PDA

View Full Version : Son , You're Potential Is Getting Me Fired

BlueBlitzer
05-10-2013, 10:01 AM
That may be the Thinking Big Blue's LBer coach is wondering right now. We have Backers who can play Sam, Will And Mike. However none will have Offensive Coaches sleepless at night. All seem to have that P- thing ( Potential )

FishinTheSalt
05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
This crew keeps me sleepless at nights.. As a fan

Roosevelt
05-10-2013, 10:34 AM
For whatever reason we haven't been able to develop top notch players in that position, or in the back 7 really.

Truth is we have drafted a decent amount of linebackers - 8 I think since Reese is GM. And we've taken them as high as the 2nd round.

But while our defense can look so bad at times, we have been able to come together in the post season twice. It's tough to argue with that kind of success despite how frustrating it is to watch our defense play.

Kruunch
05-10-2013, 10:59 AM
The LBer situation is a game of numbers under Reese ... draft/sign a ton of low end prospects and see what sticks.

This year doesn't seem to be any different (signings over drafting this year).

TAILGATIN'
05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Everyone's argument about the LBer situation seems to be that we won two superbowls with mediocre players in this position and can do it again. Id argue that both those SB runs came late in the season and for both of those years the team had me biting my nails most of the season. I would think that with a stonger core of LBers our D would be much improved. Although we won two SBs, we also got seasons like last year.

smd16nwo
05-10-2013, 11:35 AM
The Greatest Linebacker of all time probably needs a job, they should hire him to teach his skills to our LB's. That is if we can keep him out of trouble long enough ha ha.

MattMeyerBud
05-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Everyone's argument about the LBer situation seems to be that we won two superbowls with mediocre players in this position and can do it again. Id argue that both those SB runs came late in the season and for both of those years the team had me biting my nails most of the season. I would think that with a stonger core of LBers our D would be much improved. Although we won two SBs, we also got seasons like last year.

most of the season means nothing. The point is we got to the playoffs and played our best ball when it counted and in both runs the defense was lights out and both runs we had mediocre at best LBers

MattMeyerBud
05-10-2013, 12:05 PM
The Greatest Linebacker of all time probably needs a job, they should hire him to teach his skills to our LB's. That is if we can keep him out of trouble long enough ha ha.

he ain't leaving the golf course, hes said he barely watched football anymore.

Plus im not sure how good of a technical coach he would be

Kruunch
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
most of the season means nothing. The point is we got to the playoffs and played our best ball when it counted and in both runs the defense was lights out and both runs we had mediocre at best LBers

Then again with decent LBers we might very well have gone to the playoffs in 2009, 2010 and 2012.

Shrug.

pino
05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Everyone acts like there is his SURPLUS of AMAZING LBs that the Giants ignore and refuse to sign. We already have question marks for linebackers. Adding more questions marks are not going to change anything unless they can all somehow combine into Devastator.

jomo
05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
That may be the Thinking Big Blue's LBer coach is wondering right now. We have Backers who can play Sam, Will And Mike. However none will have Offensive Coaches sleepless at night. All seem to have that P- thing ( Potential ).............and a couple don't even have that.

myles2424
05-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I've got an amazing ground breaking idea, instead of going through the same B.S every single year by signing bums & late round picks,hoping someone works out.....just draft some actuall LBs & hopefully we don't have to worry about LB for the next 8 years

TAILGATIN'
05-10-2013, 04:34 PM
You missed my point.. We barely made it there and I know I will get crap for this, but along with talent, we def had some luck on our side. Those SB runs could have been at least somewhat easier seasons if some needs were addressed (such as LB). I agree with Kruunch's above statement too. Might have had some better seasons and easier roads to bowls.

J. Tuck Rule
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
The defense lives and dies by the Line. If the Line plays like the stars they are, the linebackers could be me, you and your sister and we'd win. If the line plays like they did last year, you see how it goes with mediocre linebackers.

TAILGATIN'
05-10-2013, 06:29 PM
The defense lives and dies by the Line. If the Line plays like the stars they are, the linebackers could be me, you and your sister and we'd win. If the line plays like they did last year, you see how it goes with mediocre linebackers.
I realize how important the line is, but that analogy is garbage. Imagine a great line w some decent LBs behind them.. I believe that's the mentality for most of us who want a decent LB unit. I know some of you would be happy w strawberry shortcake and rainbow bright back there, but I'm sick of the post draft crapshoot.

Faded Blue
05-10-2013, 06:50 PM
I've got an amazing ground breaking idea, instead of going through the same B.S every single year by signing bums & late round picks,hoping someone works out.....just draft some actuall LBs & hopefully we don't have to worry about LB for the next 8 years

And how thrilled would you have been if we actually drafted Rivers and Curry when they came out of college? Just pretend we did, they didn't live up to expectations (as will happen), but we are still hopeful they will come around. Drafting LBs with high picks don't always work out, now does it?

