PDA

View Full Version : Say What You Will About Diehl's Play of Late . . . . .

TCHOF
05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
If you listened to his interview on Sirius this morning, it's hard not to love the guy. He loves being a Giant and is a total team guy. Texted Pugh right after the draft and offered to help him in any way he can.

Mercury
05-16-2013, 11:01 AM
He's making a lot less now, so I think people are ok with him as a backup on our team. However, no one really wants to see him on the field anymore.

TCHOF
05-16-2013, 11:06 AM
He's making a lot less now, so I think people are ok with him as a backup on our team. However, no one really wants to see him on the field anymore.

Including me . . . but my point is that he came off real well in the interview . . . IMO anyway

Kruunch
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
I've always liked Diehl. He's done everything asked of him and has performed well for the Giants.

One of the best draft pick values we've ever had (he was a 5th round pick).

penguinfarmer
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Probably texted Pugh how he likes his steaks done.

I wonder what Brett Favre texted Aaron Rodgers once he was drafted.

NYGabriel
05-16-2013, 11:11 AM
He's a turnstile these days but it's hard not to like Diehl.

Cool Papa B.
05-16-2013, 11:34 AM
If you listened to his interview on Sirius this morning, it's hard not to love the guy. He loves being a Giant and is a total team guy. Texted Pugh right after the draft and offered to help him in any way he can.

Really nice guy. Real team player. Besides the drunk driving incident last year, he has had a clean record on and off the field.

But his skills have deteriorated. It happens to every player. It's time to move on.

jomo
05-16-2013, 11:36 AM
If you listened to his interview on Sirius this morning, it's hard not to love the guy. He loves being a Giant and is a total team guy. Texted Pugh right after the draft and offered to help him in any way he can.I love RoanokeFan too but it doesn't mean he can play OL for us! :D
On the serious side, Diehl has always been a stand up guy including the DWI incident last year. I'd love him as a neighbor and I'm hoping he can contribute this year.

TAILGATIN'
05-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Theres a difference between loving your team and still being able to play the game like you used to. Same as me liking him as a guy, but losing faith in him as a starter.

JB456
05-16-2013, 12:15 PM

I don't think anyone has a problem with Diehl's attitude or actions. He has always said the right things and been a class act off the field, with the exception of that DWI.

People just didn't like the idea of Diehl taking up a lot of cap space coupled with his declining play on the field. I'm sure the vast majority of fans wouldn't mind if Diehl kept himself affiliated with the team, as a coach or in some other capacity, when he retires.

MattMeyerBud
05-16-2013, 12:16 PM

front office attributed a lot of his failures last year due to injury..

we'll see I guess.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 12:18 PM
I love RoanokeFan too but it doesn't mean he can play OL for us! :D
On the serious side, Diehl has always been a stand up guy including the DWI incident last year. I'd love him as a neighbor and I'm hoping he can contribute this year.

SUIT ME UP!

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 12:19 PM
He's a turnstile these days but it's hard not to like Diehl.

I'd like to see him go out in a blaze of glory.

fansince69
05-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I'd like to see him go out in a blaze of glory.getting torched?

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 12:23 PM

I agree....he's an awesome Giant.

Time will tell whether or not he deserves to remain a starter. But he'll always deserve the respect of fans that appreciate hard work and a team-first attitude.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see him go out in a blaze of glory.

He could be our answer at middle linebacker.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
getting torched?

Here's the thing. Diehl has played at every position they've asked him to play for ten years. He was dealing with injuries last season as well as declining so it's easy to rag on him. He took a pretty significant pay cut to play one more season. He's had surgery so they are going to let him compete.

fansince69
05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Here's the thing. Diehl has played at every position they've asked him to play for ten years. He was dealing with injuries last season as well as declining so it's easy to rag on him. He took a pretty significant pay cut to play one more season. He's had surgery so they are going to let him compete.RF it was a joke to your statement....I love what he has done for the giants....I just think his time is up

Carter.525
05-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Diehl is a depth at this point, that is all

keyofgmen
05-16-2013, 12:35 PM
A very nice career. One bonehead mistake (that we know of). A good option off bench when needed this year, then he has his next job already set up on NFLN.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 12:38 PM
RF it was a joke to your statement....I love what he has done for the giants....I just think his time is up

Thata wasn't meant for you, it's the "he's a bum" crowd it was meant for.

fansince69
05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Thata wasn't meant for you, it's the "he's a bum" crowd it was meant for.Not a bum...Has been well respected ,true Giant...but as I said ....everyone(even you and I)gets old

ashleymarie
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Diehl is an experienced and unselfish GIANT. He is willing to help the team in anyway and everyway. For years he was Eli's stronghold. I give Diehl my respect.

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Not a bum...Has been well respected ,true Giant...but as I said ....everyone(even you and I)gets old

I'll have you know I am in the prime of old!

