PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Owner John Mara Likes Ryan Nassib Pick Very Much

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22212619/giants-owner-john-mara-likes-ryan-nassib-pick-very-much

Excerpt: "Since the Giants (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/NYG/new-york-giants) selected former Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib in the fourth round (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22152019/nfl-draft-new-york-giants-draft-ryan-nassib-in-4th-round-110-pick) of last month's NFL Draft (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft), opinions have varied about the intelligence of that pick. Some thought it was a strange move (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22152294/in-jerry-reese-we-trust-butnassib) with franchise QB Eli Manning (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493004/eli-manning) still on the team. Some -- like the Giants, I imagine -- think it was a great move to trade up and grab Nassib.

This quote from general manager Jerry Reese afterward didn't make things any clearer: "Yeah, if he doesn't ever play, that would be great."(Obviously, I get what he meant, but still, it's sort of a strange thing to say.)

Well, let the confusion end. Giants owner John Mara has spoken, and he likes the draft pick very much.

“We came into the third day of the draft, and he's sitting on top of our board -- by far and away the best player we had left,” Mara told the NFL Network (via PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/john-mara-giants-were-shocked-ryan-nassib-lasted-to-day-3/)). “I talked to Jerry and Tom Coughlin about it and we agreed that you have to respect your board. Your scouts and your personnel people put so much time putting that together. If you just continue to take the highest player on your board, in the long run you're going to be better off as an organization.

”Remember, some draft analysts had Nassib slotted for the first round." Read more...

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM
“We came into the third day of the draft, and he's sitting on top of our board -- by far and away the best player we had left,” Mara told the NFL Network (via PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/john-mara-giants-were-shocked-ryan-nassib-lasted-to-day-3/)). “I talked to Jerry and Tom Coughlin about it and we agreed that you have to respect your board. Your scouts and your personnel people put so much time putting that together. If you just continue to take the highest player on your board, in the long run you're going to be better off as an organization."

sigh...

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 01:11 PM
“We came into the third day of the draft, and he's sitting on top of our board -- by far and away the best player we had left,” Mara told the NFL Network (via PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/john-mara-giants-were-shocked-ryan-nassib-lasted-to-day-3/)). “I talked to Jerry and Tom Coughlin about it and we agreed that you have to respect your board. Your scouts and your personnel people put so much time putting that together. If you just continue to take the highest player on your board, in the long run you're going to be better off as an organization."

sigh...

You don't like the pick?

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 01:16 PM
You don't like the pick?I'm indifferent about it.

I don't know, I just find it hard to believe that he was the best player left...
But that is just my opinion, and frankly, the Giants felt as if he was the best according to their boards. I don't hate the pick at all, I hope he turns into a great player.

TCHOF
05-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm indifferent about it.

I don't know, I just find it hard to believe that he was the best player left...
But that is just my opinion, and frankly, the Giants felt as if he was the best according to their boards. I don't hate the pick at all, I hope he turns into a great player.

What players who were left do you think were better?

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 01:22 PM

I think it was good to see them considering life after Eli and no, I don't see that happening any time soon. But if we have a chance to have Eli mentor his eventual replacement, whoever that turns out to be, we should see a smoother transition when the time comes. I just don't see Carr or Painter as a lifeline if Eli ever gets hurt enough to miss games.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 01:23 PM
What players who were left do you think were better?I really really think I answered this on draft day..

And it honestly doesn't matter who I say because it won't change a thing.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I think it was good to see them considering life after Eli and no, I don't see that happening any time soon. But if we have a chance to have Eli mentor his eventual replacement, whoever that turns out to be, we should see a smoother transition when the time comes. I just don't see Carr or Painter as a lifeline if Eli ever gets hurt enough to miss games.I agree. I don't think he and Eli will be competing or any of that.

He will be battling in camp with David Carr which I am all for. If Eli goes down, that will be a dark dark day.

Carter.525
05-08-2013, 01:29 PM
What players who were left do you think were better?

Can't say who's better because they play diffrent positions.. but Khaseem Greene was a bigger need

TheEnigma
05-08-2013, 01:29 PM

I know what you are thinking Rudy but in this case, I would say they probably did value Nassib more than others because of his intangibles and ability to grasp a playbook. Now whether this draft pick will ever amount to anything more than just stronger insurance vs Carr/Painter is up for debate and in a TBD status but he certainly was decent value in the 4th. There does seem to be a bit of fluff when the Giants FO talk about their recent draft selections but every team seems to be guilty of these things. Everyone is the BPA when they grab a player or the "JPP of X position". I find it hard to believe every GM is happy with their draft and they think every player is going to contribute as much as they sell them to their fans. It's just the business.

TCHOF
05-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I really really think I answered this on draft day..

And it honestly doesn't matter who I say because it won't change a thing.

