PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants' Defensive Line Poised To Return To Form In 2013

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/03/new-york-giants-defensive-line-poised-to-return-to-form-in-2013/

Excerpt: "After storming through the NFC and winning their second Lombardi Trophy in five seasons, the New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) failed to make the playoffs in 2012 with a team that arguably possessed more talent than the one that took home Super Bowl XLVII. Although there are a number of factors that contributed to the Giants' failures a year ago, the lack of production along the defensive line inhibited defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's defense from operating efficiently.

In 2011, the rejuvenation of the Giants defensive line enabled the defense to compete with the top offenses from around the NFL. Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers (http://www.giants101.com/tag/aaron-rodgers/) and Tom Brady all succumbed to the pressure produced by Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/) during the final six games of the season. The Giants were able to sack the quarterback on 7.51 percent of all passing plays, which ranked Big Blue fifth in the NFL.

Last season, without a healthy or effective Chris Canty to play in the middle of the defense, the Giants sack percentage dropped to 5.82 percent. Over the final three games of 2012, the team was able to get to the quarterback at a dismal rate of 1.94 percent, which was good for the second worst ratio in the league. For the Giants to establish themselves as Super Bowl contenders next season, the defensive line must rebound from its pathetic performance in 2012. With the loss of Osi Umenyiora and an aging Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/), it's a task that may seem unrealistic, but general manager Jerry Reese (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jerry-reese/)has prepared the team for this moment throughout the offseason.

With the additions of Cullen Jenkins (http://www.giants101.com/tag/cullen-jenkins/), Mike Patterson and Jonathan Hankins at defensive tackle, the middle of the Giants defense has gone from a point of great weakness, to potentially the deepest position on the roster. In 2012, the Giants finished 23rd in the NFL in sacks per game, with 2.1, but 18th in sack percentage. It's a small discrepancy, but it says a lot about how opposing offenses attacked Big Blue last season.

Without an athletic middle linebacker or a healthy defensive tackle unit, running the football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/) was how team's beat the Giants. Opponents ran the ball an average of 29.1 times per game against the Giants, and averaged 129.1 yards per contest. By running the football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/) down the throat of the defense, the Giants were unable to let their pass rushers take off up-field and get the quarterback. Additional injuries in the secondary to Kenny Phillips, Corey Webster and Prince Amukamara made blitzing a risky proposition, as it was nearly impossible for he team to play effectively in man coverage without a safety over-the-top." Read more...

TAILGATIN'
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Let's hope so. Little early to tell what kind of level this line will be playing at, but Im certainly hopeful.

ryan12
05-03-2013, 12:56 PM
all starts up front im pretty stoked for the dline think will help our lb and db big time

Kruunch
05-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Not sure what else they could have done to make that DL better this year between FA signings and high draft picks.

It had BETTER be better.

Or I'll whine more.

GameTime
05-03-2013, 01:40 PM
same article last year too.....
the names were changed to protect the innocent...lol

I hope they get their collective asses in gear. Would be nice to have that element of the D back in full force......

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Not sure what else they could have done to make that DL better this year between FA signings and high draft picks.

It had BETTER be better.

Or I'll whine more.

I'll bring the cheese

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 01:46 PM

I hope they get their collective asses in gear. Would be nice to have that element of the D back in full force......

They've made moves to make them a better unit, but we won't know until we play the games I'm afraid.

Cloud57
05-03-2013, 01:47 PM

I hope they get their collective asses in gear. Would be nice to have that element of the D back in full force......lol, they say this every year about our D line, look at the other teams in the league there D line is a lot better.

GameTime
05-03-2013, 01:53 PM
lol, they say this every year about our D line, look at the other teams in the league there D line is a lot better.
at least we have hope and few new names......

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
We can't say they didn't address "the trenches."

BigBlue1971
05-03-2013, 02:28 PM
i think the team has done a good job pluggin holes on the d-line!

with the depth at d-tackle noone should run on us! but we'll see.

Moore will be a welcome addition to Kiwi, Tuck and JPP and could help the Giants lead the league in defense!

NYKiller
05-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't care how good the D-line is. Teams are going to run right pass them and through the Giants weak linebackers unless they are better then we think. I only have confidence in Rivers if he can stay healthy. The giants like to build their defense to pressure the QB more than focusing on stopping the run. I prefer to focus on both the D-line and linebackers instead of just stockpiling in one area. I prefer a 3-4 defense more than than the 4-3 because speed kills more than size. In the end, thank God Eli has gotten better because fans would really see the truth about the Giants.

jomo
05-03-2013, 03:49 PM
I think the premise of the article is a bit of a stretch. Depth does not equate to dominance. We certainly cleared out some clunkers and replace them with some interesting guys but I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. I hope the article is right on, we'll see.

joemorrisforprez
05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
On paper, we improved at DT.

