PDA

View Full Version : The Giants still have nine unsigned unrestricted free agents.

luni
05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
The Giants still have nine unsigned unrestricted free agents. Here's the remaining list ...

I would really like to see sean locklear back or barden.

WR Rames Barden

TE Travis Beckum

DT Rocky Bernard

CB Bruce Johnson

OL Sean Locklear

RB Kregg Lumpkin

CB Justin Tryon

K Lawrence Tynes

CB Brian Witherspoon

Rudyy
05-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Barden needs to go..

darrin99
05-03-2013, 09:32 AM
I think Locklear's career may be over after that injury. I wouldn't mind Barden coming back at the minimum. The others can all move on.

luni
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
if locklear was able to recover, hed be an upgrade over deihl

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Barden needs to go.. +1

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 09:38 AM
if locklear was able to recover, hed be an upgrade over deihl He wasn't an upgrade over Diehl when he was playing.

wayoutwest
05-03-2013, 09:39 AM
does anybody know what the status is for Sean Locklear ? I would like to see him back.

Carter.525
05-03-2013, 09:44 AM
does anybody know what the status is for Sean Locklear ? I would like to see him back.

good question, haven't heard anything..

nhpgiantsfan
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
He wasn't an upgrade over Diehl when he was playing.

I thought the line was better with Locklear at RT. Not much better but I do think he was an upgrade.

darrin99
05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I thought the line was better with Locklear at RT. Not much better but I do think he was an upgrade.

I thought Locklear played very well.

Kruunch
05-03-2013, 09:52 AM
The Giants still have nine unsigned unrestricted free agents. Here's the remaining list ...

WR Rames Barden

TE Travis Beckum

DT Rocky Bernard

CB Bruce Johnson

OL Sean Locklear

RB Kregg Lumpkin

CB Justin Tryon

K Lawrence Tynes

CB Brian Witherspoon

The Giants have 252252252 unsigned free agents.

This is just a list of FAs who were on the Giants last year and are no longer with the team.

ryan12
05-03-2013, 09:52 AM

yes he was line produced when locklear played

Kruunch
05-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Seriously ... I think old grandmothers hold less.

GameTime
05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
none of them are necessary to the Giants overall success

G-Men Surg.
05-03-2013, 10:13 AM
They are as good as gone. I don't know if the Giants will reconsider bringing back Tryon, Bruce Johnson or Witherspoon for depth, still very thin at CB.

B-Red22
05-03-2013, 10:25 AM

What games were you watching? The line played so much better when Deihl wasn't on the field

Drez
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
And none of them are going to get signed. Maybe Witherspoon. Other than that, all of them are now "former Giants."

Drez
05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
What games were you watching? The line played so much better when Deihl wasn't on the fieldLocklear's play, while a little better than Diehl's, wasn't much better than average. In fact, I think he graded out as -2 by PFF.

darrin99
05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
What games were you watching? The line played so much better when Deihl wasn't on the field

I agree, but that might have been the problem. Diehl was so bad last season, he made Locklear look good.

Kruunch
05-03-2013, 10:41 AM

All of them and no they didn't.

Flip Empty
05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm glad the Beckum project is over.

B-Red22
05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
All of them and no they didn't.

Locklear played bettet than Deihl last season and it wasn't even close, not saying I want him resigned because I dont, but it is hard to play worse than Deihl did last year

Carter.525
05-03-2013, 11:07 AM

here here

fansince69
05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm glad the Beckum project is over.But he's soooo tall......hope that didn't need to be in red

TheAnalyst
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
IMO, Barden needs to go because we never use him. So does JJ. We wont use the dude ever.

Locklear should get a 1yr deal to come back if healthy.

I also would look hard at Bruce Johnson and Witherspoon for CB depth. Tynes too since we didnt go after a kicker in the draft.

TheAnalyst
05-03-2013, 11:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFr4YQ9tzA

I just feel like the Pats would use this dude the right way and make him a legit threat.

Carter.525
05-03-2013, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFr4YQ9tzA

I just feel like the Pats would use this dude the right way and make him a legit threat.

the only big play Beckum ever made with the Giants..... and it was a great one..

fansince69
05-03-2013, 11:36 AM
But he's soooo tall......hope that didn't need to be in redwhoops my bad...I thought I read Barden...

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 11:52 AM

When PFF graded them out the difference was negligible.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Technically, I think they are no longer players "we have."

Roosevelt
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM

I was still waiting for it to begin.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 11:56 AM

That's really not true, but I'm not going to change your opinion.

Kruunch
05-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Locklear played bettet than Deihl last season and it wasn't even close, not saying I want him resigned because I dont, but it is hard to play worse than Deihl did last year

Still incorrect.