So you create a post saying that it's hard to believe that he was the best player left, but you won't say what better players were available? Ok then.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 01:33 PM
So you create a post saying that it's hard to believe that he was the best player left, but you won't say what better players were available? Ok then.Because I told you several times on draft day when you asked myself and several other posters.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I know what you are thinking Rudy but in this case, I would say they probably did value Nassib more than others because of his intangibles and ability to grasp a playbook. Now whether this draft pick will ever amount to anything more than just stronger insurance vs Carr/Painter is up for debate and in a TBD status but he certainly was decent value in the 4th. There does seem to be a bit of fluff when the Giants FO talk about their recent draft selections but every team seems to be guilty of these things. Everyone is the BPA when they grab a player or the "JPP of X position". I find it hard to believe every GM is happy with their draft and they think every player is going to contribute as much as they sell them to their fans. It's just the business.I guess that is where I'm stuck at.

He was a steal in the 4th, but when I look at our team...I'm like well geez...we don't need another QB..we need corners and linebackers yadda yadda. But the fact of the matter is we need to have a reliable back up. That I can get on board with.

TheAnalyst
05-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Pugh was their top guy left too at 19.... I was very confused with that. Maybe top OL left, but not top overall player.

Nassib pick, I was confused with. Not because we drafted a QB, but because we moved up and drafted a QB. Normally you dont move up to get a backup. You move up if you can get a starter. Only time will tell if it was a wise move. I dont hate it, but I see it more of a "Trade him after a year or 2" type pickup after a QB starved team is willing to send us a 1st or 2nd rounder for him.

I do think Nassib can be a good QB in this league though. One of the better QBs in that class.

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 01:43 PM
I agree. I don't think he and Eli will be competing or any of that.

He will be battling in camp with David Carr which I am all for. If Eli goes down, that will be a dark dark day.

I am hoping Nassib proves to be more than a "holder of the clipboard."

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Pugh was their top guy left too at 19.... I was very confused with that. Maybe top OL left, but not top overall player.

Nassib pick, I was confused with. Not because we drafted a QB, but because we moved up and drafted a QB. Normally you dont move up to get a backup. You move up if you can get a starter. Only time will tell if it was a wise move. I dont hate it, but I see it more of a "Trade him after a year or 2" type pickup after a QB starved team is willing to send us a 1st or 2nd rounder for him.

I do think Nassib can be a good QB in this league though. One of the better QBs in that class.

If you think back a month or so, John Mara said they needed to improve in the trenches. Clearly, he was not just passing the time of day when he said that. Now we need to see how much improvement we've brought in.

TheEnigma
05-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I guess that is where I'm stuck at.

He was a steal in the 4th, but when I look at our team...I'm like well geez...we don't need another QB..we need corners and linebackers yadda yadda. But the fact of the matter is we need to have a reliable back up. That I can get on board with.

I'd debate the whole steal point of view because I'd say Nassib was grossly overvalued due to the whole Buffalo/Marrone connection that draft experts were playing up. You kind of want more out of a 1st/2nd round QB in terms of physical traits than what Nassib offers and I'm sure that played a part in his drop to the mid 4th area. It's really hard to grade QBs and especially in this draft because it was a weak class. You wonder where Nassib would have went in the 2012 class or even next years.

TheAnalyst
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
If you think back a month or so, John Mara said they needed to improve in the trenches. Clearly, he was not just passing the time of day when he said that. Now we need to see how much improvement we've brought in.

We certainly did need to improve in the trenches, but we also needed to improve our secondary and LB play. I love the Big Hank and DeMontre Moore picks. As a Cuse fan, I didnt really see how Pugh could be thought of as a 1st rounder though. Just my opinion. giants know whats good for the team. Hope it pans out.

TheAnalyst
05-08-2013, 01:53 PM
I guess that is where I'm stuck at.

He was not a steal in the 4th. That is about where he should of gone. Even Coughlin said so. He has a lot to work on, but does have the potential to be a good QB in the league. He can throw darts in bad weather, he can scramble to buy time in the pocket, he is accurate on short to medium passes. His deep ball needs work, his progressions need work, his footwork needs work. Good 4th round pick for a backup behind Eli to start off his career.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
He was not a steal in the 4th. That is about where he should of gone. Even Coughlin said so. He has a lot to work on, but does have the potential to be a good QB in the league. He can throw darts in bad weather, he can scramble to buy time in the pocket, he is accurate on short to medium passes. His deep ball needs work, his progressions need work, his footwork needs work. Good 4th round pick for a backup behind Eli to start off his career.To them it was a steal..didn't they say they were shocked when he was still their in the 3rd?

Roosevelt
05-08-2013, 02:00 PM

You need to do a discount double check when thinking about this pick.

The Giants believe they got someone special. If the kid proves it on the field we'll all be happy.

If he never sees the field as a Giant, then all is still well since we have Eli.

Of course the wildcard is what happens with Eli's next contract and how will this player affect it?

TheEnigma
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
To them it was a steal..didn't they say they were shocked when he was still their in the 3rd?

They probably expected the QB run to happen in the 2nd or even early 3rd as opposed to the 4th when it began with the Matt Barkley selection. You did have Manuel and Geno go in the early rounds but that's probably because they were drafted higher based on upside. Depends on what they see as a steal though because it seems like every draft pick is one these days haha.

Rudyy

The Giants believe they got someone special. If the kid proves it on the field we'll all be happy.

