PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on our roster as of now?

Carnage781
05-04-2013, 01:37 PM
QB: Manning, Nassib
HB: Wilson, Brown, Scott, Cox
FB: Hynoski
TE: Myers, Robinson, Pascoe
WR: Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Murphy, Jernigan
OT: Beatty, Pugh, Brewer, Mosley
OG: Snee, Boothe, Diehl(compete with Boothe for LG spot), Herman
C: Baas

DE: JPP, Tuck, Moore, Ojomo
DT: Joseph, Jenkins, Hankins, Rogers/Patterson (whoever wins)
OLB: Kiwanuka, Rivers, Williams, Paysinger
ILB: Connor, Herzlich
CB: Prince, Webster, Thomas, Ross, Hosley
S: Rolle, Brown, Taylor, Hill, Tweedy

K: Brown
P: Weatherford

This is 50/53, we would probably want to add a WR, LB, CB to round it out

for WR we have a few guys that can compete for the 6th spot, I would maybe bring Barden back to maybe compete for the 4th or 5th spot, he played well agains Carolina but never got another chance for whatever reason, but him competing with the rest of the guys for 1 last spot is fine considering our top 4 is fantastic

LB....I am a bit more optimistic about this group, Blackburn did a decent job as our starter for a year and a half, Connor isnt great, but he IS an upgrade over what we had. Only issue is we have him for 1 year as of right now. I think Boley wont be missed with Jacquain Williams, i really like him and think he can step in and do just fine. Kiwanuka is also good....but only in passing situations, doesnt offer much in terms of run defense. But we have 2 solid starters, then Herzlich/Rivers as depth in solid as well, if we can get a Nick Barnett for cheap (lol i know not happening) that would be a good move I feel, but Kiwi/Rivers should produce at the 3rd LB spot, but we need a vet to provide depth, we need 7 guys 6 is not enough

CB T2 is coming off injury but if healthy he provides depth we didnt have last year, and Ross back with us adds even more, we have Prince and Hosley our young guys, and a big ? with Webster who knows which one we'll get, but overall, this improve improved slighty with depth, and shouldnt see any drops in production, with a dolstered DL should actually make their lives easier, i would bring in Bruce and Witherspoon back to compete for the 6th spot, id prefer bruce Johnson myself

Carnage781
05-04-2013, 01:37 PM
posted by accident will finish it momentarily

Sovereign
05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I will legitimately bet with anyone and everyone who thinks Marvin Austin will be cut.

brad
05-04-2013, 07:17 PM
I am pretty sure Kiwi is moving to DE, and am not convinced that Nassib earns the backup role right away. I am sure there will be a few other changes before the season starts.

I think the offense has the potential to be very good. The defense has me a bit worried though, primarily because of the linebacking group. There isn't a whole lot to be excited about there. I do think the line will improve, as will the secondary. Using the 3 safety set might help with the LB concerns and make this a decent defense, but I don't expect much more than decent.

Toadofsteel
05-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Why does everyone here forget about DeOssie?

river555
05-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Tweedy ahead of Sash is waaaaaaaay to premature.

Carter.525
05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Tweedy ahead of Sash is waaaaaaaay to premature.

Tweedy will be a great ST player for this team.. I think it will come down to Sash or Mundy..

jomo
05-04-2013, 08:32 PM
I predict that there will be one linebacker and one cornerback on our final roster that is not currently on the team.

brad
05-04-2013, 08:36 PM
I predict that there will be one linebacker and one cornerback on our final roster that is not currently on the team.

I agree with LB... not so sure about corner, I think it depends on how good, or bad, Webster and TT look.

titwio
05-04-2013, 08:39 PM
The Giants need 6 receivers especially with all the injury concerns they've had through the years at the position. I hope Marcus Davis makes the cut but if he doesn't....they'll def need someone else. Hopefully that person plays ST's as well.

nhpgiantsfan
05-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Boothe is a lock to start. Diehl has no shot to compete with him. DD will only be playing RT unless the kid wins the starting job right away.

