PDA

View Full Version : Linebackers if 2012...who stays and who goes?

Shockeyitus
12-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Staying:</P>

Kiwi - has really shown his versitility and is a true professional.</P>

Boley - Having a Pro Bowl season, until he got hurt. </P>

Williams - He is closing in on 75-80 tackles as a rookie. Great speed and he is impressive.</P>

Blackburn - not sure why we ever let this guy go anyways, but I'd give him another year.</P>

Herzlich - I actually think he was playing well in the few games he gave us. This may be a reach, but this kid is fantastic against the run. Pass coverage....its a work in progress. </P>

Gone:</P>

Jones - I had high hopes for him coming out of the Big Ten, but he has been really disappointing. </P>

Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it.</P>

Shockeyitus
12-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Oh!!</P>

Goff - Staying...</P>

Sintim - Dont let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya!</P>

giantyankee1976
12-30-2011, 08:28 AM
adios Sintim !!!

Seducer
12-30-2011, 08:34 AM

Williams - He is closing in on 75-80 tackles as a rookie. Great speed and he is impressive.</P>

Blackburn - not sure why we ever let this guy go anyways, but I'd give him another year.</P>

Herzlich - I actually think he was playing well in the few games he gave us. This may be a reach, but this kid is fantastic against the run. Pass coverage....its a work in progress. </P>

Jones - I had high hopes for him coming out of the Big Ten, but he has been really disappointing. </P>

Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it.</P>

</P>

</P>

Ehh, I think Blackburn is gone again. He is a solid special teamer but he hasn't been great on D just hasn't made any big mistakes.</P>

Carnage929
12-30-2011, 09:21 AM

*********Kiwi - has really shown his versitility and is a true professional.</P>

*********Boley - Having a Pro Bowl season, until he got hurt. </P>

*********Williams - He is closing in on 75-80 tackles as a rookie. Great speed and he is impressive.</P>

*********Blackburn - not sure why we ever let this guy go anyways, but I'd give him another year.</P>

******** Herzlich - I actually think he was playing well in the few games he gave us. This may be a reach, but this kid is fantastic against the run. Pass coverage....its a work in progress. </P>

*********Jones - I had high hopes for him coming out of the Big Ten, but he has been really disappointing. </P>

*********Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it.</P>

We're not getting rid of a linebacker that we just drafted. Look at how long we've held onto Beckum, Sintim, even Barden for that matter. Jones will be here for atleast another 2 years. He was what a 6th rounder? He's development. Paysinger? Depends on FA signings and the draft. Herzlich? Nice Story, but same deal as Paysinger I'm affraid.

SIMMS5611
12-30-2011, 09:27 AM
I STILL like Blackburn. The guy is still a monster on Special Teams; seems he's always the first, or one of the first guys in on kickoff tackles. Plus, I like the emotional spark. There are a few LB's whos's skills are on par w/Chase, but they don't provide that spark, that leadership, that the G's seem to be soely lacking..;..</P>

</P>

Oh, and on a totally different topic, the Cowboys eat it. <FONT color=#0000ff size=6>Go Big Blue!!!</FONT></P>

TheEnigma
12-30-2011, 09:28 AM

*********Kiwi - has really shown his versitility and is a true professional.</P>

*********Williams - He is closing in on 75-80 tackles as a rookie. Great speed and he is impressive.</P>

*********Blackburn - not sure why we ever let this guy go anyways, but I'd give him another year.</P>

******** Herzlich - I actually think he was playing well in the few games he gave us. This may be a reach, but this kid is fantastic against the run. Pass coverage....its a work in progress. </P>

*********Jones - I had high hopes for him coming out of the Big Ten, but he has been really disappointing. </P>

*********Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it.</P>

We're not getting rid of a linebacker that we just drafted. Look at how long we've held onto Beckum, Sintim, even Barden for that matter. Jones will be here for atleast another 2 years. He was what a 6th rounder? He's development. Paysinger? Depends on FA signings and the draft. Herzlich? Nice Story, but same deal as Paysinger I'm affraid.Do remember we got rid of Dillard this offseason who we drafted with the 4th pick in the 2010 draft. I'm not saying that I think Jones will be released this year but it's still a possibility.

