PDA

View Full Version : just wondering about this draft as it pertains to LBers

JesseJames
05-03-2013, 06:26 PM
just prior to this draft I remember reading an article that quoted Mara telling the media that he wanted the team to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball. So we go into the draft and take an O tackle in rd1 and a D tackle in rd2 and draft no LBers at all. I was just wondering how this draft would have gone if Mara had said he wanted to improve the LBer position?

jomo
05-03-2013, 06:28 PM
just prior to this draft I remember reading an article that quoted Mara telling the media that he wanted the team to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball. So we go into the draft and take an O tackle in rd1 and a D tackle in rd2 and draft no LBers at all. I was just wondering how this draft would have gone if Mara had said he wanted to improve the LBer position?I was wondering about JR deceptively (which I like) telling his competitors that he focuses on the BPA. Yes we do draft for need.

JesseJames
05-03-2013, 06:30 PM
I was wondering about JR deceptively (which I like) telling his competitors that he focuses on the BPA. Yes we do draft for need. Reese just proved it in this draft so that puts that idea to bed..

jomo
05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Reese just proved it in this draft so that puts that idea to bed..He's not fooling us any longer. Actually I think the philosophy has evolved over the years. I heard a stat on NFL Radio the other day and it went something like this. Over the past 10 years, the total games played by rookies has more than doubled which means that teams are looking more and more for immediate help. The higher veteran minimums also mean that rookies and UDFA's are more attractive salary cap wise. So it should be no surprise that we would be drafting more and more for need and less BPA.

JesseJames
05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Jomo.... we are both on the same side with this thinking...

B&RWarrior
05-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I was wondering about JR deceptively (which I like) telling his competitors that he focuses on the BPA. Yes we do draft for need.

I think it's a forgone conclusion that the BPA philosophy fall within the parameters of players that fit our system. I think they are genuinely high on Pugh. I don't think the put a premium on LB play in our system. Rd 2 was the most obvious choice. Arthur Brown was available and they chose Hankins instead. We need both, and we have added players to both DT and LB in free agency. I say your right. I smell need loud and strong no matter how much JR is yelling value.

Carter.525
05-03-2013, 07:04 PM
maybe Cooper Taylor and Damontre Moore will play some LB..

myles2424
05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Arthur Brown wouldve been a giant if they realized connor & rivers just aren't that Good ontop of always being hurt...

drewz
05-03-2013, 07:20 PM
just prior to this draft I remember reading an article that quoted Mara telling the media that he wanted the team to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball. So we go into the draft and take an O tackle in rd1 and a D tackle in rd2 and draft no LBers at all. I was just wondering how this draft would have gone if Mara had said he wanted to improve the LBer position?

Mara doesn't tell Reese to do anything. What probably happened was Mara sat down Reese at the end of the season, asked him what went wrong and how is he going improve the team. Reese probably told him we needed to get younger and reload in the trenches, and that's the answer Mara gave to the media.

B&RWarrior
05-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Arthur Brown wouldve been a giant if they realized connor & rivers just aren't that Good ontop of always being hurt...

So you think it was a need pick. I think they valued a DT over a LB. We already signed Rogers and Jenkins at DT and we still got Hankins.

B&RWarrior
05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Mara doesn't tell Reese to do anything. What probably happened was Mara sat down Reese at the end of the season, asked him what went wrong and how is he going improve the team. Reese probably told him we needed to get younger and reload in the trenches, and that's the answer Mara gave to the media.

Yeah, Mara seems like a rational owner that let's the coaches coach and the personnel experts do their job. I don't see him as a Jerry Jones type of owner.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 07:23 PM
So you think it was a need pick. I think they valued a DT over a LB. We already signed Rogers and Jenkins at DT and we still got Hankins.

Here's something else to consider. In the discussion regarding Cooper Taylor, TC suggested he might be an "outside backer." Could Reese have had LB in mind when he drafted him?

jomo
05-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Jomo.... we are both on the same side with this thinking...+1

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Yeah, Mara seems like a rational owner that let's the coaches coach and the personnel experts do their job. I don't see him as a Jerry Jones type of owner.

