PDA

View Full Version : What They're Saying: QB Ryan Nassib

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 03:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/25248/what-theyre-saying-qb-ryan-nassib

Excerpt: "Fourth-round pick: QB Ryan Nassib (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15891/ryan-nassib), Syracuse

Here's our rapid reaction (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/25072/rapid-reaction-giants-trade-up-take-nassib) and what the Giants are saying about Nassib:

Marc Ross: When I look at quarterbacks, I donít look at arm strength and all that. That stuff is secondary to me. I look at guys who are leaders and winners and raise the level of their team and when theyíre on the field they have a presence about them and some moxie to them. Those are the attributes to me that stood out with him. I saw him play twice this year when USC played here and then up in the snow in the bowl game up in Yankee Stadium. Then at the Senior Bowl. This guy just has a presence about him around his team, and then at the Senior Bowl around guys he didnít know. Those are the winning attributes for me that I look for in quarterbacks.

Tom Coughlin: [The Giants' quarterback position] is probably even more stable ... I like the kid. The kid was graded really basically right where we took him. He could have gone in the third round, Iím sure. We were worried about that. But he has got outstanding leadership qualities. And the way in which he directs and leads his team, the intangibles, he does have a strong arm. Those are the things that attract. He is a very, very intelligent young man. Of course, he went to a great school.

This is a great opportunity for Ryan because he is going to be in the classroom with Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning). That is going to be a tremendous learning experience. There is no way you can put a value on that for him. Now on top of that, he is a really sharp kid. He will learn; he will grow. He will learn by watching Eli. And when he gets opportunities in camp he will take full advantage of that and we will go from there.

Jerry Reese: Heís got the arm strength. We like the accuracy about him. We like that 'it' factor on him. When I first watched him he reminded me of the quarterback at Cincinnati (Andy Dalton (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14012/andy-dalton)) that played at TCU. He reminded me of Dalton in some ways when I first saw him, but our scouts liked him. Our coaches like him. Our quarterbacks coach (Sean Ryan (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5669/sean-ryan)) likes him. Too much value, we pick the highest guy on the board. Heís the highest guy on the board, we picked him.

We have Eli in the prime of his career and you actually hope this quarterback never plays. Again, what if something happens? We want to have a guy ready to go and this guy fits the pattern that we need." Read more...

gmen0820
05-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Tebow seems to be what Ross is looking for.

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Tebow seems to be what Ross is looking for.

Go to your room!

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 03:57 PM
This kid is going to be a tremendous free agency pickup for the Raiders in 2017.

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I like the things I have seen and heard about Nassib but I really dont think he will still be here when Eli retires or he will be waiting a long time.

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I like the things I have seen and heard about Nassib but I really dont think he will still be here when Eli retires or he will be waiting a long time.

I don't think the FO sees him as Eli's replacement IF Eli plays for more than 3 years, which he probably will. I think they see Nassib as a QB who can be mentored by Eli and, in the event of an injury to Eli, actually come in and drive down the field. No one has been worried about that in any serious way until now. It's a good thing that they are concerned that something could happen to Eli.

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't think the FO sees him as Eli's replacement IF Eli plays for more than 3 years, which he probably will. I think they see Nassib as a QB who can be mentored by Eli and, in the event of an injury to Eli, actually come in and drive down the field. No one has been worried about that in any serious way until now. It's a good thing that they are concerned that something could happen to Eli.

I think a few variables will come into play.....if Eli does get injured, and Nassib salvages a couple wins, his stock rises considerably....then it shifts to whether or not we can afford to pay him big money to wait another year or two. He is UFA in 4 years, when Eli will be 36. 38 is really the point when QBs either retire or begin to slide.....so can we afford to keep him on the bench for 5-6 years, and does he want to do that?.

If he's as good and confident as Reese believes, then I don't see him sitting still for more than a couple years without a trade being in the works....assuming Eli stays as durable as his personal and family history would suggest.

Like you said, most likely scenario is a capable young backup for a few years until the open market comes calling.

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 06:10 PM
I think a few variables will come into play.....if Eli does get injured, and Nassib salvages a couple wins, his stock rises considerably....then it shifts to whether or not we can afford to pay him big money to wait another year or two. He is UFA in 4 years, when Eli will be 36. 38 is really the point when QBs either retire or begin to slide.....so can we afford to keep him on the bench for 5-6 years, and does he want to do that?.

