PDA

View Full Version : TE Brandon Myers Says He Chose NY Giants Over Nine Other Teams

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/08/tight-end-brandon-myers-says-he-chose-new-york-giants-over-nine-other-teams/

Excerpt: "Fans were shocked to see Martellus Bennett leave the New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) after one season to take a four-year deal with the Chicago Bears back in March. But New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) General Manager Jerry Reese didn't panic. Instead, he looked to the market and found a fresh, new face that is up and coming in the league.

Reese quickly landed former Oakland Raiders tight end Brandon Myers (http://www.giants101.com/tag/brandon-myers/) on a four-year deal, although only the first year is guaranteed with the team.

In Oakland, Myers had 79 catches for 806 yards and four touchdowns playing in a lackluster Raider offense and will get the chance to be an even bigger part of an explosive offense with the Giants. And on Monday, Mike Hlas of the Eastern Iowa Gazette (http://thegazette.com/2013/05/06/podcast-hlas-with-former-hawkeye-te-myers/) talked to the Giants new tight end about playing for the Big Blue, the Raiders and his college days at Iowa.

"This is actually my sixth offense in five years," Myers said. "There's new language to figure out and it's been a learning experience for me. But the coaches have been great and I will pick it all up as I go."

Myers also addressed the free agent process and why he chose the Giants over several other teams.

"It was a wild process in free agency. I wasn't considered one of the top guys who got signed the first day, so I had to sit back and wait. I had about 10 teams interested, but once I heard the Giants were involved, I jumped at the chance to sign and got a deal done quickly," he said." Read more...

Flip Empty
05-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Nice. I'd wondered how they'd managed to land him. Plenty of crappy teams could've paid him more.

Buddy333
05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Didn't Boss have something to do with him coming here?

Buddy333
05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
When Bennett left people made it like all was lost. This guy seems to be just as capable and doesn't have all the question marks. Seriously, one would have to worry about giving Bennett that big pay day.

Kruunch
05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Nice. I'd wondered how they'd managed to land him. Plenty of crappy teams could've paid him more.

I think he might have been a bit swayed by how the Martellus Bennett situation played out (getting the nice contract from Chicago after a 1 year deal).

And Boss was pimping us.

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM
When Bennett left people made it like all was lost. This guy seems to be just as capable and doesn't have all the question marks. Seriously, one would have to worry about giving Bennett that big pay day.

At the time Bennett was lost, we didn't know who his replacement was going to be. Bennett was the second most productive receiver last season after Cruz.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Everyone flipped when we didn't re-sign Bennett.

Kruunch
05-08-2013, 09:28 AM

I'm not sure why people are confusing Bennett and Graham? Do they both eat Captain Crunch cereal?

Carter.525
05-08-2013, 09:44 AM
good choice, Myers knew he wouldn't start in San Fran..

ryan12
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM

awesome sig i still get amped watching this. last night was a big w

TheAnalyst
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I knew we wouldnt resign Bennett. I knew he would want more money then we were willing to pay. Myers is a GREAT replacement. He needs to be working with Eli ASAP.

giantscolombia
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
I knew we wouldnt resign Bennett. I knew he would want more money then we were willing to pay. Myers is a GREAT replacement. He needs to be working with Eli ASAP.
I knew we were in trouble when he said he would offer a home town discount...

Toadofsteel
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
This is the way of the Giants these days. Everyone comes from far and wide to work with Mike Pope (because having that on their resume is instantly worth an extra million per year elsewhere), we work them for a year or two, and then spin them off to another team. Though I do think that whole "boss was pimping us" may be true...

TheAnalyst
05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
This is the way of the Giants these days. Everyone comes from far and wide to work with Mike Pope (because having that on their resume is instantly worth an extra million per year elsewhere), we work them for a year or two, and then spin them off to another team. Though I do think that whole "boss was pimping us" may be true...

Boss knows he should of never left.

GameTime
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Boss woudl have had the same prob if he stayed on the Giants. His biggest issue was he is/was one hard hit from riding the pine for extended periods of time. His head has been wacked too much. It happened in Oakland it would have happened in NY

Flip Empty
05-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Nah, he did what he had to do. His health being the way it was, he needed to cash in.

He really needs to retire.

Buddy333
05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
At the time Bennett was lost, we didn't know who his replacement was going to be. Bennett was the second most productive receiver last season after Cruz.Yeah because of FA and njury.

NYGabriel
05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Travis Beckum never got a fair shake.

danielboone
05-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah because of FA and njury.

