PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer? MetLife Stadium or Cowboys, Vikings, Falcons new stadiums?...

Jorge Boada
05-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Thinking in Giants philosophy, the most important thing is the game, we don't like Cowboys or Jets sexy fashion stuff... WE LIKE THE GAME!!!
Cowboys, Falcons and Vikings new stadium are amazings, but I think MetLife stadium reflects our philosophy. That's cool....

joemorrisforprez
05-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Vikings new stadium looks great, and totally meshes with the team's identify.

If they renamed the New York Giants to New York HVAC Repairmen, we'd have the perfect match with our stadium.

http://files.magnolia.gethifi.com/air-conditioner.jpghttp://media.nj.com/hobokennow_impact/photo/new-meadowlands-stadium-super-bowl-bid-525jpgjpg-48b6c007fa40ec83-largejpg-9498fde50f1e809a_large.jpg

Flip Empty
05-14-2013, 08:50 PM
we don't like Cowboys or Jets sexy fashion stuff... WE LIKE THE GAME!!!

...I think MetLife stadium reflects our philosophy. That's cool....
But it's the Jets' stadium, too.

The Vikings' one looks great for fans as they won't be seated miles away from the field.

joemorrisforprez
05-14-2013, 08:54 PM
But it's the Jets' stadium, too.

The Vikings' one looks great for fans as they won't be seated miles away from the field.

That's true....couldn't really tailor it to the Giants.

Still though, the exterior looks drab to me, but wtf, I'm watching from my couch in Chicago, so no skin off my ***.

RoanokeFan
05-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Met Life Stadium is just fine for the few hours we get to watch OUR TEAM play whoever.

Flip Empty
05-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Still though, the exterior looks drab to me
It does. It already looks dated. A bit of a missed opportunity considering how much was spent on it.

bigblue58
05-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Well...my avatar is the old stadium so I guess you can figure out how I feel about the new one!

<-----------

Manning
05-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Our philosophy needs to evolve. I understand we all like to pound our chests and say we are an old school franchise that prides itself on tradition. The league, sport, and game all have evolved immensely since Giants Stadium was constructed.

I argue that MetLife is simply a newer, bigger, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. Since Giants Stadium was constructed the technology for at home entertainment has made watching the game at home a better experience than going to game when you factor in costs. Our philosophy should have evolved to incorporate ways to provide more incentive and perks for attendees to come to the games. I really think this starts with some sort of roof.

Don't talk about how football was meant to be played in the elements and how much homefield advantage we get from this. First off, the league has turned into a passing game. The rules have been made to increase passing successful and have led to success for pass heavy teams. Does playing in the elements really provide us a home field advantage? The stats point to no. This a farce among most Giants fans.

The stadium with a roof could have generated enough extra revenue to payoff the cost of the roof. Outside of football, the stadium is not used for any events in the winter due to it being an open venue. Most of the time it is unused from January to the end of March. (Probably even into April). A roof could have led to the demolition of the izod Arena and added even more parking spots. The roof increases crowd noise by 1) keeping all the noise in the building 2) fans that are usually freezing to death and just sit on their *** will now be warm, comfortable, and willing to jump and scream around.

Say what you will, but MetLife is just a bigger, newer, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. It does not have the amenities most of the new stadiums have to offer, and really was not worth the cost to 90% of fans. If you think spending that kind of money for a venue that is behind the times and provides only a few perks, then fine, call me a complainer. I believe it was a irresponsible and wasteful way to spend $1.6 Billion.

Dorothy
05-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Hate to say it, but JJ did a great job on their stadium. Has a roof, has expensive seats, also has cheaper seats for the less economically endowed and the fans did not have to remortgage their homes to help pay for it. It is the only thing I've ever given him credit for doing. I still do not like the Cowgirls.

Sovereign
05-15-2013, 01:33 AM
For football newer stadiums like the Cowboys and Giants are great. I like the traditional feel in baseball though with stadiums like Fenway or the old YS. But for football I feel like you need the best facilities.

BlueSanta
05-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Our philosophy needs to evolve. I understand we all like to pound our chests and say we are an old school franchise that prides itself on tradition. The league, sport, and game all have evolved immensely since Giants Stadium was constructed.

