PDA

View Full Version : Taylor's The Name; Toughness, The Game

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 01:44 PM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6127

Excerpt: "Giants’ safety Cooper Taylor smiled when he was asked what it was like to don the big helmet emblazoned with the “NY” logo on either side for the first time.

“It’s kind of completion of a goal to get to this level after all I went through,” he said as he briefly broke eye contact to glance at the helmet hanging in his temporary locker stall in the middle of the Giants’ locker room.“I was so excited to put that helmet on for the first time for practice that I think I spent about 15-20 minutes trying to calm myself down,” he added.

On a first glance, Taylor, all 6-4, 228 lbs. of him, looks like your average boy next door. He’s clean cut with dark blond hair. He has an engaging and pleasant personality, and looks people in the eye, regardless of how well he knows them.For as laid back as his off-field demeanor on the field is, he’s a completely different person on the field — a tough rookie whose experiences of the last five years have taught him more about himself and about life than anything a coach could.

A Life-changing Event

Like all rookies, Taylor went to college and had a productive career as a safety, beginning with his time at Georgia Tech where, according to his collegiate bio (http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26800&ATCLID=205207658), in just three games started as a freshman, he ranked second on the team and second among all ACC freshmen in tackles (69), including 45 solo tackles.

Unlike all rookies, Taylor’s career hit a major bump in the road when in 2009 after three games, the then-19-year-old was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) Syndrome, a rare heart condition that affects a small percentage of the population and which is usually present at birth in the form of an extra, abnormal electrical pathway in the heart.

For Taylor, who got the news after an electrocardiogram (EKG) was performed on him following his exit from a game against Miami on Sept. 17 after he reported an unusual heartbeat rhythm to the team doctors, the diagnosis and what it potentially meant was, understandably, devastating.“

As a kid playing college football, that is your life,” he said. “I thought football was going to be taken away from me. I really thought if you have a heart condition, my career would be done.” Read more...

NYGfanSTRICK
05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
I bet this kid would be a good matchup with some of the bigger faster TE's in the league today. I do not think he will be a LB type he looks pretty thin but I think he could be a 3rd safety/specialty player for sure.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I think Super Cooper has that 3rd safety/hybrid LB role in him.. I'm honestly most excited about him and Herman

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I bet this kid would be a good matchup with some of the bigger faster TE's in the league today. I do not think he will be a LB type he looks pretty thin but I think he could be a 3rd safety/specialty player for sure.

Sounds like a good pick.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
I think Super Cooper has that 3rd safety/hybrid LB role in him.. I'm honestly most excited about him and Herman

I know many were disappointed about not selecting a LB, but here is Cooper and we also have Moore who are being talked about in terms of being developed as hybrid players to play at LB and DE or S. Can that be the answer, even in the short term with the 3 safety scheme.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 04:32 PM
I know many were disappointed about not selecting a LB, but here is Cooper and we also have Moore who are being talked about in terms of being developed as hybrid players to play at LB and DE or S. Can that be the answer, even in the short term with the 3 safety scheme.

with all these read options QBs now, these two could be huge..

Toadofsteel
05-12-2013, 05:33 PM
I think Cooper's ability to cover TE will actually make us more potent at LB than drafting an actual LB would. If we use him in a 3 safety set, it would be like having the best of both worlds... he'd be good against the run and the pass...

One other thing that having versatile players around would help in is that you could change the formations even when facing a no-huddle. Taylor could line up as a linebacker or a safety, Moore could line up as a linebacker or DE, continually showing new looks and defeat the purpose of the no-huddle (forcing the same look each time)...

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
with all these read options QBs now, these two could be huge..

Speed and quickness will be key and I think both have that.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I think Cooper's ability to cover TE will actually make us more potent at LB than drafting an actual LB would. If we use him in a 3 safety set, it would be like having the best of both worlds... he'd be good against the run and the pass...

One other thing that having versatile players around would help in is that you could change the formations even when facing a no-huddle. Taylor could line up as a linebacker or a safety, Moore could line up as a linebacker or DE, continually showing new looks and defeat the purpose of the no-huddle (forcing the same look each time)...

Interesting point

BlueBlitzer
05-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Rolle, Brown, Hill , and now Cooper. I'd say the Giants safety pos. is in very good hands.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Rolle, Brown, Hill , and now Cooper. I'd say the Giants safety pos. is in very good hands.

don't forget Sash & Mundy.. aka the law firm

repeatchamps
05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Nice to see someone on the defensive side of the ball with the name Taylor on his Jersey once again. That alone is worth the draft pick lol.

Toadofsteel
05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Nice to see someone on the defensive side of the ball with the name Taylor on his Jersey once again. That alone is worth the draft pick lol.

Lol imagine if this kid becomes the best LB/S in the league... Not like it's likely to happen, but if it did, we might have to give this kid #56...

repeatchamps
05-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Lol imagine if this kid becomes the best LB/S in the league... Not like it's likely to happen, but if it did, we might have to give this kid #56...

They'd have to unretire the number which was done many years ago. Don't think that's happening lol.

Buddy333
05-13-2013, 12:14 PM
They have some interesting players on defense.

Tbonenc
05-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Imagine that, the Giants organization might know WTF they are doing. And for a minute there, I thought we would have to hire one of this boards faithful to show Reese and the boys how to do it.

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 05:12 PM

I can't see that happening.

giantscolombia
05-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Dude! your avatar or profile pic or whatever that's called is sooo trippy/borderline creepy.

JsBigBlue
05-14-2013, 12:54 AM

One other thing that having versatile players around would help in is that you could change the formations even when facing a no-huddle. Taylor could line up as a linebacker or a safety, Moore could line up as a linebacker or DE, continually showing new looks and defeat the purpose of the no-huddle (forcing the same look each time)... I agree with yeah and can totally see this happening.

TheAnalyst
05-14-2013, 11:37 AM
"He's dealt with knee and pectoral injuries along with two broken hands since 2011 as well."

Sounds like our kind of guy! lol