PDA

View Full Version : NOTEBOOK: Justin Pugh Opens At Right Tackle

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 06:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/25398/notebook-pugh-opens-at-right-tackle

Excerpt: "Justin Pugh made his Giants debut at right tackle in rookie camp.

The Giants drafted Pugh saying he can play guard, tackle or even center. But the fact that he was at right tackle during both practices on the first day of rookie camp could be an indication that Pugh may have a shot to be in the mix in the competition at right tackle.

David Diehl (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4618/david-diehl) and James Brewer (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14098/james-brewer) are expected to compete to start at the spot. But if Pugh impresses the coaches, the first-round pick could have a shot at starting.

Pugh played left tackle during his three seasons at Syracuse but began practicing at right tackle as soon as Syracuse's season ended.

"I have been working on my right tackle stance ever since then so it feels a lot better now," Pugh said of getting acclimated to the spot. "And just keep getting more and more reps, keep getting live reps against guys and as it gets better, it will get easier.

"I played some right [tackle] when I was in practice but never in a game," he added. "When I got to the Senior Bowl, played a little right guard, right tackle, so I got more and more comfortable. I played right guard in high school. But I am comfortable with the right side." Read more...

Rudyy
05-11-2013, 06:42 AM
He better start, considering he was taken with the 19th pick..

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Yes Ma'am

ashleymarie
05-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Good news. Add another starter to the list. If he continues to excel. He certainly seems to want to do his best and be better. I like this kid, so far.

BlueSanta
05-11-2013, 06:55 AM

Only 1 rookie Giant ever has started in his rookie campaign under TC, and he had to marry into the Coughlin family to get that concession.

Im not saying Pugh won't start, but people need to understand how reluctant TC is to put them in early on. Curb your early expectations.

ashleymarie
05-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Maybe Coughlin has no choice but to start him????

myles2424
05-11-2013, 07:03 AM
Only 1 rookie Giant ever has started in his rookie campaign under TC, and he had to marry into the Coughlin family to get that concession.

Im not saying Pugh won't start, but people need to understand how reluctant TC is to put them in early on. Curb your early expectations.
I'd say that since his competition is pure dog ****, if he doesn't start, there's something seriously wrong..

Cool Papa B.
05-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Does Coughlin have another daughter he can introduce Pugh to? LOL

ashleymarie
05-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Does Coughlin have another daughter he can introduce Pugh to? LOL

LOL

Rudyy
05-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Only 1 rookie Giant ever has started in his rookie campaign under TC, and he had to marry into the Coughlin family to get that concession. Im not saying Pugh won't start, but people need to understand how reluctant TC is to put them in early on. Curb your early expectations.We need a RT, it almost seems he has no choice BUT to start.

penguinfarmer
05-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Whether it's the first overall pick or the 19th overall pick, I've always considered it a luxury if your rookie did not have to start. But man do I want to see Diehl removed from the starting lineup.

giantscolombia
05-11-2013, 09:23 AM
We need a RT, it almost seems he has no choice BUT to start.
I hope you are right my bro.

I dont think I can stand watching DD
*IF HE HAS NOT IMPROVED...

Rudyy
05-11-2013, 09:26 AM
I hope you are right my lady I dont think I can stand watching DD *IF HE HAS NOT IMPROVED...He barely has competition!

Dline83
05-11-2013, 09:36 AM

I think if he doesn't start, it would only mean he needed to clean up the fundamentals of switching to RT and that we would see him eventually. I also think it is always a luxury (like another poster commented) if you can have your rookies sit and learn for a bit, I also think that takes away some of the pressure of being an instant impact player and lets them focus on the position and assignments more. That being said I do think we will see Pugh start or be elevated to a starter very soon after the season begins.

I also can not remember the last time we have had so many big bodies at camp, it will be interesting to see if any of these guys make it through the cuts, I am a fan of Herman and am really hoping he makes a good impression on the coaching staff.

jomo
05-11-2013, 10:16 AM
If he is our starter on opening day, that would be exciting and we would have upgraded 1 out of 5 slots along the OL this off season. The others, at their ages will either replicate or deteriorate from their medioce performance last year. (hard to imagine Baas, Snee, Beatty or Boothe having any additional individual upside). Maybe a slight upgrade for the overall unit with Pugh and improved depth.

Captain Chaos
05-11-2013, 10:25 AM
I would expect the G'men to kick the tires with him at RT, that said he will get a full plate of Tuck and company come pre-season training camp. That will be the truth teller! Until then all else is speculation.

