PDA

View Full Version : Mara re Cruz: "I'm pretty confident we'll end up reaching a deal"

UKAnt14
05-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Just because we haven't had a Cruz thread in a while...John Mara this morning told NFL AM: "I'm pretty confident that we'll end up reaching a deal." He also called the negotiations slow & steady - per Art Stapleton.More positive news. Hopefully gets rid of the myth that the two camps aren't negotiating.

Flip Empty
05-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Hmm, that sounds like a negative, really. "Pretty confident" indicates doubt.

Previously he spoke with more certainty - a deal "will get done at some point".

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 08:54 AM

You're kidding, right?

Here's another take from the media:

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/07/new-york-giants-co-owner-john-mara-confident-deal-will-get-done-with-victor-cruz/

And another

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/05/mara-pretty-confident-cruz-deal-will-get-done
(http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/07/new-york-giants-co-owner-john-mara-confident-deal-will-get-done-with-victor-cruz/)

UKAnt14
05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Don't think he would come out saying that he's confident if he wasn't 99.9% sure something will get done. A businessman doesn't want egg on his face...

TheAnalyst
05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
as long as he is playing here for the next 4-5 years, I dont care when he signs it.

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 09:03 AM
The important words to take away from what Mara said is "slow and steady." First, it acknowledges negotiations are being conducted behind closed doors and not in the media. Neither side has leaked tid-bits and, for the organization, it would seem as though John Mara is the only public voice. They do this for a living, they know when a dead end is, in fact, a dead end. None of us know what is left to negotiate but this is very positive news, like it or not.

There is no rush for this deal to get done, none.

Flip Empty
05-07-2013, 09:07 AM
You're kidding, right?

Here's another take from the media:

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/07/new-york-giants-co-owner-john-mara-confident-deal-will-get-done-with-victor-cruz/

They used the same quote - "I'm pretty confident"?

ebick
05-07-2013, 09:07 AM
You're kidding, right?

I dunno......I took the same away from it....."less" confident then before.

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 09:10 AM
They used the same quote - "I'm pretty confident"?

OK, you see it your way and I'll see it mine. How you can characterize it as "negative" is a stretch to me, but that's why we have opinions.

TCHOF
05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Don't think he would come out saying that he's confident if he wasn't 99.9% sure something will get done. A businessman doesn't want egg on his face...

Maybe he's setting it up so that if it doesn't happen, he can blame it on Cruz. In other words, I was "pretty confident" because we had made such great offers . . .. .
I'm not really sure why he would make any comment about it at all.

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Maybe he's setting it up so that if it doesn't happen, he can blame it on Cruz. In other words, I was "pretty confident" because we had made such great offers . . .. .
I'm not really sure why he would make any comment about it at all.

He was asked a question.

TCHOF
05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
He was asked a question.

Why not just say: "We continue to be in contact with Cruz's people and are working on a deal but I would rather not comment other than that"?

Actually, why is he even giving interviews on NFL AM??

Rudyy
05-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Why not just say: "We continue to be in contact with Cruz's people and are working on a deal but I would rather not comment other than that"?Actually, why is he even giving interviews on NFL AM??Because he can.

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Why not just say: "We continue to be in contact with Cruz's people and are working on a deal but I would rather not comment other than that"?

Actually, why is he even giving interviews on NFL AM??

He is the face of the FO. He needs to be honest when he talks to the media. The only way to do what you suggest is "no comment." The problem with saying that, at this point, is this; based on his and others' previous comments they painted a positive picture in terms of the outcome, the tenor of the negotiations, etc. To now say "no comment" would only fuel the already over-hyped speculation, and probably not in a good way.

Shockeystays08
05-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm not gonna read more into the comment than is there. Some will take it as a deal is coming, just have to wait. I take it as it still sounds pretty up in the air to me. If it happens great ,if not so be it. Personally, I think Cruz is a bit over rated by some on this board but most here have a pretty good handle on reality.He had a breakout year in 2011 when no one knew who he was and followed it up with another good but less spectacular year last season. It became evident he is just a solid #2 who caught a case of alligator arms and butterfingers. Murphy and JJ can pick up the slack if that's how theCruz thing pans out.It's refreshing to see most on this board realize Cruz is very good but he ain't in the express lane to Canton.

giantscolombia
05-07-2013, 10:48 AM
He says the same thing worded differently every time he comments on it. It's the media that spin it out of control bros.

