PDA

View Full Version : How long until MetLife Stadium is outdated and obsolete?

Manning
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
After seeing images of the new Vikings stadium, it made me wonder how much longer until MetLife is considered outdated. Hell, it could be considered outdated already (especially in terms of amenities and fan experience). MetLife is probably one of the worst stadiums built in the past 10 years. It offers almost nothing over Giants Stadium for most fans, and it cost $1.6 Billion on the backs of season ticket holders for the Giants & Jets. I guess we have 30 more years until we get a real stadium upgrade from the original Giants Stadium.

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 12:29 PM
It should last about 30 years

fletch842
05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
outdated and obsolete vs plain and mundane are 2 totally different things.

giantscolombia
05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
I think he answered his own question?

slipknottin
05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
At least it didn't use taxpayer money

Manning
05-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Ok sorry outdated and obsolete are two different things. I guess we can all agree its outdated in terms of fan amenities and experience after only 3 seasons. PATHETIC.

davepc
05-14-2013, 02:33 PM
After seeing images of the new Vikings stadium, it made me wonder how much longer until MetLife is considered outdated. Hell, it could be considered outdated already (especially in terms of amenities and fan experience). MetLife is probably one of the worst stadiums built in the past 10 years. It offers almost nothing over Giants Stadium for most fans, and it cost $1.6 Billion on the backs of season ticket holders for the Giants & Jets. I guess we have 30 more years until we get a real stadium upgrade from the original Giants Stadium.

Where do you sit?

I was in 309 in Giants Stadium and im in 143 now and I couldn't disagree more about Metlife not being an upgrade.

Manning
05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Where do you sit?

I was in 309 in Giants Stadium and im in 143 now and I couldn't disagree more about Metlife not being an upgrade.
322 -> 328

Morehead State
05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Its not that its outdated or obsolete. Its that its poorly designed and conceived.
For instance........Getting up to the 3rd level is a nightmare.
And you are way too far from the field in the new stadium. Takes 20 minutes to adjust your eyes.

penguinfarmer
05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
I'll be honest, being a fan I had always tried to look only at the good in the design. As an architect, I came away very underwhelmed when we were brought there when I was a member of AIAS while it was just being completed. None of the finish materials had been brought in, but the structural and HVAC were done. It was a project where the emphasis was on to save on future operational costs, which is why it probably had a higher initial cost compared to other stadiums. From a design standpoint, rather than sustainability being an application to a project where the concept was centered around the fans, it seemed like the concept was sustainability itself which is considered a no-no.

Still, I figured that it would all be irrelevant as it's the fans themselves, the team and moments that occurred on the field that would define the stadium. So from a functional standpoint, it will outlast other stadiums, especially Cowboys stadium, as it will be able to run with lower bills and a smaller ecological footprint longer than the others. From a design standpoint, it was rather uninspiring and unoriginal before ground was even broken. From a sporting historical standpoint, it has yet to be defined.

TheAnalyst
05-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Looks like a tin tuna can. Cold and sterile. Plain. Vanilla. What ever. Looks better at night though.
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/new-meadowlands-metlife-stadium.jpg (http://boards.giants.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=B9_sAF00-pFNeM&tbnid=KuhXfzqjn2fZUM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalprosports.com%2F2011%2F1 0%2F27%2F11-most-expensive-stadiums-in-the-world%2F&ei=vpOSUZ-iDuz84APdjoHICQ&psig=AFQjCNHiIGhBiFtLiGLUlJAjQvjeel78Sw&ust=1368646974338305)

darrin99
05-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Its not that its outdated or obsolete. Its that its poorly designed and conceived.
For instance........Getting up to the 3rd level is a nightmare.
And you are way too far from the field in the new stadium. Takes 20 minutes to adjust your eyes.

The lines for the bathroom in the Terrace Level at halftime are worse than they ever were at Giants Stadium too.

Toadofsteel
05-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Looks like a tin tuna can. Cold and sterile. Plain. Vanilla. What ever. Looks better at night though.

You know, you bring up a good point... it seems like it was made a sterile gray color so that the lighting system would add in the color (so that way, it glows in team colors). One would think that the super bowl will use a completely different lighting scheme.

For my own aesthertics persoective, while I have never been to the stadium, I will say, that if you're approaching the stadium on 3 East during the day, as you crest the hill and the stadium appears, my eyes have so much trouble adjusting to the sight of it. It's like i'm looking at physical static sometimes...

jax5338
05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Looks like a big air conditioner from the outside. Or a stack of CDs...

