PDA

View Full Version : Giants Finalize Aaron Curry's Deal; One Year, $780K

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 06:39 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/16/new-york-giants-finalize-olb-aaron-currys-deal-one-year-780k/

Excerpt: "Aaron Curry's deal with the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants has become official and finalized, as the details of the contract have been released. And per NFLPA records, his contract is a one-year deal worth $780,000. His base salary is for $715,000, plus he will earn a $50,000 roster bonus, as well as a $15,000 workout bonus. His cap number against the salary cap is $620,000.

Curry's deal with the Giants is considered a "prove it" type deal to see if he can live up to the hype and ability he had when he once was the number four overall pick of the Seattle Seahawks back in the 2009 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Draft.

When Curry first came into the league, his rookie deal with Seattle was a six-year, $60 million deal with $34 million guaranteed. But injuries have hampered the 27-year-old, and lead to him being traded in 2011 to the Oakland Raiders for a seventh round pick." Read more...

penguinfarmer
05-16-2013, 06:42 AM
I wish I could net a 780k "prove it" salary for a year.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 06:43 AM
I wish I could net a 780k "prove it" salary.

And it's chump change in the NFL environment. The salaries are obscene for the most part.

Rat_bastich
05-16-2013, 06:45 AM
I'm pulling for the guy, it is definitely an uphill battle. He is coming out of a deeper hole than most players, he is coming from the Raiders. The Black Hole was/is more than a state of mind, it is a physical place.

Carter.525
05-16-2013, 06:53 AM
bascially what I get..

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Reese is making these one year deals, where he can, to assure a better CAP space situation beyond 2013

Kruunch
05-16-2013, 08:01 AM
So basically a vet minimum deal.

Cool Papa B.
05-16-2013, 08:10 AM
And it's chump change in the NFL environment. The salaries are obscene for the most part.

I actually feel these guys are underpaid compared to the 3 other major sports, the health & injury risks you take playing in theNFL, and the amount of revenue the NFL generates every year. I know it's a bit off topic, but I just had to throw my 2 cents in there.

slipknottin
05-16-2013, 08:20 AM
620k cap number

Toadofsteel
05-16-2013, 09:10 AM
I actually feel these guys are underpaid compared to the 3 other major sports, the health & injury risks you take playing in theNFL, and the amount of revenue the NFL generates every year. I know it's a bit off topic, but I just had to throw my 2 cents in there.

The NFL is also the only sport with a hard salary cap (although I may be wrong about that, I think the NHL adopted a similar cap in their last CBA). Baseball just has a luxury tax if you go over their cap (which is where the "Yankees buy championships" argument comes from)

All this cap finagling has made football players less paid overall, yes, but on the other hand, it has also made it so that, in theory, any team can crack the playoffs any year. Obviously some of the less well-run franchises are not going to make it, but even late in the season it is not uncommon to still see 20 teams still in the playoff hunt. On top of that, it practically ensures that the NFL will remain financially solvent, barring any class-action lawsuit going into the billions...

devilsadvocate
05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
He's been a bust with nothing to show that he will turn the corner. This is a simple roll of the dice.

DaKraken
05-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Nice job JR.

TCHOF
05-16-2013, 10:54 AM
620k cap number

What about if he doesn't make the final roster?

Cool Papa B.
05-16-2013, 11:22 AM
The NFL is also the only sport with a hard salary cap (although I may be wrong about that, I think the NHL adopted a similar cap in their last CBA). Baseball just has a luxury tax if you go over their cap (which is where the "Yankees buy championships" argument comes from)

All this cap finagling has made football players less paid overall, yes, but on the other hand, it has also made it so that, in theory, any team can crack the playoffs any year. Obviously some of the less well-run franchises are not going to make it, but even late in the season it is not uncommon to still see 20 teams still in the playoff hunt. On top of that, it practically ensures that the NFL will remain financially solvent, barring any class-action lawsuit going into the billions...

Good point. But I feel they should raise the cap enough so that the min. wage would be at least $1.25 mill. The health risks in the game is high and the avg. career in the NFL is short (about 6-7 years I believe). I like that there's a cap in the game because it does keep things competitive. But raising it to pay the players a little more- who make the owners rich- doesn't hurt.

slipknottin
05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
What about if he doesn't make the final roster?

$0 cap hit

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
$0 cap hit

Is that true for any player who doesn't make the final 53?

Broadway Blue
05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
This is a big win for the Giants

Roosevelt
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM

Yeah, but don't forget the NFL has the largest roster.

Kruunch
05-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Is that true for any player who doesn't make the final 53?

Just whatever bonuses they're due (or have been pro-rated).

devilsadvocate
05-16-2013, 12:21 PM
This is a big win for the Giants
say what? how?

A big win is when an impact player is signed. When you roll the dice on a bust, it may turn out to be a win but most likely will will not. Just because I bought Powerball lottery ticket does not mean its a big win.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 12:26 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/16/new-york-giants-finalize-olb-aaron-currys-deal-one-year-780k/

Excerpt: "Aaron Curry's deal with the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants has become official and finalized, as the details of the contract have been released. And per NFLPA records, his contract is a one-year deal worth $780,000. His base salary is for $715,000, plus he will earn a $50,000 roster bonus, as well as a $15,000 workout bonus. His cap number against the salary cap is $620,000.

