PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Curry says he's signed with the Giants

drewz
05-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Art Stapleton ‏@art_stapleton (https://twitter.com/art_stapleton)1m (https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/332950752714694658)
And there you go. The newest member of the #NYG (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NYG&src=hash) "@AaronCurry51 (https://twitter.com/AaronCurry51): EXCITED TO BE A GIANT!!!

EDIT:

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/10/breaking-news-new-york-giants-sign-olb-aaron-curry/ - RF

EnragedYouth85
05-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Very nice! Figured that was going to happen.. with him staying there this morning and all..

TheEnigma
05-10-2013, 05:15 PM
In before the hate. Hope it goes well here for him.

UKAnt14
05-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Delighted with his. Can't imagine he'll get too big of a contract so a definite high reward low risk situation. If healthy he has the potential to be a real problem at LB.Williams-Connor-Curry...not bad

darrin99
05-10-2013, 05:23 PM
We'll see what he brings to the table in training camp.

jomo
05-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Wishing him the best here and may his leash be short.

G-Men Surg.
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
That means he passed his physical. Hope he can continue to be healthy and develops into the player he first was envision.

TAILGATIN'
05-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I like it. Pulling for the guys comeback

TCHOF
05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Interesting . . . .

WR4Life
05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
All Im hoping for is that he contributes. That's all.

Carter.525
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
he's worth a shot.. I like this move

penguinfarmer
05-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Don't think anyone should hate this pick. Now maybe you can have some stunted expectations.

Rudyy
05-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Congrats to him. Hope he can contribute in a big way.

DaFrenchy
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
No reasons at all to hate this pick. We definetely need help at the LB position.
As said UKAnt, low risk-high reward, love it !

Moke
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
LET'S GET THIS SUPER BOWL AT METLIFE YA DIG?!

Eli TO Shockey
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
I heard its for Vet minimum. Nice work JR.

slipknottin
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
No reasons at all to hate this pick. We definetely need help at the LB position.
As said UKAnt, low risk-high reward, love it !
High reward? Why are people still talking about how he is untapped potential? He's been in he league since 09 and has never done anything. Best case scenario they get a below average healthy player

Broadway Blue
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Great to hear

I hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder and proves the doubters wrong

Nice move made by Reese!

myles2424
05-10-2013, 06:08 PM
This is awesome!!!! We now have 4 LBs that are all injury prone & were never good enough for anyother team....

BigBlue1971
05-10-2013, 06:09 PM
a great signing by the Giants! another lb i wanted in 09. i was pissed at the Seahawks when they drafted him!

hopefully Aaron can reach the potential hes capable of.

hugehomer
05-10-2013, 06:11 PM
He doesnt have short arms, does he?

btbrennan
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm down with this.

Carter.525
05-10-2013, 06:19 PM
He doesnt have short arms, does he?

yes, but his elbows are huge!

ALLnygIN
05-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Good! Now stay healthy, work hard and be that player you were suppose to be! Just capitalize on your new oppurtunity.

darrin99
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
It's ironic that if someone would have told us that in we'd have the top linebacker in the 2008 draft and the top linebacker in the 2009 draft under contract in 2013, we'd all be stoked. lol

Redeyejedi
05-10-2013, 06:33 PM
All we need is Mcclain to have an All Top 10 Bust LB corps

danme
05-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Great -- another "HAS BEEN" Oh wait he is a "NEVER WAS" my god our Linebacker corp SUCKS Chase Blackburn is a Better Line Backer than Curry will ever be -- I don't understand how REESE can think Linebackers aren't important. It's the reason we have the 33rd ranked Defense in the league. I don't care how powerful and efficient our Offense is -- If we cant get off the field on 3rd down defensively and get the Ball to Eli and company we will continue to be a 9-7 or worse team

Peace
Dan

ALLnygIN
05-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Great -- another "HAS BEEN" Oh wait he is a "NEVER WAS" my god our Linebacker corp SUCKS Chase Blackburn is a Better Line Backer than Curry will ever be -- I don't understand how REESE can think Linebackers aren't important. It's the reason we have the 33rd ranked Defense in the league. I don't care how powerful and efficient our Offense is -- If we cant get off the field on 3rd down defensively and get the Ball to Eli and company we will continue to be a 9-7 or worse team

Peace
Dan

Put it this way, I'd rather have him out there than herzlich.