Seducer
12-30-2011, 09:37 AM

We're not getting rid of a linebacker that we just drafted. Look at how long we've held onto Beckum, Sintim, even Barden for that matter. Jones will be here for atleast another 2 years. He was what a 6th rounder? He's development. Paysinger? Depends on FA signings and the draft. Herzlich? Nice Story, but same deal as Paysinger I'm affraid.Do remember we got rid of Dillard this offseason who we drafted with the 4th pick in the 2010 draft. I'm not saying that I think Jones will be released this year but it's still a possibility.</P>

Imho, I think Herlzlich is safe. He worked his way up to the starting MLB job (not that it means a ton considering who he was up against) but he is ahead of Greg Jones right now for sure.</P>

Carnage929
12-30-2011, 10:02 AM

We're not getting rid of a linebacker that we just drafted. Look at how long we've held onto Beckum, Sintim, even Barden for that matter. Jones will be here for atleast another 2 years. He was what a 6th rounder? He's development. Paysinger? Depends on FA signings and the draft. Herzlich? Nice Story, but same deal as Paysinger I'm affraid.Do remember we got rid of Dillard this offseason who we drafted with the 4th pick in the 2010 draft. I'm not saying that I think Jones will be released this year but it's still a possibility.

That's right, forgot about Dillard.

burier
12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
I actually think Reese will finally come to his senses and play Sintim at End where he belongs. He'll need to put on 20 pounds though.

Kiwi will be back but I'm hoping he's plays at End more next season. His versatility is great but we need better balance.

Boley is having a great year. He'll be back

I can't really call it for the rookies this season. I think they'll all have to fight for a roster spot again next year but someone has to go because there's no way we don't bring a studd linebacker in during the off season.

brad
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Boley clearly is back next year.

Kiwi is back, but ideally playing primarily in the DE rotation, especially if Osi is traded like so many expect.

I like Blakburn and Hrzlich for depth

In a perfect world they pick up a stud MLB and OLB in the draft and/or FA, in reality that isn't likely. So I will hold out hope that they manage to get a very good MLB that can lead this defense over the next several years. Personally, I don't see that man in the list above.

Redeyejedi
12-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I think the Giants should draft a guy that can work at MLB or SOLB. James Michael Johnson of Nevada would be my choice

myles2424
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Blackburn gone...if he doesn't have a great offseason,jones gone....sintim gone....kiwi back to de....
Boley,Williams,Herz,goff,ROOKIE,FA....that's how I'd like to see it..
& goff shouldNt be a guy that's guaranteed a starting spot as soon as he's back (assuming he's brought back)......he's always been average & a year out of football,he needs to fight for his spot like everyone else...

galaxy10
12-30-2011, 12:50 PM
We need to draft a stud MLB or get one in FA. Its time, we do not have one on our team right now. I am disappointed in Jones so far, but he is still a rookie. Williams is playing well right now. We just need some one with the smarts to play MLB and the physical talent to guy with the smarts. I really don't see Goff as that guy. It is such an important position on the defense, we need a stud.

myles2424
12-30-2011, 02:36 PM
We need to draft a stud MLB or get one in FA.* Its time, we do not have one on our team right now.* I am disappointed in Jones so far, but he is still a rookie. Williams is playing well right now.* We just need some one with the smarts to play MLB and the physical talent to guy with the smarts.* I really don't see Goff as that guy.* It is such an important position on the defense, we need a stud.*
couldn't have said it any better.....also we literally have no SLB,kiwi needs to be back at his DE spot......draft & FA lbs....enough of this crap

