PDA

View Full Version : Safety Cooper Taylor Makes A Big Impact

RoanokeFan
05-10-2013, 07:51 PM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6093

Excerpt: "When looking at the Giants’ defensive huddle on the first day of rookie camp, there is one player who is impossible to ignore.

At 6’4, 228 pounds, safety Cooper Taylor seems out of place playing in the defensive backfield, but his 4.49 40-yard dash makes him fit in perfectly with his shorter, lighter counterparts in the secondary.Today, he displayed all of the physical attributes that justified the Giants picking him in the fifth round, number 152 overall. He showed a quick, steady back-pedal while dropping into coverage, fluid hips in his change of direction, and an explosive first step on his break to the ball. His closing speed put him in position to nearly make several tipped-ball interceptions in the morning 11-on-11’s.

Taylor has all of the tools to eventually play his way into a starting position on an NFL defense, but he seems tailor-made to be the third safety in Perry Fewell’s patented three-safety defense. Luckily for Taylor, he does not need to be thrown into the mix right away due to the presence of Antrelle Rolle, who has solidified the third safety spot, and whose contract expires at the end of the 2013-2014 season." Read more...

J. Tuck Rule
05-10-2013, 08:02 PM

Excerpt: "When looking at the Giants’ defensive huddle on the first day of rookie camp, there is one player who is impossible to ignore.

At 6’4, 228 pounds, safety Cooper Taylor seems out of place playing in the defensive backfield, but his 4.49 40-yard dash makes him fit in perfectly with his shorter, lighter counterparts in the secondary.Today, he displayed all of the physical attributes that justified the Giants picking him in the fifth round, number 152 overall. He showed a quick, steady back-pedal while dropping into coverage, fluid hips in his change of direction, and an explosive first step on his break to the ball. His closing speed put him in position to nearly make several tipped-ball interceptions in the morning 11-on-11’s.

Taylor has all of the tools to eventually play his way into a starting position on an NFL defense, but he seems tailor-made to be the third safety in Perry Fewell’s patented three-safety defense. Luckily for Taylor, he does not need to be thrown into the mix right away due to the presence of Antrelle Rolle, who has solidified the third safety spot, and whose contract expires at the end of the 2013-2014 season." Read more...

I'm excited about this guys potential. I'm not going to put too much faith in him being a star but, I like what he could possibly bring to the table. Intriguing player.

Carter.525
05-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Man, the G Men having alot of young talent at safety.. Hill and Cooper might have to battle it out for the 3rd safety spot

BigBlue1971
05-10-2013, 08:24 PM
again great news! maybe thats why the Giants didnt draft a linebacker....looks like this guy can play there too!

RoanokeFan
05-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Man, the G Men having alot of young talent at safety.. Hill and Cooper might have to battle it out for the 3rd safety spot

TC thinks he might also be able to play "outside backer"

penguinfarmer
05-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Antrel Rolle solidifying a safety spot. That was so funny.

With Cooper, it seems as if they'll fill the MLB void through different packages. Cooper can potentially be that tampa2 LB as it's probably easier to find a safety to convert than a LB who can cover deep.

ELI_HOF_NYG
05-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Antrel Rolle solidifying a safety spot. That was so funny.

With Cooper, it seems as if they'll fill the MLB void through different packages. Cooper can potentially be that tampa2 LB as it's probably easier to find a safety to convert than a LB who can cover deep.

the funnier thing is the hatred towards rolle. this D would have been that much worse with out him last year blown coverages or not. you want to see the real antrel rolle? play him at CB and let him press.

penguinfarmer
05-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Rolle had more blown coverages than any CB, and bit on more play fakes than any LB. He's better off near the LOS or in the box. I'd rather not see him playing deep coverage.

jomo
05-10-2013, 09:43 PM
TC thinks he might also be able to play "outside backer"Like that!

ALL_OuT23
05-10-2013, 11:38 PM
looking forward to see how CT does... from the lil that ive read i like him playing some LB

ELI_HOF_NYG
05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Rolle had more blown coverages than any CB, and bit on more play fakes than any LB. He's better off near the LOS or in the box. I'd rather not see him playing deep coverage.

rolle was playing safety, not corner so the comparison is not the same. you are right, rolle is best around the LOS, that goes for coverage as well. he isnt and never was a zone guy, even in college.

RichGiants81
05-11-2013, 02:15 AM
the funnier thing is the hatred towards rolle. this D would have been that much worse with out him last year blown coverages or not. you want to see the real antrel rolle? play him at CB and let him press.
Finally someone who appreciates antrell also

Sovereign
05-11-2013, 02:33 AM
It's not hate, it's calling the truth. Rolle is awful at coverage.

Antwuan
05-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Great News!!!