Insdie is nice, filed surface looks way better, screens are bigger/clearer, but seats are further away from the field.

Eli TO Shockey
05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I'll be honest, being a fan I had always tried to look only at the good in the design. As an architect, I came away very underwhelmed when we were brought there when I was a member of AIAS while it was just being completed. None of the finish materials had been brought in, but the structural and HVAC were done. It was a project where the emphasis was on to save on future operational costs, which is why it probably had a higher initial cost compared to other stadiums. From a design standpoint, rather than sustainability being an application to a project where the concept was centered around the fans, it seemed like the concept was sustainability itself which is considered a no-no.

Still, I figured that it would all be irrelevant as it's the fans themselves, the team and moments that occurred on the field that would define the stadium. So from a functional standpoint, it will outlast other stadiums, especially Cowboys stadium, as it will be able to run with lower bills and a smaller ecological footprint longer than the others. From a design standpoint, it was rather uninspiring and unoriginal before ground was even broken. From a sporting historical standpoint, it has yet to be defined.

nice post! +100000

FBomb
05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
"Waaaaaa"

Sorry...it was the first thing that came to mind after reading the op.

joemorrisforprez
05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
outdated and obsolete vs plain and mundane are 2 totally different things.

I agree. There's absolutely nothing that says Gotham about this.....which is amazing, considering architectural marvels like the Brooklyn Bridge, Chrylser Building, Empire State, etc.

The architects aimed low, and nailed it. It looks like a gigantic air conditioner.

And really, the fact that it doesn't have a roof is ridiculous.....not necessarily because of football, but if it had a roof, it would be guaranteed a spot on the SB rotation given it's location.....not to mention concerts, conventions, etc.

GameTime
05-14-2013, 06:35 PM
its built
its there to stay
its not obsolete or even close to whatever you are describing
deal with it
enjoy it
when they win there it really doesnt matter does it....

Manning
05-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Hard to enjoy it knowing I was forced to pay for a PSL if I wanted to continue as a season ticket holder only to pay more money to sit further away, worse parking, bottle necked entrances and exits, smaller seats, and less leg room. Had they put a roof on it, it would have made it much easier to accept.

Jorge Boada
05-14-2013, 07:01 PM
I think we just need to remember that Giants philosophy always point to the game, the most important thing, FOOTBALL, This is Giants philosophy.
We have an organization focused on the game, we have a modern stadium that keeps your attention in football, that's why we don't have cheerleaders, mascot and all the Cowboys or Jets sexy fashion stupid bull****...

TheAnalyst
05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
I'll enjoy it much more after Eli and TC wins their 3rd ring inside it. Talk about a defining moment to a stadium.

craigjr007
05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Still can't believe they didn't put a retractable roof up on there, I mean really

penguinfarmer
05-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Still can't believe they didn't put a retractable roof up on there, I mean really

$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's not just the cost of materials for the roof, but that then alters the entire structural system that now has to account for the added loads of a roof. Now you want to make it move? There is a reason why they needed the Jets' help.

Let football be played outside.

davepc
05-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Mara is on the record saying he wanted a brick faced traditional look like Baltimore has, but the Jets wanted a futuristic space ship (look at the west side stadium renderings). They compromised, more to the Jets favor, and that's that.

I'm fine with the building and my gameday experience is light years better in the new building.

YATittle1962
05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Where do you sit?

I'm in this camp

as a season ticket holder for 50 years and sitting in every home stadium since Yankee Stadium ...Met Life is by far the best of them all as far as fan experience .....not even close

I have a romantic attachment to Giants Stadium and will always love it most.....but Met Life is a far superior experience for me

I do feel bad though for those who have to leave the stadium from the 300s......without spirals it seems to be quite a process

Manning
05-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Our philosophy needs to evolve. I understand we all like to pound our chests and say we are an old school franchise that prides itself on tradition. The league, sport, and game all have evolved immensely since Giants Stadium was constructed.

I argue that MetLife is simply a newer, bigger, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. Since Giants Stadium was constructed the technology for at home entertainment has made watching the game at home a better experience than going to game when you factor in costs. Our philosophy should have evolved to incorporate ways to provide more incentive and perks for attendees to come to the games. I really think this starts with some sort of roof.