NYfanatic
12-30-2011, 03:15 PM
LOLB:
Boley - Still under contract so keep him
Williams - Good rookie like to see more
MLB:
Goff - Looked good last year, keep him on a Kiwi deal
Herzlich - Looks really good in the games he played in, will improve so keep him as a backup for now
Jones - Depth
ROLB:
Rookie/FA pickup - Needed. Unless Goff can go to this spot we need someone here.
Kiwi - Moves to DE with a Osi trade I hope.

giantman8493
12-30-2011, 03:22 PM

We're not getting rid of a linebacker that we just drafted. Look at how long we've held onto Beckum, Sintim, even Barden for that matter. Jones will be here for atleast another 2 years. He was what a 6th rounder? He's development. Paysinger? Depends on FA signings and the draft. Herzlich? Nice Story, but same deal as Paysinger I'm affraid. Dillard? we didnt keep him long...

giantman8493
12-30-2011, 03:23 PM

</P>

*</P>

Ehh, I think Blackburn is gone again.* He is a solid special teamer but he hasn't been great on D just hasn't made any big mistakes.</P> I feel like Herzlich can play special teams like blackburn. it may be one or the other.

netplus
12-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Jones, Sintimand Paysinger gone. Herzlichwas good against the run, I like his upside. Blackburn off the couch to starting tells you what the Giants think of Jones. Boley, Kiwistay. Goff depends on recovery, Would love to see free agent Tulloch signed and a 1st or 2nd round LB pick.

Spizi
12-30-2011, 04:34 PM

Staying:
Boley- obvious
Williams- has huge potential
Herzlich- he will work harder than anyone
Jones- I still think he can be good and provide depth
Goff- he'll be cheap

Going:
Paysinger- expendable
Sintim- just leave please

Moving back to DE:
Kiwi- bye bye osi

FA:
Curtis Lofton or Stephen Tulloch- please god

Draft:
Kuechly, Brown, or Burfict- jerry!!

Seducer
12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Staying:</p>

Kiwi - has really shown his versitility and is a true professional.</p>

Boley - Having a Pro Bowl season, until he got hurt. </p>

Williams - He is closing in on 75-80 tackles as a rookie. Great speed and he is impressive.</p>

Blackburn - not sure why we ever let this guy go anyways, but I'd give him another year.</p>

Herzlich - I actually think he was playing well in the few games he gave us. This may be a reach, but this kid is fantastic against the run. Pass coverage....its a work in progress. </p>

Gone:</p>

Jones - I had high hopes for him coming out of the Big Ten, but he has been really disappointing. </p>

Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it.</p>

Staying:
Boley- obvious
Goff- he'll be cheap

Going:
Paysinger- expendable

Moving back to DE:
Kiwi- bye bye osi

FA:

Draft:

I think 1st round pick on a MLB and signing Tulloch or Lofton doesn't make sense.

GiantFanatic55
12-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Williams - He is closing in on 75-80 tackles as a rookie. Great speed and he is impressive.</p>

Blackburn - not sure why we ever let this guy go anyways, but I'd give him another year.</p>

Herzlich - I actually think he was playing well in the few games he gave us. This may be a reach, but this kid is fantastic against the run. Pass coverage....its a work in progress. </p>

Jones - I had high hopes for him coming out of the Big Ten, but he has been really disappointing. </p>

Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it.</p>

Staying:
Boley- obvious
Goff- he'll be cheap

Going:
Paysinger- expendable

Moving back to DE:
Kiwi- bye bye osi

FA:

Draft:

I would like to see Herz and Boley on the oustide with a FA or 1st round lb in the middle

TuckYou
12-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Boley
Kiwi
Williams
Blackburn
Paysinger
Draft pick</P>

Man our LBs suck. This is depressing.</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Spizi
12-30-2011, 06:41 PM

