PDA

View Full Version : Few things re-watching Giants vs. Cowboys to pay attention to Sunday night

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 02:43 AM
One-A lot of the Cowboys big plays came on 3rd and long. Either bc of confusion/blown assignment or bc the pressure from the DL didnt get there

Two-Officiating was flat awful. Another game that it seemed like the refs were trying to give to the opposing team. Couple bogus pass interference and couple penalties called on Dallas that were picked up even tho there was clearly a penalty on them.

Three-we had a good scheme for containing Ware. We either motioned a TE to whichever side he was, and left a RB to his side to chip on him as well. A lot of attention was paid to him.

Four-The run game got going bc of Ware. He starts upfield a lot of times like Osi, not as dramatic but it is similar. The RB rushed inside of him and then broke it outside. That should be there again.

Five-Ryan brought a ton of blitzes which resulted in Newman being in one on one isolated. We burned them a few times but the WR really need to take advantage of that.

Six-Even though Eli killed it, he had to do a lot of it on his own by just playing unreal. He RARELY had a clean pocket to step up into. He was either forced back and into back footed throws by the interior pressure or pressure from blitzes and Ware outside. The OL needs to play better although they didn't give up a sack, too much was placed on Eli to make a play with hardly any room to step up. This was truly a remarkable effort by Eli. When he did get some room to step up he was even more accurate. He really is a special QB. Some of his throws were put on a dime even though he had no business even getting a throw off. Thing of beauty.

Seven-We CANNOT get inside there 10 yard line and not score a TD. One time we were held to a FG bc KG took WAY too long to get the play in. The play needs to be called early so Eli has time to read the Defense.

Lastly, I don't see how Dallas can really mix up what they did on defense. They played a lot of zones, a lot of man, brought a lot of different blitzes. It was just a dominate performance by Eli. Hopefully we won't have to depend on him having another performance like that bc its just unfair to any player.
On defense, if we can not give up big plays on 3rd downs, Dallas won't score a lot of points. Again, a lot of there big plays and scores came on 3rd and longs when the D should have gotten off the field. Coverage needs to be tight and the DL must maintain gap integrity bc a few times Romo was able to buy more time bc the DL didn't maintain there gaps and Romo moved around in the pocket and bought more time.

I expect JPP and Osi to have big games bc Free struggled a lot vs JPP. OR Tuck has a big game bc Dallas didn't chip JPP with Witten or there RB much at all. I suspect they'll do that this week which means Tuck will have 1 v 1 and he NEEDS to take advantage of Smith who is a rookie. Talented, but still a rookie. Also, they lost their starting guard, so Canty should be fired up and make an impact.
Also, Felix Jones is a diff. runner than Murray, Murray is kind of an off tackle straight ahead type runner, he liked to follow his FB and get to the second level. Jones is a cut back runner and Dallas designs run for him to cut back. the DL and LB's and safeties when they're playing the LOS have to maintain there responsibilities.

I think we win this game, I truly do. I'm not making that statement based on my homerism. I just think we can take advantage of them on offense and defense. The d didnt have Phillips and a lot of Dallas big plays were where Phillips plays. I see him making an impact.

edit- couple more things;

the snaps were very bad out of shotgun and eli still managed to hit on some big plays. against dallas, the snaps out of shotgun need to be good. baas seems good at that

ware loves to try and jump the snap, so eli should use his cadence throughout the game and mix it up to try and get some free plays.

collingsworth was saying some things about eli's play;
"I know his brother Peyton is one of the best of all time, but no QB could do what Eli has done in the clutch this year...Eli's done the impossible again. He's a one man team. I haven't seen a player put his team on his back and play this well with the season on the line in a long long time"

With the season on the line, Eli has the edge over Romo in terms of being phased. Nothing phases Eli and thus the offense. If the D can give a solid effort, I could see us winning by a couple of scores.
We haven't had one blowout win this year or maybe one vs the Rams but even that wasn't really. We're due for a huge blowout win and I could see it being this Sunday night.

scf424
12-30-2011, 02:47 AM
There is one match up I am terrified about, and that is Aaron Ross vs. Miles Austin.

It might've been that one (missed) big play at the end, but I do not trust him going up against a legit #1 receiver (and Austin was just coming off that hammy issue).

We need to hit Romo early, I don't care if its with the 4 man rush or a blitz, but he cannot get into a rhythm, or their receivers (barring Dez vs Webster) are going to do a lot of damage.

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 02:51 AM
There is one match up I am terrified about, and that is Aaron Ross vs. Miles Austin.

It might've been that one (missed) big play at the end, but I do not trust him going up against a legit #1 receiver (and Austin was just coming off that hammy issue).

We need to hit Romo early, I don't care if its with the 4 man rush or a blitz, but he cannot get into a rhythm, or their receivers (barring Dez vs Webster) are going to do a lot of damage.

i agree. BUT i dont think Austin burns us for a big play TD or anything. I'm more worried about him consistently getting those 10 yd receptions.

It will be tough on D bc who do we bracket? Austin? Dez? Witten?

I forgot to mention that, Witten had practically nothing all game.