Don't talk about how football was meant to be played in the elements and how much homefield advantage we get from this. First off, the league has turned into a passing game. The rules have been made to increase passing successful and have led to success for pass heavy teams. Does playing in the elements really provide us a home field advantage? The stats point to no. This a farce among most Giants fans.

The stadium with a roof could have generated enough extra revenue to payoff the cost of the roof. Outside of football, the stadium is not used for any events in the winter due to it being an open venue. Most of the time it is unused from January to the end of March. (Probably even into April). A roof could have led to the demolition of the izod Arena and added even more parking spots. The roof increases home field advantage in the form of crowd noise by 1) keeping all the noise in the building 2) fans that are usually freezing to death and just sit on their *** will now be warm, comfortable, and willing to jump and scream around.

Say what you will, but MetLife is just a bigger, newer, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. It does not have the amenities most of the new stadiums have to offer, and really was not worth the cost to 90% of fans. If you think spending that kind of money for a venue that is behind the times and provides only a few perks, then fine, call me a complainer. I believe it was a irresponsible and wasteful way to spend $1.6 Billion.

Manning
05-14-2013, 10:24 PM
I do feel bad though for those who have to leave the stadium from the 300s......without spirals it seems to be quite a process

Helpful hint for those in the 300s. After three years of trial and error, the stairs are the fastest way out and it's not even close. The ramps will take no lie 30 minutes to get to the bottom. The escalators take about 20. If you are physically able, just look for the stairs. It takes only about 5 minutes. Probably because they are harder to find. Good luck.

Gmen2005
05-15-2013, 04:22 AM
I loved Giants stadium, was not incredibly fond of Metlife when it first opened. Thought it was too parking garage-ish. I've grown to enjoy it and love it. Closer to the actual players, and it doesn't hurt that I can actually see replays now.

RoanokeFan
05-15-2013, 05:48 AM
I'm in this camp

as a season ticket holder for 50 years and sitting in every home stadium since Yankee Stadium ...Met Life is by far the best of them all as far as fan experience .....not even close

I have a romantic attachment to Giants Stadium and will always love it most.....but Met Life is a far superior experience for me

+1 I join the minority

Rat_bastich
05-15-2013, 05:50 AM
I'm in this camp

All I took from this was...damn you're old!

RoanokeFan
05-15-2013, 05:51 AM

Old is the new young

Rat_bastich
05-15-2013, 05:54 AM
Old is the new young

Except for when it comes to stadiums.

RoanokeFan
05-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Except for when it comes to stadiums.

The stadium is old?

SweetZombieJesus
05-15-2013, 08:46 AM
Our philosophy should have evolved to incorporate ways to provide more incentive and perks for attendees to come to the games. I really think this starts with some sort of roof.

To hell with carpet and domes. Football WAS meant to be played in the elements.

Call me old fashioned, but I just want a football stadium to watch my team play. I've been on tours of the luxury boxes, Coach's Club, etc and I just don't get it. Why would you want to smoke a pipe in a leather chair in front of a fireplace watching the game on a flatscreen when the field is 50 feet to your left? All that horsecrap is for the Wall Street hedge fund managers and their ilk. And it makes me want to cringe.

I've been to a few games in the 300s and I just want the escalators and spirals back. They made that stadium impossible to get out of. And the parking is abysmal, I paid for a parking pass and all the lots were still full and I drove around like it was Christmas Eve looking for some place to stash my car. There's like 1/2 the parking of the old stadium.

njg85m
05-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Enjoy it while you can. 30 years from now all stadiums built will be domes or have retractable roofs. The era of true cold weather football is ending in front of our eyes.

penguinfarmer
05-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Our philosophy should have evolved to incorporate ways to provide more incentive and perks for attendees to come to the games. I really think this starts with some sort of roof.

What other incentive is greater than the game itself? Even in the most accommodating of stadiums, no one is going to shell out even the most innocuous of funds to simply eat the hot dogs and lounge in a chair to watch cheerleaders. They're going for the game, not to be coddled. If you don't want to go, that's fine. More tickets for those who are going for the right reasons.

GeoGoGo
05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
322 -> 328

Just be happy you have seaon tickets. Man, I get tired of hearing you lucky *******s crying. I bet the 100,000 people on the list behind you would be pretty happy with MetLife stadium.

GeoGoGo
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Our philosophy needs to evolve. I understand we all like to pound our chests and say we are an old school franchise that prides itself on tradition. The league, sport, and game all have evolved immensely since Giants Stadium was constructed.

