PDA

View Full Version : Nassib's First Impression Better Than Eli's

Pages : [1] 2

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/05/nassibs-first-impression-better-than-elis

Excerpt: "In 2004, Eli Manning’s first practice at his first rookie minicamp with the Giants was epically awful. When it was over, the best thing Tom Coughlin could think to say of his lost-looking future franchise quarterback was that “He had excellent huddle command.”

Ryan Nassib, Coughlin’s latest rookie quarterback, has had a much better opening weekend than that.

“First day out he did a pretty good job of mastering just the nomenclature, the terminology,” Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. “He didn’t seem overly confused by what we’re trying to do.”

Nassib, the Giants’ fourth-round pick out of Syracuse, looked pretty crisp in his two days of drills. Unlike Manning, who famously had a pass knocked down by a blocking dummy during one of his first workouts, Nassib seemed confident in the pocket and had few errant throws.

“I try to bring the playbook to wherever I’m at, whenever I can get my nose in it and read it and just understand it,” Nassib said. “I was fortunate where I kind of had an experience like this when I went to the Senior Bowl, where I had to learn a playbook in a week. So I kind of picked up some good study habits.” Read more...

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM
OK Eli, the clock is ticking old man :o

TheBookOfEli
05-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Eli needs to be benched by week 8 for Nassib.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Eli needs to be benched by week 8 for Nassib.

That long?

fletch842
05-11-2013, 04:34 PM
That long?
perhaps he'll leave in a huff. Who wants to be a glorified babysitter for the next franchise QB?

Rudyy
05-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Calling Morehead, calling Harooni

giant-4-life
05-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Calling Morehead, calling Harooni

LOL...

Well we have alot of upside with this Nassib kid. If he can make that typical college to pro transition... he might do well.

Out of Exile
05-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Nassib will be a G

Cloud57
05-11-2013, 05:01 PM
People are paying too much attention to this guy, as of right now he's a non factor in terms of making the playoffs or going to the SB

G-Men4Supes
05-11-2013, 05:18 PM
People are paying too much attention to this guy, as of right now he's a non factor in terms of making the playoffs or going to the SB

You don't know that. In 5 of 9 seasons in the Eli-Coughlin era, the Giants have either made or missed the playoffs by a single game in the standings, or by a tie-breaker. If Eli goes down for 1 game or 8 games, Nassib could well be the key factor when it comes to making the playoffs.

P_Simms_#11
05-11-2013, 05:48 PM
First Giants home loss.

"Nas-sib! Nas-sib! Nas-sib!" ;)

Giantslb66
05-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Eli = Trade Bait

Harooni
05-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Sadly I knew all along Nas was a better prospect than Eli and at a much better Value , kudos to the coaching staff for bringing along Eli this far.

RagTime Blue
05-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Eli is one of the best in the game, and the greatest Giant QB ever. But I don't understand why it's sacrilege to hope that Nassib could be even better than Eli.

And if at some point he's better, who do you trade?

Dline83
05-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Sadly I knew all along Nas was a better prospect than Eli and at a much better Value , kudos to the coaching staff for bringing along Eli this far.

You really are always good for a laugh.

TheAnalyst
05-11-2013, 06:24 PM
What happens of Nassib is the next Tom Brady, sitting behind Eli (Bledsoe) or Aaron Rodgers to Brett Favre? What if he shows he can handle it all in his rookie year? What if he is actually better then Eli? Would his organization have the stones to remove Eli for the younger, better QB or would they stick with the old man struggling?

Flip Empty
05-11-2013, 06:24 PM
And if at some point he's better, who do you trade?
If it came to that - Eli.

Harooni
05-11-2013, 06:32 PM
What happens of Nassib is the next Tom Brady, sitting behind Eli (Bledsoe) or Aaron Rodgers to Brett Favre? What if he shows he can handle it all in his rookie year? What if he is actually better then Eli? Would his organization have the stones to remove Eli for the younger, better QB or would they stick with the old man struggling?

what happens is we have a huge bargaining tool when it comes to re-signing Eli. His agent might command upwards of 15mil a season to extend eli after 2015. we may see Eli come down on his price or test FA which i doubt Eli really wants to do seeing that Eli seems more of a system guy than his own great talent.

Flip Empty
05-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Eli seems more of a system guy than his own great talent.
You're saying that Gilbride is the only reason Eli is any good?

Carter.525
05-11-2013, 06:40 PM
First Giants home loss.

"Nas-sib! Nas-sib! Nas-sib!" ;)

this ain't the Jets..

Dline83
05-11-2013, 06:56 PM
This thread is a bit ridiculous.

First off I would be nothing but ecstatic if Nassib turned into our next franchise QB in about five years, give or take a year, but to turn two showings at a rookie mini camp, where he threw an interception and clearly shows signs of needing to work on fundamentals and footwork per some of the images of him throwing without having his feet placed correctly, or even on the ground for that matter, is in my opinion just not realistic.

Coughlin even stated in his Q and A that they were simply working on the basic areas of the game, i.e. breaking the huddle and learning the cadence. There is also the fact that Nassib is throwing to two of his old Syracuse teammates that would increase his comfort level as well as being brought into a team with little to no pressure on him to become the next guy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Nassib and think he has every chance to succeed in the NFL but I do not think two days at a rookie mini camp mean anything. I think we should all be excited that we got him in the 4th, which I am, and excited that he gets to develop and learn behind Eli, but in no way do I think reading into his showing at a rookie mini camp means anything.

I think it says more that his college coach passed him over not, once, not twice, not three times, but five times. If he was such an unbelievable talent why wouldn't Marrone take him with one of those later picks, like the Redskins did with Cousins, just to compete with Manuel? They drafted Duke Williams out of Nevada Mountain West in the fourth round with the 8th pick who had a grade of 67.7 compared to Nassib's 78.7 grade. There are reasons why he was not selected until the fourth round.

Not to mention that this article was from the Daily News and mentions nothing from day two and not one stat line on completed passes or anything of that nature, to me this is an article very reminiscent of another QB that was in the NY area last year.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 07:34 PM

This is the first QB since Eli was signed to have even a remote chance to make a difference. We have been very fortunate that Eli has been so durable and it's really not something we can continue to take for granted. I think the attention has less to do with Nassib than it does with Eli.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 07:44 PM
This thread is a bit ridiculous.

First off I would be nothing but ecstatic if Nassib turned into our next franchise QB in about five years, give or take a year, but to turn two showings at a rookie mini camp, where he threw an interception and clearly shows signs of needing to work on fundamentals and footwork per some of the images of him throwing without having his feet placed correctly, or even on the ground for that matter, is in my opinion just not realistic.

Coughlin even stated in his Q and A that they were simply working on the basic areas of the game, i.e. breaking the huddle and learning the cadence. There is also the fact that Nassib is throwing to two of his old Syracuse teammates that would increase his comfort level as well as being brought into a team with little to no pressure on him to become the next guy.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Nassib and think he has every chance to succeed in the NFL but I do not think two days at a rookie mini camp mean anything. I think we should all be excited that we got him in the 4th, which I am, and excited that he gets to develop and learn behind Eli, but in no way do I think reading into his showing at a rookie mini camp means anything.

I think it says more that his college coach passed him over not, once, not twice, not three times, but five times. If he was such an unbelievable talent why wouldn't Marrone take him with one of those later picks, like the Redskins did with Cousins, just to compete with Manuel? They drafted Duke Williams out of Nevada Mountain West in the fourth round with the 8th pick who had a grade of 67.7 compared to Nassib's 78.7 grade. There are reasons why he was not selected until the fourth round.

Not to mention that this article was from the Daily News and mentions nothing from day two and not one stat line on completed passes or anything of that nature, to me this is an article very reminiscent of another QB that was in the NY area last year.

Like almost everything else the media reports, it's just an opinion

penguinfarmer
05-11-2013, 07:46 PM
The more proNassib propaganda, the better draft pick compensation. I heard Ryan can actually throw 80 yard passes left-handed while running underneath and catching it himself.

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 07:48 PM
The more proNassib propaganda, the better draft pick compensation. I heard Ryan can actually throw 80 yard passes left-handed while running underneath and catching it himself.

Well who can't do that?

penguinfarmer
05-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Well who can't do that?

Raiders quarterbacks. They should cough up three 1sts and a 3rd.

GoDeep80
05-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Gotta say. Nassib throws a darn pretty ball if I've ever seen on. Tight spiral with nice zip. Looks like ones the come from Aaron Rodgers

Flip Empty
05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Well who can't do that?

Eli, of course. Noodle arm/lack of muscle definition etc

RoanokeFan
05-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Eli, of course. Noodle arm/lack of muscle definition etc

Oy

joemorrisforprez
05-11-2013, 11:09 PM
When Nassib wins his 2nd Super Bowl MVP, the comparisons will mean something.

Diamondring
05-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Nassib needs to keep it up. Keep on developing no matter what til it is his turn to shine and it could be sooner than we think. I think that if Eli does not play up to his potential, then it should be time for his early replacement. Just jokin or am I?

bearbryant
05-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Does anyone really believe Nassib is competition for Eli?
Come on, man!

Rat_bastich
05-12-2013, 03:42 AM
I heard the Giants only drafted Eli so he could hold the fort down while they waited for the 13-14 year old Nassib to get through college. True story....

TheAnalyst
05-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Does anyone really believe Nassib is competition for Eli?
Come on, man!

Yes and no. I think Nassib could push Eli because honestly, Eli has his ups and big time downs during the year. We all know this. Eli had a stretch last year where he didnt throw a TD for 3 or 4 games. That was when the whole "tired arm" thing happened. But is there a chance in hell Coughlin or anyone else would tell Eli to eat pine and watch Nassib play? Absolutely not. No matter if Nassib is 10x better then Eli, he would still be sitting behind Eli. Like the whole Favre and Rodgers thing. Aaron never would start in front of Favre while he was there. The organization just wouldnt allow it. Also the Reese comment of "I hope he never plays". Way to move up to draft the kid and hope he never plays....