Shockeystays08
05-10-2013, 06:46 PM
This could be a good thing. I like it!

amukamerica
05-10-2013, 06:55 PM
guys gonna have 2 or 3 really good pre-season games, then get a mysterous nagging hamstring then put on a cloak the rest of the season, only emerging to miss a couple second level tackles every couple games.

TheAnalyst
05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
He will most likely play less then Rivers, and be less effective then Herzlich. Oh well. Here is to hoping he gets that pre draft hype status back and starts playing NFL football. To me its like when we pick up Arrington way past his prime.

joemorrisforprez
05-10-2013, 07:04 PM
He deserves a shot to see if he can make the team....additional competition is fine with me.

Tbonenc
05-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Much ado about nothing. It's not like we signed someone with a proven track record. The only reason anyone cares is because this guy was dominant in college.

Look, its better we get him now at vet min than having drafted him in Round 1. Chances are, the LBer's taken in the first round this year will be average, at best.

ALLnygIN
05-10-2013, 07:05 PM
He will most likely play less then Rivers, and be less effective then Herzlich. Oh well. Here is to hoping he gets that pre draft hype status back and starts playing NFL football. To me its like when we pick up Arrington way past his prime.

There is no possible way to be less effective that zlich do you not remember him last season?

slipknottin
05-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Much ado about nothing. It's not like we signed someone with a proven track record. The only reason anyone cares is because this guy was dominant in college.

Look, its better we get him now at vet min than having drafted him in Round 1. Chances are, the LBer's taken in the first round this year will be average, at best.

There was only 1 Lb drafted in the first this draft

ashleymarie
05-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Welcome. Stay healthy.

plaxattack17
05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
i dont know why this team value LBs so low. Its a priority for me, but we're happy with UDFA and scrubs for that position i'll never understand why.

slipknottin
05-10-2013, 07:15 PM
i dont know why this team value LBs so low. Its a priority for me, but we're happy with UDFA and scrubs for that position i'll never understand why.

They didn't have cap room to sign anyone. So they got a guy for the vet minimum

plaxattack17
05-10-2013, 07:18 PM
its not that inparticular, i'm talking about in general, we never drafted quality ones to replace AP58 and don't go after good fa lb over the years, i find that bizarre, I would love a dominant mike to lead the defense but we upgrade most positions but never upgrade lb.

bearbryant
05-10-2013, 07:53 PM
You just can never get enough DE's!

Breezely
05-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Put it this way, I'd rather have him out there than herzlich.

Whoa. . . . . .what's the deal with the Herzlich hate? Herzlich should not have been in a linebacker's role last year. Maybe special teams but not linebacker. Since the linebackers were beat up last year, he was forced into action. I expect good things from Herz. Dude has heart and used to have a motor (hopefully he still do).

ALLnygIN
05-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Whoa. . . . . .what's the deal with the Herzlich hate? Herzlich should not have been in a linebacker's role last year. Maybe special teams but not linebacker. Since the linebackers were beat up last year, he was forced into action. I expect good things from Herz. Dude has heart and used to have a motor (hopefully he still do).

I have nothing against him. I like who he is and what hes over come, but liking a guy is different than how he performs on the field. He may have heart, but that doesn't give you talent. I saw no glimpses of any starting potential from the guy. No hate, and I'd like to keep him around for depth, but other than that I saw nothing to get hopeful about. I could be wrong though, I'm certainly not a talent evaluator and I'm hopeful I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Martyr
05-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Cant miss prospect of the 09 draft

bigjeep
05-10-2013, 08:38 PM
We'll see what he brings to the table in training camp.

Cotton Candy?

giantsfan420
05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
wow. crow served to the few, who know who they are, that were all over me for saying Curry was a player JR would def. look into and take if the price was right...somehow that was unacceptable, comically, by some posters who act like they know it all...nice signing. he must have checked out, so I expect him to compete for the starting job.

ShakeandBake
05-10-2013, 08:51 PM
wow. crow served to the few, who know who they are, that were all over me for saying Curry was a player JR would def. look into and take if the price was right...somehow that was unacceptable, comically, by some posters who act like they know it all...nice signing. he must have checked out, so I expect him to compete for the starting job.

So are you going to own up to the wrong assumptions you make about free agent signings? I hope not because you will be typing for weeks on end....

Carter.525
05-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Cant miss prospect of the 09 draft

I thought he was gonna be a Super Star..

BigBlue1971
05-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Curry is a little bit younger than Lavar and imo more talented!

we should get this done. we got two #1s and high #1s on this team! if these guys compete hard we could have what we're all after!