Curry's deal with the Giants is considered a "prove it" type deal to see if he can live up to the hype and ability he had when he once was the number four overall pick of the Seattle Seahawks back in the 2009 NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Draft.

When Curry first came into the league, his rookie deal with Seattle was a six-year, $60 million deal with $34 million guaranteed. But injuries have hampered the 27-year-old, and lead to him being traded in 2011 to the Oakland Raiders for a seventh round pick." Read more...

I'm doing laps on my Rosary Beads praying this guy regains his college mojo.

Broadway Blue
05-16-2013, 12:29 PM
say what? how?

A big win is when an impact player is signed. When you roll the dice on a bust, it may turn out to be a win but most likely will will not. Just because I bought Powerball lottery ticket does not mean its a big win.

Curry has a chip on his shoulder and I think he will step up his game and be a productive player

The deal they got for Curry is a win for the Giants

ELI_HOF_NYG
05-16-2013, 01:01 PM
my approach with curry is to expect more of the same, if he plays anywhere near the player he was supposed to be than kudos for us.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 01:47 PM
my approach with curry is to expect more of the same, if he plays anywhere near the player he was supposed to be than kudos for us.

I think that's a rational approach.

I'm trying to remember if it was Bill Parcells who said it, but to paraphrase, it was "If the kid produced at the college level, there's evidence he can produce at the pro level. If he hasn't shown you anything in college, how do you expect him to suddenly take the next step up and be a star?"

Not to derail the thread, but look at Pugh.....the knock on him is that "he has short arms". Well, in my opinion, I couldn't give a **** about his arms.....he was a solid, versatile college player, and I'm confident he'll be coached into a good pro player.

With Curry, I'm expecting an average player because of his pro career, but hoping something might pop to the upside because of his college tape.

And really, if Curry is a "C+" player, and stays healthy, he's a net upgrade at the linebacker position.

jomo
05-16-2013, 02:17 PM
The salary is set in a way that the only surprises will be pleasant one. If he washes out,..................whatever.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 02:30 PM
The salary is set in a way that the only surprises will be pleasant one. If he washes out,..................whatever.

It was a smart move by Reese.....very similar to the Rivers signing.

slipknottin
05-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Just whatever bonuses they're due (or have been pro-rated).

Well yes, but in those cases only if that remaining bonus makes them one of the 53 highest paid players. Only the top 53 count for cap purposes.

I do believe all veterans have their year salary if at vet min guaranteed come the first week of the season.

Odan
05-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Keep throwing crap at the wall and something is bound to stick right Jerry? Okay, highly doubtful but maybe Curry turns his disappointing 4 year stink in the NFL around now that he is a Giant. Problem is I can't think of anyone who has done such a thing. Somebody please name some defensive players who have bombed their first three to four years who turned it around to become decent players.

Breezely
05-17-2013, 02:12 PM
What a bargain!!!!!

Kruunch
05-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Well yes, but in those cases only if that remaining bonus makes them one of the 53 highest paid players. Only the top 53 count for cap purposes.

I do believe all veterans have their year salary if at vet min guaranteed come the first week of the season.

I didn't know just the top 53 salaries counted .... good stuff. :)

DVision
05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Keep throwing crap at the wall and something is bound to stick right Jerry? Okay, highly doubtful but maybe Curry turns his disappointing 4 year stink in the NFL around now that he is a Giant. Problem is I can't think of anyone who has done such a thing. Somebody please name some defensive players who have bombed their first three to four years who turned it around to become decent players.

New team! New environment! New system! Carlos Rodgers comes to mind when you speak of players turning things around. Although I wouldn't call his early years a "bomb", he was not spectacular as a Redskin, but the past 2 seasons with SF he's been the #1 corner that I'm sure Washington envisioned him as when they drafted him.

FishinTheSalt
05-17-2013, 03:21 PM
New team! New environment! New system! Carlos Rodgers comes to mind when you speak of players turning things around. Although I wouldn't call his early years a "bomb", he was not spectacular as a Redskin, but the past 2 seasons with SF he's been the #1 corner that I'm sure Washington envisioned him as when they drafted him.

I went back to look at Antonio Pierce's numbers with the deadskins. Numbers seem pretty weak until his fourth season, then he defected to us. I'd say he turned into a pretty solid lb for us for a few years, wouldn't you say?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2842/antonio-pierce

Kruunch
05-17-2013, 03:49 PM
I went back to look at Antonio Pierce's numbers with the deadskins. Numbers seem pretty weak until his fourth season, then he defected to us. I'd say he turned into a pretty solid lb for us for a few years, wouldn't you say?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2842/antonio-pierce

AP was very solid for us. He was a prototypical MLB until the Tampa 2 defense came into vogue.

TCHOF
05-17-2013, 04:19 PM
AP was very solid for us. He was a prototypical MLB until the Tampa 2 defense came into vogue.

I thought it was until his belly blocked his view of his feet . . . .