PDA

View Full Version : How Does Aaron Curry Fit In With The Giants?

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/13/how-does-aaron-curry-fit-with-the-new-york-giants/

Excerpt: "New York Giants' General Manager Jerry Reese has pulled off another of his signature low risk, high reward signings. This time it comes by way of former fourth overall pick, linebacker Aaron Curry (http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/10/breaking-news-new-york-giants-sign-olb-aaron-curry/). The big question becomes, how does Curry fit in with with the Giants' plans at linebacker?

Drafted by the Seakhawks in 2009, Curry never quite lived up to the hype that comes with a top five pick in the draft. After only two seasons, he would be traded to the Oakland Raiders where he spent all but two games of the season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list because of knee issues. The Raiders chose to waive him after only one season.Only 27-years-old, Curry has a chance to start a new career in the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) with the Giants. New York is hoping he can return to the level of play he was capable of coming out of college. Head coach Tom Coughlin spoke with Giants.com (http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Quotes-Coaches-assess-rookies-at-camp/74521b31-fa84-4f1e-a97e-a36d081a073a) about their hopes for Curry.

"He worked out well for us. Of course, he was the fourth pick in the draft. I looked at some of the grades, and the grades were outstanding. So he is anxious to have an opportunity and we are anxious to provide him with one. Hopefully the two will meet and we will get a very talented player who can come into the Giant organization and play the way he was graded coming out of college," Coughlin said." Read more...

TCHOF
05-13-2013, 07:49 AM
What exactly are his "knee issues"?

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
What exactly are his "knee issues"?

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/NYG-signs-former-1st-rounder-Aaron-Curry-/5b6024fb-3607-44f4-bffa-484b26c7a084

penguinfarmer
05-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Instead it looks like he will be competing with newly acquired middle linebacker Dan Connor (http://www.giants101.com/tag/dan-connor/) and Mark Herzlich (http://www.giants101.com/tag/mark-herzlich/) for the starting middle linebacker job.

Eh, still seems like they're trying to fill the MLB void through multiple subpackages. That looks like a competition between three 2-down LBs with maybe more three safety looks.

giantscolombia
05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/NYG-signs-former-1st-rounder-Aaron-Curry-/5b6024fb-3607-44f4-bffa-484b26c7a084

What does it say? if you dont mind...
Cant access at work..
I was wondering the same thing. What exactly are his knee issues?

lamas
05-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Cant access at work..

There aren't any details on the knee injury. The article just says that he injured his knee in Raiders training camp last year. He played in two games in Nov last season and then was released. Then there is a quote from Reese that Curry isn't in great shape because he's been rehabbing.

“He needs to drop some weight. He’s about 265. When he came out he was about 255. He needs to drop some weight, he hasn’t done a lot of cardio, he’s been rehabbing from a knee injury. But he’s in pretty good shape, he did a nice workout for us and hopefully he can step in and create some competition at that position.”

giantscolombia
05-13-2013, 10:45 AM
This is all I can find online:

This is in RotoWorld:

Curry, 27, has made 39 career starts primarily as a strong-side linebacker in Seattle and Oakland. He appeared in only two games last year due to chronic knee soreness

What the heck is knee soreness?

Mercury
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM

This is in RotoWorld:

Curry, 27, has made 39 career starts primarily as a strong-side linebacker in Seattle and Oakland. He appeared in only two games last year due to chronic knee soreness

It's the opposite of Ahmad Bradshaw playing with broken bones in his feet.

darrin99
05-13-2013, 11:12 AM
A quote on ESPN's website says: "Reese acknowledged Curry's previous knee issues are serious", but doesn't give any details.

JesseJames
05-13-2013, 11:19 AM
normally I would think that when a team releases a player who was the 4th overall pick in the draft there is more to it then just a sore knee, I hope this all works out for Curry because then it will be a big plus for the team but I remain a little curious about nobody picking this guy up except the Giants. It looks like just more of us trying to use the Patriots philosophy of picking up other teams castoffs and hoping for a bonanza. I really hope I'm wrong about my feelings and that we finally get a top quality LBer but right now its just more question marks....

TCHOF
05-13-2013, 11:23 AM
It makes me a little nervous that there is so much mystery surrounding his "knee issues". Did he have an ACL tear? Did he have a microfracture situation? A meniscus tear? Arthritis? "Knee issues" could mean a lot of things, some more serious than others . .. .

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Cant access at work..