If he's as good and confident as Reese believes, then I don't see him sitting still for more than a couple years without a trade being in the works....assuming Eli stays as durable as his personal and family history would suggest.

Like you said, most likely scenario is a capable young backup for a few years until the open market comes calling.

There is just no way of knowing at what point, if any, Nassib will take the field but I think you have outlined most of the likely scenarios. I do hope Nassib outperforms Painter and Carr to the extent we can just keep two QBs come 2014.

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 06:32 PM
There is just no way of knowing at what point, if any, Nassib will take the field but I think you have outlined most of the likely scenarios. I do hope Nassib outperforms Painter and Carr to the extent we can just keep two QBs come 2014. Honestly I think we took a QB to early to take over for Eli and I dont see him knowing the playbook better then Carr or Painter in less then one year. So unless he shows something amazing during camp and pre-season or unless TC decides to go with 3 QB's. But even then I see him becoming trade bait and in two years we should start looking for Eli's replacement.

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Honestly I think we took a QB to early to take over for Eli and I dont see him knowing the playbook better then Carr or Painter in less then one year. So unless he shows something amazing during camp and pre-season or unless TC decides to go with 3 QB's. But even then I see him becoming trade bait and in two years we should start looking for Eli's replacement.

If he develops into a better understudy than Carr or Painter, he'll likely be here through his rookie contract. We really do need a back up who can actually play in case Eli's durability starts to slip.

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
If he develops into a better understudy than Carr or Painter, he'll likely be here through his rookie contract. We really do need a back up who can actually play in case Eli's durability starts to slip. Hopefully Eli's durability wont be a problem with the new Oline we will have this year. If he does stay then I would like to see another Farve and Rogers situation happen and more so the Rogers and not the Farve...lol

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Hopefully Eli's durability wont be a problem with the new Oline we will have this year. If he does stay then I would like to see another Farve and Rogers situation happen and more so the Rogers and not the Farve...lol

We really don't have a "new" Oline except for Pugh. He may be a plus, but we won't know until they take the field.

Morehead State
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM
We really don't have a "new" Oline except for Pugh. He may be a plus, but we won't know until they take the field.
Do we even know if Pugh is the RT. I know they hope he is. But I'm not sure he'll be the starter week 1.
I absolutely hated what I saw with those clips from the Senior Bowl.

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Do we even know if Pugh is the RT. I know they hope he is. But I'm not sure he'll be the starter week 1.
I absolutely hated what I saw with those clips from the Senior Bowl.

We are assuming by process of elimination lol The left side is set, Snee is probably set, RT is a competitive venture that I pray Pugh wins outright.

I try not to make decisions based on one game, especially like the senior bowl when you are playing with strangers for the first and only time.

BlueBlitzer
05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
That's why we have a GM like JR. We Fans always look at the year ahead, Jerry looks 2,3, even 4 years ahead to stack our team with solid players. We are so spoiled we get mad if we have a winning season, but still miss the playoffs. Doesn't anyone except Jerry Reese understand that this QB could be our next Jeff Hostetler ? ( And I think He was picked in the 4th Rd. too ).

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 07:51 PM
That's why we have a GM like JR. We Fans always look at the year ahead, Jerry looks 2,3, even 4 years ahead to stack our team with solid players. We are so spoiled we get mad if we have a winning season, but still miss the playoffs. Doesn't anyone except Jerry Reese understand that this QB could be our next Jeff Hostetler ? ( And I think He was picked in the 4th Rd. too ).

Many fans have suggested just that. Some fans overreact in protection of Eli assuming others want Nassib to start.

BlueBlitzer
05-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Many fans have suggested just that. Some fans overreact in protection of Eli assuming others want Nassib to start. Well as for me, I'm very excited about the future of this club right now. ( The QBs particularly ) We have avery reliable backup, and as far as Nassib ? Cue Kung Fu " When you can grasp the pebble out of my hand Grasshopper, you will be ready "

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Well as for me, I'm very excited about the future of this club right now. ( The QBs particularly ) We have avery reliable backup, and as far as Nassib ? Cue Kung Fu " When you can grasp the pebble out of my hand Grasshopper, you will be ready "

Wax on, wax off

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 08:17 PM
We really don't have a "new" Oline except for Pugh. He may be a plus, but we won't know until they take the field. Im pretty sure the Oline will be new. No way we go with what we had last year...Pugh has to be better at RT then Diehl was and I wouldn't be surprised to see Diehl move inside.

