PDA

View Full Version : Giants to look at Aaron Curry

Broadway Blue
05-06-2013, 07:10 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/05/in-search-of-lbs-giants-to-look-at-aaron-curry

Carter.525
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't hate it..

egyptian420
05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
This guy was a huge bust, I remember all the hype around him in that draft when he went 4th overall. I guess I'm ok if we sign him for dirt cheap since our LBs could use any possible help but I'm not really too excited.

Rudyy
05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
I remember him too..who knows, maybe he is finally healthy..

FBomb
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Bad knees......camp fodder.

brad
05-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Any bodies they can bring in to compete at the LB position... not exactly expecting him to be a great LB, but it is worth taking a look

gmen0820
05-06-2013, 07:18 PM
"Safe signing."

luni
05-06-2013, 07:19 PM
wouldnt hate it.

darrin99
05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
He's #9 on Bleacher Reports Top 10 worst draft picks in the last 10 years.

C1010
05-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Im just going to come out and say it: I like this move a lot.

Broadway Blue
05-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I would be all in for it since Reese didn't take a single linebacker in the draft

FBomb
05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Be nice if he was this years diamond in the rough we are always finding.

Moecoastie77
05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
size/weight/speed....Giants are very big on this

B&RWarrior
05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
**Charlie Brown teacher voice :(

egyptian420
05-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Be nice if he was this years diamond in the rough we are always finding.+1

JsBigBlue
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Seems like a nice guy and a good player thats looking for the right place to shine.

Eli TO Shockey
05-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Im all for high talent low risk players like Curry to try out. nothing to lose.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
05-06-2013, 08:01 PM
At this point why not? It really couldn't hurt at this point, maybe he regains whatever he had in college.

gmen0820
05-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Sign Curry and McClain (if he gets cut), then we can have three top ten pick LBers. And who says Reese doesn't like first round 'backers?

darrin99
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
At this point why not? It really couldn't hurt at this point, maybe he regains whatever he had in college.
Maybe, but it may be the thing he no longer has is 20 year old knees.

M00KIE
05-06-2013, 08:34 PM
I like Curry. Don't care about what he failed to do before. Imo he's a guy worth giving a chance.

brad
05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Maybe, but it may be the thing he no longer has is 20 year old knees.

Possibly... but there is no harm in bringing him in to find out

darrin99
05-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Possibly... but there is no harm in bringing him in to find out

True....

giantyankee1976
05-06-2013, 08:52 PM
50/50 on this

BigJ
05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
So say if they do sign him, who is our first and second string backers goin into camp? And who is taking over for Kiwi at SLB? Rivers? Is it possible that he regains his form and we have a whole new line backing core in? Rivers Connor and Curry.

TheAussieGiant
05-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Big name coming in for a look. But its meaningless. If he can't make the Raiders squad I doubt he makes ours.

BigJ
05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Big name coming in for a look. But its meaningless. If he can't make the Raiders squad I doubt he makes ours. most of our guys would be cut from other teams to so don't be surprised if we bring him in for the right price

darrin99
05-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Big name coming in for a look. But its meaningless. If he can't make the Raiders squad I doubt he makes ours.

Yeah, but the Raiders may be the worst organization in the NFL for recognizing talent.

jomo
05-06-2013, 09:14 PM
wouldnt hate it.Until he makes the roster he's just some guy and given the sad state of our LB corps, he's worth a look.

GiantRoc
05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Sign Curry and McClain (if he gets cut), then we can have three top ten pick LBers. And who says Reese doesn't like first round 'backers?

Sure he likes 1st round linedackers. He just likes them after other teams use their 1st round pick in the draft. There is no reason not give a guy with that much promise a shot at a come back. I hate to call a guy a bust if his lack of performance is due to injury, rather than lack of talent or character. We need to look at all possibilities for our LB woes.

PRGiant
05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Haha nice!

gmen0820
05-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Sure he likes 1st round linedackers. He just likes them after other teams use their 1st round pick in the draft. There is no reason not give a guy with that much promise a shot at a come back. I hate to call a guy a bust if his lack of performance is due to injury, rather than lack of talent or character. We need to look at all possibilities for our LB woes.No, GRoc, don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying. Low-risk/High-reward principle, and all of that j*** makes sense.

My feelings on this move is that, although it's good to address the need for depth, it's not worth getting excited over because Curry has -- simply put -- been a pretty bad NFL player. Kind of relevant with his retirement decision is Clint Sintim: high pick, good measurables, talented, few injuries, and whatnot. Let's pretend we didn't draft him. If the Giants worked him out, people familiar with the name would -- similar to now -- be aboard with the move (maybe even a little bit excited), but in all actuality Sintim is a bad player that's probably not even worth noting. Same with Danny Watkins, whose name has appeared on this board recently.

As counterintuitive as it might seem, when it comes to these kinds of low-risk/high-reward moves, the guys that I want are the ones with work-ethic concerns. If you don't have the skills to play in this league, change of scenery isn't gonna do much for you. But if you have character issues, it could salvage your career. Plus, if they start causing problems in the locker room, cut him; it ain't called low-risk for nothing, you know?