Excerpt: "Reese said Curry can compete for a job at either middle or strongside linebacker.

Curry played in 35 games for Seattle before being traded to the Raiders on Oct. 12, 2011. That season, he played in 11 games for Oakland. Last year, Curry suffered a knee injury in training camp and was placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. He played at Baltimore on Nov. 11 and vs. New Orleans on Nov. 18. Curry was waived two days after the Raiders lost to the Saints.

“He passed the physical for us and had a pretty good workout,” Reese said. “We think we have a good opportunity for him here to see if he can reinvent himself a little bit and bring something to this linebacking corps.

“He needs to drop some weight. He’s about 265. When he came out he was about 255. He needs to drop some weight, he hasn’t done a lot of cardio, he’s been rehabbing from a knee injury. But he’s in pretty good shape, he did a nice workout for us and hopefully he can step in and create some competition at that position.”

In his career, Curry has played in 48 regular-season games with 39 starts and he started both postseason games in which he played (for the 2010 Seahawks). His totals include 200 tackles (161 solo), 5.5 sacks, 12 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in the regular season and eight tackles (seven solo) and an interception he returned 23 yards in an NFC Divisional Playoff Game at Chicago on Jan. 16, 2011.

Curry was one of the nation’s best collegiate linebackers at Wake Forest, where he was the recipi*ent of the 2008 Butkus Award, presented to the nation’s top linebacker. He played in 51 games with 49 starts for the Demon Deacons and finished third in school history with 45 tackles for losses and ninth with 332 total tack*les. Curry was named All-America and first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference as a senior after leading team with 105 tackles."

RoanokeFan
05-13-2013, 11:55 AM
It makes me a little nervous that there is so much mystery surrounding his "knee issues". Did he have an ACL tear? Did he have a microfracture situation? A meniscus tear? Arthritis? "Knee issues" could mean a lot of things, some more serious than others . .. .

It's hard to find anything definitive. It has been described as a soft tissue injury and started to get better when he has stem cell therapy. I'll keep looking but he did pass our physical.

Carter.525
05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I think he fits best as a middle weakside strong backer..

nygpolishpunk
05-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I think he fits best as a middle weakside strong backer..

I'm thinking more of a weak middle strong backer

TheAnalyst
05-13-2013, 12:32 PM
He will appear in 2-4 games this year. Just a few more less then Rivers.

jomo
05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
You tell me if he will be physically and mentally fit to play and the answer is an easy one.

giantscolombia
05-13-2013, 01:12 PM
He will appear in 2-4 games this year. Just a few more less then Rivers.
The glass squad.

infinite420
05-13-2013, 03:02 PM

This is in RotoWorld:

That's what we heard before Kenny Phillips was diagnosed w his knee arthritis..............

We added some talent to the LB position this offseason w Connor and Curry, to go with Williams, Rivers, Paysinger, Herz, Connor will be a 2 down MIKE, so we can go 3-safety on 3rd down, Curry (depending on health) @ SAM to fill Kiwi's spot last year, while grooming DeMonster for a similar role..............We added a TON of gerth up front which makes me really excited for this year.

sharick88
05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Why are you some of you whining about his knee issues? Dude signed a minimum contract for one year. If he works, awesome. If not, cut him. It is very low risk and ANY contribution he can give is deeply appreciated.

slipknottin
05-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Curry fits best as a Sam. In college he played almost every snap on the line as a standing LB, who never rushed the passer.

If the giants play more 50 front again he may fit well as that up Lb. same place Moore would fit as a joker. But Moore has pass rush ability from that spot while Curry has better coverage ability.

And although the 50 front was terrible with Sheridan, giants actually have the personnel to run it this year, instead of trying to have Osi two gap and relying on Sintim to be that up linebacker.

TCHOF
05-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Why are you some of you whining about his knee issues? Dude signed a minimum contract for one year. If he works, awesome. If not, cut him. It is very low risk and ANY contribution he can give is deeply appreciated.

What's wrong with wondering about how bad his "knee issues" are?

DownWitJPP
05-13-2013, 04:35 PM
nothings wrong with questioning it, we all are just fans anyway. If Curry was able to pass our physical I doubt his knee issue was anything serious or it has fully recovered. We wouldn't waste our time on someone who hasn't been that great on the field AND is injured.

