PDA

View Full Version : Beckum's Last Chance?

krygny
12-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Honestly, I don't think Beckum has a future with the Giants. With Ballard almost certainly out, if Beckum has any chance at all, he has to have a monster game against Dallas, and maybe continue it into the playoffs. Except for one flash of brilliance in the GB game, he's done nothing this entire year. For a 3rd round pick, he's already established himself as a bonafide bust.

Time's up.

BklynBlue
12-30-2011, 08:21 AM
agree! i am really hoping Ballard is healthy enought to play. I know...wishfull thinking right now.

TheEnigma
12-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I think he's one of those cases of a player being drafted by the wrong team. He would of fit better on a team like the Packers, Saints, Chargers, etc.

Carnage929
12-30-2011, 08:46 AM
If Ballard practices today, I bet he plays.

jomo
12-30-2011, 08:49 AM
I think he's one of those cases of a player being drafted by the wrong team. He would of fit better on a team like the Packers, Saints, Chargers, etc.Dude couldn't get open against the Jets safeties, some of the weakest in the league, who cost us a game earlier this year because he didn't know where the first down markers were!

Captain Chaos
12-30-2011, 08:53 AM
He's has trouble blocking and isn't all that great catching the ball. I don't think the Giant's waste their time with him next year.

GameTime
12-30-2011, 08:53 AM
I wonder about players like Beckum...</P>

They obvioulsy are talented athletes since they at least made it to the NFL. </P>

IMO opinion its the desire and want to become what it takes to be an true NFL success. If this was not the right place for him then why not just leave and go to another team?? </P>

Does he not care enough to bea productive TE for the NYGs.....or just a productive NFL TE??</P>

</P>

NYSPORTS
12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
I think he's one of those cases of a player being drafted by the wrong team. He would of fit better on a team like the Packers, Saints, Chargers, etc.

He's got New England written all over him. Two TE's and a Beckum looks perfect to me. He only turns 25 next month.

GMENAGAIN
12-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Every time there is an injury and you think this guy will finally step up, he never does.

I'm done waiting . . . .

TrueBlue07
12-30-2011, 09:08 AM
I wonder about players like Beckum...</p>

They obvioulsy are talented athletes since they at least made it to the NFL. </p>

IMO opinion its the desire and want to become what it takes to be an true NFL success. If this was not the right place for him then why not just leave and go to another team?? </p>

Does he not care enough to bea productive TE for the NYGs.....or just a productive NFL TE??</p>

</p>

<div><span class="563460514-30122011"><font size="2">I asked myself the same Q's
about Beckum and from what I can tell, obviously not knowing the man at all, I
think for him it's his desire/ability to stay healthy. He is always hurt, and
from some of TC's comments earlier this year it sounds like the coach felt they
were injuries he could have played through. TC is not the type of guy to make
an injured player go out there. There's a difference between hurt and injured,
you can play if you're hurting. Beckum also said before the Jets game he was
hoping to make the most of his opportunity since he never has gotten that chance
before. When I read that I almost flipped my lid. He never had a chance? The
Giants letting Boss go, and the starting job being there for the taking wasn't
enough of a chance for him? Please...</font></span></div>
<div><span class="563460514-30122011"></span></div>
<div><span class="563460514-30122011"></span></div>
<div><span class="563460514-30122011"><font size="2">I say he has a ton of talent,
no desire to do the work necessary to make that potential translate in to
success in the league. Cut the guy and give someone who wants to better himself
a shot.</font></span></div>

krygny
12-30-2011, 09:59 AM

He's got New England written all over him. Two TE's and a Beckum looks perfect to me. He only turns 25 next month.
New England? I think they already have a TE. Pretty decent, from what I hear.

Joe Morrison
12-30-2011, 10:08 AM
I think he's one of those cases of a player being drafted by the wrong team. He would of fit better on a team like the Packers, Saints, Chargers, etc. He's got New England written all over him. Two TE's and a Beckum looks perfect to me. He only turns 25 next month.
New England? I think they already have a TE. Pretty decent, from what I hear.