*********Kiwi - has really shown his versitility and is a true professional.</p>

*********Boley - Having a Pro Bowl season, until he got hurt. </p>

*********Williams - He is closing in on 75-80 tackles as a rookie. Great speed and he is impressive.</p>

*********Blackburn - not sure why we ever let this guy go anyways, but I'd give him another year.</p>

******** Herzlich - I actually think he was playing well in the few games he gave us. This may be a reach, but this kid is fantastic against the run. Pass coverage....its a work in progress. </p>

*********Jones - I had high hopes for him coming out of the Big Ten, but he has been really disappointing. </p>

*********Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it.</p>

Staying:
Boley- obvious
Goff- he'll be cheap

Going:
Paysinger- expendable

Moving back to DE:
Kiwi- bye bye osi

FA:

Draft:

I think 1st round pick on a MLB and signing Tulloch or Lofton doesn't make sense.

Why not? We need at least 2 linebackers and Boley is nothing special but thank god we have him.

But I was just referring to our LB situation when I said draft and free agency.

Gianthunter
12-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Blackburn stays he has proven to be a true Giant. And will be rewarded as such. He has stepped up every time his number has been called where ever that may be.

joeybagadonutz23
12-30-2011, 08:09 PM
I think the Giants should draft a guy that can work at MLB or SOLB. James Michael Johnson of Nevada would be my choice
Yeah he looks good. Probably just as fast as Burfict but with a much better head on his shoulders.

RUbaseball24
12-30-2011, 08:18 PM
You guys are dumb if you think we're getting rid of Jones. They don't dump someone a year after we spent a DRAFT PICK on them. He hasn't even done that bad, he's just been put into a real crappy defensive scheme, and a year where our D Line hasnt been as much of a force as it usually is.

Blackburn sadly will be gone. Unless he agrees to a VERY small contract, i can't see the Giants ponying up money to keep around a backup, especially when we have Herzlich for special teams now. He's a vet, and he's gonna want atleast 1-2 mil per year. Not gonna happen.

Dillard is gone, enough said about that.

Sintim is tricky, I think the FO was expecting big things from him this year until his injury. I think they give him one more year.

I dont think alot of you realize how smart and effective Goff is, he proved that last year and he's GREAT against the run, extremely intelligent, and a leader. He will be our MLB next year unless we sign a big name FA which i doubt.

We won't spend any higher than a 3rd rounder on a LB, and that will be just for depth. We have such young, talented linebackers they just need to get accustomed to the game, theyre not gonna use a 1st rounder on one when we have dire needs at OL and the secondary.

NYfanatic
12-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Staying:
Boley- obvious
Goff- he'll be cheap

Going:
Paysinger- expendable

Moving back to DE:
Kiwi- bye bye osi

FA:

Draft:
Nice Avatar.

slipknottin
12-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Paysinger is one of the best ST players on the roster.

Can't judge only on value on defense, STs is a huge priority

Martyr
12-30-2011, 08:53 PM
It would be nice for them all to make it to camp next year.</P>

amdownwitjpp
12-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Boley,jones,Williams and Kiwi def stay,Goff is intelligent more than talented and thats wut this team needs mental leadership.I said it last nite on 1 of these blogs that to me the oly diference betwen this D when all r healthy and the 2007 D is Antonio Pierce this defensive backfield is better to a man the D-line about the same it's the veteran MLB,to me thats it,I was shocked that Keller did'nt eat us up last week.If u guys r tru Giants fans u no that we rarely go get Free agents this team is built on draft ability

JJC7301
12-30-2011, 09:54 PM

Kiwi - trade / release Osi and put Kiwi back at DE once and for all.
Sintim - adios.
Goff - sign for 1 year if he passes physical.
Boley - keep.
Williams - keep. Raw and potential for good growth.
Blackburn - +1. I had forgotten about him -- why did we ever let him go? He was always a good back-up.
Herzlich - +1. He should return to see if he continues progressing.
Jones and Paysinger - I draft or sign a LB and keep Blackburn, so I'd let both of these guys go.