I argue that MetLife is simply a newer, bigger, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. Since Giants Stadium was constructed the technology for at home entertainment has made watching the game at home a better experience than going to game when you factor in costs. Our philosophy should have evolved to incorporate ways to provide more incentive and perks for attendees to come to the games. I really think this starts with some sort of roof.

Don't talk about how football was meant to be played in the elements and how much homefield advantage we get from this. First off, the league has turned into a passing game. The rules have been made to increase passing successful and have led to success for pass heavy teams. Does playing in the elements really provide us a home field advantage? The stats point to no. This a farce among most Giants fans.

The stadium with a roof could have generated enough extra revenue to payoff the cost of the roof. Outside of football, the stadium is not used for any events in the winter due to it being an open venue. Most of the time it is unused from January to the end of March. (Probably even into April). A roof could have led to the demolition of the izod Arena and added even more parking spots. The roof increases home field advantage in the form of crowd noise by 1) keeping all the noise in the building 2) fans that are usually freezing to death and just sit on their *** will now be warm, comfortable, and willing to jump and scream around.

Say what you will, but MetLife is just a bigger, newer, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. It does not have the amenities most of the new stadiums have to offer, and really was not worth the cost to 90% of fans. If you think spending that kind of money for a venue that is behind the times and provides only a few perks, then fine, call me a complainer. I believe it was a irresponsible and wasteful way to spend $1.6 Billion.

You are a complainer. You really are.

Flip Empty
05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
What other incentive is greater than the game itself?

Increased revenue through the venue's ability to host non-football events year-round.

Manning
05-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Just be happy you have seaon tickets. Man, I get tired of hearing you lucky *******s crying. I bet the 100,000 people on the list behind you would be pretty happy with MetLife stadium.

Um... There is no waiting list anymore. Go ahead and buy your PSL and season tickets.

Roosevelt
05-15-2013, 11:40 AM

You actually like that stadium?

Fans in the old stadiums suffered from obstructed view seats. The fact that these new stadiums are being built with obstructed views is very strange.

How would you like to sit around here at MetLife?

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/04/25/news/photos_stories/100422_jets_stadium__jc-11134754--300x450.jpg

Or here at Lucas Oil?

http://branddunk.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/lucasoilstadium_seatview.jpg

Imagine paying a PSL for that.

Morehead State
05-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Fans in the old stadiums suffered from obstructed view seats. The fact that these new stadiums are being built with obstructed views is very strange.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/04/25/news/photos_stories/100422_jets_stadium__jc-11134754--300x450.jpg

Or here at Lucas Oil?

We sat behind a huge pole at Fed Ex field.

GameTime
05-15-2013, 11:57 AM

you're a complainer...
the stadium is sold out every game as far as I know.....not too bad if you ask me...
Chicago outside...great franchise and fans
Packers outside.....great franchise and fans
Seahawks outside....great franchise and fans
Patriots outside.......you get the picture right??
Steelers
Cleveland
Cincy
Buffalo

davepc
05-15-2013, 12:27 PM

http://nygiants.strmarketplace.com/

Come join us. No excuse not too.

Manning
05-15-2013, 12:30 PM
you're a complainer...
the stadium is sold out every game as far as I know.....not too bad if you ask me...
Chicago outside...great franchise and fans
Packers outside.....great franchise and fans
Seahawks outside....great franchise and fans
Patriots outside.......you get the picture right??
Steelers
Cleveland
Cincy
Buffalo
You just named all teams with stadiums that are older than ours. Good job.

penguinfarmer
05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Increased revenue through the venue's ability to host non-football events year-round.

So concerts are a greater incentive than the NY Giants or Jets themselves? Not to mention, unlike other stadiums of other cities, they'd be in direct competition with MSG and the Izod Center, still excluding other venues like NJPAC, Jones Beach etc. etc.. The former is by far the premiere location for major artists in NYC area, the latter offers lower facility fees and was designed with a major cast of acousticians [some employed by our office].

They already host a number of other sporting events. What little they would have made in performances is still not a compelling case to spend the money for a dome.

keyofgmen
05-15-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm in this camp

Likewise.
I realize my perspective is different than those in the "uppers", so they may have legit arguments. In MEZZ and Club makes the game experience far superior to what I had for the many years before. My only complaint (besides PSL $$$$$$$$$) is that in Mezz, there are obviously many owners that sell to opposing team and that can be annoying as hell. If I block that out, the rest is nice, although bland.

