PDA

View Full Version : Giants Unsure If David Wilson Will Handle Kick-Off Duties

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 03:15 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/11/new-york-giants-unsure-if-david-wilson-will-handle-kick-off-return-duties/

Excerpt: "In 2013, New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) rookie running back David Wilson (http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-wilson/) caught the eye and attention of everyone in the league with his electric speed that lead to great kick-off returns.

In Week 14 against the New Orleans Saints at MetLife Stadium, Wilson absolutely torched the New Orleans special teams unit. After the Saints had taken a 7-0 lead in the first quarter, Wilson squashed their momentum by taking the following kick-off 97 yards to the house and tying the game at 7-7.

A lot of the questions people were having about drafting Wilson seemed to evaporate with excitement, watching what the first-round draft pick could do with some space in the open field. Against New Orleans, he only had four kick off returns, but had 227 total yards with a touchdown, averaging out to 56.8 yards per return.

Wilson also had a great game running the ball as well, carrying the ball 13 times for 100 yards with two touchdowns. This could be viewed as the game that put Ahmad Bradshaw on notice with the team, as he was released from the organization in early February.

Wilson's final kick-off return numbers in 2012 were 57 returns for 1533 yards with one touchdown, averaging out to 26.9 yards per return.

With Wilson now slated to be the starting running back in 2013, the Giants aren't sure if they want their starter on kick-off duties. Giants special teams coordinator Tom Quinn (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-quinn/) told the media at the Giants rookie camp on Saturday that he thinks there may be an open competition for the job." Read more...

Carter.525
05-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Wilson is a stud returner, no doudt.. I would only put him back there in big spots..

BlueSanta
05-11-2013, 03:24 PM
In 2007 as a rookie, Bradshaw was our kick returner for almost the entire season. He was pretty good too.

However, in late November after Ward suffered an injury AB was promoted into the RB rotation and TC immediately took him off Kickoff return duty. That's a kid earning a 7th round paycheck(at the time.) It cannot see them risking a 1st rounder who will be in the rotation.

jomo
05-11-2013, 03:30 PM
I am sure. He won't be handling kick-off duties. I think lol

BigBlueAllDay
05-11-2013, 03:44 PM
No way the Giants are going to use their potential starting RB to return kicks all the time. I think Jernigan and the 3rd RB position will handle KR duties, but too early to tell.

RagTime Blue
05-11-2013, 03:54 PM
I think a lot of it depends on how much our other RB's can handle, and how good our other returners turn out to be.

We don't want to tire him out on Kickoffs, but we don't want to have poor returns either. He has the ability to hit home runs, and I'd hate to lose that.

Towards the end of the season he was returning kicks from deep in the endzone. . .he needs to stop doing that. It's useless wear and tear. Take a knee.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 03:55 PM
I am sure. He won't be handling kick-off duties. I think lol

I like no equivocation:cool:

NWKEffectElement
05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm fine with JJ handling the duties.

Toadofsteel
05-11-2013, 04:36 PM
JJ also ripped a big one himself against the Saints when Morstead got tired of Wilson and decided to squib it... just sayin'

I think it's going to come down to JJ (if he can catch a kickoff without muffing) and/or Da'Rel Scott to return...

BigBlueAllDay
05-11-2013, 07:13 PM
I think a lot of it depends on how much our other RB's can handle, and how good our other returners turn out to be.

We don't want to tire him out on Kickoffs, but we don't want to have poor returns either. He has the ability to hit home runs, and I'd hate to lose that.

Towards the end of the season he was returning kicks from deep in the endzone. . .he needs to stop doing that. It's useless wear and tear. Take a knee.

Wear and Tear...exactly. He does have the ability to hit home runs, but obviously can't solely rely on that to win games. If he becomes too dangerous at KR, teams will eventually just force the Giants to take the ball at the 40 like what most teams did against Devin Hester in his prime. (I'm not saying he's the next Devin Hester but you get the point.). David Wilson's true value is going to be what he can do for the offense, which is what the Giants spent a first-round pick on him for.

penguinfarmer
05-11-2013, 07:45 PM
In the grand scheme of things, I take this as a good thing.

giantsfan420
05-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Wear and Tear...exactly. He does have the ability to hit home runs, but obviously can't solely rely on that to win games. If he becomes too dangerous at KR, teams will eventually just force the Giants to take the ball at the 40 like what most teams did against Devin Hester in his prime. (I'm not saying he's the next Devin Hester but you get the point.). David Wilson's true value is going to be what he can do for the offense, which is what the Giants spent a first-round pick on him for.pretty hard to get more valuable than a player who guarantees ur offense starts at the 40 yd line every KO. if that was the case, TC would prob just start AB2 and keep Wilson at KO duties...

if your starting at ur 40 yd line, pretty much 2 first downs gets u 3 points. just saying, it seemed like u implied teams conceding kick offs and letting us stat @ our 40 isn't a huuuuge deal...it is and TC would prob be willing to trade off any player on the team to get that starting position guaranteed.

