PDA

View Full Version : Jerrel Jernigan could fill Victor Cruz void for Giants (NFL.com)

Toadofsteel
05-12-2013, 05:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000168654/article/jerrell-jernigan-could-fill-victor-cruz-void-for-giants

New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride admits he hasn't given the Victor Cruz situation a lot of thought. Cruz has yet to sign his $2.879 million contract tender. Gilbride has nothing to do with the business end of things, and he's staying out of it. Instead, the coach looks to what he does have. The absence of Cruz means an opportunity for third-year wideout Jerrel Jernigan.

"I'm certainly looking forward to (Cruz) being back, I don't want to give any impression contrary to that, but certainly I'm looking forward to what J.J. can do inside," Gilbride said, via the Giants' official website. "I think it's about time he steps up and we feel he has enough ability and he's been here long enough.

"Until Victor gets back he'll be the main guy inside at the slot position. It's a chance for him to shine and step forward and do the things that we believe he can do."

This is not the first time Gilbride has talked up Jernigan as a potential difference-maker for the Giants. Jernigan appeared in just nine games last season, finishing with three catches for 22 yards.

Don't expect Cruz to get Wally Pipp'd out of his job in the slot. Jernigan has failed to make an impact in his first two seasons. Any extra reps he might receive will provide the opportunity to show he still belongs.

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000168654/article/jerrell-jernigan-could-fill-victor-cruz-void-for-giants

New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride admits he hasn't given the Victor Cruz situation a lot of thought. Cruz has yet to sign his $2.879 million contract tender. Gilbride has nothing to do with the business end of things, and he's staying out of it. Instead, the coach looks to what he does have. The absence of Cruz means an opportunity for third-year wideout Jerrel Jernigan.

"I'm certainly looking forward to (Cruz) being back, I don't want to give any impression contrary to that, but certainly I'm looking forward to what J.J. can do inside," Gilbride said, via the Giants' official website. "I think it's about time he steps up and we feel he has enough ability and he's been here long enough.

"Until Victor gets back he'll be the main guy inside at the slot position. It's a chance for him to shine and step forward and do the things that we believe he can do."

This is not the first time Gilbride has talked up Jernigan as a potential difference-maker for the Giants. Jernigan appeared in just nine games last season, finishing with three catches for 22 yards.

Don't expect Cruz to get Wally Pipp'd out of his job in the slot. Jernigan has failed to make an impact in his first two seasons. Any extra reps he might receive will provide the opportunity to show he still belongs.

first off, that's a lie

jomo
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
first off, that's a lielol, there are about 30 statements in that article, are you referring to all of them?

Carter.525
05-12-2013, 05:28 PM
lol, there are about 30 statements in that article, are you referring to all of them?

ahh.. The bolded one

Rudyy
05-12-2013, 05:28 PM
(Yawn) Slow day at NFL.com I guess.

jomo
05-12-2013, 05:32 PM
ahh.. The bolded one..............Ahah! In that case I agree.

Toadofsteel
05-12-2013, 05:33 PM
I just posted the article text. I'm choosing to refrain from commenting on it... because of my biased opinion about killdrive.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Cruz wouldn't be on the field now even if he were making $20M per year. We all want to see what Jernigan has to offer, I hope he takes advantage of every opportunity. As for Jernigan "replacing" Cruz, that's not what Gilbride said.

BlueBlitzer
05-12-2013, 06:24 PM
JJ is looking more like JJ from " Good Times " DYNOMITE !

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
If I was KG I wouldn't be to worried either...atleast not the way he publically worried when we let Smith go. Look the slot position in his scheme has created two pro-bowl WR's. Don't get it twisted I want Cruz, I think he is a great talent but we cant blowup our cap space especially with Nicks contract right around the corner. Cruz better be careful though bc if JJ shows he's more than capable of playing the position it will hurt Cruz in contract talks.

Buddy333
05-12-2013, 07:47 PM
This should be fun. If he doesn't sign the team should just quit according to some.

appodictic
05-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Yes Jerrigan can fill in for cruz like hixon can fill in for plax. Dont worry about adjusting kg :)

Buddy333
05-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Other than everyone comparing him unfairly to Moss why can he not fill in?