TrueBlue@NYC
05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Typical Reese low risk signing, if he resurrect his career, he'll be a nice boost to the LBer corpse. Just another body to throw into the mix, hoping that someone comes out excelling.

fansince69
05-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Typical Reese low risk signing, if he resurrect his career, he'll be a nice boost to the LBer corpse. Just another body to throw into the mix, hoping that someone comes out excelling.Excelling? I think most fans would be happy with someone adequate at LB

sharick88
05-13-2013, 04:55 PM
What's wrong with wondering about how bad his "knee issues" are?

Why even wonder about it? Any production from him is house money. If he ends up being garbage or not healthy enough, then he gets cut. I would understand if he was a guy that we brought here on a multiyear/multimillion dollar contract. He is collecting an NFL minimum wage paycheck. I'm not worried or concerned about him one bit based on that.

Tbonenc
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Worth a shot. I wish everyone would chill regarding our LB situation. Even if we brought in Greene, would he have made significant contributions??? Curry was # 4 overall, so what makes anyone think any of the top 5 LB's from this years draft will be anything special?
Giants took the best value on the board. Just so happens it wasn't a LB.

giantsfan420
05-13-2013, 05:29 PM
keep in mind about his knees, how bad could it be when the entire league checked him out pre draft 2009? im not saying he couldnt have hurt it, but itd seem to be more of a rehabable type injury opposed to some sort of degenerative, kronic condition bc those type injuries woulda shown up in 2009 predraft.

we wouldnt have signed him if he wasnt somewhat healthy/near 100%. he passed a physical, which means he can participate in team activities.so id say, seeing as hes had more than enough ample time to rehab, he should be good to go.
remember, JR said he was aware of the serious knee issues curry HAD, not HAS.

as far as where he fits in with us...prob at this point, they arent expecting a 3 down MLB. Perhaps a Sam, who can line up over the TE...besides JWill, Rivers and Curry prob are the best options we have in coverage. With how they can play the run, it makes sense for them to see if 1 can win the MLB job, at first as a 2 down LB. Ironically, if he plays outside, he'll prob be a 3 down player (due to a lesser responsibility in pass coverage in terms of how much he'll have to account for).

honestly, from a purely athletic standpoint, we have some guys who SHOULD be top notch in Rivers and Curry. Its kind of mind boggling to think what we could potentially have if they end up amounting to what was expected. A legit Rivers/Curry would help our D tremendously.

JWill Rivers Curry is ultimately what I'd hope to see. But most likely it'll be JWILL Connor Rivers/Curry

BigJ
05-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Were will Rivers and Curry line up this year?

Carter.525
05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Were will Rivers and Curry line up this year?

hopefully not in the trainer's room..

Eli TO Shockey
05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
keep in mind about his knees, how bad could it be when the entire league checked him out pre draft 2009? im not saying he couldnt have hurt it, but itd seem to be more of a rehabable type injury opposed to some sort of degenerative, kronic condition bc those type injuries woulda shown up in 2009 predraft.

we wouldnt have signed him if he wasnt somewhat healthy/near 100%. he passed a physical, which means he can participate in team activities.so id say, seeing as hes had more than enough ample time to rehab, he should be good to go.
remember, JR said he was aware of the serious knee issues curry HAD, not HAS.

as far as where he fits in with us...prob at this point, they arent expecting a 3 down MLB. Perhaps a Sam, who can line up over the TE...besides JWill, Rivers and Curry prob are the best options we have in coverage. With how they can play the run, it makes sense for them to see if 1 can win the MLB job, at first as a 2 down LB. Ironically, if he plays outside, he'll prob be a 3 down player (due to a lesser responsibility in pass coverage in terms of how much he'll have to account for).

honestly, from a purely athletic standpoint, we have some guys who SHOULD be top notch in Rivers and Curry. Its kind of mind boggling to think what we could potentially have if they end up amounting to what was expected. A legit Rivers/Curry would help our D tremendously.

JWill Rivers Curry is ultimately what I'd hope to see. But most likely it'll be JWILL Connor Rivers/Curry

Chronic Knee pain is no joke. Happened to me

joemorrisforprez
05-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Breaking news....Jerry Reese announced today that his search for additional linebacker prospects is still ongoing.....

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dumpster-diving.gif

"I haven't found anyone who can maintain outside contain.....but I did find a container of potato salad that still smells okay."

Carter.525
05-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Breaking news....Jerry Reese announced today that his search for additional linebacker prospects is still ongoing.....