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I heard the Giants only drafted Eli so he could hold the fort down while they waited for the 13-14 year old Nassib to get through college. True story....

:eek:

Mercury
05-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Yes, I recall reading that National Inquirer story too!

TennisMenace
05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm hoping Nassib can make Carr expendable. I really don't want to carry 3 QBs

ashleymarie
05-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Since we don't know why Nassib was selected in the draft, it's a wait and see. But in fairness to Eli, Nassib has not had his feet held to the fire yet. Nor has he had his body slammed to the earth 6 or 7 times in a game. Eli has endurance and stamina. Nassib may have this also. But it's "wait and see".

ashleymarie
05-12-2013, 10:38 AM

LOL

ashleymarie
05-12-2013, 10:42 AM

oh, I believe you .........pinnocchio. LOL

ashleymarie
05-12-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm hoping Nassib can make Carr expendable. I really don't want to carry 3 QBs

Agreed.

Rudyy
05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Who else in the league has 3..count them, 3 elite QB's on the same team!

ashleymarie
05-12-2013, 11:27 AM

LOL Rudy.

NorwoodBlue
05-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I can't see TC starting this season with only Eli and Nassib, I doubt Carr's going anywhere this season. A lot of people are underrating Nassib, he's the real deal, and very well could be Eli's eventual replacement. He'll be an understudy until Eli goes down or retires; but given a year or so, he could develop into a very good NFL QB. Next year, if Nassib shows good development, I seriously doubt Carr's around.

I don't get the big deal people are making of keeping three QB, so you lose a special teamer, So what? Did anyone really think that Ojomo was a vital cog in the system? He occupied a roster spot all last season, as have guys like Barden, and Moss, etc. Is it real going to hurt anything by canning your worst special teamer and keeping three QB? I doubt it.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 11:58 AM

the Jets have 5..

ashleymarie
05-12-2013, 12:18 PM
the Jets have 5..

Are they elite? :)

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Are they elite? :)

no

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 12:29 PM
the Jets have 5..

Yes, but they're not really in the NFL :p

JB456
05-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Yes and no. I think Nassib could push Eli because honestly, Eli has his ups and big time downs during the year. We all know this. Eli had a stretch last year where he didnt throw a TD for 3 or 4 games. That was when the whole "tired arm" thing happened. But is there a chance in hell Coughlin or anyone else would tell Eli to eat pine and watch Nassib play? Absolutely not. No matter if Nassib is 10x better then Eli, he would still be sitting behind Eli. Like the whole Favre and Rodgers thing. Aaron never would start in front of Favre while he was there. The organization just wouldnt allow it. Also the Reese comment of "I hope he never plays". Way to move up to draft the kid and hope he never plays....
Eh I understand where you are comming from but do you think Eli needs a push? It apears that Eli is one of the most hard working qbs in the game. He has a great work effort and we know what he can bring. Who knows , having a talented qb behind him might have a negative effect. Everyone isn't built the same. Sometimes people need to be pushed but sometimes people have negative results if they get pushed. Truth is, eli has been inconsistent throughout his career mixing brilliant qb play with average. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a circus when eli experiences his ups and downs.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Eh I understand where you are comming from but do you think Eli needs a push? It apears that Eli is one of the most hard working qbs in the game. He has a great work effort and we know what he can bring. Who knows , having a talented qb behind him might have a negative effect. Everyone isn't built the same. Sometimes people need to be pushed but sometimes people have negative results if they get pushed. Truth is, eli has been inconsistent throughout his career mixing brilliant qb play with average. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a circus when eli experiences his ups and downs.

They're not pushing Eli, they are looking beyond Eli which is a smart thing to do. Eli knows he can improve and will where he can. He's not being replaced any time soon.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Yes, but they're not really in the NFL :p

;)

Giants5699
05-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Nassib should be starting week 1. Trade Eli for the Ram's entire 2014 draft picks plus a 1st and 2nd in 2015 /red

NYG 5
05-12-2013, 05:48 PM
i'm not surprised. Eli was like a guy they knew could be great, but had never picked up the football before. physically one of the rawest QBs ever taken out of college.

Roosevelt
05-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I was unaware Eli had such a rough start. Throwing the ball into a blocking dummy?

Nassib, the Giants’ fourth-round pick out of Syracuse, looked pretty crisp in his two days of drills. Unlike Manning, who famously had a pass knocked down by a blocking dummy during one of his first workouts, Nassib seemed confident in the pocket and had few errant throws.

Harooni
05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
I was unaware Eli had such a rough start. Throwing the ball into a blocking dummy?

Eli got his balls batted more times than Ron Jeremy

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
i'm not surprised. Eli was like a guy they knew could be great, but had never picked up the football before. physically one of the rawest QBs ever taken out of college.

What?

gmen0820
05-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Eli got his balls batted more times than Ron Jeremyhttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uz1WXc35e_0/UGnVpGadmnI/AAAAAAAADOs/a6oyh-RvA4Q/s1600/spit-take.gif

Drez
05-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Are they elite? :)For Arena League.

joemorrisforprez
05-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm going to come out and say it: Nassib is an elite 4th round backup QB.

Please, no need to thank me.

nygfanmaybe
05-13-2013, 07:03 AM
It's funny how the anti-Eli crowd...the crowd that has been forced to grin and bear it while he is in NY...the crowd that was so happy when they thought they had him and TC gone...

...it's funny

How they don't come out and say it but you can just tell from the tone of their posts that they want Eli out and the kid...or anyone for that matter...to be the new NYG QB.

SweetZombieJesus
05-13-2013, 08:37 AM

That's why they panicked and brought in Kurt Warner. The vets on the team (Strahan, Tiki) still thought they could contend, 3 seasons removed from a SB appearance, and didn't want to wait around for Eli to mature.

GameTime
05-13-2013, 09:12 AM
a good first impression is better than not....
but its only the begining

fansince69
05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
That's why they panicked and brought in Kurt Warner. The vets on the team (Strahan, Tiki) still thought they could contend, 3 seasons removed from a SB appearance, and didn't want to wait around for Eli to mature.And as it turned out it was Tiki who did not wait long enough

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 10:22 AM
It's funny how the anti-Eli crowd...the crowd that has been forced to grin and bear it while he is in NY...the crowd that was so happy when they thought they had him and TC gone...

...it's funny

How they don't come out and say it but you can just tell from the tone of their posts that they want Eli out and the kid...or anyone for that matter...to be the new NYG QB.

Just calm down for God's sake.
Lets keep the hysterics to a minimum.

TCHOF
05-13-2013, 10:24 AM

...it's funny

When was there ever a chance that Eli would be gone with TC????

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
When was there ever a chance that Eli would be gone with TC????
As I said.......hysterics.

fansince69
05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
As I said.......hysterics.we all know you are not allowed to say anything on this board that does not imply that Eli is the greatest QB to ever put on a uniform .....

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
we all know you are not allowed to say anything on this board that does not imply that Eli is the greatest QB to ever put on a uniform .....
I just don't know what the "anti-Eli crowd" is.

Are there actually supposed to be posters here who want Eli off the team? If so, I've never seen them.

More hysterics from misguided souls.

fansince69
05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I just don't know what the "anti-Eli crowd" is.

Are there actually supposed to be posters here who want Eli off the team? If so, I've never seen them.

More hysterics from misguided souls.I do not believe I have EVER heard anyone say that they want him gone....but as you say ...any slight to Eli is us wanting him gone

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I do not believe I have EVER heard anyone say that they want him gone....but as you say ...any slight to Eli is us wanting him gone
Clearly .......I guess.

egyptian420
05-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Gotta say. Nassib throws a darn pretty ball if I've ever seen on. Tight spiral with nice zip. Looks like ones the come from Aaron Rodgerstottaly agree, when I was watching his practice I thought the same thing, he throws a very tight spiral

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 10:53 AM

...it's funny

This thread was started because of a pro football writer, not the "anti-Eli crowd." After all there is no anti-Eli crowd. There is however, an anti-Eli cultist crowd but you should not confuse the two.

Every Giants player gets treated the same in this 'what have you done for me lately' business. Just look at all the anti-Cruz comments for proof.

As a long time fan, I find it puzzling to watch a small faction of our fan base behave in such a way. What ever happened to "team first, team last, team always?"

ryan12
05-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm hoping Nassib can make Carr expendable. I really don't want to carry 3 QBs+1

egyptian420
05-13-2013, 10:56 AM
What happens of Nassib is the next Tom Brady, sitting behind Eli (Bledsoe) or Aaron Rodgers to Brett Favre? What if he shows he can handle it all in his rookie year? What if he is actually better then Eli? Would his organization have the stones to remove Eli for the younger, better QB or would they stick with the old man struggling?I love Eli as much as any GB fan loved Favre, but when the backup is clearly better than the starter, it's time to make the switch. If things eventually unfold that way, I am absolutely for making the switch to the better QB.

ny06
05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that in Eli's first rookie practice he was slated as the franchise QB, 1st overall pick in the draft. The younger brother of Peyton Manning, I can only imagine that he wanted to do his best and show that he was worthy of the top pick. The pressure must have been immense in his first practice.
What kind of pressure does Nassib have? His primary concern is making the team as a backup QB.