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 07:56 PM

The answer is he can, the question is will he

Buddy333
05-12-2013, 07:59 PM
The answer is he can, the question is will heOf course. Don't think anyone said he is a guarantee. If they thought that way there would be no offer for Cruz.

RoanokeFan
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Of course. Don't think anyone said he is a guarantee. If they thought that way there would be no offer for Cruz.

Jernigan has to make his case between now and opening day.

Captain Chaos
05-13-2013, 06:54 AM

Yeah, Moss was injured early on in his tenor as a Giant.

Joe Morrison
05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah, Moss was injured early on in his tenor as a Giant.
Practice players, that's all they are, have a role, don't see him ever being an impact on offense or special teams, has gotten a couple shots and came up empty.

Shockeystays08
05-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Practice players, that's all they are, have a role, don't see him ever being an impact on offense or special teams, has gotten a couple shots and came up empty.

Untrue, Jernigan has been given virtually no shot in the slot.He has been playing behind Cruz. The few oppurtunities he has had he came through. Last season, 3 for 3 on catchable throws, no drops ,2 went for first downs that sustained a drive and one shot at a kickoff return which went for 60 yards. Not to shabby! In fact how can you even say he's had a couple of shots and came up empty? A couple of shots yes, came up empty, wrong. I hope your not referring to his punt muffs his rookie year. Most of us have moved passed that considering he had no mini camp no OTA's. Even after that he worked his way up to being our KR in the Super Bowl and did quite well.

DownWitJPP
05-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Jernigan has to make his case between now and opening day. he had a very good training camp last year, he just never had much of a chance to get on the field besides 4 wide sets

DownWitJPP
05-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Untrue, Jernigan has been given virtually no shot in the slot.He has been playing behind Cruz. The few oppurtunities he has had he came through. Last season, 3 for 3 on catchable throws, no drops ,2 went for first downs that sustained a drive and one shot at a kickoff return which went for 60 yards. Not to shabby! In fact how can you even say he's had a couple of shots and came up empty? A couple of shots yes, came up empty, wrong. I hope your not referring to his punt muffs his rookie year. Most of us have moved passed that considering he had no mini camp no OTA's. Even after that he worked his way up to being our KR in the Super Bowl and did quite well. couldn't have said it any better...good post

amukamerica
05-18-2013, 07:10 PM
nothing i've ever really seen from JJ has made me think he shouldn't be on the field. let the kid get some playing time regardless of what happens with cruz.

BigBlueAllDay
05-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I think they're just using JJ to help run their practices, schemes, and drills for the entire offense with him at the slot WR position. Just because Cruz hasn't signed yet, doesn't mean the rest of the offense has to wait for him to proceed with practices and drills.

Thiergow
05-18-2013, 08:00 PM
If Cruz holds out during TC, Jernigan will have a huge advantage over Cruz for this season.

Shockeystays08
05-18-2013, 09:47 PM
couldn't have said it any better...good post

Thank you sir!

ELI_HOF_NYG
05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
jernigan has nothing on cruz,,could he replace him in the slot? sure if your just talking about him standing in position. he will come nowhere near the numbers cruz has put up consistently.

RoanokeFan
05-19-2013, 07:50 AM
jernigan has nothing on cruz,,could he replace him in the slot? sure if your just talking about him standing in position. he will come nowhere near the numbers cruz has put up consistently.

Hopefully we won't find out in 2013 as we make the run for the Super Bowl at home

Joe Morrison
05-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Untrue, Jernigan has been given virtually no shot in the slot.He has been playing behind Cruz. The few oppurtunities he has had he came through. Last season, 3 for 3 on catchable throws, no drops ,2 went for first downs that sustained a drive and one shot at a kickoff return which went for 60 yards. Not to shabby! In fact how can you even say he's had a couple of shots and came up empty? A couple of shots yes, came up empty, wrong. I hope your not referring to his punt muffs his rookie year. Most of us have moved passed that considering he had no mini camp no OTA's. Even after that he worked his way up to being our KR in the Super Bowl and did quite well.
You pick out 3 plays he made, are you telling me he was only on the field for 3 plays, what about the punt that went over his head, why wasn't he open more when he was on the field to get more catches. You can't pull out a 3 play highlight reel and make your case.