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dumpster-diving.gif

Dang.. :)

ImElectric2
05-13-2013, 06:38 PM
hopefully not in the trainer's room..Zinnnnggggg. True and sad and true.

bigblue58
05-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Dan Conner....Aaron Curry??? Reese already had a low risk high reward LB....his name was Chase Blackburn!
Why did Reese let Blackburn leave only to sign guys that are basically Blackburn lite???

fansince69
05-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Dan Conner....Aaron Curry??? Reese already had a low risk high reward LB....his name was Chase Blackburn!
Why did Reese let Blackburn leave only to sign guys that are basically Blackburn lite???Blackburn is terrible...if either of these guys can walk... they... by default have to be better than blackburn

bigblue58
05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Blackburn is terrible...if either of these guys can walk... they... by default have to be better than blackburn

Don't know what Chase Blackburn you're talking about dude, because the one I'm referring to was never "terrible"!

JsBigBlue
05-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Its worth a shot looking at the guy...Give him a chance and see what we get. Who knows he might turn out to be pretty good for us..

slipknottin
05-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Don't know what Chase Blackburn you're talking about dude, because the one I'm referring to was never "terrible"!

Did you watch the Browns game?

Blackburn missed more tackles that one game than Boley has missed in the past 3 seasons.

Buddy333
05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Breaking news....Jerry Reese announced today that his search for additional linebacker prospects is still ongoing.....http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dumpster-diving.gif"I haven't found anyone who can maintain outside contain.....but I did find a container of potato salad that still smells okay."Wonder how Reese makes it through the day knowing he can't find an elite LB to man his defense. Guess he just thinks about it as he stares at his TWO Super Bowl rings.

TCHOF
05-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Why did Reese let Blackburn leave only to sign guys that are basically Blackburn lite???

Chase was low risk low reward

Redeyejedi
05-14-2013, 09:21 AM
39 starts is probably more then any Giant LB has

GiantPride13
05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
if he comes around its a steal if not we loose nothing.

Kruunch
05-14-2013, 09:37 AM
I'd be surprised if Curry makes the final roster.

Low risk but not a lot of upside here realistically speaking.

fansince69
05-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Did you watch the Browns game?

Blackburn missed more tackles that one game than Boley has missed in the past 3 seasons.Even when he does make a tackle ...he is usually dragged 5 yds .......Everyone gets enamored with the few big plays he makes and over looks all the common plays he should make that he doesn't

Rat_bastich
05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Even when he does make a tackle ...he is usually dragged 5 yds .......Everyone gets enamored with the few big plays he makes and over looks all the common plays he should make that he doesn't

He was definitely a very pedestrian linebacker. He made a couple of big plays but I would hazard there were many more misplays(out of place, missed tackle, etc.). It's like a highlight reel, only the good parts are remembered.

slipknottin
05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
I'd be surprised if Curry makes the final roster.

Low risk but not a lot of upside here realistically speaking.

I think he can make it pretty easily considering how few players they have at the position. Really the only guy who is a lock is J Will. And probably Paysinger. After that its rivers, Connor, and Curry on one year deals. Then herzlich. Then whoever else. I would assume they take at least 6. Probably 7 or perhaps even 8.

So if you look at it that way he's almost guaranteed to make it, provided he stays healthy through preseason

TheAnalyst
05-14-2013, 11:44 AM
It is going to be so awesome the day we actually draft a stud middle line backer. We will immediately claim him the next LT because of all the shotty LBs we will compare him to that were here for years before him.

JesseJames
05-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Don't know what Chase Blackburn you're talking about dude, because the one I'm referring to was never "terrible"!Blackburn was never terrible his main problem from day one was his lack of speed and it still is ...

Kruunch
05-14-2013, 01:22 PM
I think he can make it pretty easily considering how few players they have at the position. Really the only guy who is a lock is J Will. And probably Paysinger. After that its rivers, Connor, and Curry on one year deals. Then herzlich. Then whoever else. I would assume they take at least 6. Probably 7 or perhaps even 8.

So if you look at it that way he's almost guaranteed to make it, provided he stays healthy through preseason

JWill, Connor, Herzlich, Paysinger, Rivers, Musau, Sabino ... I don't see a 265 lb bust with knee problems outperforming any of those guys in camp. But stranger things have happened.

And that doesn't include Kiwi or Moore being played at the SAM spot (so I'm guessing we keep 6 LBers).

BeatYale
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm assuming 'knee issues' is some kind of inflammatory arthritis and he got stem cell therapy to try to regenerate lost cartilage. That's the only sense I can make out of it. If he tore or sprained his knee they would have just said so.