Harooni
05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I noticed they all talked about Leadership qualities. I find that very interesting that they focused on a QB with some Moxie.

gmen0820
05-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I noticed they all talked about Leadership qualities. I find that very interesting that they focused on a QB with some Moxie.Lol!

RoanokeFan
05-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Im pretty sure the Oline will be new. No way we go with what we had last year...Pugh has to be better at RT then Diehl was and I wouldn't be surprised to see Diehl move inside.

Aside from Pugh, everyone else is the same as last season

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Aside from Pugh, everyone else is the same as last season A new Oline to me is with anyone new in it and people playing new positions. Not a completely new staff, but being run way better with a few new changes. Kinda how our line worked when Diehl was out hurt. It seemed to me that it was way better, but the fact that Diehl was the starting T he was able to get his spot back when he got better. In my option it wasnt the best idea us.

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 05:31 AM
A new Oline to me is with anyone new in it and people playing new positions. Not a completely new staff, but being run way better with a few new changes. Kinda how our line worked when Diehl was out hurt. It seemed to me that it was way better, but the fact that Diehl was the starting T he was able to get his spot back when he got better. In my option it wasnt the best idea us.

Only two of our offensive linemen graded in positive territory; Beatty and Boothe. I don't think it's coincidental they play nest to each other. I have always believed that the Oline, more than any other unit, needs players to work together consistently to be as effective as they can be. That was the case with O'Hara, Snee, Diehl, Seubert, and MacKenzie. None of them were road graders individually but they combined to be a very effective unit.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Only two of our offensive linemen graded in positive territory; Beatty and Boothe. I don't think it's coincidental they play nest to each other. I have always believed that the Oline, more than any other unit, needs players to work together consistently to be as effective as they can be. That was the case with O'Hara, Snee, Diehl, Seubert, and MacKenzie. None of them were road graders individually but they combined to be a very effective unit.Much the way Nelson Ard Oates Godfey and Benson were back in the 80's no real stars but worked very well as a unit

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Much the way Nelson Ard Oates Godfey and Benson were back in the 80's no real stars but worked very well as a unit

Exactly. Young fans are now saying "who"? Those guys were the original "lunch pail" crew.

gumby74
05-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Much the way Nelson Ard Oates Godfey and Benson were back in the 80's no real stars but worked very well as a unit

I think Oates made the Pro Bowl. Or was I thinking USFL ...

gumby74
05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Many fans have suggested just that. Some fans overreact in protection of Eli assuming others want Nassib to start.

Make no mistake that if Eli has a couple down years, we're in salary cap hell, and we have a losing record, I'll be the first say proclaim we start rebuilding - starting with the QB.

RagTime Blue
05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Benson made the Pro Bowl.

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Make no mistake that if Eli has a couple down years, we're in salary cap hell, and we have a losing record, I'll be the first say proclaim we start rebuilding - starting with the QB.

Put your helmet and pads on :rolleyes:

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Benson made the Pro Bowl.
Yes but only because of one game where he owned Dexter Manley.
Brad Benson was a horrible tackle and was as responsible for Phil getting killed as any player.

Has a nice car dealership now though.

gumby74
05-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Put your helmet and pads on :rolleyes:

Haha. Unfortunately, people won't actually read my post and will automatically assume I want Nassib to replace Eli now.

joemorrisforprez
05-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Yes but only because of one game where he owned Dexter Manley.
Brad Benson was a horrible tackle and was as responsible for Phil getting killed as any player.

Has a nice car dealership now though.

Benson was solid 10 year veteran.

joemorrisforprez
05-07-2013, 02:04 PM

The Suburbanites!

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Benson was solid 10 year veteran.
I'm sorry...but he was horrible.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm sorry...but he was horrible.I am not sure I would describe him as horrible....but my original point was none of them with the possible exception of Oates was great individually....they played very well as a unit.....to me the offensive line is the perfect example of how to play as a team

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 02:42 PM
I am not sure I would describe him as horrible....but my original point was none of them with the possible exception of Oates was great individually....they played very well as a unit.....to me the offensive line is the perfect example of how to play as a team
They had a good year in 86. But they Giants O line wasn't dominant until Jumbo came along and anchored that line.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
They had a good year in 86. But they Giants O line wasn't dominant until Jumbo came along and anchored that line.By the time jumbo came along ...Roberts was playing and Moore followed shortly after ....it was pretty much a completely different line by the 90 super bowl

fansince69
05-07-2013, 02:47 PM
By the time jumbo came along ...Roberts was playing and Moore followed shortly after ....it was pretty much a completely different line by the 90 super bowlIt was along tome ago and I think Kratch and Reisenberg played on that line too

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 02:48 PM
By the time jumbo came along ...Roberts was playing and Moore followed shortly after ....it was pretty much a completely different line by the 90 super bowl
Well Moore and Jumbo came together, then Brian Williams came a year later.
Now THAT was a great O line!

