PDA

View Full Version : Debate Time: Best NFC East WR Tandems

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 03:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/51218/debate-time-best-nfc-east-wr-tandems

Excerpt: "This came up in the chat Tuesday, and I figured it was worth a post in which you guys could bat it around and argue with each other: Who's got the best wide receivers in the NFC East at the moment? There is a poll over here in which you can vote on which team has the best starting duo.

We did this a couple of years ago, I remember, and I picked the Giants' guys over the Eagles' guys and got some heat for it. I think at the time I was still projecting Steve Smith (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10495/steve-smith) as the No. 2 in New York behindHakeem Nicks (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12586/hakeem-nicks). So while I think the past two years have supported my pick, I admit I didn't see Victor Cruz (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13553/victor-cruz) factoring into this debate to the extent that he has.

At this point, with Jackson and Maclin having failed to live up to those 2011 expectations, I think the Cowboys' tandem is the Giants' chief competition. The way Dez Bryant (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13215/dez-bryant) came on last year makes you think he might be about to live up to his incredible potential and become one of the dominant receivers in the league. This would make Miles Austin (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10147/miles-austin)as good a No. 2 receiver as there is anywhere in the league, except in East Rutherford, where Cruz is a ridiculously productive No. 2 when Nicks is healthy. " Read more...

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Ours, hands down.

Kruunch
05-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Nicks / Cruz without a doubt.

In fact the only other tandems that I would remotely consider:

Julio Jones / Roddy White (ATL)

Thomas / Welker (Broncos)

NWGiant
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I would agree with the author that this is a closer debate due to the health concerns of Nicks. The only thing keeping this a real debate is the fact that Dez is a headcase.

NYGfanSTRICK
05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
When Nicks is 100% I think we have the best WR duo in the league. I think Julio and White are very close actually just because Julio Jones is a straight nutjob and White is a very solid WR. Thomas and Welker could be interesting to see this year as well.

If Megatron could someone pretty sick next to him it wouldn't even be fair haha.

Kruunch
05-08-2013, 03:21 PM
If Megatron could someone pretty sick next to him it wouldn't even be fair haha.

Yeah I'm amazed the Lions (and the Cards with Fitz) haven't dedicated themselves to finding an opposite threat. Imagine Megatron and Welker on the same team. It wouldn't even be fair.

B&RWarrior
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams are better with a lesser quarterback. I know they aren't in the NFC EAST, but I think we should extend this conversation to the entire league. Cruz and Nicks are that good. I say we are better than Welker and Thomas with less of a QB, but not as good as Julio and White because I think White is better than Cruz and Jones is on par with a health Nicks, but he seems to be getting better.

Rudyy
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I just want Nicks to stay healthy http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/crying-oklahoma-state-player-sports-crying-gifs.gif

RoanokeFan
05-08-2013, 04:13 PM
When Nicks is 100% I think we have the best WR duo in the league. I think Julio and White are very close actually just because Julio Jones is a straight nutjob and White is a very solid WR. Thomas and Welker could be interesting to see this year as well.

+1

Broadway Blue
05-08-2013, 05:09 PM

If only Matt Ryan can get his team to the big game...

Flip Empty
05-08-2013, 09:24 PM
If we're talking the entire NFL, I'm going

White/Jones
Nicks/Cruz
Thomas/Decker
Jackson/Williams
Bryant/Austin

Yeah I'm amazed the Lions (and the Cards with Fitz) haven't dedicated themselves to finding an opposite threat. Imagine Megatron and Welker on the same team. It wouldn't even be fair.

They've been trying to - Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were both 2nd-round draft picks. Only problem is Broyles got hurt and Young turned out to be a complete dip****.

FIFTY6G-MAN
05-08-2013, 10:16 PM
If only Matt Ryan can get his team to the big game...we dont want that since we would not be in it then. TRUE?

Broadway Blue
05-08-2013, 10:42 PM
we dont want that since we would not be in it then. TRUE?

Exactly

Just trying to say even though the Falcons have great receivers they would never go to the Super Bowl since they have choke artist Matt Ryan

jomo
05-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Not even close..................

bearbryant
05-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Jeez!!! Yes, Bryant had an exceptional year. He really showed his stuff but Austin... Man o man, he stunk it up last season. He looked better as a rookie!~ I'll take a healthy Cruz and Nicks anyday over those two MoMos!