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Like that!

Versatility is key

penguinfarmer
05-11-2013, 07:23 AM
rolle was playing safety, not corner so the comparison is not the same. you are right, rolle is best around the LOS, that goes for coverage as well. he isnt and never was a zone guy, even in college.

Blown coverage is blown coverage whether you're a safety or a corner. How many times had Rolle left his corners out to dry by not flattening out a receiver's route or just completely ignoring his assignment? This has been happening since his days in Arizona.

BlueSanta
05-11-2013, 07:27 AM

Well, this isn't exactly accurate either. Rolle was moved to safety originally because he wasn't cutting it as a corner. In fact, he was benched in 2007 as a corner with the Cardinals. They moved him to safety in '08.

He is better than most safeties when you put him on a guy especially in press, but I would hardly describe him as a "press guy", especially a press corner.

Furthermore, he is the highest paid player on the defense and I do think it is fair to hold him to a high standard because of that contract.

Captain Chaos
05-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Really like the size speed combo, this kid looks like a great addition!

Joe Morrison
05-11-2013, 08:51 AM
It's not hate, it's calling the truth. Rolle is awful at coverage.
If it wasn't for Rolle playing out of position all over the field the defense would have been way worse off, Rolle is a playmaker and if he gets to play where he's comfortable he will continue to lead the youngsters on defense.

Joe Morrison
05-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Blown coverage is blown coverage whether you're a safety or a corner. How many times had Rolle left his corners out to dry by not flattening out a receiver's route or just completely ignoring his assignment? This has been happening since his days in Arizona.
Career history
Arizona Cardinals (2005–2009)
New York Giants (2010–present)
Roster status: Active
Career highlights and awards
2× Pro Bowl (2009, 2010)
All-Pro (2010)
2× NFC champion (2008, 2011)
Super Bowl champion (XLVI)
NFL interception return yards season leader (2007)
First-team All-Big East (2002)
First-team All-ACC (2004)
Unanimous All-American (2004)
Career NFL statistics as of 2012
Tackles 614
Quarterback sacks 2.0
Interceptions 17

nycsportzfan
05-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Not being a huge fan of our draft overall, Cooper Taylor was one guy i was intrigued by, and liked as a sleeper prospect before the draft... The former Ga Tech S has a unique blend of size and speed for the backfield, and has a nice instinctive way about em as well.. Outside of Damontre Moore, Cooper Taylor is the 2nd player we drafted i'm most excited about.. I think Pugh will be Solid albeit not spectacular, and Hankins has some potential as a 2down run stuffer, but its Moores ability to get to the QB and Taylors instincts, size, and speed, that get me the most excited about our draft class.. I can't wait to see this kid during preseason games...

Dline83
05-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Not being a huge fan of our draft overall, Cooper Taylor was one guy i was intrigued by, and liked as a sleeper prospect before the draft... The former Ga Tech S has a unique blend of size and speed for the backfield, and has a nice instinctive way about em as well.. Outside of Damontre Moore, Cooper Taylor is the 2nd player we drafted i'm most excited about.. I think Pugh will be Solid albeit not spectacular, and Hankins has some potential as a 2down run stuffer, but its Moores ability to get to the QB and Taylors instincts, size, and speed, that get me the most excited about our draft class.. I can't wait to see this kid during preseason games...

Have to agree with just about everything that you said except I am also excited to see what Hankins can do, I have high hopes for him. That being said I too am most excited about Moore and Cooper, and honestly I am a bit more intrigued by Cooper. If they can move him all over the field and finally have the ability to take away the middle of the field for TE's or just crossing patterns I would be ecstatic. I love his combination of size and speed, and the best thing I heard from rookie mini camp yesterday was that he has an outstanding break on the ball/play and gets into positions to make interceptions out of batted balls.

ImElectric2
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
TC thinks he might also be able to play "outside backer"Honestly, I feel that may be the way the NFL is headed. With all these big receiving TEs it would seem that guys like Cooper who are big safeties might do well as LBs because now you have a dude who can run and hit. You almost need your LB to trend towards a cover skill set now so why not convert guys like this to LB? You then have a guy who can run with a TE and is as big. Just my thought on that.

joemorrisforprez
05-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Honestly, I feel that may be the way the NFL is headed. With all these big receiving TEs it would seem that guys like Cooper who are big safeties might do well as LBs because now you have a dude who can run and hit. You almost need your LB to trend towards a cover skill set now so why not convert guys like this to LB? You then have a guy who can run with a TE and is as big. Just my thought on that.

I agree....I was very high on Khaseem Greene, and Greene was a converted safety. I think in this pass-happy league, it's easier to slide from safety to linebacker than DE to LB, at least as it pertains to OLBs, especially weakside linebacker.