If he never sees the field as a Giant, then all is still well since we have Eli.

Of course the wildcard is what happens with Eli's next contract and how will this player affect it?Yes, I addressed that in my statement.

The Giants believe that he was going to be a value to the team. I'm still coming around to it, but I know that we do need a backup and in any case if Eli goes down, we need someone there other than Carr.

At the time, I was looking for starters..not backups..that is why I was caught off guard.

RoanokeFan
We certainly did need to improve in the trenches, but we also needed to improve our secondary and LB play. I love the Big Hank and DeMontre Moore picks. As a Cuse fan, I didnt really see how Pugh could be thought of as a 1st rounder though. Just my opinion. giants know whats good for the team. Hope it pans out.

You can only get so much done in one off-season. With the amount of attention they gave the trenches in both FA (so far) and the draft, and assuming there is identifiable improvement, it will take some of the pressure off the linebackers and secondary.

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Yes, I addressed that in my statement.

The Giants believe that he was going to be a value to the team. I'm still coming around to it, but I know that we do need a backup and in any case if Eli goes down, we need someone there other than Carr.

At the time, I was looking for starters..not backups..that is why I was caught off guard.

That explains it, he's a QB :p

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 02:31 PM
That explains it, he's a QB :pI CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW..THE RAINNNN IT GONEEEE!!

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW..THE RAINNNN IT GONEEEE!!

LOL

Buddy333
05-08-2013, 02:52 PM
The truth is the odds are in favor of it being a BAD thing if tis guy ever plays for the Giants. If he plays anytime soon that means injury. If he is here long enough to take over for Eli when he retires one would have to wonder if sitting on the bench for so long would hold him back.

JB456
05-08-2013, 04:17 PM

I don't think you are confued at all, you answered your own question. Pugh was the top OL player left on the Giants board. The Giants wanted OL in round 1 and thats what they drafted.

I don't think anyone believes that the Giants thought that Pugh was the best player available at any position at 19. The Giants wanted to shore up their OL and protect their aging Franchise QB. I can't really say I blame them, half this board, myself included, were screaming for a better OL. Perhaps they thought they had a good chance at a better prospect until the run of OL happened.

mercurio
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM
We need a good #2 QB. Eli is too comfortable with Carr. If Nassib can polish his skills, he can keep Eli on his game.

giantscolombia
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Of course the wildcard is what happens with Eli's next contract and how will this player affect it?

This!

Are we really going to resign Eli after his contract is up?

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 05:20 PM
This!

That will depend on how well he's playing through 2014 but I am guessing he will get an extension if he wants one.

joemorrisforprez
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
This!

That's going to be a Mara/Tisch call....thank God.

B&RWarrior
05-08-2013, 06:15 PM
You can only get so much done in one off-season. With the amount of attention they gave the trenches in both FA (so far) and the draft, and assuming there is identifiable improvement, it will take some of the pressure off the linebackers and secondary.

Great minds think alike. We weren't going to fix all the holes we have in one off-season, but we addressed the biggest thing that concerned TC last year which was the Line on both sides of the ball. We got stronger and we got meaner. I think next off-season secondary will be the first concern then LB.

StrahanSoup92
05-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Great minds think alike. We weren't going to fix all the holes we have in one off-season, but we addressed the biggest thing that concerned TC last year which was the Line on both sides of the ball. We got stronger and we got meaner. I think next off-season secondary will be the first concern then LB.

Fans were concerned that the Giants had too many holes in 2007 and 2011 also. This is still a very talented football team. While I agree with most, the secondary is weak, and the linebackers, on paper, are scary to think about. But with a successful DLine and a good balanced offense, not to mention a fairly easy schedule, the Giants will be just fine.

TCHOF
05-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Because I told you several times on draft day when you asked myself and several other posters.

I think you have me mixed up with another poster.

Harooni
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
steal of the draft and mariah and tush know it.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I think you have me mixed up with another poster.No, it was you.

Broadway Blue
05-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Better then the Jets draft pick at QB any day

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 07:20 PM
That's going to be a Mara/Tisch call....thank God.

In consultation with Arcorsi and Harooni I'm sure :rolleyes:

TCHOF
05-08-2013, 07:34 PM
No, it was you.
I believe that I asked that question of the posters who were trashing the Pugh pick, not in connection with the Nassib pick.

I'm not sure why it is so offensive to ask someone who disapproves of a pick who they would have chosen instead . . . . in any event, you are certainly free to keep that information a secret.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
I believe that I asked that question of the posters who were trashing the Pugh pick, not in connection with the Nassib pick.I'm not sure why it is so offensive to ask someone who disapproves of a pick who they would have chosen instead . . . . in any event, you are certainly free to keep that information a secret.I never said it was offensive lol.

giant-4-life
05-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Well one thing is for certain.. Nassib was a good pick from a couple angles i see; Either to bring a young fresh QB and some depth to the team or.. trade bait.

some have stated he has a strong arm but isn't good at long throws.. ok, might be true. But Eli on the other hand, despite his 2 SB's, his arm sure gets tired. maybe Nassib needs to show Eli a good arm training regiment