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that in Eli's first rookie practice he was slated as the franchise QB, 1st overall pick in the draft. The younger brother of Peyton Manning, I can only imagine that he wanted to do his best and show that he was worthy of the top pick. The pressure must have been immense in his first practice.
What kind of pressure does Nassib have? His primary concern is making the team as a backup QB.
Trying to make the team, (in other words) playing for a chance to simply have a career in football is tremendous pressure. Wouldn't you agree?
I would even suggest that the sheer survival nature of it is far greater than trying to be "impressive" as a #1 pick.

ny06
05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Trying to make the team, (in other words) playing for a chance to simply have a career in football is tremendous pressure. Wouldn't you agree?
I would even suggest that the sheer survival nature of it is far greater than trying to be "impressive" as a #1 pick.
He has to beat out David (deer in headlights) Carr thats not even enough pressure to pop a zit.
Also Jerry Reese traded up to grab this kid, so in other words Nassib isn't going anywhere.

gumby74
05-13-2013, 11:27 AM

...it's funny

This thread was started because of a pro football writer, not the "anti-Eli crowd." After all there is no anti-Eli crowd. There is however, an anti-Eli cultist crowd but you should not confuse the two.

Every Giants player gets treated the same in this 'what have you done for me lately' business. Just look at all the anti-Cruz comments for proof.

As a long time fan, I find it puzzling to watch a small faction of our fan base behave in such a way. What ever happened to "team first, team last, team always?"

He doesn't understand team above player. He's clearly an Eli fan first and foremost and pretty much admitted as such a while back. Heck, his user name is "nygfanmaybe"

egyptian420
05-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Heck, his user name is "nygfanmaybe"LOL

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 11:58 AM

I always thought one of the greatest attributes Eli had was his ability to remain focused and not getting rattled.

jomo
05-13-2013, 12:01 PM
I always thought one of the greatest attributes Eli had was his ability to remain focused and not getting rattled.+1 I'd also add to that his ability to get past a bad throw, bad series or bad game. The guy has no memory..........in a good way. Everything is about the next play, series or game.

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
He has to beat out David (deer in headlights) Carr thats not even enough pressure to pop a zit.
Also Jerry Reese traded up to grab this kid, so in other words Nassib isn't going anywhere.
This is your argument?...Really?

If I am understanding you correctly, you are claiming that a possible explanation of Eli's early struggled in his first day in mini camps was that he had the pressure of a #1 pick. Then you claim that the pressure on Nassib is far less because he should be able to beat out David Carr and the fact that if he doesn't, he'll be selling insurance plays no part.
I find this interesting since you also claim that since we moved up 6 spots in the 4th round shoul dgive him more assurance than the fact that we traded our 1st round pick, the next season's first round pick and a 4th round pick for Eli. But I guess Eli had no reason to feel secure about that.

Have I summarized your argument correctly?

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 12:15 PM
He doesn't understand team above player. He's clearly an Eli fan first and foremost and pretty much admitted as such a while back. Heck, his user name is "nygfanmaybe"

Yeah but we are starting our 10th year together.

You would think after all this time we would be able to at least flirt with other quarterbacks no?

Dline83
05-13-2013, 12:25 PM

If I am understanding you correctly, you are claiming that a possible explanation of Eli's early struggled in his first day in mini camps was that he had the pressure of a #1 pick. Then you claim that the pressure on Nassib is far less because he should be able to beat out David Carr and the fact that if he doesn't, he'll be selling insurance plays no part.
I find this interesting since you also claim that since we moved up 6 spots in the 4th round shoul dgive him more assurance than the fact that we traded our 1st round pick, the next season's first round pick and a 4th round pick for Eli. But I guess Eli had no reason to feel secure about that.

Would you consider yourself a Simms cultist?

"Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post

I'm an army of 1.
My mission......To keep the glorious memory of Phil Simms fresh in the minds of my fellow MB posters....and to make sure that we all be realistic about Eli.......... That he's a fine player but not one of the greats of this era."

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Would you consider yourself a Simms cultist?

"Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post

I'm an army of 1.
My mission......To keep the glorious memory of Phil Simms fresh in the minds of my fellow MB posters....and to make sure that we all be realistic about Eli.......... That he's a fine player but not one of the greats of this era."

....and proud of it!

fansince69
05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
....and proud of it!I am not sure you are an army of 1...since in this subject I have agreed with you on multiple occasions

ny06
05-13-2013, 01:07 PM

You couldn't be more wrong, I'm quite impressed how off you're from my comment. The original comment stems from my opinion why Eli played so poorly in his first practice. The weight of being the franchise QB, the 1st overall draft pick, the younger brother of one of the best players in the league. Eli now is very cool under pressure, but I bet the first practice he was a bit nervous and maybe even scared to make a mistake.
But somehow the topic is brought up that Nassib (a 4th round pick) had a great and better first day practice to Eli's first practice. Maybe I should have just said "who gives a ****" does Nassib have as much pressure on his shoulders as Eli did? If you think so please sign off the computer immediately and rethink your thoughts.
Does the kid have "some" pressure? Of course, but his main objective is to learn the offense and beat out a player who is shell shocked (David Carr) and where did I say Nassib will be selling insurance if he doesn't make the team? I believe in my opinion he has the job, he just needs to show it on the field and prove it. Why I think Nassib has the job? Because his name is David Carr, a player who even at garbage time can't even make an adequate throw without staring at the defensive line.

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 01:13 PM
I am not sure you are an army of 1...since in this subject I have agreed with you on multiple occasions
Not about the Army of 1 question. My comment was about being an Eli Cultist.
And I welcome all comers.

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 01:14 PM
You couldn't be more wrong, I'm quite impressed how off you're from my comment. The original comment stems from my opinion why Eli played so poorly in his first practice. The weight of being the franchise QB, the 1st overall draft pick, the younger brother of one of the best players in the league. Eli now is very cool under pressure, but I bet the first practice he was a bit nervous and maybe even scared to make a mistake.
But somehow the topic is brought up that Nassib (a 4th round pick) had a great and better first day practice to Eli's first practice. Maybe I should have just said "who gives a ****" does Nassib have as much pressure on his shoulders as Eli did? If you think so please sign off the computer immediately and rethink your thoughts.
Does the kid have "some" pressure? Of course, but his main objective is to learn the offense and beat out a player who is shell shocked (David Carr) and where did I say Nassib will be selling insurance if he doesn't make the team? I believe in my opinion he has the job, he just needs to show it on the field and prove it. Why I think Nassib has the job? Because his name is David Carr, a player who even at garbage time can't even make an adequate throw without staring at the defensive line.

Are you kidding? I'm just arguing about anything until there is real football to talk about.
Who cares who has more pressure and why in camp.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 01:18 PM
I am not sure you are an army of 1...since in this subject I have agreed with you on multiple occasions

This could be your first mistake :)

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 01:20 PM
This could be your first mistake :)
That's just very hurtful RF.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 01:21 PM
That's just very hurtful RF.

I am sure you will recover in no time

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
I am sure you will recover in no time
I think my tears might short out the keyboard.

Rudyy
05-13-2013, 01:22 PM
I think my tears might short out the keyboard.That would be a sight to see.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 01:26 PM
I think my tears might short out the keyboard.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcLZd7qXrQYbEHVMHX4uOcCxDzCuvS6 nfSm2JlikZ3BmEuLAy2kw

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 01:27 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcLZd7qXrQYbEHVMHX4uOcCxDzCuvS6 nfSm2JlikZ3BmEuLAy2kw

Morehead is a deeply sensitive soul.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Morehead is a deeply sensitive soul.

We will have to keep that in mind.

keyofgmen
05-13-2013, 02:10 PM
....and proud of it!

I remember screaming at Simms, just like I scream at Eli. Some things never change!

rebelfan1966
05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Before anyone crowns this kid, shouldn't we at least see him play in one pro football game?

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Before anyone crowns this kid, shouldn't we at least see him play in one pro football game?
Who has "crowned" him?

rebelfan1966
05-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Running around half speed with no pads is far more different than playing in a real NFL game. I hope he pans out, takes over the backup spot, and in time takes over the starting spot.... but for all we know, he may not be that guy. ..... so what, he knew some terminology. Both he and TC do have a Syracuse connection for crying out loud. So he can break the huddle... that and $5 can get you some coffee at Starbucks. While I remain hopeful he turns into a prodigy, I think he is getting over hyped at the moment. That's all I'm saying.

sharick88
05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Well our first impression of Eli was him getting obliterated by an eagles' DE in a game that was already decided. Not too difficult to beat that. A whole lot of nothing when someone says that Nassib was initially more impressive than Eli Manning

rebelfan1966
05-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Thank You...

Shimmy
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm liking the first impressions and reports out of this kid. Never know, we may have a little Drew Brees Jr. on our hands (with the tight spirals and zip on his throws).

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Running around half speed with no pads is far more different than playing in a real NFL game. I hope he pans out, takes over the backup spot, and in time takes over the starting spot.... but for all we know, he may not be that guy. ..... so what, he knew some terminology. Both he and TC do have a Syracuse connection for crying out loud. So he can break the huddle... that and $5 can get you some coffee at Starbucks. While I remain hopeful he turns into a prodigy, I think he is getting over hyped at the moment. That's all I'm saying.
Yes of course....You hope he pans out. Just as long as he doesn't pan out "too well".

sharick88
05-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Thank You...

You're welcome

Dline83
05-13-2013, 03:21 PM
....and proud of it!

It is a bit funny that you get so riled up about the Eli cultist when you clearly have no problem with being a Simms cultist.

I think the team always comes first (and i think most people on these boards also feel that way), and thus any actions that improve the team would be a positive development. That being said people have favorite players, they always have, and always will, and it doesn't mean that they are looking through blinders, and even if some are, the same could be said about you and your favoritism of Simms.

My one thought about Eli is don't look a gift horse in the mouth. There are a lot of teams that have been trying to find a franchise qb to build around for years with little to no luck, except Andrew I suppose hehe.

Eli is definitely my favorite offensive player to ever suit up for the Giants, but that is just my opinion and even with that being said I am all for team fist. If Nassib one day is the better option I would be all for starting him.

gumby74
05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
It is a bit funny that you get so riled up about the Eli cultist when you clearly have no problem with being a Simms cultist.