Kiwi probably goes to DE but as a LB is only useful against the run. He can't cover anyone in the passing game.

Harooni
05-04-2013, 09:00 PM
i personally think it stinks , feel we didnt upgrade starters at all. but what do I know. Giants have a way of winning and looking good with backups and 2nd team guys.

LayLow
05-04-2013, 09:02 PM
I think we are gonna carry 3 QB's.

LayLow
05-04-2013, 09:05 PM
I will legitimately bet with anyone and everyone who thinks Marvin Austin will be cut. I'm in. Austin has been a complete bust and I doubt he shows anything in camp to earn a spot.

titwio
05-04-2013, 09:10 PM
I think we are gonna carry 3 QB's.

I think that might happen to start to the season but Carr will get cut not long after. Can't see them doing it once injuries start.

river555
05-05-2013, 08:44 AM
word is Tweedy is an excellent ST player but to say an undrafted FA who only excels at ST is a lock to make the team before his first practice is premature. lets not forget Sash is also very good at ST, during his rookie year was active all 16 game, playoffs and SB and was in on every ST play and played very well. Plus Sash can actaully play some safety.

jomo
05-05-2013, 08:58 AM
i personally think it stinks , feel we didnt upgrade starters at all. but what do I know. Giants have a way of winning and looking good with backups and 2nd team guys.Did you photo shop that right arm 'rooni?

Redeyejedi
05-05-2013, 10:01 AM
If Nicks is healthy the Offense will be 1 of the best in the NFL, Top 5 good. The weapons on this team are exceptional but Nicks is still the most important 1.If he is 100% the complimentry pieces like Murphy and Randle will flourish against DB's they are better then.The Offense will have to carry the team because.......

The Defense is a train wreck. Outside of JPP I dont think they can get to the QB. Hopefully Cullen Jenkins can give them some kind of inside pass rush which has been non existent. Justin Tuck is a shell of himself, Umenyoria is to but he is in Atlanta, Mathias Kiwanuka has never been the pass rusher he is made out to be on this board, and Damontre Moore is a rookie. They brought in a ton of new bodies at DT. Hopefully they can close up the interior gaps because the LB group has the potiental to be terrible.The starters at LB must stay healthy. If Jacqiuain Williams and Keith Rivers "Yeah Right" can stay on the field they will be OK.If they dont it could turn into a disaster on the second level. Dan Conner was brought in to help the run defense even though he was awful in Dallas last season. He is a mediocre journeymen LB that is made out to be great because he played at PSU. While Blackburn wasnt perfect he did have the flare for making the big play.Im not very optimistic about that move.The CB's are a capable vet group with some injury concerns . Id believe Prince will emerge as 1 of the NFL's best CB's and Webster will bounce back to 2011 form. After those 2 u have Jayron Hosley who was disappointing but has potential to be a very good Nickel corner ,Aaron Ross should be an upgrade as the 3rd or 4th corner. TT im not counting on making the team but if he somehow manages to return to something close to his former self this unit could be very good,The Safeties I have a hard time believing will be better then last year. the Giants were much better with Kenny Phillips on the field averaging more then a TD less per game when active. Rolle cant play deep and is more undersized LB then safety. Stevie Brown was 1 of the most surprising players in the NFL last season and had some great moments. However the plays u dont make at safety have just as much impact as the 1's u do. Interceptions can be fluky and if he isnt getting them is Stevie Brown going to limit enough big plays for the Giants , we shall see. I like Will Hill a lot and hope he continues to get more snaps.

I think the key to the Defense will be whether the additions across the Defensive line can allow the Giants to take back the line of scrimmage. If the Defense cant muster enough interior pressure to help out the ends and if they cant shut down the between the tackle running lanes they are in for another 9-7,10-6 season.

brad
05-05-2013, 10:12 AM
If Nicks is healthy the Offense will be 1 of the best in the NFL, Top 5 good. The weapons on this team are exceptional but Nicks is still the most important 1.If he is 100% the complimentry pieces like Murphy and Randle will flourish against DB's they are better then.The Offense will have to carry the team because.......