Watch the games again.

B-Red22
05-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Still incorrect.

Watch the games again.

I was gonna tell u the same thing crunch, usually I agree with your opinions too sir.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
yes he was line produced when locklear played

When PFF graded them out at the end of the year the difference between them was surprisingly not significant.

Kruunch
05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I was gonna tell u the same thing crunch, usually I agree with your opinions too sir.

Diehl and Locklear gave up similar sacks and pressures. Locklear had more penalties.

Beatty had a couple of huge whiff highlights that fans focused on, hence the perceived difference. In actuality, DD is a much better OT than Locklear ever was and was about the same last year.

ShakeandBake
05-03-2013, 12:21 PM
When PFF graded them out at the end of the year the difference between them was surprisingly not significant.

They both suck, and thats why I think people are nuts if they think we are not going to at least try to plug in Pugh at RT.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 12:25 PM
They both suck, and thats why I think people are nuts if they think we are not going to at least try to plug in Pugh at RT.

Locklear's career is likely to be over. Diehl is a rotational player now so we can only hope Pugh can impress in camp and take the job.

ShakeandBake
05-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Locklear's career is likely to be over. Diehl is a rotational player now so we can only hope Pugh can impress in camp and take the job.

Yeah I think Diehl would be better off as a rotational guy inside best case scenario. He is just too slow laterally to keep up with anyone who has speed on the outside.

Kruunch
05-03-2013, 01:31 PM

Well I wouldn't say "suck" considering the lack of sacks given up in general. People are a little too extreme in their appraisals imo.

But I agree that Pugh is most likely the front runner in the RT competition this summer.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Well I wouldn't say "suck" considering the lack of sacks given up in general. People are a little too extreme in their appraisals imo.

But I agree that Pugh is most likely the front runner in the RT competition this summer.

The key will be if Pugh can learn quickly enough. Camp should be really interesting

bigjeep
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM

WR Rames Barden

TE Travis Beckum

DT Rocky Bernard

CB Bruce Johnson

OL Sean Locklear

RB Kregg Lumpkin

CB Justin Tryon

K Lawrence Tynes

CB Brian Witherspoon

They are not signed because none is worth a damn!

TroyArcher
05-03-2013, 02:14 PM
It would be nice if Tynes could come back

njg85m
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
It would be nice if Tynes could come back

From a nostalgic point of view as a guy who kicked us to two super bowls I completely agree.

Other than that, I have to ask, Why?

DownWitJPP
05-03-2013, 03:00 PM
we won't re-sign any of them. IMO Locklear played much better then Diehl but that injury prob ended his career

myles2424
05-03-2013, 03:06 PM
He wasn't an upgrade over Diehl when he was playing. dude what team were you watching? I believe it was monday night football that we benhced Locklear & diehl came back from injury, and even the announcers questioned the coaching call to bench locklear because things got noticably worse with diehl back in the line up...

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 03:10 PM
dude what team were you watching? I believe it was monday night football that we benhced Locklear & diehl came back from injury, and even the announcers questioned the coaching call to bench locklear because things got noticably worse with diehl back in the line up...

At the end of the season PFF ranked them both and they were almost identical in terms of rank. They acknowledged the final result was surprising.

njg85m
05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
At the end of the season PFF ranked them both and they were almost identical in terms of rank. They acknowledged the final result was surprising.

It isn't all that surprising to be honest. Way too many fans here seem to think that Locklears perceived 'quickness' advantage over Diehl somehow equated to increased production at the position.Which in reality isn't true at all, but you know how things go here.....

edit: spelling

DownWitJPP
05-03-2013, 03:16 PM
has nothing to do with Locklear's quickness..his pass blocking was much better than Diehl's at RT

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
It isn't all that surprising to be honest. Way too many fans here seem to think that Locklears perceived 'quickness' advantage over Dieh somehowl equated to increased production at the position.Which in reality isn't true at all, but you know how things go here.....

Most fans look at sacks as the only barometer to measure for Olinemen. The truth is hurries are far more frequent and less noticeable to the naked eye. If Pugh can start, it doesn't matter. If he can't, Diehl may start because Locklear's injury was serious and it wold not surprise me if his career was over. We have Brewer, McCants, and Mosley but none of them have shown any flashes that I can recall.

njg85m
05-03-2013, 03:21 PM
has nothing to do with Locklear's quickness..his pass blocking was much better than Diehl's at RT

And again, every available statistic disagrees with your opinion.

DownWitJPP
05-03-2013, 03:22 PM
McCants......OH man, he may be the worst one out of the whole bunch. OMG was he awful in pre-seaon.