I think the team always comes first (and i think most people on these boards also feel that way), and thus any actions that improve the team would be a positive development. That being said people have favorite players, they always have, and always will, and it doesn't mean that they are looking through blinders, and even if some are, the same could be said about you and your favoritism of Simms.

My one thought about Eli is don't look a gift horse in the mouth. There are a lot of teams that have been trying to find a franchise qb to build around for years with little to no luck, except Andrew I suppose hehe.

Eli is definitely my favorite offensive player to ever suit up for the Giants, but that is just my opinion and even with that being said I am all for team fist. If Nassib one day is the better option I would be all for starting him.

Difference is that MS openly admits his "cultism". Eli fan boys actually think they're being objective.

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 03:28 PM

The only thing I can tell you about this is that I don't call people names if they don't think Phil was a great QB.
The "Eli Cultists" I tend to refer to are the folks that call you some kind of hater because you think that Eli is "very good" but not great.

Its a little different.

And my love for Phil has to do with a lot of things, including the fact that he gave me a winning team for the first time in my life as a Giants fan. I was an adult before I saw a Giants playoff game. And Phil gave me my first Giants championship.

Harooni
05-13-2013, 03:34 PM
whats funny is some of us are labeled Anti -eli because we called out his up and down play his short comings over the years and do not think he is a HOF QB. but most of us never said he was bust never said replace him with so and so. we knew he was getting better by the year but back in 2005 i didnt want to wait.

Now this kid comes, seems to be our future franchise QB. so lets all embrace him the way you said we should with Eli back in 2004 . with one difference we paid a hefty sum for Eli and Nas comes at a great bargain.

fansince69
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
The only thing I can tell you about this is that I don't call people names if they don't think Phil was a great QB.
The "Eli Cultists" I tend to refer to are the folks that call you some kind of hater because you think that Eli is "very good" but not great.

Its a little different.

And my love for Phil has to do with a lot of things, including the fact that he gave me a winning team for the first time in my life as a Giants fan. I was an adult before I saw a Giants playoff game. And Phil gave me my first Giants championship.this+1

Dline83
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Difference is that MS openly admits his "cultism". Eli fan boys actually think they're being objective.

I think that statement is a bit wide sweeping. It is a back and forth between people that hold Eli in high esteem and people who don't, or see him as somewhere inbetween the two places.

I've seen plenty of ridiculous comments on different threads aiming both to build Eli up and break him down. It goes both ways because people feel passionate about their opinions and end up having to defend them, I just think everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Also saying the Eli is statistically the best qb we have had really is not objective either way, it is reading stat lines. Saying definitively that he was the best qb we have ever had is a different story because it brings much more personal opinion into the discussion.

Like I said earlier, he is my favorite offensive player to ever suit up for us, but I do not consider myself blind to his pitfalls.

TCHOF
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
whats funny is some of us are labeled Anti -eli because we called out his up and down play his short comings over the years and do not think he is a HOF QB. but most of us never said he was bust never said replace him with so and so. we knew he was getting better by the year but back in 2005 i didnt want to wait.

Now this kid comes, seems to be our future franchise QB. so lets all embrace him the way you said we should with Eli back in 2004 . with one difference we paid a hefty sum for Eli and Nas comes at a great bargain.

"Future franchise QB" might be a tad premature . . ..

sharick88
05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
PHIL SIMMS' SB PERFORMANCE REMAINS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN ANY GIANTS QB PLAY.

fansince69
05-13-2013, 03:41 PM
PHIL SIMMS' SB PERFORMANCE REMAINS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN ANY GIANTS QB PLAY.also interesting to note...the 39 points scored by Simms offence in that super bowl is higher than both Of Eli's added together

Harooni
05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
My first impression of Eli was here is a spoiled rich kid, getting fame for his dad and brothers name refusing to play for a team,thought we traded too much for him, he is a little on the shy side. Scared to take a hit throws off his back foot and is wildly inaccurate.Can't QB slide, can't QB sneak, throws to many int's. As a rookie i thought he was not NFL ready should have sat behind Warner for a year or so.

but now i see i was only half right.

Rudyy
05-13-2013, 03:45 PM
My first impression of Eli was here is a spoiled rich kid, getting fame for his dad and brothers name refusing to play for a team,thought we traded too much for him, he is a little on the shy side. Scared to take a hit throws off his back foot and is wildly inaccurate. As a rookie i thought he was not NFL ready should have sat behind Warner for a year or so.

but now i see i was dead wrong.Not many people admit when they are wrong. Bravo man.

Dline83
05-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Its a little different.

And my love for Phil has to do with a lot of things, including the fact that he gave me a winning team for the first time in my life as a Giants fan. I was an adult before I saw a Giants playoff game. And Phil gave me my first Giants championship.

Now see this is the point I was trying to get at. In the end we all have an opinion. I agree that it is just a stupid thing to call people names for pointing out negatives from Eli's game.

The Simms love coming from that history makes perfect sense to me, one of the reasons Eli holds that spot for me is that I was able to watch those two SB runs with my family in NY and getting to experience that with my kids, especially when we killed the Pats perfect season, will always be special to me.

I think everyone should have an opinion, but that being said, you and Harooni act like it is all the pro Eli guys faults, I have seen plenty a ridiculous thread after a bad performance on these boards, and again people are entitled to say what they want but it does go both ways, and that (in my opinion) is the reason that it always becomes the same argument.

Harooni
05-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Not many people admit when they are wrong. Bravo man. lol :P

EliDaMANning
05-13-2013, 03:59 PM
That's why they panicked and brought in Kurt Warner. The vets on the team (Strahan, Tiki) still thought they could contend, 3 seasons removed from a SB appearance, and didn't want to wait around for Eli to mature.LOL I love looking back at this and laughing at these 2 ex players . First, Tiki ends up retiring before the Giants win the SB and now Strahan wakes up every morning thanking Eli for his one and only ring.

ShakeandBake
05-13-2013, 04:12 PM
LOL I love looking back at this and laughing at these 2 ex players . First, Tiki ends up retiring before the Giants win the SB and now Strahan wakes up every morning thanking Eli for his one and only ring.

Right, because Eli was the sole reason why we won back in '07. /sarcasm off.

gumby74
05-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Now see this is the point I was trying to get at. In the end we all have an opinion. I agree that it is just a stupid thing to call people names for pointing out negatives from Eli's game.

The Simms love coming from that history makes perfect sense to me, one of the reasons Eli holds that spot for me is that I was able to watch those two SB runs with my family in NY and getting to experience that with my kids, especially when we killed the Pats perfect season, will always be special to me.

I think everyone should have an opinion, but that being said, you and Harooni act like it is all the pro Eli guys faults, I have seen plenty a ridiculous thread after a bad performance on these boards, and again people are entitled to say what they want but it does go both ways, and that (in my opinion) is the reason that it always becomes the same argument.

Oh, but it is. The Cruz situation is a perfect example. Everyone loves Cruz. Just not everyone thinks he's worth a ton of money. Then out of nowhere, "Cruz haters" were created. The smallest things set some people off.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Well our first impression of Eli was him getting obliterated by an eagles' DE in a game that was already decided. Not too difficult to beat that. A whole lot of nothing when someone says that Nassib was initially more impressive than Eli Manning

Vacchiano was comparing both QBs first day at rookie mini-camp. It's his opinion which isn't any more insightful than yours or mine. The media heads live to get our attention, he did.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Oh, but it is. The Cruz situation is a perfect example. Everyone loves Cruz. Just not everyone thinks he's worth a ton of money. Then out of nowhere, "Cruz haters" were created. The smallest things set some people off.

I almost agree with this except not "everyone loves Cruz." Some of the comments are pretty clear, and that's fine. Haters and Homers are message board words that we tend to apply to those who agree or disagree with us.

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 04:59 PM

First of all...I am pro Eli. To suggest anything else in nonsense.
My beef doesn't come from fans of Eli or anyone who holds a special place for him. Its the vitriol we have to face from "some" folks who consider any criticism of Eli as a form of Eli-hate.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
My beef doesn't come from fans of Eli or anyone who holds a special place for him. Its the vitriol we have to face from "some" folks who consider any criticism of Eli as a form of Eli-hate.

Glad to see your keyboard survived the earlier emotional Tsunami :rolleyes:

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Glad to see your keyboard survived the earlier emotional Tsunami :rolleyes:
Glad wrap cures all ills.

Dline83
05-13-2013, 05:05 PM

Don't think I ever suggested or implied that you were not...

Do you not consider yourself to act in the same way when it comes to Simms?

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Don't think I ever suggested or implied that you were not...

Do you not consider yourself to act in the same way when it comes to Simms?
No I don't. Not at all.
I will say that many fans here never saw Phil play and I feel obligated to let them know what kind of player he was.

Dline83
05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
No I don't. Not at all.
I will say that many fans here never saw Phil play and I feel obligated to let them know what kind of player he was.

Funny that you refer to yourself as a Simms cultist yet remove yourself from doing the things that would seam to define that...

Also there are a lot of other players both playing and retired that think Eli will be in the HOF, so it just goes to show that everything really is just opinion and speculation.

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Vacchiano was comparing both QBs first day at rookie mini-camp. It's his opinion which isn't any more insightful than yours or mine. The media heads live to get our attention, he did.

No doubt that article was designed to be provocative, but let's face it RF, his opinion is much more insightful than a large percentage of the posters here.

:D

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Funny that you refer to yourself as a Simms cultist yet remove yourself from doing the things that would seam to define that...

Also there are a lot of other players both playing and retired that think Eli will be in the HOF, so it just goes to show that everything really is just opinion and speculation.
I am a Phil Cultist because my love of Phil is unconditional.
He is the all time Giants QB to me. He represents the toughness, and lunch pail attitude that represent all that is good about Giants football.
To me...Phil is the personification of the New York Football Giants.