Captain Chaos
05-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Resse indicated he was a little overweight but moved well, looks like he's got a ways to go before he will be ready for contact. Said he would play middle or Sam....

PierrePaul
05-10-2013, 09:42 PM
At some point, you gotta believe Curry sees he doesn't have many more chances to start over. If he dedicated himself to the weight room, and stays healthy, he could have a nice turn around year. I don't see the point as a fan to assume the worst. Best case senario is way better than "below average LB".Best case senario is that he stays healthy, learns the defense, and plays fast. He could be the answer we are all looking for. We are fans, why not get our hopes up?? That is much better than not having hope at all. Isn't it? I like the move JR. Who else is available for that price?

Eli TO Shockey
05-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Curry Scouting report coming out of college

http://walterfootball.com/pro2009acurry.php

Strengths:
Elite size and strength ... Solid timed speed in the 4.6 range ... Very solid production over past three seasons ... Great instincts; does not hesitate or second guess the development of the play ... Playmaker who makes clutch tackles on third down and jars the ball loose ... Is a threat to rush the quarterback ... Works through the trash to get to the ball-carrier ... Aggressive ... Rarely misses tackles ... Textbook usage with his hands ... Strong at the point of attack ... Takes sound, consistent angles to the football ... Will take on a block ... Extreme versatility to play 4-3 SAM and 4-3 or 3-4 ILB, but can also occasionally play 3-4 OLB ... Leads by example.

Weaknesses:
Sluggish hips in zone coverage ... Not much of a playmaker against the pass ... Questionable ability to change directions ... Occasionally gets too high when taking on blockers.

Summary:
It really seems like to me everyone in the Draftnik community got together and just one day declared Aaron Curry as a top five pick. I love Curry the player, but to be a top-eight player on my Draft board as a 4-3 outside linebacker you better have very fluid hips (like Derrick Brooks as a prospect) and have the ability to play the Tampa 2 WILL, which Curry does not. Bottom line is Curry certainly has weaknesses going untalked about, but in the end, I do project him as a top-15 pick.

TCHOF
05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Curry Scouting report coming out of college

http://walterfootball.com/pro2009acurry.php

Strengths:
Elite size and strength ... Solid timed speed in the 4.6 range ... Very solid production over past three seasons ... Great instincts; does not hesitate or second guess the development of the play ... Playmaker who makes clutch tackles on third down and jars the ball loose ... Is a threat to rush the quarterback ... Works through the trash to get to the ball-carrier ... Aggressive ... Rarely misses tackles ... Textbook usage with his hands ... Strong at the point of attack ... Takes sound, consistent angles to the football ... Will take on a block ... Extreme versatility to play 4-3 SAM and 4-3 or 3-4 ILB, but can also occasionally play 3-4 OLB ... Leads by example.

Weaknesses:
Sluggish hips in zone coverage ... Not much of a playmaker against the pass ... Questionable ability to change directions ... Occasionally gets too high when taking on blockers.

Summary:
It really seems like to me everyone in the Draftnik community got together and just one day declared Aaron Curry as a top five pick. I love Curry the player, but to be a top-eight player on my Draft board as a 4-3 outside linebacker you better have very fluid hips (like Derrick Brooks as a prospect) and have the ability to play the Tampa 2 WILL, which Curry does not. Bottom line is Curry certainly has weaknesses going untalked about, but in the end, I do project him as a top-15 pick.

College was a long time ago . . .

TCHOF
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Curry is a little bit younger than Lavar and imo more talented!

we should get this done. we got two #1s and high #1s on this team! if these guys compete hard we could have what we're all after!

Last year, the Jets had 3 of the top 11 picks in the 2009 draft. Where you were drafted means nothing once you've played a few years in the NFL.

egyptian420
05-10-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm happy to give him a second chance and would be surprised if he became a starter, that would be great but I'm not expecting it. Don't know how anyone could be upset about signing him for vet min.

giantsfan420
05-10-2013, 10:34 PM
i for one actually believe a change of scenery will help curry out and he drops everyones jaws...ppl act like he was terrible, he had a decent rookie year, and 73 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 ff, 5 tfl, and 5 PD his sophomore year as an OLB on the Seattle D when they were garbage. he had injury issues after that, as well as the revolving door of coaches and schemes until Carrol came in and they butted heads for whatever reason.

he has nice speed/quickness, can bend and get the corner, can set the edge...he did do those things in seattle the first couple years...i am betting that between Curry, Rivers, J-Will, we get 2 who bring at the least above avg play (which we havent even gotten for a while really)

Breezely
05-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I have nothing against him. I like who he is and what hes over come, but liking a guy is different than how he performs on the field. He may have heart, but that doesn't give you talent. I saw no glimpses of any starting potential from the guy. No hate, and I'd like to keep him around for depth, but other than that I saw nothing to get hopeful about. I could be wrong though, I'm certainly not a talent evaluator and I'm hopeful I am wrong, but I doubt it.