I argue that MetLife is simply a newer, bigger, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. Since Giants Stadium was constructed the technology for at home entertainment has made watching the game at home a better experience than going to game when you factor in costs. Our philosophy should have evolved to incorporate ways to provide more incentive and perks for attendees to come to the games. I really think this starts with some sort of roof.

Don't talk about how football was meant to be played in the elements and how much homefield advantage we get from this. First off, the league has turned into a passing game. The rules have been made to increase passing successful and have led to success for pass heavy teams. Does playing in the elements really provide us a home field advantage? The stats point to no. This a farce among most Giants fans.

The stadium with a roof could have generated enough extra revenue to payoff the cost of the roof. Outside of football, the stadium is not used for any events in the winter due to it being an open venue. Most of the time it is unused from January to the end of March. (Probably even into April). A roof could have led to the demolition of the izod Arena and added even more parking spots. The roof increases crowd noise by 1) keeping all the noise in the building 2) fans that are usually freezing to death and just sit on their *** will now be warm, comfortable, and willing to jump and scream around.

Say what you will, but MetLife is just a bigger, newer, and uglier version of Giants Stadium. It does not have the amenities most of the new stadiums have to offer, and really was not worth the cost to 90% of fans. If you think spending that kind of money for a venue that is behind the times and provides only a few perks, then fine, call me a complainer. I believe it was a irresponsible and wasteful way to spend $1.6 Billion.

While I understand what you are saying, you are ignoring the reasons why our stadium is the way it is. Metlife lacks the "fluff" of some other stadiums simply because of the constructions costs and developmental costs in the area. Do you have any idea how expensive it would have been to build a Cowboys stadiums type place here in NY/NJ? It's unrealistic. NYC is essentially the most expensive place in the world to build something. There is a reason it took 2 teams to fund this stadium, and it cost about 50% more than the Cowboys stadium.

bigblue58
05-15-2013, 08:44 AM
I just long for the old stadium with the iconic GIANTS STADIUM sign.
The loss of the good ole days of Giants stadium is not something I merely miss....it's something I actually mourn!

SweetZombieJesus
05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Thinking in Giants philosophy, the most important thing is the game, we don't like Cowboys or Jets sexy fashion stuff... WE LIKE THE GAME!!!
Cowboys, Falcons and Vikings new stadium are amazings, but I think MetLife stadium reflects our philosophy. That's cool....

This is what the Jets' west side stadium would have looked like. Does it look familiar?

http://www.jetnation.com/jetswiki/images/6/61/WestSideStadium2.jpg http://www.sportsbusinesssims.com/jetsstadium2.jpg

bigblue58
05-15-2013, 09:04 AM
The thing I hate most about the new stadium is the fact that the Jets half own it and play there!
It feels like we went in halfies on a house with our lowlife dysfunctional in laws!

GameTime
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
did we really need another thread on this....????

RoanokeFan
05-15-2013, 12:13 PM
did we really need another thread on this....????

It's like the cheerleader threads, we get them every season

G-G-GMen420
05-15-2013, 02:23 PM
I like the stadium personally! I like the clean look in buildings.... They seem to stand the test of time better then the elaborate architecture IMO

keyofgmen
05-15-2013, 02:27 PM
It's like the cheerleader threads, we get them every season

Wait! We don't have CHEERLEADERS???? What!?:eek::p

M00KIE
05-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I prefer my living room.

ashleymarie
05-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I would rather eat poison than say this but JJ's stadium in Arlington, Tx. is the most comfortable I have ever been in. My relatives love it also when they come to see the Giants here.

Joe Morrison
05-17-2013, 10:31 AM
I have not been to Cowboy Stadium but my brother has tickets to Met Life and lives in Texas and has been to both, his description, Jerry built a palace, Mara built a Home Depot!
My brother is long time Giant fan but the facts are the facts.

RoanokeFan
05-17-2013, 10:50 AM
I have not been to Cowboy Stadium but my brother has tickets to Met Life and lives in Texas and has been to both, his description, Jerry built a palace, Mara built a Home Depot!

How does this affect the game of football?

Manning
05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Football was still able to played on the field at Giants Stadium too ;).

RoanokeFan
05-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Football was still able to played on the field at Giants Stadium too ;).