NorwoodBlue
05-19-2013, 11:45 AM
The real post should have been Randle & Jerrnigan could replace Cruz, if necesary. Randle will take on the outside duties in a two WR set, and he may well be a very good WR on the outside. When a slot man is brought in it would probably be Jerrnigan with Randle staying outside. I know it will probably offend the Cruz-nuts; but, I really don't see a huge drop-off in talent in those situations. Randle is a more natural outside receiver than Cruz, and with Randle still on the field, Jerrnigan becomes the third receiver, going against a nickel back. I have to beleive there are going to be plenty of opportunities for Eli to connect.

With Murphy as a bit of an unknown factor, and Meyers as a good receiving TE; I see the passing game being as potent as ever.

That said, Cruz needs ot stop playing his silly games and get his money locked up. All he's doing right now is squabbling over how much he's going to pay the IRS, it really isn't about lifestyle or anything else at that level of salary. He needs to get a deal done and play football. If he's not doing that, he's wasting his talent.

brad
05-19-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't know if JJ can match the production that Cruz had, but I do think he would do well as a slot receiver in the Giants system. The question is, would he be the one replacing Cruz? Personally, I doubt he would. It is more likely that Randle becomes the second outside receiver with Murphy taking the #3 spot. Throw in a healthy Nicks and you have a receiving group that is going to put up some pretty good numbers with Eli throwing to them.

That being said, having Cruz just makes that group better... but if push came to shove, this offense isn't going to fall apart if he wasn't part of the team.

GameTime
05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
there is no reason or proof that he can do so. I hope it isnt necessary. If it is I hope they are right in what they think he can do....

joemorrisforprez
05-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Jernigan = Sinorice Rice v2.0

joemorrisforprez
05-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Wish Reese had gone offensive line with that pick.

gumby74
05-19-2013, 11:09 PM
JJ probably can't match Cruz's production, but i have every bit of confidence that he'd be an adequate replacement - especially with Eli showing he can throw to just about anyone.

Thiergow
05-20-2013, 08:55 AM
There is one thing to consider: how much of Cruz's production comes from the fact that he has one of the best QBs of the league throwing him the ball? I really don't think that Cruz would have the same production with inferior QB such as Schaub, Flacco or Stafford giving him the ball. He wouldn't suck either with guys like that but is production would just be ordinary.

I think that Victor's production is 75% thanks to Manning and 25% (you could even say 65/35 if you want to defend Cruz's case). So even though Jernigan does not have Cruz's route running ability, he would benefit a lot from working šore with Eli.

gumby74
05-20-2013, 10:06 AM
There is one thing to consider: how much of Cruz's production comes from the fact that he has one of the best QBs of the league throwing him the ball? I really don't think that Cruz would have the same production with inferior QB such as Schaub, Flacco or Stafford giving him the ball. He wouldn't suck either with guys like that but is production would just be ordinary.

I think that Victor's production is 75% thanks to Manning and 25% (you could even say 65/35 if you want to defend Cruz's case). So even though Jernigan does not have Cruz's route running ability, he would benefit a lot from working šore with Eli.

I completely disagree The Texans and Balt run the ball very well. Cruz will have a field day. Stafford has C. Johnson. Cruz will have a field day. Like it or not, Flacco is showing the same progression as Eli as a QB. Not very flashy. Not a whole lof ot public respect. But the guy wins and gets it done. Stafford has already shown what he can do when healthy. Schaub is solid.

GameTime
05-20-2013, 10:09 AM

come on man......Cruz is a very good WR. Def not 75/25......no way...They compliment each other...