Dline83
05-13-2013, 05:52 PM
I am a Phil Cultist because my love of Phil is unconditional.
He is the all time Giants QB to me. He represents the toughness, and lunch pail attitude that represent all that is good about Giants football.
To me...Phil is the personification of the New York Football Giants.

Which would lead one to believe that you would argue that point the same way that others argue for Eli.

I personally have a hard time saying that any offensive player is the personification of the Giants, I'll take LT any day of the week and after that take your pick of Huff, Carson, Banks, Martin, Armstead, and Strahan just to name some.

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 05:58 PM

That's because MS is truly not a Cultist. He's just a huge Simms supporter as am I.

Dline83
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
That's because MS is truly not a Cultist. He's just a huge Simms supporter as am I.

Then why refer to himself as one?

ShakeandBake
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
No doubt that article was designed to be provocative, but let's face it RF, his opinion is much more insightful than a large percentage of the posters here.

I'm surprised at you Rosie, I thought you held a higher opinion of yourself.

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Which would lead one to believe that you would argue that point the same way that others argue for Eli.

I personally have a hard time saying that any offensive player is the personification of the Giants, I'll take LT any day of the week and after that take your pick of Huff, Carson, Banks, Martin, Armstead, and Strahan just to name some.
LT was a better player. But Phil was the leader of that team.
Who else would get in Ronnie Lott's grill?

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 07:01 PM
PHIL SIMMS' SB PERFORMANCE REMAINS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN ANY GIANTS QB PLAY.

He completion rate was damn near perfect if I recall correctly at 22 for 25

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
He completion rate was damn near perfect if I recall correctly at 22 for 25
2 of the incompletions were drops.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Glad wrap cures all ills.

That's duct tape, no?

Morehead State
05-13-2013, 07:04 PM
That's duct tape, no?
Actually.....Yes.
Duct tape it awesome.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 07:04 PM
2 of the incompletions were drops.

22 for 25 is as good as it gets IMO for a Super Bowl. I remember days after the game they showed pre-game film of Phil throwing to the receivers and his saying "I'm on today" Man, was he ever.

fansince69
05-13-2013, 07:12 PM
2 of the incompletions were drops.Bavaro tried to drop a 3rd that ended up in MCconkey's hands....then MCconkey ended up in bavaro's hands...lol

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Bavaro tried to drop a 3rd that ended up in MCconkey's hands....then MCconkey ended up in bavaro's hands...lol

When that happened, I didn't think I'd ever get sober

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 07:21 PM
22 for 25 is as good as it gets IMO for a Super Bowl. I remember days after the game they showed pre-game film of Phil throwing to the receivers and his saying "I'm on today" Man, was he ever.

EDIT: This is still a Super Bowl record at an 88% completion rate!

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/records/superbowls/player/passing

Dline83
05-13-2013, 08:01 PM
LT was a better player. But Phil was the leader of that team.
Who else would get in Ronnie Lott's grill?

That one put a smile on my face!

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm surprised at you Rosie, I thought you held a higher opinion of yourself.

Haha.

giantsfan420
05-13-2013, 08:38 PM
22 for 25 is as good as it gets IMO for a Super Bowl. I remember days after the game they showed pre-game film of Phil throwing to the receivers and his saying "I'm on today" Man, was he ever.yes it was. but obviously the 2nd half was much much better than the 1rst...what was the score going in at halftime, werent we down a point actually?

fansince69
05-13-2013, 08:40 PM
yes it was. but obviously the 2nd half was much much better than the 1rst...what was the score going in at halftime, werent we down a point actually?down 10-9

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
down 10-9

And then the show began

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 09:15 PM
yes it was. but obviously the 2nd half was much much better than the 1rst...what was the score going in at halftime, werent we down a point actually?

Can't imagine what the point of this comment is.

Roosevelt
05-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Then why refer to himself as one?

I have no idea.

BeatYale
05-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Right, because Eli was the sole reason why we won back in '07. /sarcasm off.

The QB position usually gets the most blame or the most credit. That's always been the nature of the position because it's the most difficult position to fill and develop on a team. It's a valid statement considering he didn't win it with Collins. The defense played great that game, but not great enough to discredit Eli considering we needed to come from behind to win the game. There's a reason Eli got Super Bowl MVP and guys like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson did not.

giantsfan420
05-14-2013, 02:19 AM
Can't imagine what the point of this comment is.bc 22 for 25 stated simply as that would imply a dominant performance all game. while he threw what, 1 incompletion, the first half, the offense wasn't dominating to say the least. He prob had the greatest half a QB has ever had in the SB...no point at all really just conversating...now u know how the rest of us feel on any subject u relate to eli.

edit: and it was in response to a specific comment a poster made. 22 for 25 was amazing and record breaking, but it really was only the 2nd half we saw the offense explode. using the reasoning some here use, "the D should be credited more than Simms for keeping the high scoring Broncos to 10 points for the 1rst half so we could use Parcells patented half time adjustments to buy time for Simms to get the help at halftime for the offense to explode 2nd half and win."

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 06:40 AM

That is simply not possible with the brain trust we have here. :rolleyes:

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 06:42 AM
bc 22 for 25 stated simply as that would imply a dominant performance all game. while he threw what, 1 incompletion, the first half, the offense wasn't dominating to say the least. He prob had the greatest half a QB has ever had in the SB...no point at all really just conversating...now u know how the rest of us feel on any subject u relate to eli.

edit: and it was in response to a specific comment a poster made. 22 for 25 was amazing and record breaking, but it really was only the 2nd half we saw the offense explode. using the reasoning some here use, "the D should be credited more than Simms for keeping the high scoring Broncos to 10 points for the 1rst half so we could use Parcells patented half time adjustments to buy time for Simms to get the help at halftime for the offense to explode 2nd half and win."

22 for 25 is still a record at a completion rate of 88%. What difference does it make how the game was won? Sometimes you really amaze me.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 07:43 AM
22 for 25 is still a record at a completion rate of 88%. What difference does it make how the game was won? Sometimes you really amaze me.
I think we all know the motivation of his comments.

.....And it only endears him to me, the poor misguided soul.

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 07:51 AM
I think we all know the motivation of his comments.

.....And it only endears him to me, the poor misguided soul.

There's an oldies song that reminds me of you: "Only You" :cool:

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 08:23 AM
There's an oldies song that reminds me of you: "Only You" :cool:
Only "Morehead"....can make the world seem right......

EliDaMANning
05-14-2013, 08:23 AM
22 for 25 is still a record at a completion rate of 88%. What difference does it make how the game was won? Sometimes you really amaze me.I think he made it pretty clear that 88% was amazing. You are reaching for something that isn't there. He gave Simms his props. What else are you looking for?

gumby74
05-14-2013, 09:02 AM

I almost agree with this except not "everyone loves Cruz." Some of the comments are pretty clear, and that's fine. Haters and Homers are message board words that we tend to apply to those who agree or disagree with us.

I think we just interpreted it differently then. The worst I read was that Cruz has alligator arms which in the grand scheme of things isn't exacting "hating".
And I guess my definitnion of hater and homer are very different. We all know who the homers are, but a hater is someone like CantBlameShockeyNow (who's really funny). The unfortunate thing is that it's painfully obvious that the guy is a troll, but yet a whole bunch of current posters like myself get lumped in with him.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 09:04 AM
I think he made it pretty clear that 88% was amazing. You are reaching for something that isn't there. He gave Simms his props. What else are you looking for?
And here they come......they just can't help themselves........

Why would he bring up the 1st half/second half point? It makes no sense.
"Oh..it was only a second half performance...its not like he was good the entire game". ............ Seems bitter and dark.

But that's just me. As I said though, it just makes us want to hug him tighter.

ShakeandBake
05-14-2013, 09:08 AM
And here they come......they just can't help themselves........

"Oh..it was only a second half performance...its not like he was good the entire game". ............ Seems bitter and dark.

But that's just me. As I said though, it just makes us want to hug him tighter.

You realize you are talking to the guy who said Strahan wakes up every morning thanking Eli for his only ring right? You will never convince these Eli zealots that Phil Simms was a great Giant QB, because to them Eli is the one true QB.

EliDaMANning
05-14-2013, 09:09 AM

But that's just me. As I said though, it just makes us want to hug him tighter.LOL because Simms was more dominant in the second half. That second half is what really made it a great performance.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 09:11 AM
You realize you are talking to the guy who said Strahan wakes up every morning thanking Eli for his only ring right? You will never convince these Eli zealots that Phil Simms was a great Giant QB, because to them Eli is the one true QB.
Yes I know. But you have to admit they are very funny with their persistence.
They make me chuckle and how can that be a bad thing?

EliDaMANning
05-14-2013, 09:13 AM
LOL @ Strahan thinking he had a better shot at winning a ring with Kerry Collins.
LOL @ management for massaging his bruised ego and bringing in Kurt Warner who made our eyes bleed every time he dropped back.

Even Strahan admits that ring on his finger wouldn't be there if Eli wasn't his QB.

gumby74
05-14-2013, 09:19 AM
We need the rest of the 2012/2013'er Eli fan boy crew in order for this thread to be complete.

ShakeandBake
05-14-2013, 09:22 AM
LOL @ Strahan thinking he had a better shot at winning a ring with Kerry Collins.
LOL @ management for massaging his bruised ego and bringing in Kurt Warner who made our eyes bleed every time he dropped back.

Even Strahan admits that ring on his finger wouldn't be there if Eli wasn't his QB.

Kurt Warner was here in '04 buddy, and we didn't win with Eli till the '07 season. You do realize that Kurt won a title after he left the Giants correct? You act as if Eli was the most important piece on the team back when we won in 2008, the defense was what got us there that year and Strahan and Osi among others were equally deserving of the Superbowl MVP. I'm beginning to wonder if even you take yourself seriously, because clearly no one else on the boards does.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 09:23 AM

The Cultists have entered the discussion, contaminating any further dialog.
It was a good thread for a while, but inevitably, it was going to happen.

