PDA

View Full Version : Observations

Red Dog
05-04-2013, 03:06 PM
A lot of talk on the airwaves about how much will Eagles draftee QB contribute this season.. Uh, don't the Eagles have a starting QB?
Reese makes his draft choices and his selections and seems to not need to generate defending his choices. Jerry Jones, who blew his 1st round pick trading down and then selected a center of little renown was on TV immediately telling the world what a great pick he made and had him listed as a 1st round #1 pick, and the Cowboys, oh boy. we made so many great choices in this draftto help our team. Now if only they could draft a new owner/GM. Hmmm
Every coach and GM immediately trumpets their great achievements of drafting eveyone they wanted and how high their choices were rated (by them). But, if they are so confident and their selections so great, why the cuts at the end of training camp. Cutting that many great players if they were that great to begin with would present enough talent to start another football league.
Again, I don't see Reese or Coughlin doing the "draft-day-spin," not that they don't come on TV at some point as result of an interview and tout their selections, but not to the same degree as other coaches and GM's needing to defend questionable selections that will insure their team conyinues to stink up their conference.
I confess, I am the least of the least of talent/needs assessments, but even I get a little befuddled at some of the selections teams make. It's almost like some of the selectors have tunnel vision combined with the dreaded "Peter Principle" of having been promoted over their competency level by people above them who are already over their competency level.
Call me biased, but I watch the draft, love watching the draft, but when the Giants select I get a little apprehensive and excited but have confidence in the current FO and coaches because I've been a fan since 1951 and I lived through some pretty lean years and bad choices. And, to quell all rumores, I actually did not try to take my life when Rocky Thompson was selected as their #1 pick, 1961 I think. Just sayin cause it's what I see and experience has made me. After those lean New Haven Bowl years can't like Reese and Coughlin enough. From Charleston, SC, all y'all have a nice day now, hear?

JesseJames
05-04-2013, 05:53 PM
A lot of talk on the airwaves about how much will Eagles draftee QB contribute this season.. Uh, don't the Eagles have a starting QB?
Reese makes his draft choices and his selections and seems to not need to generate defending his choices. Jerry Jones, who blew his 1st round pick trading down and then selected a center of little renown was on TV immediately telling the world what a great pick he made and had him listed as a 1st round #1 pick, and the Cowboys, oh boy. we made so many great choices in this draftto help our team. Now if only they could draft a new owner/GM. Hmmm
Every coach and GM immediately trumpets their great achievements of drafting eveyone they wanted and how high their choices were rated (by them). But, if they are so confident and their selections so great, why the cuts at the end of training camp. Cutting that many great players if they were that great to begin with would present enough talent to start another football league.
Again, I don't see Reese or Coughlin doing the "draft-day-spin," not that they don't come on TV at some point as result of an interview and tout their selections, but not to the same degree as other coaches and GM's needing to defend questionable selections that will insure their team conyinues to stink up their conference.
I confess, I am the least of the least of talent/needs assessments, but even I get a little befuddled at some of the selections teams make. It's almost like some of the selectors have tunnel vision combined with the dreaded "Peter Principle" of having been promoted over their competency level by people above them who are already over their competency level.
Call me biased, but I watch the draft, love watching the draft, but when the Giants select I get a little apprehensive and excited but have confidence in the current FO and coaches because I've been a fan since 1951 and I lived through some pretty lean years and bad choices. And, to quell all rumores, I actually did not try to take my life when Rocky Thompson was selected as their #1 pick, 1961 I think. Just sayin cause it's what I see and experience has made me. After those lean New Haven Bowl years can't like Reese and Coughlin enough. From Charleston, SC, all y'all have a nice day now, hear?

being a fan since 1951 you've seen some very good and some very bad, stay loyal my friend...

Drez
05-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Not really. Vick hasn't shown that he can be a top tier QB. He had that one good year and that was it. After that you have Foles and Dixon. Neither of which are awe inspiring. Not that Barkley is, but they are far from being settled at QB.