The quote underestimates the importance of this position. But we might be hit by the injury bug again this year and Cruz is still not signed. So we might be in the same situation again this year. Our TE might have to step up to take on more pass responsibility. Not having a reliable TE was a big concern the moment Bennett left. That is an important position contributing both to the run and pass games.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 10:55 AM
awesome sig i still get amped watching this. last night was a big wThanks

Buddy333
05-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Cruz will sign. They signed Murphy and Randle has a year under his belt.

penguinfarmer
05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Didn't Boss have something to do with him coming here?

Boss did speak amicably of the Giants organization.

GameTime
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Travis Beckum never got a fair shake.]
he never produces when he had his chances. Also dont forget the coaches see him in practice every day...

ryan12
05-08-2013, 11:46 AM
]
he never produces when he had his chances. Also dont forget the coaches see him in practice every day...

+1

YATittle1962
05-08-2013, 11:50 AM

that dunk last night was bananas

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 11:59 AM
that dunk last night was bananasSure was! I couldn't think straight after it happened.

miked1958
05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Boss did speak amicably of the Giants organization.Yes as I remember it Myers said that Boss's input was a big influence on his deciding to come here. He told Brandon that the Giants are a great team to play and work for and he would highly recommend he come here and sign

MattMeyerBud
05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

not sure that is too true...

we had Kevin Boss signed until the Raiders sent him a ridiculous contract

We just tried to get too tricky with Ballard and it backfired

Bennett its true

but we signed Myers for a multi-year deal

MattMeyerBud
05-08-2013, 01:22 PM

if anything Boss feels better about leaving than ever... guy had one too many concussions and milked as much money as he could before he was forced to retire

TCHOF
05-08-2013, 01:22 PM
if anything Boss feels better about leaving than ever... guy had one too many concussions and milked as much money as he could before he was forced to retire

+1

Same goes for Steve Smith

MattMeyerBud
05-08-2013, 01:23 PM

he absolutely did. He was injury prone and couldn't block...

not much use for us as a TE

MattMeyerBud
05-08-2013, 01:23 PM
+1

Same goes for Steve Smith

amen

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 01:24 PM

That's not true. Travis took himself out of the running because he could never stay on the field. When he was on the field, he really was underwhelming.

MattMeyerBud
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
That's not true. Travis took himself out of the running because he could never stay on the field. When he was on the field, he really was underwhelming.

cue the guy who is going to bring up the one good play he had vs GB

(Beckum is Wilkerson pt2)

TheAnalyst
05-08-2013, 01:37 PM
]

Never?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFr4YQ9tzA

He looked so good on this play. Fast, clean catch, YAC, elusiveness... I could see the Pats using this kid and getting a bunch out of him. We NEVER use TEs to their full potential. If we had Jimmy Graham or Gronk, he would only have 50-60 catches 800 yards and like 8 TDs.

And no, obviously he isnt that good or he would show something. The potential was there though.

TheAnalyst
05-08-2013, 01:38 PM

I did.

BigBlue wins
05-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Meyers is going to be good for us, mark my words. He can block decently and has awesome hands. I was excited about this addition.

GameTime
05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Never?

He looked so good on this play. Fast, clean catch, YAC, elusiveness... I could see the Pats using this kid and getting a bunch out of him. We NEVER use TEs to their full potential. If we had Jimmy Graham or Gronk, he would only have 50-60 catches 800 yards and like 8 TDs.

And no, obviously he isnt that good or he would show something. The potential was there though.
oh stop.....you know what "never" means. If he goes to another team and flourishes I would surprised big time....

Eli TO Shockey
05-08-2013, 02:02 PM
]

I think he was joking. Beckum had every opportunity possible to get on the field and make something of his career. Especially when you consider all our injuries at TE over the years. What a failure.

Eli TO Shockey
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Jake Ballard was a stud on this team at TE. What does that say about Beckum? All the time and effort spent trying to turn Beckum into an NFL TE for 1 catch. 1 CATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eli TO Shockey
05-08-2013, 02:04 PM

To be fair, Wilk did an excellent job covering Moss downfield.

GreenZone
05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
This discussion has derailed from an article on a podcast in which you can hear Brandon himself talk at length, gettting a much better idea of the player's character, emphasis on various points, etc.

Here is the original pocast link to listen for yourself to the Giant's new tight end: http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/34341/details

Sounds like a solid kid.

gmen46
05-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Never?

You make it sound like the Pats have been a team to maximize TE more than the Giants. There's no evidence of that.

Before Hernandez and Gronkowski joined them, who was the Patriot TE(s), and how productive was that position for them? Exactly.

The same can be said for the Saints/Graham hook up. Saints strength was never attributed to their TE until a couple years ago with the addition of Graham.