+1

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 07:25 PM
+1

I'm trying to figure out if he is bragging or complaining :popcorn:

jomo
05-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm trying to figure out if he is bragging or complaining :popcorn:Can't leave a brother hanging! lol

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Can't leave a brother hanging! lol

:cool:

FishinTheSalt
05-03-2013, 07:54 PM
imo everything reese says is a smokescreen when he talks about the draft. Hes shown bpa and need and thats a good thing. So far i have yet to see anyone mock even close to what we end up with. After everyone calms down we always seem pretty content with his choices.

RoanokeFan
05-03-2013, 07:57 PM
imo everything reese says is a smokescreen when he talks about the draft. Hes shown bpa and need and thats a good thing. So far i have yet to see anyone mock even close to what we end up with. After everyone calms down we always seem pretty content with his choices.

That sounds about right

myles2424
05-03-2013, 09:14 PM
I like the pick, but I do think it was a stretch...any kind of LB is arguably our biggest need & was forsure BPA with someone like brown on the board...

JesseJames
05-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm trying to figure out if he is bragging or complaining :popcorn:who?

DT2012
05-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I think Jerry Reese, Coughlin and the other coaches look at it the way most people who understand how to stop the run. To stop the run you need a good D-Line DT specifically and u need BIG space eating DT's. I don't care what LBer you put out there for us last year. It could have been Patrick Willis we still would have had a horrid run Defense!!!!! If the DT's can't keep the O-Lineman off the LBers then no matter how good the LBer is the running back is gaining a good 5 to 6 yards befor he is stopped. Run defense starts with a good D-Lines and every game is won in the trenches!!! Linemen on both sides of the ball are the ones who win games.

Buddy333
05-04-2013, 03:05 PM
When the pick players it's a little of both. The 4th round pick was not out of need, it was his highest rated player. They have not picked a LB in the 1st round in almost 30 years so it should not really come as a surprise to anyone they didn't go that route.

RoanokeFan
05-04-2013, 04:26 PM
who?

You and it was meant as a joke

joemorrisforprez
05-04-2013, 05:38 PM
When the pick players it's a little of both. The 4th round pick was not out of need, it was his highest rated player. They have not picked a LB in the 1st round in almost 30 years so it should not really come as a surprise to anyone they didn't go that route.

Thank God....the last thing this defense needs is another Carl Banks (1984) or Lawrence Taylor (1981).

ShakeandBake
05-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Thank God....the last thing this defense needs is another Carl Banks (1984) or Lawrence Taylor (1981).

And when was the last time we had a top 3 draft pick?

Drez
05-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Reese just proved it in this draft so that puts that idea to bed..For those that paid attention, they already knew it was a myth. In JR's tenure as GM pretty much only JPP and Prince could be qualified as BPA picks.

JesseJames
05-04-2013, 05:48 PM
I read an article over on BBI the other day that said the Giants are well aware that their fans want LBers really bad, of course that doesn't enter into their decision making but I do wish one of the sports reporters would have asked them why they don't value the position because I would really like hearing their answer....

Drez
05-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I like the pick, but I do think it was a stretch...any kind of LB is arguably our biggest need & was forsure BPA with someone like brown on the board...Yet, we always forget that better DT play will make the LBs play better.

Drez
05-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Thank God....the last thing this defense needs is another Carl Banks (1984) or Lawrence Taylor (1981).34 OLBs generally translate to 43 DEs.........

joemorrisforprez
05-04-2013, 06:02 PM
34 OLBs generally translate to 43 DEs.........

Neither Banks nor Taylor would have been DE's in a 4-3. They could cover too.

They both played around 235 pounds.

TextureDj
05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Neither Banks nor Taylor would have been DE's in a 4-3. They could cover too.

They both played around 235 pounds.the positions arent plug and play to be sure. if an OLB is converting to a 4-3 DE part of the conversion is bulking up a bit. I wont speak to hypotheticals about players I was still in short shorts when I watched but I'm not so sure about Taylor. He seems to have been just the kind of unblockable player that excels from a 3 point stance.