Thiergow
05-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I completely disagree The Texans and Balt run the ball very well. Cruz will have a field day. Stafford has C. Johnson. Cruz will have a field day. Like it or not, Flacco is showing the same progression as Eli as a QB. Not very flashy. Not a whole lof ot public respect. But the guy wins and gets it done. Stafford has already shown what he can do when healthy. Schaub is solid.
I'm not discussing these QB talent but I did not say that they are crappy QBs. They are just not as good as Eli and that's a fact.

I have seen Stafford throw to CJ in double/triple coverage when there were other WR/TE wide open. Same goes for Schaub. Flacco was really good during the 2012 PO but still not as good as Eli and can be reckless on occasions (just like in 2007). I agree that Flacco is following Eli's path but he's just not there yet.

The thing is that most of these guys have a go to guy that they'll look for in priority while Eli has a superior vision of the field and throws to whoever is open. As I said, Cruz would just be ordinary in those offense while he is special with (and thanks to) Eli.

come on man......Cruz is a very good WR. Def not 75/25......no way...They compliment each other...
If Cruz were that good he wouldn't struggle that much when Nicks isn't around to get some pressure off him. I like Cruz, I think he's a good WR but still he has shown limitations when he was the only viable receiving option on the field.

joemorrisforprez
05-20-2013, 12:32 PM

I understand what you're saying....but I still go back to that Jets game.....Cruz took a quick pass and saved the Giants season with his YAC.

Moke
05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
That YAC was pretty friggen awesome. Totally saved the season there.

Thiergow
05-20-2013, 01:54 PM
I understand what you're saying....but I still go back to that Jets game.....Cruz took a quick pass and saved the Giants season with his YAC.
Don't get me wrong: I completely agree that Cruz has a playmaking ability that sets him apart from other guys but considering that he has been pretty much a non factor when double teamed (he disappeared during the 2011 PO because teams were more afraid of him than Nicks and also was invisible when Nicks was not perceived as a threat) that makes me think that he is not that special (meaning that he is good but that's it) and that's why the Giants are right to not treat as a special player by giving him a huge contract.

Same goes for the unknown TE that have breakout seasons with the Giants. What is the common factor? Eli. Does that mean that the WR/TE don't deserve credit? Absolutely not but we just have to take into account who is throwing the ball when assessing their performance IMO.

fansince69
05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
These are all the exact same arguments that the same people used when we replaced Smith with Cruz...we all see how that worked out...Cruz replaced smith ...JJ replaces Cruz......Funny how people can make a judgment on a player they really have never seen play......

Joe Morrison
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
These are all the exact same arguments that the same people used when we replaced Smith with Cruz...we all see how that worked out...Cruz replaced smith ...JJ replaces Cruz......Funny how people can make a judgment on a player they really have never seen play......
If JJ comes in and gets 1000 + yards this season I will meet you for Dinner and I'll buy.

RoanokeFan
05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Don't get me wrong: I completely agree that Cruz has a playmaking ability that sets him apart from other guys but considering that he has been pretty much a non factor when double teamed (he disappeared during the 2011 PO because teams were more afraid of him than Nicks and also was invisible when Nicks was not perceived as a threat) that makes me think that he is not that special (meaning that he is good but that's it) and that's why the Giants are right to not treat as a special player by giving him a huge contract.

Same goes for the unknown TE that have breakout seasons with the Giants. What is the common factor? Eli. Does that mean that the WR/TE don't deserve credit? Absolutely not but we just have to take into account who is throwing the ball when assessing their performance IMO.

I have to ask. How does the most productive receiver in 2011 and 2012 "disappear"?

fansince69
05-20-2013, 07:51 PM
If JJ comes in and gets 1000 + yards this season I will meet you for Dinner and I'll buy.so ...let me get this straight....when Smith left....you were convinced Cruz would be a 1000 yd guy before you ever saw him play?....if you reply yes....show me where you said it

Thiergow
05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I have to ask. How does the most productive receiver in 2011 and 2012 "disappear"?
Can you really say that 2012 was a productive season? I can't. He led the league in drops and had 100 yards game only against weak secondaries and one 3 TD game against the Browns.
Cruz in 2012 was not as spectacular as the one I saw in 2011 IMO. When we needed him the most he was nowhere to be found: PIT, 5 rec for 50 yards, CIN 3 rec for 26 yards, ATL 3 rec for 15 yards and BAL 3 rec for 21 yards. The only exception was the L against the Redskins were he had a good game but as I said he was going up against a bad secondary.
So to me that's why I think Cruz disappeared in 2012. He's been good otherwise but he has shown limitations against superior competition without Nicks to get some pressure off him.