Kruunch
05-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Lol on Sirius NFL they just said that if Curry wins a starting job with the Giants, it says more about the lack of LBers on the Giants than it does on Curry's ability.

About sums it up for me.

slipknottin
05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
JWill, Connor, Herzlich, Paysinger, Rivers, Musau, Sabino ... I don't see a 265 lb bust with knee problems outperforming any of those guys in camp. But stranger things have happened.

And that doesn't include Kiwi or Moore being played at the SAM spot (so I'm guessing we keep 6 LBers).

See I think you are taking the bust thing too far.
Now I don't have high hopes for curry, but he's a better player than Herzlich or some of those undrafted guys are.

I did like Musau last preseason though, but who knows.

I think even if they take 6, curry is likely making it. Just can't see herzlich being a lock over him

TAILGATIN'
05-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Why even wonder about it? Any production from him is house money. If he ends up being garbage or not healthy enough, then he gets cut. I would understand if he was a guy that we brought here on a multiyear/multimillion dollar contract. He is collecting an NFL minimum wage paycheck. I'm not worried or concerned about him one bit based on that.
What do you mean why wonder about it? The dudes a Giant and nobody knows the real knee issue. If you dont care then move along. No one cares that you dont care. Obviously there are plenty of us that would like to know what the knee deal is. Even Reese said it was a serious issue.

TAILGATIN'
05-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Now I don't have high hopes for curry, but he's a better player than Herzlich or some of those undrafted guys are.

I think even if they take 6, curry is likely making it. Just can't see herzlich being a lock over him
Agreed.. If he can play, he's gotta be better than some of those guys.

Kruunch
05-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Drafted #4 overall and on his third team in six years .... you'd have a hard time finding a better definition of "bust".

I also disagree that he's a better player than any of the aforementioned currently. He's overweight (as of a couple of days ago), has played in two NFL games since December 2011 and has some mysterious knee injury that's been on a par with an ACL (based on the amount of time he's needed to recover from it). Oh and he'll be asked to play out of position (MLB vs. OLB which is what he's been up to know).

While I agree that Herzlich is not a lock for anything, I'd be more inclined to think he'll be in better football shape in camp than Curry will and already has two seasons under his belt as a Giant (so he knows the system and already contributes on Special Teams). Hopefully Curry materializes out of the blue ... I'd love to see him return to the level of his Wake Forest days where he was an absolute monster. But my gut instinct is the NFL is too big for him.

radar-ray
05-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Drafted #4 overall and on his third team in six years .... you'd have a hard time finding a better definition of "bust".

I also disagree that he's a better player than any of the aforementioned currently. He's overweight (as of a couple of days ago), has played in two NFL games since December 2011 and has some mysterious knee injury that's been on a par with an ACL (based on the amount of time he's needed to recover from it). Oh and he'll be asked to play out of position (MLB vs. OLB which is what he's been up to know).

While I agree that Herzlich is not a lock for anything, I'd be more inclined to think he'll be in better football shape in camp than Curry will and already has two seasons under his belt as a Giant (so he knows the system and already contributes on Special Teams). Hopefully Curry materializes out of the blue ... I'd love to see him return to the level of his Wake Forest days where he was an absolute monster. But my gut instinct is the NFL is too big for him.

Whether Curry works out or not we don't know, but one thing is for sure, Herzlich sucks.

sharick88
05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
What do you mean why wonder about it? The dudes a Giant and nobody knows the real knee issue. If you dont care then move along. No one cares that you dont care. Obviously there are plenty of us that would like to know what the knee deal is. Even Reese said it was a serious issue.

And I don't care that you don't care that I don't care that you don't care that I don't care that you don't care that I don't care that you don't care. Anyways, my point is why care if the guy is a minimum wage contract? If he is unable to perform, then he gets cut and it's no harm and no foul. ANY contribution this guy is able to give is a bonus.

sharick88
05-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Chase was low risk low reward

True statement.........

TCHOF
05-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Whether Curry works out or not we don't know, but one thing is for sure, Herzlich sucks.I hate to agree, because I think that we were all rooting hard for Herzlich, but he was awful last year.

TCHOF
05-14-2013, 05:56 PM

If Curry doesn't make the team, does he get any of his salary? Not sure how that works . . . .

slipknottin
05-14-2013, 06:06 PM
I know what defines bust, but being a bust doesnt mean you are a worse player than a random undrafted FA.