JesseJames
05-05-2013, 11:43 AM
For those that paid attention, they already knew it was a myth. In JR's tenure as GM pretty much only JPP and Prince could be qualified as BPA picks. Reese was quoted just before this last draft that his policy was to pick the highest rated player at the time of the pick so apparently he doesn't know its a myth...

joemorrisforprez
05-05-2013, 11:50 AM
the positions arent plug and play to be sure. if an OLB is converting to a 4-3 DE part of the conversion is bulking up a bit. I wont speak to hypotheticals about players I was still in short shorts when I watched but I'm not so sure about Taylor. He seems to have been just the kind of unblockable player that excels from a 3 point stance.

Taylor was way too athletic to be on the defensive line. His was a purebreed linebacker. Any other position - even in today's stupid Arena League format - would have been a waste of his talent.

The same goes for Banks, but for slightly different reasons....he was physically gifted, but also one of the smartest Giants defenders I've ever seen. I've never seen a OLB shut down his side of the field better than Banks. Teams eventually actually started to flow running plays toward Taylor, because Taylor was such a relentless pursuit linebacker, and Banks sealed his edge so effectively. The figured they had a better chance getting yards by blocking LT head on....of course, that didn't work too well, either...LOL.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Thank you.

B&RWarrior
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
the positions arent plug and play to be sure. if an OLB is converting to a 4-3 DE part of the conversion is bulking up a bit. I wont speak to hypotheticals about players I was still in short shorts when I watched but I'm not so sure about Taylor. He seems to have been just the kind of unblockable player that excels from a 3 point stance.

I'll take your argument a but further and say that only the rare player can excel at both. It's a different skill set.

TAILGATIN'
05-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Reese was quoted just before this last draft that his policy was to pick the highest rated player at the time of the pick so apparently he doesn't know its a myth...
The main point is that he picks the highest rated player according to him, not what we or espn or whoever thinks is BPA.

DT2012
05-06-2013, 01:19 PM
The same goes for every team...They all make a board and list the players they feel are the best and every team probably has certain players ranked higher or lower on their charts depending on what they are looking for. The Giants have always been a team that likes to develop Raw talent. Guys like JPP, Tuck the Giants develop certain players. They look for certain things in guys and what they look for maybe different than what other teams are looking for or what someone on ESPN or some analyst thinks.

Giant303
05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
did someone really compare the LB's in this draft to LT and Carl Banks hahaha. I hurt my sides laughing at that one. Hankins was definitely the right pick over Brown. Look at the teams that gave the skins problems they were really strong at the DL position. The best way to destroy that play action stuff is putting pressure in RG3's face same with vick and Romo all of those guys need time for their play to develop RG3 for the read option, Romo starts looking at the rush and vick just takes awhile to recognize the weakness of the defense. I do believe the took the BPA in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. One could argue against Pugh but the drop off after him was considerable. I don't know if there were any true ILB's in this draft outside of Te'o and Brown. Fix the dline issues and LB will be less of an issue. Stopping the run is the easiest way to get a pass rush going not drafting linebackers.

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Wouldn't matter anyway....I don't think Reese would have drafted Taylor or Banks.

I'd see Reese getting Kenny Easley 1981.

In 1984, Reese would have gone with Kenny Jackson, or maybe Mossy Cade.

BlueSanta
05-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Wouldn't matter anyway....I don't think Reese would have drafted Taylor or Banks.

Another post that ignores the difference between a 34 and a 43.

Applying what Reese has done while we run a 43 defense to what he would have done if we ran a 34 is completely silly.

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Another post that ignores the difference between a 34 and a 43.

Applying what Reese has done while we run a 43 defense to what he would have done if we ran a 34 is completely silly.

That's right, I forgot......linebackers in the 4-3 aren't important. Sorry about that.

Strange about the whole Urlacher and Briggs thing in Chicago.....and them taking 2 linebackers this draft.

