toadofsteel
04-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I'd love to see a 3 DT formation where a LB is replaced (alternatively, have a 3rd DT stand up at MLB) for short yardage run defense.

DT2012
05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I like Linval but he was not overly impressive last year. He didn't play well against the run at all!!! He is 320lbs he should be able to eat up some space. Now its not all his fault the entire D played horrid against the run. But this is why I don't see any team throwing big money at Joseph. He was expected to be a Pro Bowler by now and he hasn't shown that kind of play steady enough. I am eager to see how things playout this year and next year as a fan just go with whatever happens. I still think Hankins is gonna turn out to be much better than many think.

Redeyejedi
05-06-2013, 08:11 PM

No matter how we cut it this team is going to look very very different in 2014 than it does in 2013. We simply cannot afford to keep some of the high priced guys we have. I would hope we do not lose Linval but it is entirely possible considering the sheer number of people we have to resign.He is as good as gone. Nicks,JPP, and Cruz are going to cost us 25 million easy a year there wont be money for Linval

BlueSanta
05-07-2013, 09:54 AM
He is as good as gone. Nicks,JPP, and Cruz are going to cost us 25 million easy a year there wont be money for Linval

I agree. I guess I was just trying to break it to people softly heh. I think Linval is as good as gone provided he has a relatively injury free year.

BlueBlitzer
05-13-2013, 07:20 PM
They remind me somewhat of each other, anyone think they play together a lot or at all or sometimes?

I would love to see AP run up the middle on Monday Night and get Swallowed Up.

Cool Papa B.
05-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I can see Hankins playing along side Joseph later in the season after he has won the trust of the coaching staff. I'm anxious to see how his speed and agility translates in the NFL.

I can't see the the Giants letting Joseph go after this season though. Regardless of how quick Hankins develops. They'll restructure a few contracts if they have to. He's young and still a solid DT.

With that being said, Marvin Austin is in trouble! He better come out like a man possessed this summer or he'll be the odd man out.

Redeyejedi
05-16-2013, 08:03 PM
I can see Hankins playing along side Joseph later in the season after he has won the trust of the coaching staff. I'm anxious to see how his speed and agility translates in the NFL.

I can't see the the Giants letting Joseph go after this season though. Regardless of how quick Hankins develops. They'll restructure a few contracts if they have to. He's young and still a solid DT.

With that being said, Marvin Austin is in trouble! He better come out like a man possessed this summer or he'll be the odd man out.So was Coefield and they replaced him. I like Linval a lot I want to keep him but I dont think he is an irreplaceable guy like JPP

giantsfan420
05-26-2013, 05:16 AM
why woudnt we? pretty safe to say that if u matchup with the OL player 1v1, theres flaws in a second business

B&RWarrior
06-01-2013, 01:34 PM
I think there may be a time like a short yardage set up that may call for the beef. Other than that it will be nice to have someone that can spell Joseph.

He'll replace Joseph if he doesn't get more consistent.

B&RWarrior
06-01-2013, 01:46 PM
So was Coefield and they replaced him. I like Linval a lot I want to keep him but I dont think he is an irreplaceable guy like JPP

After last season's debacle no DT should even have a gauranteed starting spot. I'd call for an open competition in camp. Last year's run defense was shameful and despite what most posters on this board think Joseph was a part of that shame . He made good plays, but he got smacked around a lot too, and I'm talking about one on one.

Hank is more powerful than Joseph. We may end up letting Joseph go at the end of the season if he doesn't improve from last year. We certainly won't match a big contract from another team without improved performance. I'd like to keep both of them because.

DT2012
06-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Hopefully this year the guys inside on the D-Line play much better. With all the new additions the Giants have hopefully it helps Linval out so he can make more plays and bigger plays. I hope guys like Big Hank, Marvin Austin and others really come out and show what they can do. I would love nothing more than to have the competition be so close at DT the coaches have a hard time choosing the rotation.

CrunchBunch1982
09-01-2013, 12:08 AM
I doubt Hankins plays much early on the way the other DT's played.

Mr.TRUEBLUE
10-12-2013, 06:54 AM
Wish we kept Canty dont think we would be having our pass rush problems if we did ..at least not to the extent we do now