TheAnalyst
05-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Id honestly rather we resign Blackburn.

darrin99
05-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Id honestly rather we resign Blackburn.
Chase is on the Panthers.

joemorrisforprez
05-06-2013, 10:30 PM
This guy is a prototypical Jerry Reese linebacker.

http://catur-putraharmonis.com/lib/images/content/products/others/retread.jpg

giantsfan420
05-06-2013, 10:56 PM
wait wait. i remember when there were discussions made on here about curry when he was on the trading block from seattle. i was for looking into it back then, now that we could get him for min. and no draft pick, im all for it. he actually had spurts where he kinda displayed play worthy of his pick. but injury and i guess seattle just hurt him. all for giving ppl 2nd chances.

TheAnalyst
05-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Chase is on the Panthers.

Well there goes our season....

FIFTY6G-MAN
05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Yeah, but the Raiders may be the worst organization in the NFL for recognizing talent.Have you looked at Jerry World lately??

BeatYale
05-06-2013, 11:48 PM
I remember that draft year, Curry was like the can't-miss-pick. What went wrong? Lack of work ethic? Poor instincts on the field? Couldn't get off blocks?

darrin99
05-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Have you looked at Jerry World lately??

Who are you referring to? Jones or Reese?

darrin99
05-07-2013, 12:01 AM
I remember that draft year, Curry was like the can't-miss-pick. What went wrong? Lack of work ethic? Poor instincts on the field? Couldn't get off blocks?

Chronic knee injuries

Fharcyde
05-07-2013, 12:19 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000046286/article/aaron-curry-of-raiders-underwent-stemcell-therapy
Published: Aug. 5, 2012 at 08:40 a.m.

Oakland Raiders linebacker Aaron Curry remains on the "Active/PUP" list due to a pair of injured knees, but feels he's close to coming back after undergoing stem-cell therapy this offseason, Paul Gutierrez of CSN Bay Area reports.

It's the only thing that's helping me recover," Curry said on Saturday. "Without it, I'd be a lost cause. For sure."
Keith Rivers' injuries seemed like they were more worth taking a chance on because he wasn't losing speed because of leg injuries. I don't see why we wouldn't take a flier on one of these younger, veteran linebackers for the minimum salary or somewhere near it. He's probably still got more athleticism than Dan Connor and he has good size. Still plenty of untapped potential, but we don't seem to have much luck untapping linebackers.

bearbryant
05-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Taking a look doesn't hurt. Do we have anyone better right now? Go Giants!

GiantRoc
05-07-2013, 02:09 AM
No, GRoc, don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying. Low-risk/High-reward principle, and all of that j*** makes sense.

My feelings on this move is that, although it's good to address the need for depth, it's not worth getting excited over because Curry has -- simply put -- been a pretty bad NFL player. Kind of relevant with his retirement decision is Clint Sintim: high pick, good measurables, talented, few injuries, and whatnot. Let's pretend we didn't draft him. If the Giants worked him out, people familiar with the name would -- similar to now -- be aboard with the move (maybe even a little bit excited), but in all actuality Sintim is a bad player that's probably not even worth noting. Same with Danny Watkins, whose name has appeared on this board recently.

As counterintuitive as it might seem, when it comes to these kinds of low-risk/high-reward moves, the guys that I want are the ones with work-ethic concerns. If you don't have the skills to play in this league, change of scenery isn't gonna do much for you. But if you have character issues, it could salvage your career. Plus, if they start causing problems in the locker room, cut him; it ain't called low-risk for nothing, you know?

To be honest, I didn't get the full story on his release from Seattle and Oakland. I thought it was injury based. It's hard to understand guys having talent so much higher than the rest in college, only to be so out classed at the pro level. I get what you are saying on him.

Rat_bastich
05-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Who are you referring to? Jones or Reese?

Think he is talking about Jerry Jones, the circus that is.

Captain Chaos
05-07-2013, 07:08 AM
I wouldn't say this guy isn't worth a look (double negative jeez), the issue here is his knees. If I'm JR and TC I take a look as well...

TheAnalyst
05-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Im just worried we once again neglected to do anything about our linebackers. It really is stupifying. We lost our starting MLB in Chase and our Starting OLB in Boley and all we did was pick up Connor? We resigned Rivers who is always hurt. Jacquaun Willy needs to have a rebound year. I just dont understand why we didnt go for a LB in the draft. Take a shot late. Another RB in the 7th? A QB in the 4th? Im utterly confused. LB is by far the biggest hole on this team. Maybe they think that Maussua kid can step up? Or they want to give Herzlich another shot? Paysinger is a STs LB at best.

egyptian420
05-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Im just worried we once again neglected to do anything about our linebackers. It really is stupifying. We lost our starting MLB in Chase and our Starting OLB in Boley and all we did was pick up Connor? We resigned Rivers who is always hurt. Jacquaun Willy needs to have a rebound year. I just dont understand why we didnt go for a LB in the draft. Take a shot late. Another RB in the 7th? A QB in the 4th? Im utterly confused. LB is by far the biggest hole on this team. Maybe they think that Maussua kid can step up? Or they want to give Herzlich another shot? Paysinger is a STs LB at best.Yea I felt the same way up until a few days ago when I just accepted the way our organization sees things which is bolster and beef up the Dline and all else will follow.