OX1
05-20-2013, 08:16 PM

He had 10 games last year he never broke 60 yards and averaged only 38 per game.
What do you want to call it?

RoanokeFan
05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Can you really say that 2012 was a productive season? I can't. He led the league in drops and had 100 yards game only against weak secondaries and one 3 TD game against the Browns.
Cruz in 2012 was not as spectacular as the one I saw in 2011 IMO. When we needed him the most he was nowhere to be found: PIT, 5 rec for 50 yards, CIN 3 rec for 26 yards, ATL 3 rec for 15 yards and BAL 3 rec for 21 yards. The only exception was the L against the Redskins were he had a good game but as I said he was going up against a bad secondary.
So to me that's why I think Cruz disappeared in 2012. He's been good otherwise but he has shown limitations against superior competition without Nicks to get some pressure off him.

He didn't lead the League in drops. He was tied for second at ten with three top 5 receivers so let's not pretend he's the only receiver who drops passes. Does he need to clean that up, of course, but that doesn't define all he brings to the table. There was a post here yesterday or today comparing Cruz's numbers over 2011 and 2012 with Larry Fitzgerald.

"Compare his first two seasons on the field (2011 and 2012) with the production of highly paid Arizona Cardinals star Larry Fitzgerald (who we all can agree is elite) in that same time span: Cruz had 168 catches for 2,628 yards while Fitzgerald had 151 catches for 2,209 yards."

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/20/new-york-giants-monday-morning-hangover-big-blue-views-victor-cruz-as-more-than-slot-receiver/

Thiergow
05-20-2013, 08:33 PM
He didn't lead the League in drops. He was tied for second at ten with three top 5 receivers so let's not pretend he's the only receiver who drops passes. Does he need to clean that up, of course, but that doesn't define all he brings to the table. There was a post here yesterday or today comparing Cruz's numbers over 2011 and 2012 with Larry Fitzgerald.

"Compare his first two seasons on the field (2011 and 2012) with the production of highly paid Arizona Cardinals star Larry Fitzgerald (who we all can agree is elite) in that same time span: Cruz had 168 catches for 2,628 yards while Fitzgerald had 151 catches for 2,209 yards."

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/20/new-york-giants-monday-morning-hangover-big-blue-views-victor-cruz-as-more-than-slot-receiver/
My bad, indeed he did not lead the league in drops however he was still near the top and had drop ratio superior that the 3 other WR (I won't call Marshall and Thomas top 5 yet but that's another debate). This still proves that he took a stepback from 2011.

As for the Fitzgerald comparison I don't think it helps Cruz case very much: he had Eli Manning throwing him the ball meanwhile Fitz did almost as well as Cruz with one of the worst QB squad in recent years. Would Cruz be able to be as productive as Fitz with Kolb, Skelton and co? Probably not. That's my point.

RoanokeFan
05-20-2013, 08:37 PM
My bad, indeed he did not lead the league in drops however he was still near the top and had drop ratio superior that the 3 other WR (I won't call Marshall and Thomas top 5 yet but that's another debate). This still proves that he took a stepback from 2011.

As for the Fitzgerald comparison I don't think it helps Cruz case very much: he had Eli Manning throwing him the ball meanwhile Fitz did almost as well as Cruz with one of the worst QB squad in recent years. Would Cruz be able to be as productive as Fitz with Kolb, Skelton and co. Probably not. That's my point.

He does play with Eli and he's been Eli's most productive receiver for the two years he's has played with Eli. No one knows answers to hypothetical questions about "what if." But it's a fact he had better numbers than Fitzgerald for those two years. We will agree to disagree.