George definitely dedicated the top of his drafts for a few years to the O line.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Well Moore and Jumbo came together, then Brian Williams came a year later.
Now THAT was a great O line!

George definitely dedicated the top of his drafts for a few years to the O line.Jumbo started as a rookie...Moore took a couple years to start and Williams wasn't drafted till after the super bowl I believe....doing all these years off top of my head.....not arguing...just trying to piece the evolution together

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Jumbo started as a rookie...Moore took a couple years to start and Williams wasn't drafted till after the super bowl I believe....doing all these years off top of my head.....not arguing...just trying to piece the evolution together
Honestly I thought they both started as rookies. But I'm going by memory myself. And Williams was definitely drafted before the 90 season. I think it was 89 and Rodney was 90.

Point is that the 90 O line was far superior to the 86 line.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Honestly I thought they both started as rookies. But I'm going by memory myself.

Point is that the 90 O line was far superior to the 86 line.I would agree but those 84-86 teams sure did open some holes for Morris.....The 90 team was a better line man to man....all I was trying to say was the 86 line played great as a unit.....Moore was actually a disappointment for like 2 years ....I think 90 was his first year starting.....again going from memory

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 02:58 PM
I would agree but those 84-86 teams sure did open some holes for Morris.....The 90 team was a better line man to man....all I was trying to say was the 86 line played great as a unit.....Moore was actually a disappointment for like 2 years ....I think 90 was his first year starting.....again going from memory
85 but definitely not 84.
Giants couldn't run the ball to save their lives in 84.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 03:00 PM
85 but definitely not 84.
Giants couldn't run the ball to save their lives in 84.made the playoffs but ill defer to your memory on that one....seemed like Morris had 3-4 good years

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
made the playoffs but ill defer to your memory on that one....seemed like Morris had 3-4 good years
Phil was sacked 55 times in 84. Morris had 500 or so yards in 84 and Robby had 700+.
But the sacks! And Phil threw for 4000 yards without a single guy catching 50 balls.

Remember that 3 safety game at LA?
That was actually the first time I ever shut the Giants off.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Phil was sacked 55 times in 84. Morris had 500 or so yards in 84 and Robby had 700+.
But the sacks! And Phil threw for 4000 yards without a single guy catching 50 balls.

Remember that 3 safety game at LA?
That was actually the first time I ever shut the Giants off.I don't remember the safeties.... I can honestly say I have never turned off a game....I assume you looked up the numbers......so I guess we can say that Oates brought that line together lol

Morehead State
05-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't remember the safeties.... I can honestly say I have never turned off a game....I assume you looked up the numbers......so I guess we can say that Oates brought that line together lol
Don't you remember the three safeties, all in the third quarter?
It was an incredible low point. Then Tuna made them go for a first down on 4th and short deep in their own territory., all out of spite for their performance that day....which they didn't make of course.

The vindication was beating the same team on the same field in the playoffs that season.

And the 3 safety game will always be etched in my mind, like the 20-20 Monday night game in St Louis.

fansince69
05-07-2013, 03:42 PM
It was an incredible low point. Then Tuna made them go for a first down on 4th and short deep in their own territory., all out of spite for their performance that day....which they didn't make of course.

The vindication was beating the same team on the same field in the playoffs that season.

And the 3 fumble game will always be etched in my mind, like the 20-20 Monday night game in St Louis.all I am going to say is vaguely....I have found in last few years my memory for certain things is NOT what it used to be....I'll rely on some of you guys for that stuff ....Thanks in advance

BlueBlitzer
05-07-2013, 06:36 PM

And the 3 safety game will always be etched in my mind, like the 20-20 Monday night game in St Louis. Once and awhile I still think back to that stupid game. ( Well every 10 years or so ). And then the demons I had to face on my job the next day. ( 2 months later they were still laughing and asking " Hey Man did the Giants score yet ? )