</P>

They have two good TE's, and I don't think Beckum is really a TE anyway, he can't block.</P>

jomo
12-30-2011, 01:33 PM

He's got New England written all over him. Two TE's and a Beckum looks perfect to me. He only turns 25 next month.Bellicjek is too smart for that.

giantsfan420
12-30-2011, 01:44 PM
you know what this kind of reminds me of. Corey Webster leading up to the 2007 playoff run.

he was benched in 07, wrestled with mediocrity and plain being awful for a couple years, everyone seemed to have had enough of him (and it was fair too) and people wrote him off.

now, keep in mind I'm not saying Beckum is a bonafide all star, or even anything more than an avg player. all he's shown us is few flashes, although last year he had a couple of nice games.

one thing i can say, if this ny giants team is going to make a serious push to the post season and beyond, its players like Beckum who have to step up and play well.

Lets look at some facts about him:

He DOES have talent
He struggles with consistency
He struggles with blocking
He hasn't really carved up a niche for himself
He is still very young
He has shown some glimpses of being a special player.
He has shown the ability to be a redzone threat
He is running on borrowed time at this point

I think the things we and the giants need to keep in mind; he does possess talent, he is young, we haven't really found a way we can use him (especially in the system KG runs)

All that being said, he really needs to show he can at least be relied upon to do something, anything. Whether its a red zone target, whether its as a receiver, or that he can make this team better in some way.

I still maintain hope for the kid. I think if he was in the right system, he could be in the Finley, Hernandez mold. Its just about figuring a way to use him. If this Giants team is really going to win a super bowl this year, its players like Beckum, Barden, J-Williams, Prince, D.Scott that have to add contributions to what we already get from guys like Nicks, Cruz, Jacobs, Bradshaw, Webster, Rolle and Phillips. Our core players are very talented, we just need those supporting players to play well.
Kind of like the playoffs in 07 where Webster finally turned it on, hopefully Beckum can too...starting this Sunday night.

Confidence seemed to play a huge role in Websters improved level of play. Maybe thats the same issue Beckum has, a lack of confidence and in football, something like that can kill any chance of being productive.

MikeSherrard
12-30-2011, 01:51 PM
I just don't see it. He is not a great blocker, not really fast or quick, not a good leaper, not really tall.

What is all of this talent everyone is referring to?

He has had ample time and opportunity and he has not shown anything. End of story!

gmen0820
12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
If you're gonna rid yourself of Beckum, might as well get rid of Barden too.

Beckum has done more than Barden anyway.

MikeSherrard
12-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Barden has made a few plays here and there and to me has a least shown some flashes. Beckum has shown nothing

YATittle1962
12-30-2011, 02:10 PM
how many last chances does this guy get?

gmen0820
12-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Barden has made a few plays here and there and to me has a least shown some flashes.* Beckum has shown nothing
Beckum's 80 yard TD wasn't a flash? When has Barden shown "flashes" that Beckum hasn't?

FlyingTruck
12-30-2011, 02:15 PM
He hasn't had a chance to be on the field week in and week out...how is he supposed to build any consistency.

jakegibbs
12-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Honestly, I don't think Beckum has a future with the Giants. With Ballard almost certainly out, if Beckum has any chance at all, he has to have a monster game against Dallas, and maybe continue it into the playoffs. Except for one flash of brilliance in the GB game, he's done nothing this entire year. For a 3rd round pick, he's already established himself as a bonafide bust.

Time's up.

+1 if he ever could now is the time that he can. Opportunity is knocking Travis.....hmmmmm......

jomo
12-30-2011, 03:46 PM
how many last chances does this guy get?......several more according to some here. YA. His"support network"is approaching Matt Dodge like proportions, though nowhere near the Sinorice Moss legion.[:D]

NYG 5
12-30-2011, 04:08 PM
He's too sluggish and stiff for the finesse game, and he isn't big enough to make plays with contact.

Maybe he should be a WR

jomo
12-30-2011, 04:12 PM
He's too sluggish and stiff for the finesse game, and he isn't big enough to make plays with contact. Maybe he should be a WRNow you've hit on why he's not getting it done as a pro. He is too slow to be a WR and too small to be a TE. Bill Bellickek is merelya genius, not a miracle worker.