Thiergow
05-20-2013, 08:42 PM
He does play with Eli and he's been Eli's most productive receiver for the two years he's has played with Eli. No one knows answers to hypothetical questions about "what if." But it's a fact he had better numbers than Fitzgerald for those two years. We will agree to disagree.
And it is fact that he had a far superior QB than Fitz, so that's why I don't think it's relevant to compare these two players.

EDIT: reading back the conversation, I thought I lost my initial point which was that Cruz's production comes essentially from Manning and that's why Jernigan could be a viable option in the slot.

Of course, regarding what we just said we can agree to disagree. ;)

ryan12
05-21-2013, 02:00 PM
JJ IS TERRIBLE and might not make it out of training camp

Thiergow
05-21-2013, 02:12 PM
If JJ appears to be terrible, according to the Moss-Barden jurisprudence, he will remain at least 15 years before JR and co give him the boot

DownWitJPP
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
JJ IS TERRIBLE and might not make it out of training camp you base your opinion off what? 5 plays in which he caught 3 last year and a 60 yard kickoff return? or pre-season where all the beat writers were writing that he was making circus catches ever day at practice? or the coaching staff (Gilbride) raving about his potential?

It certainly can't be based off of what he has done on the field because lets face it...he hasn't be on it much. He hasn't played not because he is terrible like you claim, but because he has a 1200 yd/year receiver playing in front of him.

fansince69
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
you base your opinion off what? 5 plays in which he caught 3 last year and a 60 yard kickoff return? or pre-season where all the beat writers were writing that he was making circus catches ever day at practice? or the coaching staff (Gilbride) raving about his potential?

It certainly can't be based off of what he has done on the field because lets face it...he hasn't be on it much. He hasn't played not because he is terrible like you claim, but because he has a 1200 yd/year receiver playing in front of him.speaking logic to illogical people is fruitless

rebelfan1966
05-21-2013, 03:04 PM
And the games continue... who is blinking first?

DownWitJPP
05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
If JJ appears to be terrible, according to the Moss-Barden jurisprudence, he will remain at least 15 years before JR and co give him the boot we don't usually cut 3rd round draft picks, they play out their contract just like Barden did. We give our draft picks time to develop

ryan12
05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
you base your opinion off what? 5 plays in which he caught 3 last year and a 60 yard kickoff return? or pre-season where all the beat writers were writing that he was making circus catches ever day at practice? or the coaching staff (Gilbride) raving about his potential?

It certainly can't be based off of what he has done on the field because lets face it...he hasn't be on it much. He hasn't played not because he is terrible like you claim, but because he has a 1200 yd/year receiver playing in front of him.

he had oppurtunites to play with nicks hurt almost all year but those reps and plays went to barden and randle because jj isnt good. he might make it as our #5 wr but that becuase of him already being under contract. cruz nicks randle meyers murphy= jj buried on bench or cut

DownWitJPP
05-21-2013, 03:27 PM
he had oppurtunites to play with nicks hurt almost all year but those reps and plays went to barden and randle because jj isnt good. he might make it as our #5 wr but that becuase of him already being under contract. cruz nicks randle meyers murphy= jj buried on bench or cut Nicks and Jernigan play two completely different positions, all receivers are not interchangeable. Nicks is an X reciever...Jernigan is neither big enough or strong enough to play that position. It has nothing to do with him being "terrible".

Cruz is an exception, he can play both the Z and Slot. Jernigan is a SLOT reciever, he doesn't fit much anywhere else. He was drafted to take over the slot before we knew we had a superstar in Cruz. No one including our coaching staff knew Cruz would turn into the player he did with 2 back to back 1200 yd seasons

Randle, Barden and Murphy are all big strong receivers who can play outside so of course if Nicks got hurt they would be playing out wide ahead of Jernigan

Thiergow
05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
we don't usually cut 3rd round draft picks, they play out their contract just like Barden did. We give our draft picks time to develop
Yep that's basically what I'm saying. It can be annoying from the fan point of view to see a useless guy waste a roster spot but from the point of view of the management it's the good thing to do: you give every opportunity for a guy to prove that he is worth something.