G-Men Surg.
05-11-2013, 02:03 PM

I hope he doesn't fumble the ball away and gets into Tom Coughlin's dog house and ........ oh wait never mind ! : (

Rudyy
05-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I hope he doesn't fumble the ball away and gets into Tom Coughlin's dog house and ........ oh wait never mind ! : (lololol

giants8493
05-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Im not saying Pugh won't start, but people need to understand how reluctant TC is to put them in early on. Curb your early expectations.thats not true though

Eli TO Shockey
05-11-2013, 02:30 PM
I'd say that since his competition is pure dog ****, if he doesn't start, there's something seriously wrong..

+10000

Rush4Blitz2
05-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Pugh won't start day one unless someone on the line gets hurts during training camp.

jomo
05-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Pugh won't start day one unless someone on the line gets hurts during training camp.Someone getting hurt during training camp is not a pleasant thought. Starting the season with the same five that ended last season is also not pleasant.

drewz
05-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Pugh won't start day one unless someone on the line gets hurts during training camp.

I don't agree with this. Based on what Coughlin and Reese have said, it's basically Pugh's job to lose

Diehl, Brewer.. one of these bums will be gone by August

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 04:03 PM

He will if he beats them out.

hugehomer
05-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't agree with this. Based on what Coughlin and Reese have said, it's basically Pugh's job to lose

Couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact the only OL who are locks to make the team are Pugh and the four returning starters from last year.

Sovereign
05-11-2013, 04:49 PM

It's fine is a CB or a RB or a DE to not start because you rotate players. There are nickel packages for DBs and they always split duties for RBs. You don't switch out of the OL. If the dude can't beat David Diehl then how in the world can he be the 19th pick?

Coughlin and reese have said nothing about Pugh getting the job. The only thing that was said is that they expect him to be a RT. Logically yes Pugh is the day one starter. Base don how we handle young players, I doubt it. I hope to be wrong.

And lol on Brewer. For a Giants site people really hate their freaking team. Some Eagles fan trash going on here.

BlueBlitzer
05-11-2013, 05:05 PM
What if Locklear can return ?

hugehomer
05-11-2013, 05:36 PM
And lol on Brewer. For a Giants site people really hate their freaking team. Some Eagles fan trash going on here.[/QUOTE]
What sports fan likes every player on his team?

jomo
05-11-2013, 05:53 PM
He will if he beats them out.He will beat them out unless he shows some bad lapses in pass protection.

TheAnalyst
05-11-2013, 06:29 PM
We need a RT, it almost seems he has no choice BUT to start.He would start Diehl over Pugh easily. Last year Diehl was horrible and still started.

giantsfan420
05-11-2013, 06:58 PM
good. the giants were ranked top 5 in runs between the guards, and top 10 behind Beatty. We were like dead last on runs behind the RT. Pugh alleviates that Day 1. THe most important thing Pugh can do is show the coaches he can be trusted to protect Eli.

Flip Empty
05-11-2013, 07:35 PM
THe most important thing Pugh can do is show the coaches he can be trusted to protect Eli.
Or just prove he can do it better than Diehl. Shouldn't be hard.

Carter.525
05-11-2013, 07:37 PM
He would start Diehl over Pugh easily. Last year Diehl was horrible and still started.

I will pugh if Diehl is the starter

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 07:57 PM
What if Locklear can return ?

That's not looking good right now. Not a word about him and his rehab.

dakotajoe
05-11-2013, 11:20 PM
We were like dead last on runs behind the RT. Pugh alleviates that Day 1.

I really hope so.

Rat_bastich
05-12-2013, 05:33 AM
I hope he doesn't fumble the ball away and gets into Tom Coughlin's dog house and ........ oh wait never mind ! : (

At least if he does he can flip Coughlin off and not be seen because of the small arms and short baby carrot fingers.

B&RWarrior
05-12-2013, 11:04 AM
The Brewmeister will be the surprise of camp.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 11:25 AM
The Brewmeister will be the surprise of camp.

I think that's the only way Pugh doesn't start at RT.. If Brewer has a huge camp

J. Tuck Rule
05-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Exactly what I thought when reading the op.

NorwoodBlue
05-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Brewer, Snee, Bass/Boothe, Pugh, Beatty

This makes sense to me if Brewer is where JR thinks he is. It's sounded to me for a while like they expect Brewer to nail down the RT spot. I see either Baas or Boothe as the odd man out behind Pugh. Pugh has played on the left side most of his career, and he sounds like a guy who'd do best at the guard spot in the NFL.

If Brewer can' beat out Diehl then I do think Pugh plays RT; but I don't think that's their first choice.

hugehomer
05-12-2013, 11:42 AM
The reason Brewer got drafted was because he had left tackle feet. Unfortunately that is still the only thing he has going for him.

NorwoodBlue
05-12-2013, 12:45 PM
It's easy to sell Brewer short; but remember, he's a big guy who's had a strike shortened off-season, and really had an unusual first year or two in the league. The vibe seems to be there from management that they expect him to show something this year. I'm not going to write him off just yet.