The Defense is a train wreck. Outside of JPP I dont think they can get to the QB. Hopefully Cullen Jenkins can give them some kind of inside pass rush which has been non existent. Justin Tuck is a shell of himself, Umenyoria is to but he is in Atlanta, Mathias Kiwanuka has never been the pass rusher he is made out to be on this board, and Damontre Moore is a rookie. They brought in a ton of new bodies at DT. Hopefully they can close up the interior gaps because the LB group has the potiental to be terrible.The starters at LB must stay healthy. If Jacqiuain Williams and Keith Rivers "Yeah Right" can stay on the field they will be OK.If they dont it could turn into a disaster on the second level. Dan Conner was brought in to help the run defense even though he was awful in Dallas last season. He is a mediocre journeymen LB that is made out to be great because he played at PSU. While Blackburn wasnt perfect he did have the flare for making the big play.Im not very optimistic about that move.The CB's are a capable vet group with some injury concerns . Id believe Prince will emerge as 1 of the NFL's best CB's and Webster will bounce back to 2011 form. After those 2 u have Jayron Hosley who was disappointing but has potential to be a very good Nickel corner ,Aaron Ross should be an upgrade as the 3rd or 4th corner. TT im not counting on making the team but if he somehow manages to return to something close to his former self this unit could be very good,The Safeties I have a hard time believing will be better then last year. the Giants were much better with Kenny Phillips on the field averaging more then a TD less per game when active. Rolle cant play deep and is more undersized LB then safety. Stevie Brown was 1 of the most surprising players in the NFL last season and had some great moments. However the plays u dont make at safety have just as much impact as the 1's u do. Interceptions can be fluky and if he isnt getting them is Stevie Brown going to limit enough big plays for the Giants , we shall see. I like Will Hill a lot and hope he continues to get more snaps.

I think the key to the Defense will be whether the additions across the Defensive line can allow the Giants to take back the line of scrimmage. If the Defense cant muster enough interior pressure to help out the ends and if they cant shut down the between the tackle running lanes they are in for another 9-7,10-6 season.

A difficult read... would help if you broke these thoughts up a bit instead of one big lump of sentences... however, some very good points about the defense.

IMO, the d-line problems last year were as much about talent and scheme as it was the way offenses schemed against them. Offenses were getting rid of the ball faster, and using the run game to negate the pass rush. This attacked the primary weaknesses on the Giants D, the DT and LB groups. I think the DT group is potentially much better this year. The LB group, on the other hand, has not improved at all. You are only as strong as your weakest link, and the LB group is clearly the weak link.

joemorrisforprez
05-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I am perfectly fine with the offense. We have a great QB, RB tandem, and WRs. The offensive line should be improved.

DT should be better.

The loss of Osi will be difficult to overcome. I don't expect DaMontre Moore to be able to jump in right away and contribute, and anyone expecting him to be Osi in his prime is not being rational. The same goes for Hankins. Marvin Austin could be a bigger key to this defense than many would expect....if he's a true bust (which I fear is the case) then it falls to a couple Eagles retreads to hold together the interior of this team. It's possible they might be okay....they sure know how to shut down Gilbride's running game, that's for sure.

If Tuck does not have a bounce back year, the defense will continue to suffer, especially given Reese's "All eggs in one basket" approach to building this defense.

The secondary received little help, and the linebackers will be either the same or worse than last season. Dan Connor for Chase Blackburn is a wash, at best.....Chase was a smart player. Boley was our best linebacker, and has not been replaced.

In short, the offense will need to score at least 27 points per game to win in 2013.

hugehomer
05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Outside of four starters from last year on the OL and Pugh, the GIants have ZERO OL who are locks to make the roster. Pretty bad.