Broadway Blue
05-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Jeez!!! Yes, Bryant had an exceptional year. He really showed his stuff but Austin... Man o man, he stunk it up last season. He looked better as a rookie!~ I'll take a healthy Cruz and Nicks anyday over those two MoMos!

+1

Ntegrase96
05-08-2013, 11:48 PM

I don't disagree with the overall selection. At this point a healthy Cruz--Nicks tandem has proven to be lethal.

But Austin didn't have a bad year last year... about 950 yards and 6 TDs. Solid production for a number 2. And he himself wasn't really all that healthy. I mean, he played-- just wasn't 100%.

Which brings me to my next point (unrelated to your post). This article can't knock Nicks for not staying healthy without mentioning Austin as well. He has had hamstring issues the last 2 years, and even before his breakout season he had some issues also, causing him to break out later among other things.

At any rate, the article is pretty spot on. Dez Bryant has made this a much closer conversation.

Ntegrase96
05-08-2013, 11:50 PM
I would agree with the author that this is a closer debate due to the health concerns of Nicks. The only thing keeping this a real debate is the fact that Dez is a headcase.

Disagree. Austin also has his injury issues that make it a tough comparison as well. And Dez being a headcase is just... overblown.

Sovereign
05-09-2013, 12:18 AM
But Austin didn't have a bad year last year... about 950 yards and 6 TDs. Solid production for a number 2. And he himself wasn't really all that healthy. I mean, he played-- just wasn't 100%.

Which brings me to my next point (unrelated to your post). This article can't knock Nicks for not staying healthy without mentioning Austin as well. He has had hamstring issues the last 2 years, and even before his breakout season he had some issues also, causing him to break out later among other things.

True you have to acknowledge Austin's problems but Nicks hasn't played 16 games yet in an entire year. They both aren't iron horses but Nicks has been more prone. Regardless a healthy Nicks and Cruz trumps a healthy Austin and Dez any day.

Ntegrase96
05-09-2013, 12:29 AM
True you have to acknowledge Austin's problems but Nicks hasn't played 16 games yet in an entire year. They both aren't iron horses but Nicks has been more prone. Regardless a healthy Nicks and Cruz trumps a healthy Austin and Dez any day.

I think you get more versatility with Nicks and Cruz as they seemingly have two very defined roles that compliment each other well and I think that's what's the real factor.

ashleymarie
05-09-2013, 12:47 AM
I remember the game where Bryant caught a td, which wasn't a td because his hand was on the line. That little mishap saved our bacon that day. Bryant was careless and somewhat not professional in his job. He has since improved and is always a threat, like a snake in the grass. No Offense. In the long haul I believe Nicks/Cruz edges him out. But not by much.

Toadofsteel
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
I think Bryant/Austin is the more talented tandem. The problem is they don't have the best QB in the division (and 3rd or possibly even 2nd best in the conference) throwing them the ball...

Kruunch
05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams are better with a lesser quarterback. I know they aren't in the NFC EAST, but I think we should extend this conversation to the entire league. Cruz and Nicks are that good. I say we are better than Welker and Thomas with less of a QB, but not as good as Julio and White because I think White is better than Cruz and Jones is on par with a health Nicks, but he seems to be getting better.

Mike Williams isn't near consistent enough to be put in that conversation imo.

WR4Life
05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
If we're talking the entire NFL, I'm going

They've been trying to - Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were both 2nd-round draft picks. Only problem is Broyles got hurt and Young turned out to be a complete dip****.

Arizona as well. They drafted Michael Floyd from Notre Dame last year. Nobody is going to prove to be a good second WR if they don't fix their QB play though. Even Fitz didn't have the best year last year. You know your QB/QB's suck when Fitz has less than 800 yards and only 4 TDs and played every game last year. He's a top 2-3 receiver in the league who catches EVERYTHING. Imagine the numbers he would put up here.

FBomb
05-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I can't believe this is even up for discussion.

There's the Giants......and then there's everyone else.

ryan12
05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Nicks / Cruz without a doubt.

In fact the only other tandems that I would remotely consider:

Julio Jones / Roddy White (ATL)

Thomas / Welker (Broncos)

agreed

B&RWarrior
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Mike Williams isn't near consistent enough to be put in that conversation imo.