Connor, Rivers, Jacquian, a mix of this Taylor kid, this new Sabino guy that everyone seems to drool over, and some other FA scrubs like Curry and that's about as good as it gets for us with regards to LBs.

egyptian420
05-07-2013, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't say this guy isn't worth a look (double negative jeez), the issue here is his knees. If I'm JR and TC I take a look as well...I haven't really focused on him the little time that he was on the field, but according to a lot of Seattle fans it wasn't just his injury, they're saying he was flat out bad.

But then again, if my team spent a 4th overall pick on someone who ended up being like Curry, I would probably not have too many nice things to say about him either.

Kruunch
05-07-2013, 08:37 AM
I love our Salvation Army pickups.

TheAnalyst
05-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Connor, Rivers, Jacquian, a mix of this Taylor kid, this new Sabino guy that everyone seems to drool over, and some other FA scrubs like Curry and that's about as good as it gets for us with regards to LBs.

I was just looking into that Sabino kid. He reminds me of another Paysinger to be honest. Stong STer at best. Fill in backup OLB in the 4-3. He has speed which can be good vs the moble QBs we face, but his coverage is pretty weak. Sounds like he is a hard working, non stop motor kind of guy though. He is a Coughlin player.

GiantsSB23
05-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Mclain has too many off the field issues, he's not a Giants material

FIFTY6G-MAN
05-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Who are you referring to? Jones or Reese?J.J. for sure. Jerry World is where the Cowpies play, AKA Giants home field AWAY from home.

devilsadvocate
05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Im just worried we once again neglected to do anything about our linebackers. It really is stupifying. We lost our starting MLB in Chase and our Starting OLB in Boley and all we did was pick up Connor? We resigned Rivers who is always hurt. Jacquaun Willy needs to have a rebound year. I just dont understand why we didnt go for a LB in the draft. Take a shot late. Another RB in the 7th? A QB in the 4th? Im utterly confused. LB is by far the biggest hole on this team. Maybe they think that Maussua kid can step up? Or they want to give Herzlich another shot? Paysinger is a STs LB at best.
QFT

Maybe someone will get cut early in camps that might turn out to be a starter for this team but at the moment the LB corp lacks even mediocre talent.

TAILGATIN'
05-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Be nice if he was this years diamond in the rough we are always finding.
Who knows if he's healthy, guys like this have a lot to prove and usually play with a chip on their shoulder and a mean streak. Could pan out for the better or at least bring some competition in.

egyptian420
05-07-2013, 10:37 AM
I was just looking into that Sabino kid. He reminds me of another Paysinger to be honest. Stong STer at best. Fill in backup OLB in the 4-3. He has speed which can be good vs the moble QBs we face, but his coverage is pretty weak. Sounds like he is a hard working, non stop motor kind of guy though. He is a Coughlin player.His description seems to fit our LB philosophy perfectly

darrin99
05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
J.J. for sure. Jerry World is where the Cowpies play, AKA Giants home field AWAY from home.

Just making sure. J.R. seems to have some haters nowadays. ;)

Rat_bastich
05-07-2013, 10:48 AM
If Aaron Curry is picked up he is nothing more than a reclamation project in the same mold as Keith Rivers. If he works out then he ups his own value and gets a long term contract from us or another team. If he doesn't work out, no harm no foul.

qndarius3
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM

cmon man, you really dont get it? the giants devalue the linebacker position in favor of the dline. we are often running out only 2 linebackers. for the linebackers we do have, we have a premium on athleticism due to having vick and RGIII in the division, which is why we are willing to run with a guy like williams. and why a guy like curry or rivers gets a look. its as simple as that.

darrin99
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
cmon man, you really dont get it? the giants devalue the linebacker position in favor of the dline. we are often running out only 2 linebackers. for the linebackers we do have, we have a premium on athleticism due to having vick and RGIII in the division, which is why we are willing to run with a guy like williams. and why a guy like curry or rivers gets a look. its as simple as that.

^^^This^^^ QFT.

Redeyejedi
05-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah, but the Raiders may be the worst organization in the NFL for recognizing talent.They cut Stevie Brown

moosedrool
05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
The knee injury Curry suffered in 2012 training camp lingered all year. Before that injury he was mediocre at best. If his knee is healed, and thats a big if, we've got another mediocre LB. He fits right in!

pino
05-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Why the hell not? At the very least I won't be disappointed in him because my expectations are low.

jomo
05-07-2013, 02:24 PM
The knee injury Curry suffered in 2012 training camp lingered all year. Before that injury he was mediocre at best. If his knee is healed, and thats a big if, we've got another mediocre LB. He fits right in!Any upgrade is a good upgrade lol.

Greatone80
05-08-2013, 07:10 PM
So,,,any news on him or rondo yet?

ELI_HOF_NYG
05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
They cut Stevie Brown

I think stevie was more lucky than good,,,most of his picks were right in his lap, he doesn't demonstrate ball hawking abilities in addition to many blown coverages himself. this year will be the true indicator of what they have in him