Losing Osi was a pretty big hit given that our emphasis is on pressuring the QB.

Hopefully DaMontre Moore is as solid as he looks. I really liked that pick.

Hankins looks stout against the run, so he should occupy space and blockers.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 04:42 PM
On paper, we improved at DT.

Losing Osi was a pretty big hit given that our emphasis is on pressuring the QB.

Hopefully DaMontre Moore is as solid as he looks. I really liked that pick.

Hankins looks stout against the run, so he should occupy space and blockers.

I'm not sure losing Osi was a "hit" given his level of play in 2012. Losing him did make us face the issue with FA and draft signings. I think having Kiwanuka at DE is an upgrade over Osi.

Buddy333
05-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Hankins looks like he can be a real help as long as he keeps his weight under control. They will not be playing him 60-70 plays a game.

egyptian420
05-03-2013, 04:47 PM
I just hope this new DT rotation helps the DEs get pressure. 6.5 sacks was not a good look for JPP last year.

thegreatone
05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Wonder how much webbys awful play factors in to that drop off. Kinda hard to get to the qb when he was always getting torched. I'm in no way layin all the blame on him nor am I giving him the bulk of it. Just sayin I wonder how bad our dline would've looked with 2007 webby back there. Oh yeah rolle sucked too

jomo
05-03-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure losing Osi was a "hit" given his level of play in 2012. Losing him did make us face the issue with FA and draft signings. I think having Kiwanuka at DE is an upgrade over Osi.It is not a "hit" at all. We have to consider the cash we saved with his salary and how it was redeployed to other players who can help us more. His drop off over the past few years (especially against the run) has been significant.

B&RWarrior
05-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I think the premise of the article is a bit of a stretch. Depth does not equate to dominance. We certainly cleared out some clunkers and replace them with some interesting guys but I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. I hope the article is right on, we'll see.

The article was off in a few respects. I don't see a health Canty as the difference between our SB run run-defense and last year's abysmal effort. I don't think Hankins is depth. I see him evolving into a guy you want on the field for 3 downs.

B&RWarrior
05-03-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure losing Osi was a "hit" given his level of play in 2012. Losing him did make us face the issue with FA and draft signings. I think having Kiwanuka at DE is an upgrade over Osi.

Agreed, but if you choose what side to run at they will run to Kiwi's side rather than JPP's. The first place they will run is up the middle after watching last year's game tape.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Agreed, but if you choose what side to run at they will run to Kiwi's side rather than JPP's. The first place they will run is up the middle after watching last year's game tape.

And we have thsoe two former Eagles' wide bodies to FILL those holes, hopefully.

Sundown
05-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Article says Cweb had an injury? What injury?

B&RWarrior
05-03-2013, 06:59 PM

deep laceration to his pride

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Hamstring and a broken hand

fletch842
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
If CWeb comes back to form, and Prince/Hausley continue to develop (I though Prince was playing quite well by the end of the season) our "weakness" at CB may end up a strength.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
If CWeb comes back to form, and Prince/Hausley continue to develop (I though Prince was playing quite well by the end of the season) our "weakness" at CB may end up a strength.

Your fingertips to God's ears lol

DT2012
05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I our D-Line being better this year just from having Jenkins in there over Bernard. Add Hankins in there to stop the run and take on double teams and things SHOULD go much better overall for the Giants Defense. I see Hankins becoming a MAJOR force against the run and as a space eater. He's shown when fresh at Ohio State pure dominance on the line. Lets hope it carries over into the NFL.

B&RWarrior
05-03-2013, 07:51 PM

The hammy would explain a lot. I wonder when he got the hammy. I'm telling you RF C-Web will be back to form next year.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 08:14 PM
The hammy would explain a lot. I wonder when he got the hammy. I'm telling you RF C-Web will be back to form next year.

I sure hope so, when he's healthy we need him on the field.

Cool Papa B.
05-03-2013, 08:45 PM
They have assembled a lot of talent on defense. It should be interesting to see how Fewell uses these parts and bring hem all together. I would also like to see how Fewell uses the hybrid LB/SS pos.

bearbryant
05-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Granted Hankins should be an upgrade @ DT to help LJ clog up the middle. Where then?