Joe Morrison
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Maybe Sincore Moss gave JJ the pics when he left!

ryan12
05-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Nicks and Jernigan play two completely different positions, all receivers are not interchangeable. Nicks is an X reciever...Jernigan is neither big enough or strong enough to play that position. It has nothing to do with him being "terrible".

Cruz is an exception, he can play both the Z and Slot. Jernigan is a SLOT reciever, he doesn't fit much anywhere else. He was drafted to take over the slot before we knew we had a superstar in Cruz. No one including our coaching staff knew Cruz would turn into the player he did with 2 back to back 1200 yd seasons

Randle, Barden and Murphy are all big strong receivers who can play outside so of course if Nicks got hurt they would be playing out wide ahead of Jernigan

your right JJ is great

Kruunch
05-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I'll be kind of surprised if JJ makes the 53 man roster this year.

fansince69
05-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I'll be kind of surprised if JJ makes the 53 man roster this year.hope you like surprises

Shockeystays08
05-21-2013, 04:30 PM
he had oppurtunites to play with nicks hurt almost all year but those reps and plays went to barden and randle because jj isnt good. he might make it as our #5 wr but that becuase of him already being under contract. cruz nicks randle meyers murphy= jj buried on bench or cut

JJ plays the slot slick! Your argument is less than weak.

Shockeystays08
05-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I'll be kind of surprised if JJ makes the 53 man roster this year.

Well surprises are nice! Get ready for him to not only make the 53 but to contribute nicely!

Shockeystays08
05-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Well said!! There are some closed minded thick skulls on this board.

Kruunch
05-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Well surprises are nice! Get ready for him to not only make the 53 but to contribute nicely!

I'd be happy if he could manage a first down reception.

Shockeystays08
05-21-2013, 04:36 PM
speaking logic to illogical people is fruitless

Illogical, Closed Minded with Tunnel Vision. Three strikes.

GameTime
05-21-2013, 04:37 PM
well....he may get his chance. From what he has shown so far no one really knows what he can or cannot do...
To weigh in heavily in either direction is just a wild *** guess.

Shockeystays08
05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
I'd be happy if he could manage a first down reception.

Two of his three catches last year went for 1st downs. I believe they came on 3rd down and kept the drive going. In fact Tom made it a point to give him a slap on the helmet as JJ made a tough catch on the sideline for a first down. Consider yourself happy!

Kruunch
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Two of his three catches last year ...

And I rest my case.

I will admit that it was a 300% improvement over 2011 though.

fansince69
05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Illogical, Closed Minded with Tunnel Vision. Three strikes.you do realize that I agree with you ...right?

Shockeystays08
05-21-2013, 06:21 PM
you do realize that I agree with you ...right?

Yes I do!!! Sorry I was unclear on that! You mentioned Illogical , I just added closed minded with tunnel vision. I guess I should of just left my weak addition off your already good post. I've been a fan since 65. We have both been at it for a while.

fansince69
05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Yes I do!!! Sorry I was unclear on that! You mentioned Illogical , I just added closed minded with tunnel vision. I guess I should of just left my weak addition off your already good post. I've been a fan since 65. We have both been at it for a while.not a problem...I have always believed JJ just needs a chance and can be a very good player.....I do not think Gilbride knows how to think outside the box when it comes to certain skill sets.....I think he needs to be used in ways similar to Percy Harvin

Shockeystays08
05-21-2013, 10:26 PM
not a problem...I have always believed JJ just needs a chance and can be a very good player.....I do not think Gilbride knows how to think outside the box when it comes to certain skill sets.....I think he needs to be used in ways similar to Percy Harvin

Once again, I agree. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Joe Morrison
05-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Maybe he'll get a shot filling Nick's spot!

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Nicks is under contract for 2013. These are voluntary OTAs and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in attendance today.

Kruunch
05-23-2013, 09:16 AM

Nah, we're re-signing Barden for that.

fansince69
05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Nah, we're re-signing Barden for that.because he is tall

giantscolombia
05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
No, he cant.

Thiergow
05-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Then they can always resign Sinorice Moss if they need other WR.