ShakeandBake
05-06-2013, 05:08 PM

You are really going to speculate on who JR would have picked back then? You have officially gone off the deep end.

DT2012
05-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Chicago runs a different Defense than the Giants do. Same base D but Chicago use's a pretty consistant Cover 2. The Giants don't!!! The Bears also have a good D-Line who can defend the run. Last Year the Giants couldn't stop the run if their lives depended on it.

Giant303
05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Urlacher is in Chicago? last i checked he was still a FA. What about Sabino? how do you guys feel about him?

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
You are really going to speculate on who JR would have picked back then? You have officially gone off the deep end.

That's the beauty of a message board. At the end of the day, nobody drowns.

JesseJames
05-06-2013, 05:59 PM
this is the off season and if it weren't for opinions there wouldn't be much reason to come on here so just keep the opinions coming who cares who likes them or not...

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Chicago runs a different Defense than the Giants do. Same base D but Chicago use's a pretty consistant Cover 2. The Giants don't!!! The Bears also have a good D-Line who can defend the run. Last Year the Giants couldn't stop the run if their lives depended on it.

There are some differences, but similarities as well. Fewell was introduced to the Tampa-2 when he was working for Lovie Smith in St. Louis.

If Fewell had better linebackers to work with, I'd imagine he play more Tampa-2....it's the system he used in Buffalo.

The Giants couldn't stop the run up the middle, but they couldn't seal the edge either, and were consistently burned on the outside because their LBs were either too slow (Chase), injured (Boley, JWill, Rivers) or unable to shed a block or shoot a gap (pretty much all of them).

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 06:05 PM
this is the off season and if it weren't for opinions there wouldn't be much reason to come on here so just keep the opinions coming who cares who likes them or not...

I agree, Jesse.

If some Giants fans don't like to hear complaining, I'd suggest that they don't jump into a thread about our linebackers.

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Urlacher is in Chicago? last i checked he was still a FA. What about Sabino? how do you guys feel about him?

I was referring to Urlacher's career in Chicago.

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Damontre Moore or Cooper Taylor playing as a LB this year...More so with Damontre Moore after seeing what they did with Kiwi the past few years. Especially now that they are saying that Kiwi is moving back to DE.

JesseJames
05-06-2013, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Damontre Moore or Cooper Taylor playing as a LB this year...More so with Damontre Moore after seeing what they did with Kiwi the past few years. Especially now that they are saying that Kiwi is moving back to DE. I respect your opinion but I would hate to see the Giants take Moore and try to make him a LBer, look what they did to Kiwi with that experiment, it wasn't exactly a failure but it did take years from a good pass rusher who turned into a mediocre LBer, hopefully that idea is finished and Kiwi goes back to where he belonged in the first place, Moore looks to me like a pure passrusher and I hope they leave him there

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I respect your opinion but I would hate to see the Giants take Moore and try to make him a LBer, look what they did to Kiwi with that experiment, it wasn't exactly a failure but it did take years from a good pass rusher who turned into a mediocre LBer, hopefully that idea is finished and Kiwi goes back to where he belonged in the first place, Moore looks to me like a pure passrusher and I hope they leave him there

Moore has college experience as a pass-rushing OLB, so he understands the technique.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Damontre Moore or Cooper Taylor playing as a LB this year...More so with Damontre Moore after seeing what they did with Kiwi the past few years. Especially now that they are saying that Kiwi is moving back to DE.

Cooper Taylor has a big frame, so I think he could physically make the transition. If not, it still gives Fewell a linebacker-sized safety to play inside the box in his 4-2-5 packages, so it could be nearly the same thing.

Buddy333
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
That's right, I forgot......linebackers in the 4-3 aren't important. Sorry about that.Strange about the whole Urlacher and Briggs thing in Chicago.....and them taking 2 linebackers this draft.What is even stranger is how the Giants won two Super Bowls in the last 6 seasons without doing so.