DownWitJPP
05-03-2013, 03:22 PM
And again, every available statistic disagrees with your opinion. where are these statistics that your claiming and not posting?

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 03:24 PM
McCants......OH man, he may be the worst one out of the whole bunch. OMG was he awful in pre-seaon.

I hope at least one of them has improved.

DownWitJPP
05-03-2013, 03:25 PM
I hope at least one of them has improved. I think Brewer and Mosley will be ok. Brewer will make a nice backup RT and Mosley might challenge for a guard position next season

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 03:29 PM
I think Brewer and Mosley will be ok. Brewer will make a nice backup RT and Mosley might challenge for a guard position next season

I am expecting Diehl and possibly Snee to be gone next season. I hope you're right about Brewer and Mosley.

giantsfan420
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
krunch-ur opinion of DD and Lockler is dead wrong, esp the "DD is a better T than Lockler ever was or will be and were the same last yr"

For starters, Lockler was an 8 yr starting vet for Seattle iirc, he was their RT that SB season. 2nd, one season he played LT when their staple LT was hurt for the year. 3rd, while the PFF grade between the 2 individually may have not been drastic (altho still in Locklers favor), the line as a unit performed better when Lockler was in in a majority of the aspects. If u go by PFF grade, DD ended up having a better yr than several OT's that he simply did not outperform. IIRC, it was enigma or another respected poster here who raised the credibility issue for that 1 specific aspect and challeneged the validity, but it was a long time ago.
Point is, DD is a great Giant. that said, id take a healthy Lockler over DD at this point any day of the week and twice on sunday

DownWitJPP
05-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I am expecting Diehl and possibly Snee to be gone next season. I hope you're right about Brewer and Mosley. that is exactly what I was thinking. Snee already hinted at possible retirement and Diehl just doesn't look like the same player anymore.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 03:35 PM
that is exactly what I was thinking. Snee already hinted at possible retirement and Diehl just doesn't look like the same player anymore.

Diehl will be OK in rotation and Snee needs to start thinking about retirement. He hinted at that when he went to the Pro Bowl saying he may not have another chance.

njg85m
05-03-2013, 03:50 PM
where are these statistics that your claiming and not posting?

Just looking at PFF as Roanoke mentioned for example. It's a pretty tricky site to navigate through, but if you spend a little time you can find all of the information there. In fact, they even mention how in real time they would think DD would score much lower than he actually does, but when the plays are reviewed he is not at all as bad as some fans made him out to be. He scores similarly to Locklear last year. There is no huge gap.

Clearly we need a long term solution and neither of them are it -- But I'm just pointing out that this idea that Locklear performed at a much better level than Diehl did last year is absolutely false and has no basis in truth.

jomo
05-03-2013, 03:52 PM

WR Rames Barden

TE Travis Beckum

DT Rocky Bernard

CB Bruce Johnson

OL Sean Locklear

RB Kregg Lumpkin

CB Justin Tryon

K Lawrence Tynes

CB Brian WitherspoonAll pretty worthless unless Locklear has fully recovered. Tynes is done here I am pretty sure of that.

ShakeandBake
05-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Would you feel better if I said they are both pretty bad and are easily upgradable?

Flip Empty
05-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Tynes too since we didnt go after a kicker in the draft.

Josh Brown was signed, though.

myles2424
05-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Idk how they rank, but all I know is & what everyone else saw was our oline went from crap, to actually having a few games that they looked ok (locklear) in line up & then diehl came back and back to crap....perhaps he had a few decent games that brought his ranking up. ..but the change within a week of having him & then losing him to locklear, the change was very noticable

BlueSanta
05-03-2013, 08:49 PM
where are these statistics that your claiming and not posting?

I have some stats.

Giants 2012 with each starter:

DD as starter: 4wins 6 Losses.
Avg Net yards per game with DD as starter: 338
Avg points scored: 25.3

Locklear as starter: 5 wins and 1 loss
Avg Net yards per game with SL as starter: 383.5
Avg points scored: 29.3

* please note that DD started the Tampa game but was injured early in the 1st quarter when the game was tied 3-3. Locklear came in and the biggest offensive explosion of the entire season ensued. Yet, because DD started this 602 yard and 41 point game the stats are all credited to DD. Without that game the stats are markedly lopsided in Locklear's favor, even moreso than they already are.

Now you can quote PFF all you want about individual performance. The fact is this team played MUCH better with Sean as the starter. The offense played MUCH better in particular. We had out best rushing performances with him in the game as well.

