PDA

View Full Version : If Tuck and JPP play real well in 2013, the D will be OK

Tommy_Ribs
05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I know this will over-simplify, but if Tuck and JPP can consistently win their one-on-one matchups, as we have seen them do in the past, I think the defense will be OK.

If those two guys can be our main generators of pressure, it is going to take the heat off of our LB group, and our secondary.

I am still worried a little about our run defense, particularly at MLB, but I think our Tackle rotation will help greatly in that spot.

Last year there were very few times when those guys were winning one-on-one, and that has to change this year. I think JPP bounces back, I am worried Tuck may be starting to break down.

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 02:56 PM
I know this will over-simplify, but if Tuck and JPP can consistently win their one-on-one matchups, as we have seen them do in the past, I think the defense will be OK.

If those two guys can be our main generators of pressure, it is going to take the heat off of our LB group, and our secondary.

I am still worried a little about our run defense, particularly at MLB, but I think our Tackle rotation will help greatly in that spot.

Last year there were very few times when those guys were winning one-on-one, and that has to change this year. I think JPP bounces back, I am worried Tuck may be starting to break down.

I think this a concern for many of us. As you suggest, the focus on the interior DLine should provide a huge improvement.

Buddy333
05-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Huge Tuck fan, but he has not had it in two years with the exception of the post season. Now JPP is a great talent but hope he isn't reading his own press clippings. Last year he was alone out there but also worried if anyone saw his sack dance. Tuck says he is ready to get back so we shall see. JPP needs to stay focused. Then the new additions need to pan out. Reese has done a good job of trying to fix their problems this offseason.

B&RWarrior
05-08-2013, 03:02 PM
My only worry is that we are razor thin at LB and looking at J-Will, Rivers, and Connors as starters that we are counting on, though none of them has had much success in avoiding injury.

NWGiant
05-08-2013, 03:06 PM
How about modify that to JPP playing the same and some of the other dline winning their 1v1 matchups? If no one else is winning their matchup consistently then opposing offenses can be free to double and triple team JPP all game long.

TCHOF
05-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I agree, except that my worry is that Tuck hasn't played real well for a whole season in a long time.

Kruunch
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
... I am worried Tuck may be starting to break down.

I think he's past "starting to". I only hope he has a brief resurgence (that last gasp before totally dying) this year.

DT2012
05-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Tuck is in a contract year so his play this year determines if he even gets offers after this year. If tuck has another dismal season like the last two the Giants won't be bringing him back and I doubt any other team will either unless he takes a lot less money. Tuck has to play very well this year

Sovereign
05-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Yeah it kinda is oversimplifying because Tuck and JPP, even at their best can't entirely make up for our incredibly thin and porous back seven.

Broadway Blue
05-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Hoping Tuck has something to prove since this is his last year

Flip Empty
05-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Tuck is in a contract year so his play this year determines if he even gets offers after this year. If tuck has another dismal season like the last two the Giants won't be bringing him back and I doubt any other team will either unless he takes a lot less money. Tuck has to play very well this year
I really don't think he wants to be brought back. He wanted to retire in 2011, remember?

giantsfan420
05-09-2013, 02:24 AM
How about modify that to JPP playing the same and some of the other dline winning their 1v1 matchups? If no one else is winning their matchup consistently then opposing offenses can be free to double and triple team JPP all game long.this. opposing teams werent dumb enough to single up on JPP aside from the rare play here and there. The problem was, outside of JPP, no one was winning their matchups. Thats Osi and Tuck really.
I think Kiwi helps out more than anyone here realizes, which will help Tuck in turn to stay fresher. I'd actually almost Kiwi start (depending on quickly he can reclaim that DE mentality) with Tuck rotating in for both JPP and Kiwi and the DT on 3rd downs. I think we'd get the most production from him that way even tho his snaps would be cut

Rat_bastich
05-09-2013, 02:37 AM
I think we'll see major improvement on the d-line since a lot of resources were spent on it this offseason. The rotation will definitely help the interior and Kiwi coming back to the outside, along with Moore, should really rejuvenate the pass rush. They'll need the defensive back field to hold up their end of the bargain though because the d-line's success goes hand in hand with the backfield maintaining coverage.

Captain Chaos
05-09-2013, 07:00 AM
I think the weak interior was not only a big problem for the LBs but also for the DEs, If they can take some of the double teams away from the JPP, Tuck and company then they will have a real nice year!

DINO FLORIDA
05-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Tuck is used up. On top of that, he is overrated. He had that one combined year (back half of 2007 and first half of 2008) where he was good. Beyond that, he has either been inconsistent, or consistently unproductive. Little pass rush speed, decent run defender at times, but far from a star. Osi, for all the bashing he took last year, still has way more game than Tuck. JT hasn't been any good since the Flozell Adams cheap shot.