SweetZombieJesus
05-15-2013, 04:02 PM
So concerts are a greater incentive than the NY Giants or Jets themselves? Not to mention, unlike other stadiums of other cities, they'd be in direct competition with MSG and the Izod Center, still excluding other venues like NJPAC, Jones Beach etc. etc.. The former is by far the premiere location for major artists in NYC area, the latter offers lower facility fees and was designed with a major cast of acousticians [some employed by our office].

The arena is sitting there unused, no idea what long term plans are for it but the Devils and Nets are long gone.

penguinfarmer
05-15-2013, 05:20 PM
The arena is sitting there unused, no idea what long term plans are for it but the Devils and Nets are long gone.

It's not unused. Concerts and shows are still occurring there. Beyonce is performing there next month.
http://www.meadowlands.com/eventcalendar.aspx

GameTime
05-15-2013, 05:40 PM
point is that they are great franchises and outdoor stadiums....

deal with it or give it up....

IamGiantsfan
05-16-2013, 03:27 AM
lambeau field is a legend, at most they'll upgrade the seats
Seahawk's stadium works as well

You forgot Kansas city game time :D

Flip Empty
05-16-2013, 03:30 AM
point is that they are great franchises and outdoor stadiums....

deal with it or give it up....
The OP isn't allowed to express his discontent over a building he helped fund?

GeoGoGo
05-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Or here at Lucas Oil?

Are those pics for real? Holy crap! That is insane! Who in their right mind would pay for that? I wonder if you they tell you up front about that or do you just show up on Sunday and find a scenic view of a support column.

GeoGoGo
05-16-2013, 09:40 AM
http://nygiants.strmarketplace.com/

Come join us. No excuse not too.

Wow! I had no clue about that! I stand corrected and retract my previous statement. I still believe the OP is a complainer, though.

Roosevelt
05-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Are those pics for real? Holy crap! That is insane! Who in their right mind would pay for that? I wonder if you they tell you up front about that or do you just show up on Sunday and find a scenic view of a support column.

They certainly are.

Ntegrase96
05-16-2013, 10:54 AM
It's not already obsolete? ooooo burrrnn.

Kidding aside, since there is nothing too flashy about MetLife, it most likely will age much better than the likes of a stadium like ours. Cowboys stadium will eventually lose its novelty, if it hasn't already, while MetLife will probably fly under the radar and make minor upgrades here and there to keep it current. Could last a long time.

rebelfan1966
05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Are y'all trying to say it's not an "ELITE" stadium?

rebelfan1966
05-16-2013, 02:02 PM
After this season, just like Eli, it will have participated in a SB ; -)

jomo
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
It's not already obsolete? ooooo burrrnn.

Kidding aside, since there is nothing too flashy about MetLife, it most likely will age much better than the likes of a stadium like ours. Cowboys stadium will eventually lose its novelty, if it hasn't already, while MetLife will probably fly under the radar and make minor upgrades here and there to keep it current. Could last a long time.You are too kind Ntegrase96. I am OK with GIANTS stadium but I have club seats and preferred parking. I hear not so good stories from those with seats elsewhere and parking in Delaware I believe. If they have to get you to the stadium by bus from your parking lot, they decided you were screwed from the outset and I don't like that. I'll get to Dallas for a first hand look at your stadium this year.

I am also cranky about the price of our stadium relative to others. Something funny going on there. We're not talking 5% more, we're talking 60% more. Hmmmmm

YATittle1962
05-16-2013, 02:52 PM

maybe not as old as I made it sound.....been going to games for 50 years ....thats how long the tickets have been in my family

they became mine in 1974

Manning
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Apparently not. I'm only allowed to be bashed by expressing such discontent. But only by those who didn't contribute to the funding/financing of the stadium, those that go to at most one game a year, and those who watch a majority of games from their couch.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Apparently not. I'm only allowed to be bashed by expressing such discontent. But only by those who didn't contribute to the funding/financing of the stadium, those that go to at most one game a year, and those who watch a majority of games from their couch.

Who doesn't contribute? You have expressed your discontent and some agree with you while others disagree. That's how it works on a message board. I've had season tickets for 30+ years, do not have Club seats or seats on the Mezzanine and am perfectly happy with my seats. Not so happy with the PSL issue but I wasn't forced to keep my seats, I elected to.

Ntegrase96
05-16-2013, 03:53 PM
You are too kind Ntegrase96. I am OK with GIANTS stadium but I have club seats and preferred parking. I hear not so good stories from those with seats elsewhere and parking in Delaware I believe. If they have to get you to the stadium by bus from your parking lot, they decided you were screwed from the outset and I don't like that. I'll get to Dallas for a first hand look at your stadium this year.