I can dig it!!!!!

BigBlue1971
05-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Last year, the Jets had 3 of the top 11 picks in the 2009 draft. Where you were drafted means nothing once you've played a few years in the NFL.

yea i with you on that however its still strange these scouts missed on these two guys on our roster!

i wouldnt be surprised if both Rivers and Curry break out this year.

titwio
05-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Keith Rivers and now Aaron Curry.......Who says the Giants don't take LB's in the 1st round.

Rudyy
05-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Keith Rivers and now Aaron Curry.......Who says the Giants don't take LB's in the 1st round.Aha

Rat_bastich
05-11-2013, 04:21 AM
High reward? Why are people still talking about how he is untapped potential? He's been in he league since 09 and has never done anything. Best case scenario they get a below average healthy player

Actually, wouldn't best case scenario be that he lives up to the hype he came into the NFL with? Below average healthy player would be middle road scenario with worst case being he never sees the field or runs an interception into his own end zone every play.

Giantslb66
05-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Good Luck with the Giants AC

ehadad37
05-11-2013, 07:28 AM
First of all this is my first message in the forum so... Hello everyone...

With regard to the subject I think the Giants move the ball to Curry hands and he surely know this his last opportunity to get success in the NFL.
If he won't impress the coaching staff in the training camp he will be cut so I don't see any risk with this move.
Also, as someone already wrote, do you have better options with the same price?

fletch842
05-11-2013, 07:56 AM
First of all this is my first message in the forum so... Hello everyone...

With regard to the subject I think the Giants move the ball to Curry hands and he surely know this his last opportunity to get success in the NFL.
If he won't impress the coaching staff in the training camp he will be cut so I don't see any risk with this move.
Also, as someone already wrote, do you have better options with the same price?
welcome to the nuthouse.

Odan
05-11-2013, 08:54 AM
No better spot for him to sign considering we have the most mediocre core of linebackers in the league. If he can't make the team then its truly time to hang it up. Best of luck.

slipknottin
05-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Actually, wouldn't best case scenario be that he lives up to the hype he came into the NFL with? Below avergae healthy player would be middle road scenario with worst case being he never sees the field or runs an interception into his own end zone every play.

The problem is people thinking he's capable of being the player he was hyped to be. He's not.

G-Men Surg.
05-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Keith Rivers and now Aaron Curry.......Who says the Giants don't take LB's in the 1st round.
ROLF !

joemorrisforprez
05-11-2013, 03:09 PM
No better spot for him to sign considering we have the most mediocre core of linebackers in the league. If he can't make the team then its truly time to hang it up. Best of luck.

Sad but true.

I have no issues with this signing. The linebackers need all the competition they can get, especially since our top 2 linebackers aren't returning.

B&RWarrior
05-11-2013, 08:12 PM
This is awesome!!!! We now have 4 LBs that are all injury prone & were never good enough for anyother team....

Your about right with the injuries, but Rivers has talent.

Carter.525
05-11-2013, 09:00 PM
should look like this:

Will- J Will / Paysinger
Mike- Connor / Herz
Sam- Rivers / Curry

jomo
05-11-2013, 09:19 PM
should look like this:

Will- J Will / Paysinger
Mike- Connor / Herz
Sam- Rivers / CurryNot impressive at all..............

Carter.525
05-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Not impressive at all..............

you ain't lying..

Giants5699
05-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Low risk, possible high reward. Love it. He's never really been on a team with a good coaching staff before. Maybe Coughlin and Co can bring out the best in him.

Rat_bastich
05-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Low risk, possible high reward. Love it. He's never really been on a team with a good coaching staff before. Maybe Coughlin and Co can bring out the best in him.

You mean the staff with Fewell that a majority are calling for his head 2 games into the season? That staff? I think what we have seen from Curry is most likely what we will continue to see. I think that is why the Giants and Curry agreed to a short deal. If he pans out his career is saved and he becomes marketable in his own right. If not the Giants part ways and lose nothing but a roster spot this year and they part ways next year. Hoping for the best but the pattern is already there in his case.

He has a lot to prove and a poor track record.