NYGdraftMIND
05-10-2013, 06:51 PM
We run a 4-3 system. The emphasis is on the front four creating pressure and disrupting the timing of the opposing offense. Linebackes in this system are valued but not to the extent that you think is needed to make this system work effectively. You might think that's a crazy conclusion, and most might agree but consider the priorities of a 4-3 1. You need a penetrating front four that can eliminate the intermediate to long passing plays2. You need great cover/press corners to create coverage sacks or interrupt the short slant passes 3. Safeties that can control the intermediate middle/seam routes, come down in the box and make tackles in the ball or take away the deep ball.4. Now you need your line backers to plug up whatever holes are left open by the rush/or the TE/SR over the middle/flats.All necessary for a top notch 4-3 but you are not going to be able to get that, especially where the giants have been drafting. Most good-great 4-3 projected LB's are gone before 13-15. (Keuchly) we have not been in range of these guys for se time now. Some college systems implement a 3-4 look more than a 4-3, so its hard to find those guys that would transition well. Just my observation, understand the concern but it is not the end of the season if we have mediocre LB's everyone just need to do THEIR! job and nothing else. Anything else might put them out of position essentially out of the play.

giantsfan420
05-10-2013, 07:54 PM
i for one actually believe a change of scenery will help curry out and he drops everyones jaws...ppl act like he was terrible, he had a decent rookie year, and 73 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 ff, 5 tfl, and 5 PD his sophomore year as an OLB on the Seattle D when they were garbage. he had injury issues after that, as well as the revolving door of coaches and schemes until Carrol came in and they butted heads for whatever reason.

the guy physically is fluid when he drops off into coverage, he has nice speed/quickness, can bend and get the corner, can set the edge...he did do those things in seattle the first couple years...i am betting that between Curry, Rivers, J-Will, we get 2 who bring at the least above avg play (which we havent even gotten for a while really)

J. Tuck Rule
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
I realize how important the line is, but that analogy is garbage. Imagine a great line w some decent LBs behind them.. I believe that's the mentality for most of us who want a decent LB unit. I know some of you would be happy w strawberry shortcake and rainbow bright back there, but I'm sick of the post draft crapshoot.

Sure, it would be great but, you can only work within your budget. It's has also been proven (twice) that this team is capable of winning with Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Bright at linebacker.

Is it ideal? No.

Is it insurmountable? Also, no.

GTGiantsFan
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
People like to think we had bad lbers when our defense was good. No, Pierce and Mitchell were good lbers and played very good, that's when our defense was great and when our D was great. In 2011 we had a pretty terrible defense and a great offense.

BlueBlooded1979
05-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Like Cincy and Seattle did in 2008 and 2009 ?

TAILGATIN'
05-10-2013, 09:58 PM
And how thrilled would you have been if we actually drafted Rivers and Curry when they came out of college? Just pretend we did, they didn't live up to expectations (as will happen), but we are still hopeful they will come around. Drafting LBs with high picks don't always work out, now does it?
News flash: there's busts at every single position and studs at every single position. Did you not know that?

myles2424
05-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Like Cincy and Seattle did in 2008 and 2009 ?

What a worthless analogy.....we should definetly never draft a Lb ever again because bengals & Seahawks got hosed...
Infact, since dallas got screwed with Felix jones & Pitt with mendenhal, we should've never drafted David Wilso I guess

TAILGATIN'
05-10-2013, 10:22 PM
What a worthless analogy.....we should definetly never draft a Lb ever again because bengals & Seahawks got hosed...
Infact, since dallas got screwed with Felix jones & Pitt with mendenhal, we should've never drafted David Wilso I guess
Agreed. This threads getting stupid. We all know we haven't been prioritizing LBs but can still win super bowls. What people don't want to admit (why I don't know) is how much better we could be if we put some hitters in there. Sure it all starts in the trenches and blah blah blah, but put some more talent behind them and now we're talking. I don't understand why people act like they're so against this thought process.

giants8493
05-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Infact, since dallas got screwed with Felix jones & Pitt with mendenhal, we should've never drafted David Wilso I guessmendenhall was decent.

Toadofsteel
05-11-2013, 12:41 AM

Two words: Clint Sintim.

Two more words: John Goff (is he even in the league anymore?)

Captain Chaos
05-11-2013, 07:21 AM
The sky is falling....

TAILGATIN'
05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Two words: Clint Sintim.