Typically, you wont hear me criticize TC. But, there were a lot of mistakes made by players last year and they have been discussed to death on these boards. The coaches made some mistakes too, and I believe the biggest 1 of the year was not following the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Our offense was on fire up until the Steelers game where the season took a decided turn for the worse. What changed for the Steelers game you ask? DD returned as the starter. It's not the only reason for the nose dive, but it is a reason and 1 that could have and should have been avoided.

There were some other notable changes in the offense with DD as the starter that mentioned during the season, but I wont go into it on this thread. Suffice to say the Giants were clearly worried about him and gave him a lot more help than they ever did Sean Locklear

DownWitJPP
05-03-2013, 09:03 PM
thanks, this somewhat proves my point. I just asked for the stats because he said every available stat disagree's with me.. guess not

speedman
05-04-2013, 06:40 AM
The team played much better with Locklear at tackle. It was obvious they felt they had to give Diehl more help which took away a good part of our offense.

Captain Chaos
05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
If Cruz doesn't sign, I could see them bringing back Barden. He knows the offense and could help out the team. Know people are soured by this guy be no more than JJ.

GameTime
05-04-2013, 09:04 AM
I have some stats.

* please note that DD started the Tampa game but was injured early in the 1st quarter when the game was tied 3-3. Locklear came in and the biggest offensive explosion of the entire season ensued. Yet, because DD started this 602 yard and 41 point game the stats are all credited to DD. Without that game the stats are markedly lopsided in Locklear's favor, even moreso than they already are.

Now you can quote PFF all you want about individual performance. The fact is this team played MUCH better with Sean as the starter. The offense played MUCH better in particular. We had out best rushing performances with him in the game as well.

Typically, you wont hear me criticize TC. But, there were a lot of mistakes made by players last year and they have been discussed to death on these boards. The coaches made some mistakes too, and I believe the biggest 1 of the year was not following the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Our offense was on fire up until the Steelers game where the season took a decided turn for the worse. What changed for the Steelers game you ask? DD returned as the starter. It's not the only reason for the nose dive, but it is a reason and 1 that could have and should have been avoided.

There were some other notable changes in the offense with DD as the starter that mentioned during the season, but I wont go into it on this thread. Suffice to say the Giants were clearly worried about him and gave him a lot more help than they ever did Sean Locklear
who else started the same games that Diehl and Locklear started....maybe they are the reason.....:p
lest see...prob Snee, Baas, Boothe, Eli, Bradshaw, Tuck, JPP, Joseph, Rolle, Black unicorn....get the point....

GiantsRevival2
05-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I have some stats.

Spot on!!!!! I don't care about PFF stats. If you watched the games Sean was the much better player. I love Diehl but at this point of his career he's a backup at best. There's a reason he took that huge pay cut. It's because his play warranted it! If Sean doesn't get hurt I doubt that Diehl is on this team.

hugehomer
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Wrong

Carnage781
05-04-2013, 01:11 PM
I would bring in Bruce Johnson and Witherspoon to compete for the 6th CB spot behing Prince, Webster, Thomas, Ross, Hosley

DownWitJPP
05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I would bring in Bruce Johnson and Witherspoon to compete for the 6th CB spot behing Prince, Webster, Thomas, Ross, Hosley Johnson was decent before all the injuries, and Witherspoon was average at best before his ACL tear. Lets see what the young guys we signed have before we bring back injured CB's

GiantsRevival2
05-05-2013, 08:25 AM

WR Rames Barden

TE Travis Beckum

DT Rocky Bernard

CB Bruce Johnson

OL Sean Locklear

RB Kregg Lumpkin

CB Justin Tryon

K Lawrence Tynes

CB Brian Witherspoon
I highly doubt we resign any of those guys. Giants will most likely wait for June 1st cuts to fill any holes they feel they have.

Antwuan
05-06-2013, 02:54 AM
Im not betting on any of them coming back. I wouldn't mind seeing Lawrence Tynes back but it looks like we are going to roll with Josh Brown in 2013.

BlueSanta
05-06-2013, 03:10 AM
who else started the same games that Diehl and Locklear started....maybe they are the reason.....:p
lest see...prob Snee, Baas, Boothe, Eli, Bradshaw, Tuck, JPP, Joseph, Rolle, Black unicorn....get the point....

Read entire posts please. I addressed this point when I said that this wasn't THE reason but A reason, 1 that could have been avoided.

GameTime
05-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Read entire posts please. I addressed this point when I said that this wasn't THE reason but A reason, 1 that could have been avoided.
I did read the entire post...DD was "A" reason yep....for sure he had a bad season....
still doesn't make up for the fact they the whole team was painfully inconsistent......no matter who was starting or not....