Having Phillips back tho is going to be huge. He takes away those deep passes so the LB's and corners need to play off his help. Jump some of those intermediate routes bc we got Phillips back there to bail them out.

jjj45
12-30-2011, 08:45 AM
great post. good points.

I dont think we blow them out though. Not because I dont feel confident, but because the last time we played them, we needed a bit of help from Dallas's mental mistakes to win. Yes there were some bad calls against us, but in the last five minutes, the cowboys defense shot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties.

That missed pass to Austin was the icing on the cake for Dallas's follies in the fourth quarter.

We still earned that win though. Eli is something special. I def think we win Sunday. We got this.

I just hope our D doesnt get abused like last time though. If we can take control on offense, the cowboys wont be able to mount a comeback.

Also our play calling in the redzone is pitiful. How many bombs to Cruz or Nicks inside the twenty are wasted because we cant move the ball 6 yards.

yatitle
12-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Great point that got lost at the end of the game because the Giants won. People focused on the play where either Romo overthrew Austin or he lost it in the lights depending on who you believe. But Austin beat Ross twice (even if they were in zone gave him way too much cushion) in the middle of the field on the last Dallas drive.

SIMMS5611
12-30-2011, 09:31 AM
There is one match up I am terrified about, and that is Aaron Ross vs. Miles Austin. It might've been that one (missed) big play at the end, but I do not trust him going up against a legit #1 receiver (and Austin was just coming off that hammy issue). We need to hit Romo early, I don't care if its with the 4 man rush or a blitz, but he cannot get into a rhythm, or their receivers (barring Dez vs Webster) are going to do a lot of damage.

Great point that got lost at the end of the game because the Giants won. People focused on the play where either Romo overthrew Austin or he lost it in the lights depending on who you believe. But Austin beat Ross twice (even if they were in zone gave him way too much cushion) in the middle of the field on the last Dallas drive.
</P>

</P>

Ross has GOT to jam Austin. I know it's a given, but the Giants just have to "Outphysical" the Cowboys, especially their receivers coming off the line.</P>

That, and smash Romo into a twitching pile of sissy.</P>

burier
12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Since Ross has shown 0 ability to cover Austin I'd be shocked if the Fewell allows that man-to-man matchup this time around. If Ross can't cover a guy you can't ask him to cover a guy.

Also we got pushed around alot in the running game last time. Someone other than JPP is gonna have to show up.

I can see us walking off with a win by a couple scores but we need to start fast and play a little D.

How nice would it be if we came out in the No Huddle?

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 05:38 PM
another one to add, jacobs had his only 100 yd rushing game of the year, he can really set the tone early. i'd let him run the ball the first few series then gradually work bradshaw in and let him get a strong % of the running plays.

TrueBlue07
12-30-2011, 06:15 PM
the Ware scheme was fantastic. Let that big idiot bull rush around the end and just use his momentum to push him 10 yards behind Eli. By the time he regroups we'll already have the first down. He was a non-factor half because of our scheme, and half because he (like our O$i sometimes) was too stubborn to try and adjust.

TuckYou
12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Thing is we need to suffocate Romo in the pocket. He is deadly when he dances outside of the pocket, and with our secondary, thats when Ross or Prince or Cweb have been gettign hurt.

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Thing is we need to suffocate Romo in the pocket. He is deadly when he dances outside of the pocket, and with our secondary, thats when Ross or Prince or Cweb have been gettign hurt.

thats why on passing downs i wouldnt use the 4 de line only. i'd mix it up and still use l.joseph and canty to try and collapse the interior of dallas OL. when we have that 4 de front, it seems like they're all racing to the qb and lose responsibility on there gaps which with a qb like romo can hurt u bc he is mobile enough to step up and manipulate the pressure to buy him extra time.

Gianthunter
12-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Thing is we need to suffocate Romo in the pocket. He is deadly when he dances outside of the pocket, and with our secondary, thats when Ross or Prince or Cweb have been gettign hurt. thats why on passing downs i wouldnt use the 4 de line only. i'd mix it up and still use l.joseph and canty to try and collapse the interior of dallas OL. when we have that 4 de front, it seems like they're all racing to the qb and lose responsibility on there gaps which with a qb like romo can hurt u bc he is mobile enough to step up and manipulate the pressure to buy him extra time.Aka Osi's upstream half way to goal-line move.

GMENAGAIN
12-30-2011, 07:19 PM
My biggest fear is the Meadowlands wind that Eli has killed Eli . . . . . .

NYGFaninILL
12-30-2011, 08:08 PM
100% agree, except for one thing, we made Felix Jones look like Barry Sanders.

We NEED to do a better job stopping the run.

Easy-Duz-It
12-30-2011, 11:37 PM
i love at the end of the replay version on nfl network when they show the postgame locker room huddle and tc is talking about taking the star off the mountain and putting the ny on top....eli chimes in "Gotta keep it there!" and tc continues..."yep gotta keep it there". it's kinda funny when you watch it. HA HA HA HA HA!

giantsfan420
01-01-2012, 11:58 PM
very nice. looks like the giants did everything they could have to improve and play well from the first matchup