PDA

View Full Version : Can Dan Connor Be The Man In The Middle For The Giants?

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 08:40 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/06/can-dan-connor-be-the-man-in-the-middle-for-the-new-york-giants/

Excerpt: "Although the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants' linebacker search may continue beyond this week, they've added another name to the mix today, signing linebacker Dan Connor (http://www.giants101.com/tag/dan-connor/) to a one-year deal.

Depth at linebacker for the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants has been a widely discussed topic in recent weeks and months. Currently, Big Blue has Dan Connor (http://www.giants101.com/tag/dan-connor/), Mark Herzlich and Jake Muasau under contract and the team did not look to address the position last week in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Draft. So, in early May, just a month before the team reports for mandatory mini-camp, the team's starting middle linebacker by default is Connor, who was brought in by the Giants in March on a one-year deal (http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/16/new-york-giants-agree-to-terms-with-linebacker-dan-connor-on-a-one-year-deal/).

In the five years that Connor has been a pro, he's already been through two teams, having played for the Carolina Panthers and most recently, the Dallas Cowboys in 2012.

Connor originally served as a backup to Sean Lee, but ended up stepping in as the starter due to Lee landing on Injured Reserve (IR). The former Penn State graduate started in eight games for Dallas and made 57 total tackles, 29 of them solo. But his best season as a pro came in 2011 with the Panthers, where he started in 11 of the 15 games he played and made 73 total tackles, 52 of them solo, and a forced fumble.

Can Connor be the every-down linebacker for the Giants going forward into the season? Right now, it's very hard to tell." Read more...

penguinfarmer
05-06-2013, 09:14 AM
With Rivers' athleticism and one year in the system, I expected him to be the week 1 starter at MLB. Then when he gets injured, Dan Connor becomes the starter at MLB by week 2.

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 09:22 AM
With Rivers' athleticism and one year in the system, I expected him to be the week 1 starter at MLB. Then when he gets injured, Dan Connor becomes the starter at MLB by week 2.

I love your optimistic approach :)

gumby74
plug and play

Kruunch

If they're truly moving Kiwi to DE, Rivers would be the starting SAM.

Our starting LBers would look like this: Rivers (SAM), Connors (MIKE), JWill (WILL)

GameTime
05-06-2013, 09:24 AM
ehh.....more "wait and see" with the LB group...
who knows. Just when they seem to get a decent rotation two guys go down. Its a crap shoot at best...

egyptian420
05-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I hope he is... Behind him there is really no one who's MLB material. I've come to accept that our D is built around our front 4 and not our linebackers. I can live with a mediocre group of linebackers.

GameTime
05-06-2013, 09:36 AM
I hope he is... Behind him there is really no one who's MLB material. I've come to accept that our D is built around our front 4 and not our linebackers. I can live with a mediocre group of linebackers.
****....I would just like to see the same group of guys play for more then three games at a time. To top off mediocre players they have almost 0 continuity..

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Given the FA signings that has to be their strategy. We've added almost 1,000 pounds of wide bodied linemen.

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 09:39 AM
****....I would just like to see the same group of guys play for more then three games at a time. To top off mediocre players they have almost 0 continuity..

This has to be a key concern. The best thing about the O'Hara, Seubert, Snee, Diehl, and MacKenzie group was they played so long together with very few injuries.

Carter.525
05-06-2013, 09:41 AM
If they're truly moving Kiwi to DE, Rivers would be the starting SAM.

Our starting LBers would look like this: Rivers (SAM), Connors (MIKE), JWill (WILL)

this

giantscolombia
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
hahah week 2

giantscolombia
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
We cant fall back on bringing back Chase either. He is not a teacher anymore...

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Actually, he is a teacher :rolleyes:

GameTime
05-06-2013, 10:10 AM

he sucked anyway and shouldn't be a starter. Yeah makes big plays every now and then, knows and calls the D, has great work ethic, and stays healthy.
But he stinks....

egyptian420
05-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Given the FA signings that has to be their strategy. We've added almost 1,000 pounds of wide bodied linemen.I love it...We should have one mean DT rotation and guys will be fresh

flashnando
05-06-2013, 11:42 AM
plug and play

USB?

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 11:44 AM
I love it...We should have one mean DT rotation and guys will be fresh

I really liked what the Eagles did last year with that defensive front scheme. Hard to wear out at the end of a game that way.

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 04:41 PM
http://cdn.allleftturns.com/www/sites/default/files/articles/magic_8ball_outlook_not_so_good.jpg

ryan12
05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
he sucked anyway and shouldn't be a starter. Yeah makes big plays every now and then, knows and calls the D, has great work ethic, and stays healthy.
But he stinks....

gonna miss me some chase

Fharcyde
05-07-2013, 02:08 PM
He seems like a poor man's version of Paul Posluszny. Both played at Penn State, Connor being drafted a year later. I'd like to think Dan Connor has a bit more speed and athleticism to him than Blackburn. Still I think there's a huge need at linebacker for depth at the very least. Should one of the starting linebackers get injured our linebacking corps is probably going to end up like our cornerback situtation did last year when we had to field Justin Tryon and Michael Coe. Disastrous.

More three safety looks and a clog of d-tackles could cover up some of the deficiencies at linebacker though.

Kruunch
05-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm sure we'll sign Elmo Shlippoweenus or some other stellar prospect that no in this hemisphere has heard of.

jonnyhaze
05-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I actually hope Herzlich gets better in the offseason and is able to win the starting job. I like his size and demeanor better than Dan Conner. But again this is wishful thinking. Job is probably Conner's to lose at this point.

Buddy333
05-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Thought it was posted somewhere that Conner was good against the run. As much as everyone liked Chase, he was not good against the run.

Kruunch
05-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Thought it was posted somewhere that Conner was good against the run. As much as everyone liked Chase, he was not good against the run.

Connor has the same problems with the run that Chase had ... stacking and shedding.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Connor has the same problems with the run that Chase had ... stacking and shedding.I will believe that when I see Connors being dragged for 3-5 yards after initial contact

TCHOF
05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Connor has the same problems with the run that Chase had ... stacking and shedding.

. . . and getting run over.

Captain Chaos
05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't think Connors is the answer in the middle and I believe the Giants will continue to look for an upgrade!

gmen0820
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
stacking and shedding.That's really emerged as this offseason's phrase of choice.

Last year it was the XYZs of WRs/TEs.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't think Connors is the answer in the middle and I believe the Giants will continue to look for an upgrade!I will agree that perhaps he is NOT the long term solution ...but I still feel he is an upgrade over chase

Eli TO Shockey
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Dansby would fill a HUGE void on this defense. Sadly its not going to happen

fansince69
05-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Dansby would fill a HUGE void on this defense. Sadly its not going to happenhe might be the right player but he is not the right price