I am also cranky about the price of our stadium relative to others. Something funny going on there. We're not talking 5% more, we're talking 60% more. Hmmmmm

Hey man I call it like I see it. Cowboys stadium is amazing for a number of reasons, but those reasons seem like they could quickly become outdated.

I haven't been to MetLife yet, but I think it seems to be more utilitarian while having nice touches here and there. It doesn't live and die by anyone particular feature like Cowboys Stadium seemingly does with the enormo-tron.

Anyway, if you make it down to Arlington, take the tour. It'll allow you to experience more than you would if you just went to the game (seriously that place is huge, and without the elevator access you get on the tour, most lose all momentum to explore after visiting less than half the building). And if you're doing night life stuff after I suggest downtown Fort Worth since its closer, cheaper, everything within reasonable walking distance.

keyofgmen
05-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Who doesn't contribute? You have expressed your discontent and some agree with you while others disagree. That's how it works on a message board. I've had season tickets for 30+ years, do not have Club seats or seats on the Mezzanine and am perfectly happy with my seats. Not so happy with the PSL issue but I wasn't forced to keep my seats, I elected to.

Exactly. Everyone can put their word in, season ticket holder or not. I too elected to shell out for the PSL and even upgraded my seats. Not easy paying, and expect a price increas next year. But, no way could I have given up the seats that have been in family since 1955. Hopefully my son will be able to afford the next "new Giant Stadium".

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Exactly. Everyone can put their word in, season ticket holder or not. I too elected to shell out for the PSL and even upgraded my seats. Not easy paying, and expect a price increas next year. But, no way could I have given up the seats that have been in family since 1955. Hopefully my son will be able to afford the next "new Giant Stadium".

I think it needs to be said that the Giants haven't raised the price of tickets since the inception of PSLs. That won't last forever I'm sure, but they do understand the current economy and haven't gouged us by increasing tickets prices for three years.

Manning
05-16-2013, 04:12 PM

My negative post really was in regards to Geo labeling me as someone who is always *****ing and simply a complainer. I took it out on everyone else. Everyone else posted their personal opinion which is great.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
My negative post really was in regards to Geo labeling me as someone who is always *****ing and simply a complainer. I took it out on everyone else. Everyone else posted their personal opinion which is great.

Shrug them off, your opinion is welcome here.

keyofgmen
05-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I think it needs to be said that the Giants haven't raised the price of tickets since the inception of PSLs. That won't last forever I'm sure, but they do understand the current economy and haven't gouged us by increasing tickets prices for three years.

True, but if I remember correctly, they said they would not raise prices for 3 years in the original agreement. Thus my concern for next year.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
True, but if I remember correctly, they said they would not raise prices for 3 years in the original agreement. Thus my concern for next year.

Could be, characteristically, I don't recall that caveat :rolleyes:

Manning
05-16-2013, 04:17 PM

The Giants PR staff is great at mentioning this all the time. They don't raise ticket prices, but instead raise parking pass (mandatory) prices (significantly % wise I believe) and concession prices every year. Not that there is a problem with that, but they are very crafty and sneaky by saying "we haven't raised ticket prices yet!" I find it a tad misleading to the public. Not sure if anyone would agree with that.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 04:23 PM
The Giants PR staff is great at mentioning this all the time. They don't raise ticket prices, but instead raise parking pass (mandatory) prices (significantly % wise I believe) and concession prices every year. Not that there is a problem with that, but they are very crafty and sneaky by saying "we haven't raised ticket prices yet!" I find it a tad misleading to the public. Not sure if anyone would agree with that.

They did raise the parking pass by $5, this season, true. I refuse to purchase food or drink inside the building but I always have because they just charge too much. We tailgate and then sober up during the game :rolleyes:

zimonami
05-16-2013, 04:27 PM
I was an initial Giant Stadium, '76 season ticket holder. When I got to the lower level where my seats were I could walk around the entire stadium at that level totally uninterrupted. Now I walk into the stadium lower level and you can't look in either direction for more than 20 yeards without a wall obstructing your view to whats on the other side. Everything is partitioned instead of contunuous. I hate it.
Now my seat's on the upper 300 level and it's a real thrill negotiating your way to the top. I'd love to take the stair all the way up, as someone suggested is the easiest and most direct way, but I have emphysema so the escalators help the upward trip. And what a trip it is. Always an adventure.
From the outside it reminds me of old Shea Stadium which you knew was going to look dated in 10 years. This stadium will look like a forgotten sardine can in 10 years.