bleedinblue27
12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Kiwi - i still believe he is a DE not an LB
Boley - got burned a few to many time for me
William - this kid has a future, good player
Blackburn - need a full season as a starter, who dont love Chase!!
Herzlich - need more time to see this kid, he looks ok so far
Jones - didnt get a good start this year, lets give him next year
Paysinger - Hasn't shown enough to step on the field. Good speed, but that is it. im totally with you on this one

Redeyejedi
12-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah he looks good. Probably just as fast as Burfict but with a much better head on his shoulders.I like Bobby Wagner of Utah State a lot as well. Very productive ,wide range of skills, 6'1 but has real long arms. Has arms of a guy 6'4" - 6'5" can keep the lineman off him

Shockeyitus
12-30-2011, 11:36 PM
<FONT size=4><FONT size=3>You guys are dumb if you think we're getting rid of Jones. They don't dump someone a year after we spent a DRAFT PICK</FONT> on them</FONT>. He hasn't even done that bad, he's just been put into a real crappy defensive scheme, and a year where our D Line hasnt been as much of a force as it usually is. Blackburn sadly will be gone. Unless he agrees to a VERY small contract, i can't see the Giants ponying up money to keep around a backup, especially when we have Herzlich for special teams now. He's a vet, and he's gonna want atleast 1-2 mil per year. Not gonna happen. Dillard is gone, enough said about that. Sintim is tricky, I think the FO was expecting big things from him this year until his injury. I think they give him one more year. I dont think alot of you realize how smart and effective Goff is, he proved that last year and he's GREAT against the run, extremely intelligent, and a leader. He will be our MLB next year unless we sign a big name FA which i doubt. We won't spend any higher than a 3rd rounder on a LB, and that will be just for depth. We have such young, talented linebackers they just need to get accustomed to the game, theyre not gonna use a 1st rounder on one when we have dire needs at OL and the secondary.</P>

Dillard was drafted last year.... Giants do dump draft picks. You're dumb</P>

Rich4114
12-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Herzlich will be a keeper. If we let him go, 2 years from now we will really regret it. He's regaining his strength, quickness, and at the same time trying to figure out the faster/smarter NFL game. He just needs time to develop and I think he will make us happy at MLB for a long time.

Breezely
12-31-2011, 12:47 AM
I know I am probably alone in my assessment but I don't think the Giants are that bad off at linebacker. They have some good young prospects that I think plays well.

Greg Jones is a beast but was forced into duty a little too soon. Having a rookie MLB that was thrust into the starting role with a short offseason, I thought he wasn't that bad. Matter of fact, most of the young linebackers had to play sooner than anyone had wanted and did well. None of them will win rookie of the year but they competed and got some valuable experience from it.

HOWEVER!, rookies like Von Miller makes them look bad. Is it scheme and preparation or is it that they were simply out played?

I do agree that the MLB position needs a defensive quarterback. That is the only reason that I miss Pierce. He use to get guys into position and schemes. We miss that. It almost seems as though that is being provided by the secondary, who on many occasions are out of position.

Bohemian
12-31-2011, 01:36 AM
I completely agree. This year was a big improvement from our routine of dressing old LBs who are too old and too slow. I like the kids and their speed, but we still have a huge hole in the middle of the defensive front. If we get a true MLB and stop pretending that project players, like Jones, Goff and Herzlich are good enough to take this defense to the next level. I am a big Kiwi fan, but he should definitely get back to DE and take over Osi's spot for next year. Our DLine is looking great, and now we have improved greatly at OLB, as Boley is a beast and Williams looks like he will be good one down the line. I would be happy to see Goff moved to the SAM and a true MIKE signed or drafted.

I did enjoy the time that Antonio Pierce controlled our defense, and even though I always thought that he was horrible in pass coverage, he was the best inside backer that I have seen in a Giants uniform since Pepper Johnson... the only difference being that Pepper was amazing in pass coverage.