Both teams altered their offense to utilize and maximize the extraordinary talents of these particular 3 players. To assume that Beckum would automatically be a better TE--all things about his last 4 years being equal, like chronic injuries, etc--by simply going to NE or NO is silly.

If anything, it is more accurate to assume that a TE who has not excelled, or maximized his potential, elsewhere (say, for example, Bennett? Ballard? Boss?) would have a better chance of utilizing his talent with the Giants/Eli/Pope.

Ballard went from a practice squad one year to a vital cog in our offensive success the next, and Bennett salvaged a downward spiraling young career by coming to the Giants. Beckem was here at the same time and did nothing. That should tell the whole story.

ImElectric2
05-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Never?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFr4YQ9tzAHe looked so good on this play. Fast, clean catch, YAC, elusiveness... I could see the Pats using this kid and getting a bunch out of him. We NEVER use TEs to their full potential. If we had Jimmy Graham or Gronk, he would only have 50-60 catches 800 yards and like 8 TDs.And no, obviously he isnt that good or he would show something. The potential was there though.Lol, let's pull up Sinorice Moss' TD next to show his production. Nobody thought that ball was going to Beckum in any circumstance. Glad it worked, glad he caught it, but that's not indicative of who he was as a player.for us on gameday. And, no, its not just cuz we didn't use him correctly.

Greatone80
05-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah but are we planning on actually keeping this guy for 4 years?Wasnt robinson supposed to be good? I hate to see us get one year guys and they leave/cut.I read somewhere that he has practiced with eli already,which i hope is true.Sign of good things hopefully.

YATittle1962
05-08-2013, 11:54 PM

never has been nor will there ever be a better avi on this forum......never

don't ever change it

njersey
05-09-2013, 12:02 AM

Interesting comment. This is Cruz in reverse!

gmen0820
05-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Interesting, he has backed up two former NYG TEs in his football days.

giant-4-life
05-09-2013, 08:29 AM
he sounds kinda humble in my opinion. Seems like he "wants to be here." Welcome..

RoanokeFan
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Interesting comment. This is Cruz in reverse!

How is that?

MattMeyerBud
05-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I did.

facepalm

MattMeyerBud
05-09-2013, 10:32 AM

I will gut you

MattMeyerBud
05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
You make it sound like the Pats have been a team to maximize TE more than the Giants. There's no evidence of that.

Before Hernandez and Gronkowski joined them, who was the Patriot TE(s), and how productive was that position for them? Exactly.

The same can be said for the Saints/Graham hook up. Saints strength was never attributed to their TE until a couple years ago with the addition of Graham.

Both teams altered their offense to utilize and maximize the extraordinary talents of these particular 3 players. To assume that Beckum would automatically be a better TE--all things about his last 4 years being equal, like chronic injuries, etc--by simply going to NE or NO is silly.

If anything, it is more accurate to assume that a TE who has not excelled, or maximized his potential, elsewhere (say, for example, Bennett? Ballard? Boss?) would have a better chance of utilizing his talent with the Giants/Eli/Pope.

Ballard went from a practice squad one year to a vital cog in our offensive success the next, and Bennett salvaged a downward spiraling young career by coming to the Giants. Beckem was here at the same time and did nothing. That should tell the whole story.

when Hernandez and Gronk are healthy they are both like 1000 and 10 guys playing tight end and got major contracts. I think its fair to say that they have maximized the tight end position to the fullest. They definitely had a change in philosophy

TCHOF
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Meyers is going to be good for us, mark my words. He can block decently and has awesome hands. I was excited about this addition.

He is a good receiver but can't block.

MattMeyerBud
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah but are we planning on actually keeping this guy for 4 years?Wasnt robinson supposed to be good? I hate to see us get one year guys and they leave/cut.I read somewhere that he has practiced with eli already,which i hope is true.Sign of good things hopefully.

if we don't want to we can cut him, Reese got him on a killer contract.

Plus hes only two years older than Robinson, we use two TE sets, hes already shown he can produce in the NFL

MattMeyerBud
05-09-2013, 10:36 AM
He is a good receiver but can't block.

I could of sworn that was the scouting report on him too.. but apparently we are both wrong

infact he was known for blocking and not being that good of a receiver.

They say his blocking performance last year wasn't up to par because of his injuries he was playing through. I dunno

gmen46
05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
when Hernandez and Gronk are healthy they are both like 1000 and 10 guys playing tight end and got major contracts. I think its fair to say that they have maximized the tight end position to the fullest. They definitely had a change in philosophy

Yes, they had a change in philosophy--to utilize the extraordinary talents of Gronk and Hernandez, not because they arbitrarily decided that a TE-oriented pass offense by itself was the way to go.