I suggest normal fans exit for other endeavors.

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
I think we just interpreted it differently then. The worst I read was that Cruz has alligator arms which in the grand scheme of things isn't exacting "hating". And I guess my definitnion of hater and homer are very different. We all know who the homers are, but a hater is someone like CantBlameShockeyNow (who's really funny). The unfortunate thing is that it's painfully obvious that the guy is a troll, but yet a whole bunch of current posters like myself get lumped in with him. You must have missed the "diva", "greedy", "trade him", and ungrateful posts then.

EliDaMANning
05-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Kurt Warner was here in '04 buddy, and we didn't win with Eli till the '07 season. You do realize that Kurt won a title after he left the Giants correct? You act as if Eli was the most important piece on the team back when we won in 2008, the defense was what got us there that year and Strahan and Osi among others were equally deserving of the Superbowl MVP. I'm beginning to wonder if even you take yourself seriously, because clearly no one else on the boards does.I must have missed the part about Warner winning a ring after he left the Giants. I'm beginning to wonder if you even take yourself seriously, clearly you're imagining things.

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 10:22 AM
I think he made it pretty clear that 88% was amazing. You are reaching for something that isn't there. He gave Simms his props. What else are you looking for? There is no reason to further qualify a record setting accomplishment.

gumby74
05-14-2013, 11:11 AM
If i didn't know better, I would have thought EliDaManning was a really good troll.

gumby74
05-14-2013, 11:12 AM
You must have missed the "diva", "greedy", "trade him", and ungrateful posts then.

Hmm. That I missed.

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 11:22 AM
If i didn't know better, I would have thought EliDaManning was a really good troll.

Or a wolf in sheep's clothing?

EliDaMANning
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
If i didn't know better, I would have thought EliDaManning was a really good troll.I appreciate the fact that you spend most of your life thinking about me. If only you were a smokin' hot female I would pursue. It brings great pain and displeasure to inform you that I really don't care who you are, what you think, and what you think about me. Instead of wondering what I am doing at the moment, focus your attention on other things in life dude.

gumby74
05-14-2013, 11:45 AM
I appreciate the fact that you spend most of your life thinking about me. If only you were a smokin' hot female I would pursue. It brings great pain and displeasure to inform you that I really don't care who you are, what you think, and what you think about me. Instead of wondering what I am doing at the moment, focus your attention on other things in life dude.

Actually part of the reason why I'm still on these boards is because yourself and your other 2012/2013'er Eli fan boy cronies are so darn entertaining. I'm one of your biggest fans. No joke.

But this is getting way too personal so I'm done here.

TheAnalyst
05-14-2013, 11:51 AM
I do think Nassib will be better at Eli in some regards....

He will be better at getting the play off quicker.
He will be better at scrambling around to buy time.
He will be better at throwing on the run short and using screens.
He will be better at not getting his WRs / TEs killed over the middle.
He will have a quicker release.

fansince69
05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I do think Nassib will be better at Eli in some regards....

He will be better at getting the play off quicker.
He will be better at scrambling around to buy time.
He will be better at throwing on the run short and using screens.
He will be better at not getting his WRs / TEs killed over the middle.
He will have a quicker release.wow this one will kill all the" Eli is perfect supporters".......Just my opinion but most of the time Getting the play off quicker is more a function of quickly he gets the play from the sideline as opposed to something he is doing wrong

ShakeandBake
05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
I must have missed the part about Warner winning a ring after he left the Giants. I'm beginning to wonder if you even take yourself seriously, clearly you're imagining things.

I said title, not ring as in the NFC Championship title. He took the lowly Cardinals to their first ever superbowl, the year after we won in '07 when many people were proclaiming that we fielded one of our best teams ever. According to your logic, or lack thereof, Kurt Warner took his team to the super bowl back in the '08 season where Eli could not. The point, which you keep continually missing is that Kurt was a great QB, contrary to your opinion otherwise. Anyway have fun https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1UUAsv3oLGl6rRpHz48YNCHItk89Ad 7bVqTh_Efug13Hz2T7wvA

TheAnalyst
05-14-2013, 12:00 PM
wow this one will kill all the" Eli is perfect supporters".......Just my opinion but most of the time Getting the play off quicker is more a function of quickly he gets the play from the sideline as opposed to something he is doing wrong

True that is part of it, but Eli audibles too late sometimes and the offense cant adjust quick enough. And he gets those delay of game penalties or burns a timeout we would love to have later on. Its the combo of his laid back style and analyzing the defense to make adjustments and Gilbrides lat play calling. Bad combo. Thats why 10 years later he is still having rookie issues in that regard. How many times you see him get to the line under center with about 5 seconds left? Then the defense has the jump on our oline casue we are forced to snap it.

fansince69
05-14-2013, 12:04 PM
True that is part of it, but Eli audibles too late sometimes and the offense cant adjust quick enough. And he gets those delay of game penalties or burns a timeout we would love to have later on. Its the combo of his laid back style and analyzing the defense to make adjustments and Gilbrides lat play calling. Bad combo. Thats why 10 years later he is still having rookie issues in that regard. How many times you see him get to the line under center with about 5 seconds left? Then the defense has the jump on our oline casue we are forced to snap it.LOL you are right we could have the "which came first ? the chicken or the egg "debate...bottom line is it would be nice to get the play off sooner........I just see it as a lot less of Eli's fault than many do around here

EliDaMANning
05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I said title, not ring as in the NFC Championship title. He took the lowly Cardinals to their first ever superbowl, the year after we won in '07 when many people were proclaiming that we fielded one of our best teams ever. According to your logic, or lack thereof, Kurt Warner took his team to the super bowl back in the '08 season where Eli could not. The point, which you keep continually missing is that Kurt was a great QB, contrary to your opinion otherwise. Anyway have fun https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1UUAsv3oLGl6rRpHz48YNCHItk89Ad 7bVqTh_Efug13Hz2T7wvACards were a stacked team with lots of firepower. It worked out perfectly for Warner since he's not the type of QB that can handle pressure and make his teamates around him better. Unfortunately, he couldn't win with them and pretty much choked away a sure SB ring.

ShakeandBake
05-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Cards were a stacked team with lots of firepower. It worked out perfectly for Warner since he's not the type of QB that can handle pressure and make his teamates around him better. Unfortunately, he couldn't win with them and pretty much choked away a sure SB ring.

Oh ok I see, when Kurt's team was good he had nothing to do with it, but when our team succeeded it was all Eli. According to you the opposite is true too, when Kurt's team did poorly it was his fault, and when our team preformed poorly it had nothing to do with Eli. You keep trying to argue that Kurt wasn't successful after he left here which is simply just not true.

gumby74
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
I said title, not ring as in the NFC Championship title. He took the lowly Cardinals to their first ever superbowl, the year after we won in '07 when many people were proclaiming that we fielded one of our best teams ever. According to your logic, or lack thereof, Kurt Warner took his team to the super bowl back in the '08 season where Eli could not. The point, which you keep continually missing is that Kurt was a great QB, contrary to your opinion otherwise. Anyway have fun https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1UUAsv3oLGl6rRpHz48YNCHItk89Ad 7bVqTh_Efug13Hz2T7wvA

That pic. ... starcraft is an awesome game.

ShakeandBake
05-14-2013, 12:31 PM
That pic. ... starcraft is an awesome game.

Thats a special kind of zealot, an Eli zealot. "My life for Eli"

Delicreep
05-14-2013, 01:18 PM

I can tell you why you are labeled anti Eli if you would like...and it has almost nothing to do with what you just wrote.

Not saying I agree, just that I know the answer.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I can tell you why you are labeled anti Eli if you would like...and it has almost nothing to do with what you just wrote.

Not saying I agree, just that I know the answer.
I'll save you the effort. Its because there is a lack of sophistication on the Giants MB.

Folks seem to fail to understand that every real Giants fan roots his *** off for whoever is our QB.

gumby74
05-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Thats a special kind of zealot, an Eli zealot. "My life for Eli" Do you still play?

Delicreep
05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I'll save you the effort. Its because there is a lack of sophistication on the Giants MB.

Folks seem to fail to understand that every real Giants fan roots his *** off for whoever is our QB.

It's easier than that: I'm willing to look at the next Giant QB; he all too often comes across as eager to find the next Giants QB.
Heck..he even has Nassib disrupting Eli's next contract and possibly have Eli look to free agency as a result.
Which he said Carr would do
Which he said Brady Quinn would do
N
At some point, it unquestionably difts across a line to be more of a "anybody but Eli" thing.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 02:32 PM
It's easier than that: I'm willing to look at the next Giant QB; he all too often comes across as eager to find the next Giants QB.
Heck..he even has Nassib disrupting Eli's next contract and possibly have Eli look to free agency as a result.
N
At some point, it unquestionably difts across a line to be more of a "anybody but Eli" thing.

So what. Its mostly just tongue in cheek stuff.
Its mostly not to be taken seriously. Certainly you can see that. I know some of the whack jobs here just jump all over that stuff (which is probably why he does it) but I refuse to believe you would be included in that crowd.

Roosevelt
05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
N

I thought you were going to point out all the goofy images he posts of Eli. Let's face it, that's been a dead give-away.

gumby74
05-14-2013, 02:45 PM
I thought you were going to point out all the goofy images he posts of Eli. Let's face it, that's been a dead give-away.