True enough, but after 30 years, buildings tend to need a lot of maintenance and it makes more financial sense to move.

GameTime
05-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Jerry wouldnt have built that stadium in NJ......would have cost way more $$.

penguinfarmer
05-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Falcon's stadium isn't approved. They're just proposals. Most of that will change once funding comes into play.

Shimmy
While I understand what you are saying, you are ignoring the reasons why our stadium is the way it is. Metlife lacks the "fluff" of some other stadiums simply because of the constructions costs and developmental costs in the area. Do you have any idea how expensive it would have been to build a Cowboys stadiums type place here in NY/NJ? It's unrealistic. NYC is essentially the most expensive place in the world to build something. There is a reason it took 2 teams to fund this stadium, and it cost about 50% more than the Cowboys stadium.
+1

This is how Donald Trump became such a rich man. He knew the NYC guidelines for property flipping, trading, and buying. Made loads off it.

penguinfarmer

Easy. Eli robbed Jones of his palace. Now Giants got a two for one deal.

penguinfarmer
05-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Vikings new stadium looks great, and totally meshes with the team's identify.

If they renamed the New York Giants to New York HVAC Repairmen, we'd have the perfect match with our stadium.

Honestly, there is a ton to criticize the stadium from an architectural standpoint. But it's always absurd to do it from an aerial perspective when you never even experience the building from that vantage point unless you fly over in a helicopter. The 300 level, issues with circulation, even the aesthetic of the lobbies are understandable.

Only thing pertinent is from here:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0829/bos_metlifestadium_576.jpg
http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/98916061.jpg?w=420
http://360architects.com/images/NMS/NMS_interior_hall.jpg

Joe Morrison
05-17-2013, 07:00 PM
True enough, but after 30 years, buildings tend to need a lot of maintenance and it makes more financial sense to move.
The only reason to upgrade was to build a new stadium with a roof or one that could be opened and closed, the new stadium blows.

penguinfarmer
05-17-2013, 07:42 PM
The only reason to upgrade was to build a new stadium with a roof or one that could be opened and closed, the new stadium blows.

That's not true. By securing private funds under the new developer and company of New Meadowlands/Metlife Stadium Co. which is a joint venture between the two teams, they were able to alleviate plenty of the fiscal burden of the NJ Sports and Exhibition Authority which owned old Giants Stadium.

Also, while expensive in initial costs, that stadium is the greenest stadium in the world, able to save on operating costs for the next few decades. Cowboys Stadium has a southern oriented glazed facade, which is pretty energy-inefficient in Texas heat.

Lastly, they partnered with the EPA, so you know they were handsomely rewarded by doing so. The upgrade had huge financial reasoning for the owners.

GameTime
05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
and yet they got an SB coming this season....
I guess they did somehting right

Roosevelt
05-18-2013, 12:07 PM
That's not true. By securing private funds under the new developer and company of New Meadowlands/Metlife Stadium Co. which is a joint venture between the two teams, they were able to alleviate plenty of the fiscal burden of the NJ Sports and Exhibition Authority which owned old Giants Stadium.

Also, while expensive in initial costs, that stadium is the greenest stadium in the world, able to save on operating costs for the next few decades. Cowboys Stadium has a southern oriented glazed facade, which is pretty energy-inefficient in Texas heat.

Lastly, they partnered with the EPA, so you know they were handsomely rewarded by doing so. The upgrade had huge financial reasoning for the owners.

This is what it is all about.

bigal1giant
05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Perhaps all the platitudes about the current stadium are correct. But, as said a million times over, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"! And in this beholders eye, having been in the stadium every year since it opened, it's just another ugly monolith. I also truly believe that if Wellington was alive when the project was conceived, one, we would never have shared our house with a bunch of dysfunctional squatters, and two, there'd never have been PSL's! The old gentleman had a hell of a lot more class that those who've come after him!

RoanokeFan
05-19-2013, 12:27 PM

Economics drives the world

SweetZombieJesus
05-19-2013, 06:46 PM

The real reason is franchise value. Owning the stadium counts towards the team's valuation. NJ SEA owned the old stadium, not the Giants.

In 2007 the Giants were worth $974 million. As of 2012 they're worth $1.5 billion. The Jets went from $967 million to $1.3 billion.