BigBlueAllDay
05-11-2013, 10:09 PM
pretty hard to get more valuable than a player who guarantees ur offense starts at the 40 yd line every KO. if that was the case, TC would prob just start AB2 and keep Wilson at KO duties...

if your starting at ur 40 yd line, pretty much 2 first downs gets u 3 points. just saying, it seemed like u implied teams conceding kick offs and letting us stat @ our 40 isn't a huuuuge deal...it is and TC would prob be willing to trade off any player on the team to get that starting position guaranteed.

It'd be great if Andre Brown and the 3rd RB could suffice for the running game, then yes by all means put David Wilson at KR. The reality is that Andre Brown is so injury-prone, it'll be an absolute success just for him to make it through the season and we don't know who our 3rd RB is going to be yet.
"if your starting at ur 40 yd line, pretty much 2 first downs gets u 3 points." is easier said than done. Notice how the Bears never won a Superbowl with Hester at KR and couldn't take advantage of that 40-yd line start on a consistant basis because their offense was so bad, that's how teams literally beat them including TC's Giants. Good discussion btw.

gmen0820
05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
If he could guarantee the forty yard line, then he'd be worth his weight in gold, and justify his draft status many times over. That's unreasonable though, especially with all the touchbacks and other innovative ways to keep the ball out of his hands on kickoffs. That said, I wouldn't want to keep him off offense. I just hope he can avoid the big hits, weird falls, and stay healthy.

slipknottin
05-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Jernigan is an above average KR returner too, though he has only a few returns. Perhaps he can continue improving at it.

Toadofsteel
05-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Jernigan is an above average KR returner too, though he has only a few returns. Perhaps he can continue improving at it.

I think Jernigan is going to break out in some fashion next season, either as a KR or a WR. The only real strike against him is that he's behind Cruz on the depth chart. He does everything he can to get on the field, and makes the most of whatever opportunity he gets. Saying we want to get rid of Jernigan is like saying we want to get rid of Banks because we have Van Pelt, or JPP because we have Osi...

Broadway Blue
05-11-2013, 10:58 PM
I am glad they are thinking twice of using Wilson for kickoff returns

miked1958
05-11-2013, 11:15 PM
pretty hard to get more valuable than a player who guarantees ur offense starts at the 40 yd line every KO. if that was the case, TC would prob just start AB2 and keep Wilson at KO duties...if your starting at ur 40 yd line, pretty much 2 first downs gets u 3 points. just saying, it seemed like u implied teams conceding kick offs and letting us stat @ our 40 isn't a huuuuge deal...it is and TC would prob be willing to trade off any player on the team to get that starting position guaranteed.thats what I'm saying. He gives the offense a much shorter field to work with everytime he touches the ball. I know u can't risk your starting RB like that but you don't replace that type production. We've been waiting for a long time for a guy like that to return kicks. We have suffered through a lot of bums that put us in deep holes to start on offense. Now we just go back to mediocre guys? I guess they could try out a bunch of guys and see if someone can do it. Cox, Randall , who knows

05-11-2013, 11:54 PM
[ I would only put him back there in big spots..]

I see this also, ..He is a home run threat 15-20 times a game from the backfield ...more important than 4 kick offs per

Flip Empty
05-12-2013, 12:12 AM
He is a home run threat 15-20 times a game from the backfield ...more important than 4 kick offs per
Agreed. That's what he was drafted for.

NorwoodBlue
05-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Having Jason Seahorn return kicks was a great idea until..............

middlecountrygiantsfan
05-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Having Jason Seahorn return kicks was a great idea until..............

These kick return discussions always come back to Seahorn.
Id say that was a lesson to take to heart. JJ or Scott need to earn a roster spot. This would be the way to do it.

Shockeystays08
05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
I think Jernigan is going to break out in some fashion next season, either as a KR or a WR. The only real strike against him is that he's behind Cruz on the depth chart. He does everything he can to get on the field, and makes the most of whatever opportunity he gets. Saying we want to get rid of Jernigan is like saying we want to get rid of Banks because we have Van Pelt, or JPP because we have Osi...

Well stated!

appodictic
05-12-2013, 07:08 PM
The odds are 0 of him full time returning kicks. We have Wilson and Brown as our starting RB. Brown is injury prone, meaning Wilson is our "depth", ow and we drafted someone 7th round.... So JJ gets a battlefield promotion to kick return duty. Congrats.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 07:11 PM
The odds are 0 of him full time returning kicks. We have Wilson and Brown as our starting RB. Brown is injury prone, meaning Wilson is our "depth", ow and we drafted someone 7th round.... So JJ gets a battlefield promotion to kick return duty. Congrats.

They will try other players back there throughout camp. Cruz, Randle, and Scott, have all been looked at back there.

thegreatone
05-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Wilson is a stud returner, no doudt.. I would only put him back there in big spots..This. Only if we need a major momentum shift would I even consider it. He is way to valuable with browns Injury history

KidA
05-12-2013, 11:54 PM
I can understand their ambivalence. Obviously we don't want Wilson to get hurt, but he was just so good back there. He changed a few games from that position.

ALLnygIN
05-13-2013, 12:06 AM
He's ridiculously good at it, but his job this year will to be carry a good part of the load as RB.. he's being promoted, but man I was always excited when the other team was kicking off becuase you always knew he had a chance to break one. It was exciting something we haven't had for a while I liked it, but I can understand if they take him out of returning last thing we want is a seahorn incident.