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 07:19 PM
I respect your opinion but I would hate to see the Giants take Moore and try to make him a LBer, look what they did to Kiwi with that experiment, it wasn't exactly a failure but it did take years from a good pass rusher who turned into a mediocre LBer, hopefully that idea is finished and Kiwi goes back to where he belonged in the first place, Moore looks to me like a pure passrusher and I hope they leave him there Dont get me wrong here...I was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they did this, but that doesnt mean I liked it at all. I didnt like how Kiwi turned out as a LBer at all. Maybe Moore or Taylor could fit the bill better then Kiwi did and if it doesnt look good in camp then I say scrap that idea all together and never try it again.

TheEnigma
05-06-2013, 07:23 PM
What is even stranger is how the Giants won two Super Bowls in the last 6 seasons without doing so.

Didn't you hear though that there is an excess of linebackers in the NFL today that can play all 3 downs in a 4-3? GMs are just lining up to take these kids in the early rounds.

B&RWarrior
05-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Damonte Moore will not be a LB for this team.

ShakeandBake
05-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Damonte Moore will not be a LB for this team.

Hes going to be a joker like Kiwi

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Damonte Moore will not be a LB for this team. I thought the same thing with Kiwi and what happened?

B&RWarrior
05-06-2013, 11:42 PM
I thought the same thing with Kiwi and what happened?

I'm hoping they took note of how awful Kiwi was in pass coverage. I think it's a lot to ask a guy that has been playing with his hand in the dirt his entire career to learn how to cover players in space. There are some that can do both well, but they are rare.

Giant303
05-07-2013, 11:35 AM
There were some ok backers in this draft. Hopefully moore is on the field in passing situations and they finally start blitzing. Like someone mentioned Moore played OLB at A&M in 2011 so he knows how to read and rush from that position a lot of his pressure came from blitzes up the middle after checking his man. unlike most people here i'm pretty excited to see what TC and PF(even though i don't like him) do with the LB core.

MattMeyerBud
05-07-2013, 01:18 PM

trenches means line play...

he actually did exactly what he said he would

giantsfam04
05-07-2013, 01:23 PM
He's not fooling us any longer. Actually I think the philosophy has evolved over the years. I heard a stat on NFL Radio the other day and it went something like this. Over the past 10 years, the total games played by rookies has more than doubled which means that teams are looking more and more for immediate help. The higher veteran minimums also mean that rookies and UDFA's are more attractive salary cap wise. So it should be no surprise that we would be drafting more and more for need and less BPA.

I think college players being more pro ready then in the past has led to an increase in playing time. I do not think need has anything to do with it, I think JR does indeed draft BPA instead of need. How many times do people complain that our rookies don't see the field as much as others do, David Wilson is the perfect example of this.

joemorrisforprez
05-07-2013, 02:51 PM
What is even stranger is how the Giants won two Super Bowls in the last 6 seasons without doing so.

They won 2 Super Bowls with Antonio Pierce, Kawika Mitchell, Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley....all former Giants.

The Giants aren't the defending champs. They are coming off a non-playoff year, with the 31st ranked defense, and have replaced their 2 best starting linebackers with Dan Connor.

That's the situation at this point.....things can change.

Giant303
05-07-2013, 03:06 PM
That Dan Connor is somekind of special to be replacing 2 linebackers.

Buddy333
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
They won 2 Super Bowls with Antonio Pierce, Kawika Mitchell, Chase Blackburn, Michael Boley....all former Giants.The Giants aren't the defending champs. They are coming off a non-playoff year, with the 31st ranked defense, and have replaced their 2 best starting linebackers with Dan Connor.That's the situation at this point.....things can change.Not one of those LB's you mentioned was ever considered a great impact LB. the year before their defense didn't rank much better. Most importantly is that they did rank 12th in points allowed. The difference between the 10th ranked defense and the 31st last year was 50 yards a game. This team has issues that go beyond LB's. they just collapse every year for some reason. Their defense also shut down some o the best offenses last year.

slipknottin
05-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Not one of those LB's you mentioned was ever considered a great impact LB\

pierce was pretty damn good for a couple seasons there.

slipknottin
05-07-2013, 06:08 PM
and it still bugs me that people think Mara is watching film and telling Reese that they need to improve the trench play.