FBomb
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM

No one is disagreeing that it's pricey going to a football game....but most of us are of the "eh....what can you do?" mindset. You're only recourse is go or don't go. Complaining is just that...complaining.

Roosevelt
05-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I was an initial Giant Stadium, '76 season ticket holder. When I got to the lower level where my seats were I could walk around the entire stadium at that level totally uninterrupted. Now I walk into the stadium lower level and you can't look in either direction for more than 20 yeards without a wall obstructing your view to whats on the other side. Everything is partitioned instead of contunuous. I hate it.
Now my seat's on the upper 300 level and it's a real thrill negotiating your way to the top. I'd love to take the stair all the way up, as someone suggested is the easiest and most direct way, but I have emphysema so the escalators help the upward trip. And what a trip it is. Always an adventure.
From the outside it reminds me of old Shea Stadium which you knew was going to look dated in 10 years. This stadium will look like a forgotten sardine can in 10 years.

Hey Zim,

I know exactly what you mean and refused seats that were initially offered as they were situated right along the side wall of a video screen.

Good point about it looking like Shea. Too bad Mara caved in on his original idea which was a much more traditional brick design.

Manning
05-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Upward isn't bad on escalators since everyone comes in at scattered times. Leaving is the worst when everyone is going at the sometime. The stairs are a life saver, other wise you will be become furious (after a loss that is).

Manning
05-16-2013, 06:04 PM
They did raise the parking pass by $5, this season, true. I refuse to purchase food or drink inside the building but I always have because they just charge too much. We tailgate and then sober up during the game :rolleyes: it's nice they let us bring in sandwiches from the outside, I always get suckered for food around halftime since I become hungry watching everyone else chow down.

Manning
05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
No one is disagreeing that it's pricey going to a football game....but most of us are of the "eh....what can you do?" mindset. You're only recourse is go or don't go. Complaining is just that...complaining.

I'm not disagreeing. I simply think that the benefit gained for Giants fan and Jets fans for 'upgrading' to MetLife from Giants Stadium did not justify the cost whatsoever ever. I think it's disappointing and underwhelming in comparison to other stadiums that are going to be built or have been built in the past 5 years. That's all.

penguinfarmer
05-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Well the benefit wasn't really for the fans, sorry to say. They didn't want to continue paying as much in fees to the NJ Sports and Exposition Authority as they did with Giants Stadium while saving on future operational costs.

zimonami
05-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Hey Zim,

I know exactly what you mean and refused seats that were initially offered as they were situated right along the side wall of a video screen.

Good point about it looking like Shea. Too bad Mara caved in on his original idea which was a much more traditional brick design.
Hi, Ro. :cool:
I think a brick face would have looked great. Classic.
There are a lot of seats that were turned down, like yours. I'm really underwhelmed by the design. Perhaps I'm wrong and it will stand the test of time, but I won't be here in 30 years to know...lol.

Manning
05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know where we can find the original artwork of the design the Giants wanted originally? I definitely remember seeing it around the time the Jets showed their west side stadium concepts as well.

darrin99
05-16-2013, 07:15 PM

I sell my parking pass on eBay for the entire season to the highest bidder, then I park in Secaucus and take the train over. I make a nice profit, and don't deal with any traffic in/out of the stadium.

zimonami
05-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Does anyone know where we can find the original artwork of the design the Giants wanted originally? I definitely remember seeing it around the time the Jets showed their west side stadium concepts as well.
Bump this... I'd love to see our original design concept... that was 5 years ago? Can someone find it?

penguinfarmer
05-16-2013, 10:27 PM
I actually don't recall any original concept or parti drawings released. I do remember many references to the Allianz stadium in Europe as inspiration as the illuminating light box. You may be able to contact 360 Architects or Bruce Mau Design, but there may have been an non disclosure agreement in place. I wouldn't be surprised if the roof design of Atlanta's proposals were pitched to NY first. [You'd be surprised how many ideas are recycled]

This was an early render from 2005
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/09/17/nyregion/17stadium184.jpg

Small image, but you can see it was indiscreet to begin with. Reading the project scope, they had actually pursued LEED certification long before even designing anything as I had talked about earlier.

http://www.jackrouse.com/_application/media/imagespace/large/110713_0008.jpg
[

jomo
05-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Hey man I call it like I see it. Cowboys stadium is amazing for a number of reasons, but those reasons seem like they could quickly become outdated.