It's hard to argue with his production last year. He has been inconsistent over his career.

Flip Empty
05-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Arizona as well. They drafted Michael Floyd from Notre Dame last year. Nobody is going to prove to be a good second WR if they don't fix their QB play though. Even Fitz didn't have the best year last year. You know your QB/QB's suck when Fitz has less than 800 yards and only 4 TDs and played every game last year. He's a top 2-3 receiver in the league who catches EVERYTHING. Imagine the numbers he would put up here.
Definitely.

It's sad when Carson Palmer is an improvement over what you had before, but that's exactly how it is for Arizona. His love of throwing into coverage aside, Palmer represents a massive step up from last year and, provided the o-line holds up, should be able to get Fitzgerald up and running again.

BigBlue1971
05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
to be honest Nicks/Cruz - White/Jones are about even imo and that's with Nicks hampered much of the season. otherwise it wouldn't even be close!

everyone can claim injuries but Nicks in and out the lineup produced not even 50% of what he should be doing!

Jackson/Williams - Austin/Bryant are a little further back imo!

Ntegrase96
05-09-2013, 11:50 AM
to be honest Nicks/Cruz - White/Jones are about even imo and that's with Nicks hampered much of the season. otherwise it wouldn't even be close!

everyone can claim injuries but Nicks in and out the lineup produced not even 50% of what he should be doing!

Jackson/Williams - Austin/Bryant are a little further back imo!

In my opinion White/Jones are ahead. Roddy White is a legitimate number 1 receiver... top 10 kind of guy. And Julio Jones is probably the 2nd most gifted WR in the league. He's basically a faster, taller Dez Bryant.

Ntegrase96
05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I think Bryant/Austin is the more talented tandem. The problem is they don't have the best QB in the division (and 3rd or possibly even 2nd best in the conference) throwing them the ball...

Dunno about that. Bryant is the most talented of the 4, but Austin is pretty much just a student of the game with a couple of ideal physical attributes. I would take Cruz' it factor over Austin, and obviously Nicks is more talented.

Kruunch
05-09-2013, 11:57 AM
It's hard to argue with his production last year. He has been inconsistent over his career.

Exactly ... let him do it again and I'd agree in 2014.

Kruunch
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
In my opinion White/Jones are ahead. Roddy White is a legitimate number 1 receiver... top 10 kind of guy. And Julio Jones is probably the 2nd most gifted WR in the league. He's basically a faster, taller Dez Bryant.

Definitely within the same realm as a healthy Nicks/Cruz. I'd say in 2011, Nicks/Cruz got the better end of that deal, while in 2012 it was White/Jones (with the caveat that Nicks was hurt all year).

Be interesting to see if all mentioned are healthy this year.

WR4Life
05-09-2013, 12:50 PM
When healthy Nicks is on, he is hard to beat. See 2011 playoffs. He simply took over those games much the way Larry took over in 2008 until they lost the Superbowl. Even then he had a good game.

B&RWarrior
05-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Definitely within the same realm as a healthy Nicks/Cruz. I'd say in 2011, Nicks/Cruz got the better end of that deal, while in 2012 it was White/Jones (with the caveat that Nicks was hurt all year).

Be interesting to see if all mentioned are healthy this year.

Yeah, but Julio is still learning how to be an NFL WR. He could easily be a number one on any team. When healthy I like Nicks over White, but I think Jones is better than Cruz and the gap will only get larger.

It's a close call either way you go.

BigBlue1971
05-09-2013, 01:12 PM

if they are ahead its only slightly imo! again even with Nicks injured the Giants receivers are still in the discussion of "who best".

we will certainly have a clearer understanding in 6-7 months!

Ntegrase96
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but Julio is still learning how to be an NFL WR. He could easily be a number one on any team. When healthy I like Nicks over White, but I think Jones is better than Cruz and the gap will only get larger.

It's a close call either way you go.

I think the first sentence is really telling. Most don't realize how sloppy of a route runner Julio is/was. He's getting better so he's figuring it out. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Buddy333
05-09-2013, 02:56 PM
As of today it has to be White and Jones as the best tandem. Nicks and Cruz have the ability but most recently it was the Falcon WR's.