Reese makes those decisions, not Mara. If Reese wants to improve trench play then thats what he will tell Mara he wants to do.

Theres a reason the giants have a GM. Otherwise just appoint Mara the GM ala Jerry Jones.

gmen0820
05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
and it still bugs me that people think Mara is watching film and telling Reese that they need to improve the trench play.

Reese makes those decisions, not Mara. If Reese wants to improve trench play then thats what he will tell Mara he wants to do.

Theres a reason the giants have a GM. Otherwise just appoint Mara the GM ala Jerry Jones.Even so, it's hard to picture Jones watching film of Joe Schmo from Arkansas.

slipknottin
05-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Even so, it's hard to picture Jones watching film of Joe Schmo from Arkansas.

Its hard to imagine him listening to his scouts too. lol.

He probably just watches jmpasq's videos on youtube.

Imgrate
05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Even so, it's hard to picture Jones watching film of Joe Schmo from Arkansas.

You mean Felix Jones, right?

gmen0820
05-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Its hard to imagine him listening to his scouts too. lol.He probably just watches jmpasq's videos on youtube.You think so? I was thinking highlight tapes with ****ty rap music. Scout players, and performers -- two birds with one stone. It's that type of efficiency that made him a billionaire.

Buddy333
05-07-2013, 11:52 PM
pierce was pretty damn good for a couple seasons there.He was. Would you call him the most athletic though? He was very smart and a great team leader.

Broadway Blue
05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
I wonder would Reese would had took a chance on Khaseem Greene if Nassib wasn't there?

joemorrisforprez
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Not one of those LB's you mentioned was ever considered a great impact LB. the year before their defense didn't rank much better. Most importantly is that they did rank 12th in points allowed. The difference between the 10th ranked defense and the 31st last year was 50 yards a game. This team has issues that go beyond LB's. they just collapse every year for some reason. Their defense also shut down some o the best offenses last year.

I'd call Pierce a good linebacker. Boley had a very good year in 2011. Chase was smart, and hustled....he didn't have great speed, but he took good angles and understood the system.

pierce was pretty damn good for a couple seasons there.

Agreed....Pro Bowler in 2006, and a very smart leader of the defense. The guy knew how to rally his teammates. Great locker room dude from everything I've read. Plus, he could shake a block, which is a lot more than you can say about anyone who played LB in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUnnW3DkaCk

I wonder would Reese would had took a chance on Khaseem Greene if Nassib wasn't there?

I doubt it....dude didn't even select a linebacker, period. That's probably what chaps my *** even more.....it's one thing to go backup QB in the 4th....but he basically ignored linebacker the entire draft. Now he's dumpster diving again.....Aaron Curry??? Yeah, ok, there's our solution.

Buddy333
05-08-2013, 05:32 PM
He was good, not great. He was never considered the most athletic LB.

joemorrisforprez
05-08-2013, 06:02 PM
He was good, not great. He was never considered the most athletic LB.

Personally, I think he was better than just good, but I understand that gets a little subjective.

AP called the defense, averaged over 7 tackles per game as a Giant, was a veteran leader in the locker room, and was a major reason the Giants won the Super Bowl.

Keep in mind he was also a guy who always had Eli's back, and supported Coughlin when the rest of the world was looking to fire him as head coach.

As a player, teammate, and leader, he was a kick *** Giant.

B&RWarrior
05-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Personally, I think he was better than just good, but I understand that gets a little subjective.

AP called the defense, averaged over 7 tackles per game as a Giant, was a veteran leader in the locker room, and was a major reason the Giants won the Super Bowl.

Keep in mind he was also a guy who always had Eli's back, and supported Coughlin when the rest of the world was looking to fire him as head coach.

As a player, teammate, and leader, he was a kick *** Giant.

I liked AP. Great leader and locker room guy, but as a Giant fan I've watched LT, Banks, Carson, Armstead, and Barrow before him. He was good, but definitely not great. He was a little less than Barrow and way under everybody else listed, but way better than Chase.