I was responding to the implication made by the poster that the Pats were by definition a team more conducive to better utilizing Beckum (in particular) as a TE than are the Giants. That's not accurate. The Pats are a better TE-oriented offense today only because they have the 2 TEs they have, not because they "naturally" use the TE position better than the Giants. Evidence of my opinion on this is that before Gronk and Hernandez, the Pats were not known for their TEs, certainly not any more so than the Giants have been for the last 6-7 years.

BuffyBlueII
05-09-2013, 03:54 PM
double post

BuffyBlueII
05-09-2013, 04:00 PM
When Bennett left people made it like all was lost. This guy seems to be just as capable and doesn't have all the question marks. Seriously, one would have to worry about giving Bennett that big pay day. Brandon Myers is an upgrade from Martellus Bennett.

TCHOF
05-09-2013, 05:58 PM
I could of sworn that was the scouting report on him too.. but apparently we are both wrong

infact he was known for blocking and not being that good of a receiver.

They say his blocking performance last year wasn't up to par because of his injuries he was playing through. I dunno

Happy to be wrong on that one. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Kruunch
05-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Yes, they had a change in philosophy--to utilize the extraordinary talents of Gronk and Hernandez, not because they arbitrarily decided that a TE-oriented pass offense by itself was the way to go.

I was responding to the implication made by the poster that the Pats were by definition a team more conducive to better utilizing Beckum (in particular) as a TE than are the Giants. That's not accurate. The Pats are a better TE-oriented offense today only because they have the 2 TEs they have, not because they "naturally" use the TE position better than the Giants. Evidence of my opinion on this is that before Gronk and Hernandez, the Pats were not known for their TEs, certainly not any more so than the Giants have been for the last 6-7 years.

That and the fact that the Pats lost their deep threat receiver and haven't seemed able to replace him.

I'd also argue that Brady has a much better short game than Eli does (but that might just be scheme too).

BigJ
05-10-2013, 12:26 AM
I really feel Myers is goin to Shine on this team with the way we make guys like Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard look. He has more talent then both of them amd Eli Manning and Pope are gonna make him a really good TE for the Giants. Welcome to Ney Jersey

giantsfan420
05-10-2013, 12:51 AM

I was responding to the implication made by the poster that the Pats were by definition a team more conducive to better utilizing Beckum (in particular) as a TE than are the Giants. That's not accurate. The Pats are a better TE-oriented offense today only because they have the 2 TEs they have, not because they "naturally" use the TE position better than the Giants. Evidence of my opinion on this is that before Gronk and Hernandez, the Pats were not known for their TEs, certainly not any more so than the Giants have been for the last 6-7 years.not necessarily correct. NE had placed an emphasis on the mismatch athletic TE's provided. When NE was the offensive juggernaut breaking all the record, NE used Ben Watson a ton. i'd argue he was as pivotal as guys like Moss and Welker ended up becoming.
This was before the V.Davis's started becoming more prevalent as well.

NE is all about mismatches and the TE provided that going back before Gronks and Hernandez

edit: that said, I agree with everything else in ur post

gmen46
05-10-2013, 05:50 AM
not necessarily correct. NE had placed an emphasis on the mismatch athletic TE's provided. When NE was the offensive juggernaut breaking all the record, NE used Ben Watson a ton. i'd argue he was as pivotal as guys like Moss and Welker ended up becoming.
This was before the V.Davis's started becoming more prevalent as well.

NE is all about mismatches and the TE provided that going back before Gronks and Hernandez

edit: that said, I agree with everything else in ur post

Well, my point was that before NE picked up Hernandez and Gronkowski, their use of the TE was average-to-below-average in relation to the league. Your use of Ben Watson is a perfect example. Personally, I always thought NE under utilized Watson so when you referred to him I looked up his stats just to get a handle on how often he was used.

In his 5 years as a starter or rotation player with NE (he had 2 receptions in only 1 game his rookie year, so I excluded that year), Watson averaged 33 catches, just over 400 yards, and 4 TDs per season. Those are less than Boss, Ballard, and Bennett with the Giants.

When a poster in this thread claimed that if Beckum went to the Patriots he would automatically succeed there, whereas he did not with the Giants, I challenged that claim with my previous remarks about NE's adjustment to the talents of the current TE duo being the sole reason why NE is now so effective with their TEs. and that--given the performances of Boss, Ballard, Bennett with the Giants--the reason Beckum disappointed has nothing to do with the Giants under utilizing the TE. He could not stay on the field and did little when he was on the field, that's why he failed here. Nothing controversial about that statement, I should think.