Here's an interesting question. Is there a difference between disliking a player, yet cheering for him (because he's on your favorite team) and a hater?

rebelfan1966
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Eli plays in the toughest market on the planet. He learned to play NFL QB position by being thrown into the fire. He has had some up and down games, but doesn't every QB? He is a two time SBMVP with 6 or 7 more good years to play. Sure, we have some "couch QBs" on this board that pick up something someone says on a sports show and then they toss out here on these boards like "they" observed a flaw in Eli's play and are some sort of qualified expert sports analyst. Eli throws off his back foot, Eli shys away from hits, Eli does not show any emotion, blah, blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, he is the starting NY Giant QB for the upcoming season, and unless he gets injured, he has several more seasons to go. I hope this new kid pays attention to Eli and learns. Eli is a very cerebral QB that knows this offense like the back of his hand. And "if" this new kid is the next starter down the line, he will get my full support just like Eli has now.

fansince69
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Here's an interesting question. Is there a difference between disliking a player, yet cheering for him (because he's on your favorite team) and a hater?I almost think haters root against certain players ...just so they can come here and say ...I told you so....blah blah blah

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Eli plays in the toughest market on the planet. He learned to play NFL QB position by being thrown into the fire. He has had some up and down games, but doesn't every QB? He is a two time SBMVP with 6 or 7 more good years to play. Sure, we have some "couch QBs" on this board that pick up something someone says on a sports show and then they toss out here on these boards like "they" observed a flaw in Eli's play and are some sort of qualified expert sports analyst. Eli throws off his back foot, Eli shys away from hits, Eli does not show any emotion, blah, blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, he is the starting NY Giant QB for the upcoming season, and unless he gets injured, he has several more seasons to go. I hope this new kid pays attention to Eli and learns. Eli is a very cerebral QB that knows this offense like the back of his hand. And "if" this new kid is the next starter down the line, he will get my full support just like Eli has now.

No I agree. Its important that fans express no dissent regarding our QB. Its important that no negative comments be made at all, and when they happen, its very important that those folks be exposed as haters and publicly humiliated.
Since we aren't in the NFL, fans must NEVER criticize any player on the team and must actually try not to even think of anything in a negative way, especially regarding our QB.
Because we all know what the free flow of ideas can bring............Chaos.

As usual...you and I agree.

Delicreep
05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
So what. Its mostly just tongue in cheek stuff.
Its mostly not to be taken seriously. Certainly you can see that. I know some of the whack jobs here just jump all over that stuff (which is probably why he does it) but I refuse to believe you would be included in that crowd.

It's not that I don't believe it...I don't care in the slightest.

It's a message board...if people are gonna get 'em in a wad over posts they disagree with, they should probably find a new hobby.

Delicreep
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM

That's the best part.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
It's not that I don't believe it...I don't care in the slightest.

It's a message board...if people are gonna get 'em in a wad over posts they disagree with, they should probably find a new hobby.
You were saying that you knew why a particular poster was being considered as a "hater" of a particular player.
I am saying that what he says takes a minimal amount of sophistication to understand, and to realize that their is no "hating" of a player involved at all. Its just a little fun loving banter. And should be responded to in the same light.

But again....it takes some sophistication, albeit a very small amount of it. And that does seem to be lacking with some folks around here.

Dline83
05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
You were saying that you knew why a particular poster was being considered as a "hater" of a particular player.
I am saying that what he says takes a minimal amount of sophistication to understand, and to realize that their is no "hating" of a player involved at all. Its just a little fun loving banter. And should be responded to in the same light.

But again....it takes some sophistication, albeit a very small amount of it. And that does seem to be lacking with some folks around here.

Now you can't really say that you aren't throwing fuel on the fire calling people out like that, and I also find it a bit disrespectful.

People are different, some come on here for pure football talk, others to make in your opinion "fun loving banter" that might not resonate with everyone, it certainly does not mean that they are less sophisticated than you, which it sure seems like you were trying to implie.

As for myself I'm done with this particular thread, it just goes round and round in the same exact cycle like many posts befor and I'm sure many that have yet to be. I can't wait until we are all talking about actual football and things that matter.

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Now you can't really say that you aren't throwing fuel on the fire calling people out like that, and I also find it a bit disrespectful.

People are different, some come on here for pure football talk, others to make in your opinion "fun loving banter" that might not resonate with everyone, it certainly does not mean that they are less sophisticated than you, which it sure seems like you were trying to implie.

As for myself I'm done with this particular thread, it just goes round and round in the same exact cycle like many posts befor and I'm sure many that have yet to be. I can't wait until we are all talking about actual football and things that matter.
They are less sophisticated than most anybody. Even me.

Drez
05-14-2013, 03:32 PM
True that is part of it, but Eli audibles too late sometimes and the offense cant adjust quick enough. And he gets those delay of game penalties or burns a timeout we would love to have later on. Its the combo of his laid back style and analyzing the defense to make adjustments and Gilbrides lat play calling. Bad combo. Thats why 10 years later he is still having rookie issues in that regard. How many times you see him get to the line under center with about 5 seconds left? Then the defense has the jump on our oline casue we are forced to snap it.He also calls two or three plays in the huddle and needs to check into on at the line.

TheAnalyst
05-14-2013, 03:40 PM
He also calls two or three plays in the huddle and needs to check into on at the line.

Omaha!

Astorian
05-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Omaha!My thoughts exactly!!!

ShakeandBake
05-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Do you still play?

No, I was really in to the original SC, tried SC2 when it came out but its just the same old stuff rehashed to me. Haven't really played in years but it was my favorite game for a looooong time.

Roosevelt
05-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Here's an interesting question. Is there a difference between disliking a player, yet cheering for him (because he's on your favorite team) and a hater?

It's one and the same as far as I'm concerned although there are two reasons a player can become a target of a fan base. It's either an off field issue or poor play.

G-Men Surg.
05-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Well that's fine and dandy but is he going to be better than Eli in the long run ? That remains to be seen.

DarkSaint
05-15-2013, 01:02 AM
The Hate for Eli is strong in this thread.

It's obvious all you honest to God, loyal "Giants Fans" want to get back to the pre- Eli Manning era with Danny Kannell, Dave Brown and Kent Graham type leading our team to the cellar year in and year out.

You guys should just lay low for another 5 years because having your hopes in Nassib is going to prove fruitless.

Morehead State
05-15-2013, 07:42 AM

It's obvious all you honest to God, loyal "Giants Fans" want to get back to the pre- Eli Manning era with Danny Kannell, Dave Brown and Kent Graham type leading our team to the cellar year in and year out.

You guys should just lay low for another 5 years because having your hopes in Nassib is going to prove fruitless.

The crazies are back.

gumby74
05-15-2013, 08:27 AM

Can you ask your other 2012/2013'er friends to join this thread too?

Morehead State
05-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Can you ask your other 2012/2013'er friends to join this thread too?
Well they all live in the same insane asylum so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Kruunch
05-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Ya know ... Nassib kinda looks like Simms.

rebelfan1966
05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
No I agree. Its important that fans express no dissent regarding our QB. Its important that no negative comments be made at all, and when they happen, its very important that those folks be exposed as haters and publicly humiliated.
Since we aren't in the NFL, fans must NEVER criticize any player on the team and must actually try not to even think of anything in a negative way, especially regarding our QB.
Because we all know what the free flow of ideas can bring............Chaos.

As usual...you and I agree.

I knew you would eventually come around.... lol

Morehead State
05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
I knew you would eventually come around.... lol
Don't you love it when everybody wins?

ShakeandBake
05-15-2013, 12:16 PM

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/135/0/5/protoss_zealot_by_sanggene-d3gdjfu.jpg

Harooni
05-15-2013, 03:40 PM
N

i never said Carr or brady Quinn would be better than Eli though. i said if i was GM id give Eli competitiion and use it as a card to play while re-signing Eli. At the time remember Carr was much younger and a former first round pick. still it wasnt the case at all and you are right it didnt matter to Eli's agent i guess.

in the case of Quinn i said bring in for Eli's back up i never said that we would be able to release manning. im well aware of Eli's enourmas investment that would have hit us in the face penalty wise and also aware Eli developed into a good QB.

nygfanmaybe
05-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Yep...the very 1st pick in the 2004 draft...the # 1 guy...the top dog..."developed into a good QB."!!

Good thing they had the insight to see that he would "develop" or they really might have blown it big time drafting a guy that high that they had to wait to "develop",

You never cease to crack me up...but I laugh only because I know you can't be serious with the things you post. Probably just a very bored Eagle fan. That's what I thought in '04 and I am sticking with it.

Roosevelt
05-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Yep...the very 1st pick in the 2004 draft...the # 1 guy...the top dog..."developed into a good QB."!!

Good thing they had the insight to see that he would "develop" or they really might have blown it big time drafting a guy that high that they had to wait to "develop",

You never cease to crack me up...but I laugh only because I know you can't be serious with the things you post. Probably just a very bored Eagle fan. That's what I thought in '04 and I am sticking with it.

Eli aside, who's your favorite team?

4thand1
05-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Well they all live in the same insane asylum so it shouldn't be too difficult.

And the personal attacks continue.

I've already PMed the mod days ago about this issue and haven't received a response.

I just don't understand why personal attacks are tolerated on these message boards.

Do people with a certain number of posts get a free pass or what?

Die-Hard
05-19-2013, 10:28 PM

I've already PMed the mod days ago about this issue and haven't received a response.

I just don't understand why personal attacks are tolerated on these message boards.

Sadly, we cant catch every single post the second its posted. People are warned, and they ignore the warnings. They know whats next, so please just report the posts and we'll take care of the rest.

4thand1
05-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Sadly, we cant catch every single post the second its posted. People are warned, and they ignore the warnings. They know whats next, so please just report the posts and we'll take care of the rest.

So the post I quoted, you DO consider it a personal attack?

I asked another mod this question and I was told it is not.

B&RWarrior
05-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Nass is all hype. He's a 4th round QB.

nygfanmaybe
05-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Not the Eagles...

nygfanmaybe
05-20-2013, 07:35 AM

I asked another mod this question and I was told it is not.Certain posters are allowed to run amuck in case you haven't noticed.