Where was he asked to play MLB? And to be honest, MLB may be a better fit for him.

While I agree that Herzlich is not a lock for anything,

I bet curry overweight and with a knee injury is significantly faster than Herlzlich is.

Redeyejedi
05-14-2013, 06:43 PM
I know what defines bust, but being a bust doesnt mean you are a worse player than a random undrafted FA.

Where was he asked to play MLB? And to be honest, MLB may be a better fit for him.

I bet curry overweight and with a knee injury is significantly faster than Herlzlich is.i think for the Giants MLB would be Currys best spot

Kruunch
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
MLB might be a better fit for Curry BUT it's just another thing he has to learn and that Herzlich has over him.

My only point being that realistically speaking, I wouldn't be expecting much from Curry.

Then again, we've set the LBer bar kind of low.

Kruunch
05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
If Curry doesn't make the team, does he get any of his salary? Not sure how that works . . . .

He gets whatever workout bonus and pro-rated rate for camp practices and OTAs and such.

Redeyejedi
05-15-2013, 09:58 AM

I bet curry overweight and with a knee injury is significantly faster than Herlzlich is.The Bust Aaron Curry has more starts then any Giant LB

TCHOF
05-15-2013, 10:00 AM
MLB might be a better fit for Curry BUT it's just another thing he has to learn and that Herzlich has over him.

My only point being that realistically speaking, I wouldn't be expecting much from Curry.

Then again, we've set the LBer bar kind of low.

As of last year, Herzlich had not learned the MLB position . . . .

JesseJames
05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
when I look at the state of the Giants LBers I can only hope that Curry brings more to the table than some of the guys on here expect him to, nobody here seems to expect anything from the guy and I can't believe that he just forgot how to do the things that made him a very high draft pick.

joemorrisforprez
05-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Blackburn was never terrible his main problem from day one was his lack of speed and it still is ...

Agreed.....he would make a perfect backup for any NFL team, or a sub player depending on the situation.

Still, bummer to see him leave, because he was the 2nd best LB on the team to Boley in my opinion. I don't see Dan Connor being an upgrade, frankly, and at least we knew what we had with Chase. The guy was smart, and hustled, and knew the system.

JesseJames
05-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Then again, we've set the LBer bar kind of low. I think its Reese who has set the LBer bar kind of low...and it looks like it will stay that way until Reese changes his thinking

slipknottin
05-15-2013, 06:18 PM
I think its Reese who has set the LBer bar kind of low...and it looks like it will stay that way until Reese changes his thinking

You mean like spending big money to bring in the top FA LB (Boley) or drafting a LB high in the 2nd round (Sintim)?

moosedrool
05-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Curry: Expect mediocrity, with the possibility of slightly better than mediocrity. Which is better than what we had last year at LB.

TCHOF
05-15-2013, 09:32 PM
You mean like spending big money to bring in the top FA LB (Boley) or drafting a LB high in the 2nd round (Sintim)?

So the last time we invested money or picks on the position was 4 years ago?

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 01:06 AM
when I look at the state of the Giants LBers I can only hope that Curry brings more to the table than some of the guys on here expect him to, nobody here seems to expect anything from the guy and I can't believe that he just forgot how to do the things that made him a very high draft pick.

I hope you're right.....I'm certainly pulling for him.

Here's some pro footage of Curry v. the Giants....2010 and 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W20TidtdHlE

Kruunch
05-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I miss Ballard :(

P.S. - And that was Curry at his best (NFL-wise). The upside is that hopefully he's clear of his mysterious knee injury and that he's got a fire lit under his butt.

slipknottin
05-16-2013, 09:21 AM
So the last time we invested money or picks on the position was 4 years ago?

Reese has drafted more linebackers than any other position.

devilsadvocate
05-16-2013, 10:43 AM
I see him fitting in as a late camp cut.

TCHOF
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM

But the last time that he spent real cash or high picks on the position was 4 years ago, right?

Kruunch
05-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Reese has yet to draft a LBer that has started two full seasons.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 01:34 PM
I miss Ballard :(

P.S. - And that was Curry at his best (NFL-wise). The upside is that hopefully he's clear of his mysterious knee injury and that he's got a fire lit under his butt.

I hope so.....let's hope Colonel Coughlin brings out the best in the guy. Total stud in college, and even in that footage above, it appears like he understood the plays and took some decent angles. That first game (2010) was one of the most dominant performances from the Giants offense that I can ever remember. The OL looked like Alabama v. a high school team.