PDA

View Full Version : Nassib vs Barkley Comparison

qroze
05-12-2013, 05:10 AM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/22/4250878/2013-nfl-draft-debate-matt-barkley-ryan-nassib

Apologize if this has been posted already but I thought it was a nice read.

Rat_bastich
05-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Not being a homer, but I think I would take a 3rd grader over any USC quarterback of the last 8 years. Nassib wins by default. Funny how the Bills went with Manuel over either one though.

qroze
05-12-2013, 05:25 AM
Not being a homer, but I think I would take a 3rd grader over any USC quarterback of the last 8 years. Nassib wins by default. Funny how the Bills went with Manuel over either one though.
Yeah, Bills taking Manuel as early as they did was quite the surprise.

Rat_bastich
05-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Because of one of the weaker classes of quarterback coming out in a few years, it should be interesting to see who develops. I kind of get a feeling that every quarterback this year is going to get the Jimmy Clausen treatment. Meaning that they are just going to be there until something better comes along. Very strange and interesting draft for quarterbacks this year though.

giantsfam04
05-12-2013, 05:58 AM
I think Manuel has the best shot out of all of them to produce right away, especially in that offense they are going to run in Buffalo.

BeatYale
05-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Yeah, Bills taking Manuel as early as they did was quite the surprise.

Yeah it was.

Ultimately he seems to be the best choice for them though based on what I've read.

It's a copy cat league. The Bills took notice of a lot of young QB's like RG3, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson having significant success with the read option. Then they drafted the only QB who had experience running the read option. Also, he had a great private workout for them in Florida under bad weather conditions, which made them feel more at ease about him playing outside in Buffalo.

TheAnalyst
05-12-2013, 08:54 AM
I think Manuel has the best shot out of all of them to produce right away, especially in that offense they are going to run in Buffalo.

I don't. Manuel is going to take a year or 2 to develop an NFL intelligence out there as a QB. Buffalo is going to be faced with an issue next year, do they continue with Manuel, or draft a top QB in 2014.

I think the Bucs may have gotten the best QB of all in Glennon, he will be ready before any other QB. The question is will he beat out Freeman or not.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 08:56 AM

produce I don't know, but him and Geno have the best chance at starting..

qroze
05-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Can't wait to see how all these players pan out

G-Men4Supes
05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Hadn't seen it. Thanks for posting that.

BlueSanta
05-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Manuel was so bad in big games at FSU. And, while he was very good once in a rhythm his mechanics and decisions were horrific in pressure situations in close games.

He is a good athlete and a classy kid. He throws a very pretty ball and his teammates responded well to his leadership. But anyone who saw FSU play enough will know what I am talking about.

In pressure situations he would:
- throw it on a rope, when he should use touch.
- use touch when he should drive it.
- overthrow a guy on a 10 yard post, by 20 yards. His overthrows sometimes left his Wrs very exposed to nasty hits.
- try to do too much and if he is having a bad game he would make it worse by trying even harder to be a 1 man team.
- Make a beautiful run( he is a good athlete) and carry the ball like an idiot resulting in an idiotic fumble.
- Throw it late over the middle. When combined with his tendency to overthrow pressure passes this 1 in particular was a bad trait.

As good as FSU has been on defense recently they have underachieved the last couple seasons and that is because at least once or twice a year EJ would have a game that was catastrophic and no amount of great defensive plays could overcome his mistakes.

GiantRoc
05-13-2013, 04:05 AM
As bad as the QB position has been in Buffalo, just about anything is an upgrade. Its funny to listen to Bills' fans trying to get excited over this kid. A lot of question marks on his ability to go along with a horrible track record on QB drafts since Kelly left. (that's a long time folks)

GreenZone
05-13-2013, 04:14 AM
What would've been really interesting from a football perspective is if Buffalo also drafted Nassib in the second round to compete with Manuel. It would have given them two shots at a star quarterback, a healthy competition between the two, and a likely similar value to the runner up of the competition for trade bait that might be there for the Giants as it is.

Why not? The strategy nearly saved the season for the Skinny's last year (although with a high 1 and a 3rd). A better chance at a star quarterback is worth a 1 and a 2.

Nice read. Thanks for posting.

PRGiant
05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Woods is solid though and they needed help at WR. Geno is gonna be in a world of hurt cause the Jets don't have any WR AGAIN. I kinda feel sorry for Sanchez and Geno. No shot to succeed.

giantsfan420
05-13-2013, 07:19 PM
i know that the whole qb relation to YAC is a topic from last month, but i just found this telling. its basically my stance word for word on how the QB's accuracy helps maximize YAC...
No. 1: Accuracy

Being accurate with the football is critical to quarterbacking success, and ball placement is especially critical in an offense like Doug Marrone's and Nathaniel Hackett's, which utilizes West Coast concepts and relies on yards after the catch. A quarterback in that system needs to put the ball in precise locations to maximize the yardage potential of each throw.

Astorian
05-13-2013, 09:53 PM
i know that the whole qb relation to YAC is a topic from last month, but i just found this telling. its basically my stance word for word on how the QB's accuracy helps maximize YAC...
No. 1: Accuracy

Being accurate with the football is critical to quarterbacking success, and ball placement is especially critical in an offense like Doug Marrone's and Nathaniel Hackett's, which utilizes West Coast concepts and relies on yards after the catch. A quarterback in that system needs to put the ball in precise locations to maximize the yardage potential of each throw.Yes. That's one of the reasons Montana was so great -- he almost always laid the ball perfectly in the receiver's hands. The receiver never had to break stride, and therefore picked up lots of YAC.

giantsfan420
05-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Yes. That's one of the reasons Montana was so great -- he almost always laid the ball perfectly in the receiver's hands. The receiver never had to break stride, and therefore picked up lots of YAC.believe it or not, there were posters here who disputed said claim...and acted like they were geniuses while doing so lmfao