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! MARA SAID: He is PRETTY CONFIDENT!!!
- Omgzzz was he uncertain before? what made him confident? is Cruz confident?

It's all media... it'll get done at some point they are in no rush. The longer they wait the bigger the chances are that the Giants get the upper hand.

BigBlue1971
05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I think Maras comments are in step with whats been going on all along!

he has an upfront seat of whats going on! i mean he always into the football stuff anyway!

im glad progress is being made!

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I think Maras comments are in step with whats been going on all along!

he has an upfront seat of whats going on! i mean he always into the football stuff anyway!

im glad progress is being made!

I think that's the message he was trying to convey.

GiantRoc
05-07-2013, 11:52 AM
He is probably bored with these questions. Yes it's his job to answer them, but at some point it seems he's just trying to find a different way to answer the same question over and over. What he says and how he says it is important. He doesn't want anything he says to cause a crap storm in the media, that would set back negotiations. Look at how some thinking being "pretty confident a deal will be reached", means the deal is falling apart. I still think the deal is there, and Cruz is hanging back to keep his off field enterprises going. I think when the real work of preparing for the season begins, there will magically be an agreement on the contract.

Toadofsteel
05-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I just saw that exchange on the rerun... Kriegel pretty much asked a leading question. Not sure how Mara could have answered that better...

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I just saw that exchange on the rerun... Kriegel pretty much asked a leading question. Not sure how Mara could have answered that better...

I think John Mara doesn't say anything to the media he doesn't mean to say.

“I’m pretty confident that we'll end up reaching a deal with (Cruz),” Mara said on the NFL Network.

“This is not that atypical a situation.

Player contracts, particularly with star players like Victor, can tend to drag on from time to time. I think we’ll get it done. This is the right place for him to play. He’s a star in this area, he’s an important part of our team, and I think we’ll eventually get a deal done, but it’s just a process that you have to go through. And we’re going through it right now. There’s communication, and it’s slow but steady, and I think at some point we’ll reach a deal.”

Source: NBC Sports

GameTime
05-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Cruz is checking the logistics/demographics for his "product name" in other markets compared to NY/NJ.
He will be a Giants and for no more then 8 mil a year

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Cruz is checking the logistics/demographics for his "product name" in other markets compared to NY/NJ.
He will be a Giants and for no more then 8 mil a year

Which, my friend, means you buy the beer AND push me around the parking lot.

GameTime
05-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Which, my friend, means you but the beer AND push me around the parking lot.
as long as you are fully clothed you have a deal.......:cool:

CowboysSuck
05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
this news is getting so old, i dont even take interest.

yawn

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 02:12 PM
as long as you are fully clothed you have a deal.......:cool:

I just bought Giants underwear after you suggested it :cool:

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 02:12 PM
this news is getting so old, i dont even take interest.

yawn

You took enough interest to post :rolleyes:

pino
05-07-2013, 02:16 PM

I'm pretty confident you are reading too much into it. I'm also pretty confident that I have no doubts about it.

See, you can use the phrase without expressing doubt.

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm pretty confident you are reading too much into it. I'm also pretty confident that I have no doubts about it.

See, you can use the phrase without expressing doubt.

Confidence is good

GameTime
05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
I just bought Giants underwear after you suggested it :cool:

good I will take your word for it. In the mean time buy some Giants pants too......

RoanokeFan
05-07-2013, 02:21 PM
good I will take your word for it. In the mean time buy some Giants pants too......

Just be glad I didn't buy the thong ensemble :p

GameTime
05-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Just be glad I didn't buy the thong ensemble :p

ouch.....just killed me with a visual....damn Ro.....

Astorian
05-07-2013, 02:30 PM
It pretty much depends on how pretty your definition of 'pretty' is. Depending on the tone of voice and accompanying gesticulations (if any) 'pretty' can mean anything from 'very' to 'sort of'. What we really need is to put Mara on a polygraph.

UKAnt14
05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
It pretty much depends on how pretty your definition of 'pretty' is. Depending on the tone of voice and accompanying gesticulations (if any) 'pretty' can mean anything from 'very' to 'sort of'. What we really need is to put Mara on a polygraph.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000167550/John-Mara-talks-Cruz-s-contract

Sounds 'pretty' assured to me :o

Joe Morrison
05-09-2013, 12:37 AM
This goes to show that it's time for football to get started, people are bored to death and losing their minds!

Broadway Blue
05-09-2013, 12:56 AM
This goes to show that it's time for football to get started, people are bored to death and losing their minds!

The season can't start soon enough!