Two more words: John Goff (is he even in the league anymore?)
What do those two gave to do with anything right now? JR should be trying to redeem those picks if anything. Thats like saying youre never gone eat meat again because you had a bad steak. Because those two didn't work out we should never draft a LB again right? Look at 49ers.. Patrick Willis in in the first, NaVorro Bowman in the 3rd. They worked out just perfect. I don't understand the LB hate you guys have. Are you that far up JRs butt that u agree with everything the man does? Pull your head out and look yourself.

J. Tuck Rule
05-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Agreed. This threads getting stupid. We all know we haven't been prioritizing LBs but can still win super bowls. What people don't want to admit (why I don't know) is how much better we could be if we put some hitters in there. Sure it all starts in the trenches and blah blah blah, but put some more talent behind them and now we're talking. I don't understand why people act like they're so against this thought process.

No one is against having good linebacker. Of course we want good linebackers. But, we're also not worried about the ones that we have. They might not be stars, heavy hitters, etc. But, they really don't need to be within this defense.

TAILGATIN'
05-11-2013, 09:25 AM
No one is against having good linebacker. Of course we want good linebackers. But, we're also not worried about the ones that we have. They might not be stars, heavy hitters, etc. But, they really don't need to be within this defense.
Fair enough.. agree to disagree.

GameTime
05-11-2013, 10:13 AM
to the OP...
its "Your" not "You're".....

just sayin'........:cool:

Redeyejedi
05-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Everyone's argument about the LBer situation seems to be that we won two superbowls with mediocre players in this position and can do it again. Id argue that both those SB runs came late in the season and for both of those years the team had me biting my nails most of the season. I would think that with a stonger core of LBers our D would be much improved. Although we won two SBs, we also got seasons like last year.Being stronger at LB means being weaker somewhere else.The LB corp wasnt the primary reason they missed the playoffs. Id say losing Nicks and having no pass rush were far bigger reasons

GameTime
05-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Being stronger at LB means being weaker somewhere else.
why is that?.....

Roosevelt
05-11-2013, 10:43 AM
We run a 4-3 system. The emphasis is on the front four creating pressure and disrupting the timing of the opposing offense. Linebackes in this system are valued but not to the extent that you think is needed to make this system work effectively. You might think that's a crazy conclusion, and most might agree but consider the priorities of a 4-3 1. You need a penetrating front four that can eliminate the intermediate to long passing plays2. You need great cover/press corners to create coverage sacks or interrupt the short slant passes 3. Safeties that can control the intermediate middle/seam routes, come down in the box and make tackles in the ball or take away the deep ball.4. Now you need your line backers to plug up whatever holes are left open by the rush/or the TE/SR over the middle/flats.All necessary for a top notch 4-3 but you are not going to be able to get that, especially where the giants have been drafting. Most good-great 4-3 projected LB's are gone before 13-15. (Keuchly) we have not been in range of these guys for se time now. Some college systems implement a 3-4 look more than a 4-3, so its hard to find those guys that would transition well. Just my observation, understand the concern but it is not the end of the season if we have mediocre LB's everyone just need to do THEIR! job and nothing else. Anything else might put them out of position essentially out of the play.

The Ravens and the 49'ers both use 4-3 defense with some pretty good LB'ers. Perhaps the difference between their defenses and ours is because of the LB position?

J. Tuck Rule
05-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Fair enough.. agree to disagree.

Don't get me wrong. I really want a nasty, snot slinging, blood spitting Linebacker. I think the LBer is the heart of the defense. But, we don't have one. I'm still on board with their plans.

giant-4-life
05-11-2013, 04:46 PM
The LBer situation is a game of numbers under Reese ... draft/sign a ton of low end prospects and see what sticks.

This year doesn't seem to be any different (signings over drafting this year).

How many hybrid LB'ers did the draft have? -Zero. So Reese "probably" knew this and had a plan and he executed that plan. the defense could use that as an example

TAILGATIN'
05-11-2013, 04:48 PM
to the OP...
its "Your" not "You're".....

just sayin'........:cool:
Dude it's an online forum, not a literature course.. You do this often n nobody cares. Waste of forum space. Just sayin

giants8493
05-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Dude it's an online forum, not a literature course.. You do this often n nobody cares. Waste of forum space. Just sayinThere is infinite amount of space on a forum. I saw a thread go over 200 pages long!!! just sayin

J. Tuck Rule
05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Dude it's an online forum, not a literature course.. You do this often n nobody cares. Waste of forum space. Just sayin

There is infinite amount of space on a forum. I saw a thread go over 200 pages long!!! just sayin

Internet: Serious Business :-)

Redeyejedi
05-11-2013, 07:05 PM
why is that?.....because u have to use resources that go to another part of the team to improve the LB's. If u use a 1st round pick on a LB that would be a 1st round pick that didnt go to the Oline this year.Its not like there is no cap and the Giants are just ignoring the position. they have a limited amount of draft picks and money to build a team