Die-Hard
05-20-2013, 08:52 AM

I asked another mod this question and I was told it is not.

Not really, no. It's certainly not a compliment, but I dont see it as anything but an amusing, harmless jab. Let me also add that it doesn't appear to have been directed at you specifically, so I dont understand your reaction.

gumby74
05-20-2013, 08:57 AM

Not the Eagles...

Same team as Rebelfan. How many other ole miss fan boys we have here?

Die-Hard
05-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Certain posters are allowed to run amuck in case you haven't noticed.

How do you figure? Are you privy to what we tell people behind the scenes? Many of the same posters have been warned and suspended several times. We cant stand over their shoulders and watch them 24/7, and the ones who wont change their ways are most certainly shown the door. If you choose to populate a public message board, you have to expect some negativity. Thinking that its going to be a bed of roses with no conflict is nothing shy of being incredibly naive. Thats not meant as an insult, but rather a simple fact. We aren't going to ban people for having a bit of fun, unless that fun crosses certain lines.

4thand1
05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Not really, no. It's certainly not a compliment, but I dont see it as anything but an amusing, harmless jab. Let me also add that it doesn't appear to have been directed at you specifically, so I dont understand your reaction.

Okay, it's nice to know that I can say those who disagree with me live in an insane asylum without any repercussions on these message boards.

Die-Hard
05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Okay, it's nice to know that I can say those who disagree with me live in an insane asylum without any repercussions on these message boards.

So you have never once in your life told one of your friends that they are "crazy" or that they should be locked up in a "nut house" in a joking manner? Its not rocket science, my friend. There is always going to be some form of character assassination going on around here. Its the nature of the beast. The trick is to learn where the line is, before you cross it.

RoanokeFan
05-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Okay, it's nice to know that I can say those who disagree with me live in an insane asylum without any repercussions on these message boards. To get a quicker response, click on the small triangle icon found at the lower left of every post. That is the best way to report abuse of any kind. Using that tool takes us directly to the offending post without the need for a lengthy description of the who and where.

4thand1
05-20-2013, 09:47 AM
So you have never once in your life told one of your friends that they are "crazy" or that they should be locked up in a "nut house" in a joking manner? Its not rocket science, my friend. There is always going to be some form of character assassination going on around here. Its the nature of the beast. The trick is to learn where the line is, before you cross it.

This is an online message board. It is a fallacy to compare that to an interaction with friends where everyone knows that it was said in a joking manner.

So personal attacks are not acceptable yet "character assassination" is? Heaven forbid if the rules are actually unambiguous.

TCHOF
05-20-2013, 10:11 AM

You seriously reported MH's insane asylum comment as an attack? Wow.

Die-Hard
05-20-2013, 10:11 AM
This is an online message board. It is a fallacy to compare that to an interaction with friends where everyone knows that it was said in a joking manner.

So personal attacks are not acceptable yet "character assassination" is? Heaven forbid if the rules are actually unambiguous.

Another fallacy could be that message boards are serious places, and joking around on them is expressly forbidden.

Maybe "character assassination" was a bad choice of words on my part, but it still doesn't change the fact that if you are going to visit a public online message board, you have to expect negative reactions and verbal barbs on occasion. We aren't going to ban people outright every time they insult another member, even though it seems to me that this is what you're after from us. There are 7 total Moderators. 7 different individuals, with 7 different perspectives. We generally all agree with how to handle certain situations. Its not an exact science, so while you may think that we're robots and that our sole mission is perfection in an imperfect environment, it is simply not the case. I cant explain it any better than that, and I wont bother trying.

Move along to greener pastures if you feel that our methods are unacceptable, because I dont know what else to tell you.

EliDaMANning
05-20-2013, 10:12 AM

So personal attacks are not acceptable yet "character assassination" is? Heaven forbid if the rules are actually unambiguous.It frustrating when you make valid points, bring up statistics in your favor and talk in a constructive manner only to have a handful of posters get access to the internet from their nursing homes and begin the constant harassment on these boards. The boards become less and less attractive to post in when all your responses are you're crazy or eli cultists etc.

Die-Hard
05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
It frustrating when you make valid points, bring up statistics in your favor and talk in a constructive manner only to have a handful of posters get access to the internet from their nursing homes and begin the constant harassment on these boards. The boards become less and less attractive to post in when all your responses are you're crazy or eli cultists etc.

These boards have an IGNORE feature available to everyone. Using it can make those people you dont care to interact with go away in a snap, thereby making your experience that much more pleasant. Just putting that out there for those who weren't aware.

Rudyy
05-20-2013, 10:19 AM
It's funny how the same people almost always cry about getting attacked (which I'm sure they aren't even offended). They are just finding reasons to have other people they don't fancy banned. Put them on ignore. Takes like two seconds.

4thand1
05-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Another fallacy could be that message boards are serious places, and joking around on them is expressly forbidden.

Maybe "character assassination" was a bad choice of words on my part, but it still doesn't change the fact that if you are going to visit a public online message board, you have to expect negative reactions and verbal barbs on occasion. We aren't going to ban people outright every time they insult another member, even though it seems to me that this is what you're after from us. There are 7 total Moderators. 7 different individuals, with 7 different perspectives. We generally all agree with how to handle certain situations. Its not an exact science, so while you may think that we're robots and that our sole mission is perfection in an imperfect environment, it is simply not the case. I cant explain it any better than that, and I wont bother trying.

Move along to greener pastures if you feel that our methods are unacceptable, because I dont know what else to tell you.

I never posted or implied that joking around on the message board is not acceptable. I am asking you, why personal attacks are given a free pass simply because it COULD be interpreted as "joking around".

And I never asked anyone to outright ban any poster, I'm just asking for a clarification on the rules. Instead, all I have gotten are ambiguous responses. "we generally all agree with how to handle certain situations". "not an exact science" "imperfect environment"

asking for a clarification on the rules regarding personal attacks isn't asking you to be perfect, or a robot

you still haven't answered the question regarding "character assassination". is it ok or not? from your response, it appears that it is not acceptable, of course you never answer it directly

4thand1
05-20-2013, 10:24 AM
These boards have an IGNORE feature available to everyone. Using it can make those people you dont care to interact with go away in a snap, thereby making your experience that much more pleasant. Just putting that out there for those who weren't aware.

Why should a board be properly moderated if it has an ignore function?

LOL

Die-Hard
05-20-2013, 10:28 AM
I never posted or implied that joking around on the message board is not acceptable. I am asking you, why personal attacks are given a free pass simply because it COULD be interpreted as "joking around".

And I never asked anyone to outright ban any poster, I'm just asking for a clarification on the rules. Instead, all I have gotten are ambiguous responses. "we generally all agree with how to handle certain situations". "not an exact science" "imperfect environment"

asking for a clarification on the rules regarding personal attacks isn't asking you to be perfect, or a robot

you still haven't answered the question regarding "character assassination". is it ok or not? from your response, it appears that it is not acceptable, of course you never answer it directly

One word: CONTEXT

Imgrate
05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Football is a tough sport. It's message board should follow suit. Stop being so soft, it's not our fault that ole miss has been terrible in recent years.

4thand1
05-20-2013, 10:33 AM
One word: CONTEXT

so basically with personal attacks, mods pick and choose who to warn or ban based on a subjective opinion regarding the context?

Roosevelt
05-20-2013, 10:34 AM
It frustrating when you make valid points, bring up statistics in your favor and talk in a constructive manner only to have a handful of posters get access to the internet from their nursing homes and begin the constant harassment on these boards. The boards become less and less attractive to post in when all your responses are you're crazy or eli cultists etc.

My advise would be for everyone to have a lighter tone and keep things friendly. Although admittedly that is not an option after an ugly loss, but I digress.

I've noticed that you attempt to belittle other members you believe are at odds with you, so a different approach may go a long way.

Die-Hard
05-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Why should a board be properly moderated if it has an ignore function?

LOL

Ok, so dont use it, and continue to deal with the responses of the people that you feel should be banned for not breaking the rules.

If you are after clarification of the rules, then you'll have to ask another moderator, because I dont have the patience to explain how some people, no matter the circumstance, are never going to be satisfied with the answers given.

ShakeandBake
05-20-2013, 10:35 AM

It is all about perspective, you may think that you are bringing up valid points however if the majority of people are disagreeing with you, maybe its time to look at your stance on a particular matter differently.

4thand1
05-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Ok, so dont use it, and continue to deal with the responses of the people that you feel should be banned for not breaking the rules.

If you are after clarification of the rules, then you'll have to ask another moderator, because I dont have the patience to explain how some people, no matter the circumstance, are never going to be satisfied with the answers given.

Yes, why should a moderator know and explain the rule regarding personal attacks?

Or was your one word response, "context", sufficient explanation in your view?

Moke
05-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Hey dude,

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?483-Code-of-Conduct&p=158955#post158955

Die-Hard
so basically with personal attacks, mods pick and choose who to warn or ban based on a subjective opinion regarding the context?

If I say yes, will you drop it?

EliDaMANning
My advise would be for everyone to have a lighter tone and keep things friendly. Although admittedly that is not an option after an ugly loss, but I digress.

I've noticed that you attempt to belittle other members you believe are at odds with you, so a different approach may go a long way.why you mad bro?

Moke
05-20-2013, 10:40 AM
why you mad bro?

Judging by his comment, he doesn't seem mad at all.

Imgrate
05-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes, why should a moderator know and explain the rule regarding personal attacks? Because if you can read and have normal social skills, then understanding what a personal attack is and when it occurs should be very simple. People are not nominated to be mods for no reason at all, they tend to be level headed and have a good grasp of how everyone on this forum generally communicates. Of course, you know this and are obviously just trying to be controversial because you have a hard time communicating with non Ole Miss fans