I haven't been to MetLife yet, but I think it seems to be more utilitarian while having nice touches here and there. It doesn't live and die by anyone particular feature like Cowboys Stadium seemingly does with the enormo-tron.

Anyway, if you make it down to Arlington, take the tour. It'll allow you to experience more than you would if you just went to the game (seriously that place is huge, and without the elevator access you get on the tour, most lose all momentum to explore after visiting less than half the building). And if you're doing night life stuff after I suggest downtown Fort Worth since its closer, cheaper, everything within reasonable walking distance.Thanks, I know Dallas Fort Worth pretty well, just haven't visited the stadium yet. I enjoyed the old field and the Cowboy fans in Dallas. Cowboy fans in NY ......... not so much.

Manning
05-16-2013, 11:43 PM
I actually don't recall any original concept or parti drawings released. I do remember many references to the Allianz stadium in Europe as inspiration as the illuminating light box. You may be able to contact 360 Architects or Bruce Mau Design, but there may have been an non disclosure agreement in place. I wouldn't be surprised if the roof design of Atlanta's proposals were pitched to NY first. [You'd be surprised how many ideas are recycled]

This was an early render from 2005
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/09/17/nyregion/17stadium184.jpg

Small image, but you can see it was indiscreet to begin with. Reading the project scope, they had actually pursued LEED certification long before even designing anything as I had talked about earlier.

http://www.jackrouse.com/_application/media/imagespace/large/110713_0008.jpg
[

Yup that image from 05 is the one. On the image for the current stadium, they did a great job predicting and replicating the traffic jams on the escalators. LOL.

Joe Morrison
05-17-2013, 10:26 AM
It was outdated the day it was finished, if you have been there in person you would know what I mean, poorly designed, access horrible both entering and leaving, total lack of rest rooms in club section, so far from the field you have to watch the game on the big screen while you are at the game, old stadium was much better.

GameTime
05-17-2013, 01:42 PM
sure he is. In the same regard I am allowed to show my discontent over something I feel is a useless topic.
The building is there, its going to be there for another 30 years. Its a done deal.......

Jet-Blue
05-17-2013, 05:00 PM
It should last about 30 years

So only 27 more years and counting LOL

RoanokeFan
05-17-2013, 05:08 PM
It was outdated the day it was finished, if you have been there in person you would know what I mean, poorly designed, access horrible both entering and leaving, total lack of rest rooms in club section, so far from the field you have to watch the game on the big screen while you are at the game, old stadium was much better.

Not everyone who has been there agrees with your characterization, me being one of them. I don't know what we expect for a building we go to to watch a football game for three hours. If it's that it's not "Giants' Stadium" there is no remedy for that. But my experience has been the opposite of yours and I don't live well enough to have seats in the club section. But the lower level seats I have are an improvement over Giants' Stadium, the rest rooms are cleaner, larger, and far shorter lines to wait in, ingress and egress is not a problem as I am willing to use stairs when lines for for the escalators. The field is where it is and I've sat in my seats and seats in the Mezzanine and have no problem watching the game without benefit of the 4 jumbotrons (also an improvement over Giants' Stadium).

RoanokeFan
05-17-2013, 05:08 PM
So only 27 more years and counting LOL

Piece of cake

Joe Morrison
05-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Not everyone who has been there agrees with your characterization, me being one of them. I don't know what we expect for a building we go to to watch a football game for three hours. If it's that it's not "Giants' Stadium" there is no remedy for that. But my experience has been the opposite of yours and I don't live well enough to have seats in the club section. But the lower level seats I have are an improvement over Giants' Stadium, the rest rooms are cleaner, larger, and far shorter lines to wait in, ingress and egress is not a problem as I am willing to use stairs when lines for for the escalators. The field is where it is and I've sat in my seats and seats in the Mezzanine and have no problem watching the game without benefit of the 4 jumbotrons (also an improvement over Giants' Stadium).
You cannot tell me that you can feel the game in the 2nd level of the New Stadium, it's a joke how far away from the field we are and we are in the first couple rows, the old stadium made you feel you were right there. As far as getting in and out, maybe on level one you're good but the idea you have to walk around to the other end of the escalator every time you drop a level, they did this in Sears so you would do more shopping, pitiful.