Broadway Blue
05-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Diehl is an experienced and unselfish GIANT. He is willing to help the team in anyway and everyway. For years he was Eli's stronghold. I give Diehl my respect.

+1

keyofgmen
05-16-2013, 12:48 PM
I'll have you know I am in the prime of old!

LOL..I wonder what the average age of folks on this board?

RoanokeFan
05-16-2013, 12:50 PM
LOL..I wonder what the average age of folks on this board?

Hard to tell as many act much younger than their years :p

Drez
05-16-2013, 12:51 PM
I wonder what Brett Favre texted Aaron Rodgers once he was drafted.Probably a **** pic.

BigBlue wins
05-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Probably a **** pic.

Sometimes you dont need stars to block the meaning. lol

Toadofsteel
05-16-2013, 01:58 PM
I might give grief over his declining playing ability, but never the man himself (well, except when that DUI happened, but luckily nobody was hurt and he seems to have atoned for that)...

I'll say what I've been saying for over a year now: Diehl belongs in our ring of honor, not our OL. He's earned his rest, and no matter what he's become now as a player, he will always be remembered by me as a great Giant, a true embodiment of what it means to be a Giant...

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Here's the thing. Diehl has played at every position they've asked him to play for ten years. He was dealing with injuries last season as well as declining so it's easy to rag on him. He took a pretty significant pay cut to play one more season. He's had surgery so they are going to let him compete.

Diehl is a depth at this point, that is all

Diehl would be a quality backup....might lengthen his career. I remember when we had Grey Ruegamer on the team....he stepped in and really helped patch things up.

I trust Coughlin to make the right call on Diehl. He's extremely loyal to his vets. If Diehl is a backup this season, I'm sure it's because that's where he can contribute the most.

jomo
05-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Diehl would be a quality backup....might lengthen his career. I remember when we had Grey Ruegamer on the team....he stepped in and really helped patch things up.The thought of Diehl as a depth is a good thought. The thought of him as a starter.............not.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 02:22 PM
The thought of Diehl as a depth is a good thought. The thought of him as a starter.............not.

You're probably right. I think Coughlin gives him a shot to keep a starting role. But I'll be interested to see how he does now that he is healthy....could be a really nice surprise.

Regardless, I think a healthy Diehl has value on this team.

jomo
05-16-2013, 02:25 PM
You're probably right. I think Coughlin gives him a shot to keep a starting role. But I'll be interested to see how he does now that he is healthy....could be a really nice surprise.

Regardless, I think a healthy Diehl has value on this team.If he starts we have the same line as last year except for and old line, a year older and Snee coming off surgery. That's why I don't like the idea. Last year's performance by the unit was unacceptable and the thought of no change is also unacceptable.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 02:29 PM
If he starts we have the same line as last year except for and old line, a year older and Snee coming off surgery. That's why I don't like the idea. Last year's performance by the unit was unacceptable and the thought of no change is also unacceptable.

I suppose it will depend on whether 2013 Diehl is better than 2012 Diehl. Maybe the injury was bad....we'll find out.

Also, Pugh, while obviously the future, might not be ready to go on opening day.....it might take him some time to be starter-ready.....we'll find that out soon enough too.

TCHOF
05-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Well, the one thing that he said that mostly everyone will be unhappy with is that no one from the orgamization has talked to him about the drafting of Pugh and that, as far as he knows now, he is still the starting RT. (He said this after stressing that the organization is very good at communicating with the players about their status, etc.)

That makes sense though. What would the FO say to him . . . . "You're no longer the starting RT, because we are going to start our first round draft pick even though he's never stepped onto the field as a pro"?

The job is Diehl's to lose in training camp, and I am confident that he will lose it. It would be silly for the FO or coaching staff to annoint another starter before then.

jomo
05-16-2013, 02:31 PM
I suppose it will depend on whether 2013 Diehl is better than 2012 Diehl. Maybe the injury was bad....we'll find out.

Also, Pugh, while obviously the future, might not be ready to go on opening day.....it might take him some time to be starter-ready.....we'll find that out soon enough too.I am not worried about Diehl's injury, I am worried about his age. He has been in decline for 3 years and there is no reason to think that was a trend that will stop now.

B-Red22
05-16-2013, 02:46 PM
As a person DD bleeds blue, I dont ever think that was a question. On the field is where people including myself have a huge issue with him

ironfox
05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
I dont think anybody has questioned his heart or his character. It's his play that has been the issue. It's unfortunate that his play has declined the past few seasons, it could'nt have happened to a nicer guy.

jomo
05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
As a person DD bleeds blue, I dont ever think that was a question. On the field is where people including myself have a huge issue with him Seubert bled blue as well and his road came to an end. Not saying that this is where it ends for Diehl but he doesn't have starter skill anymore. Wishing him the best whatever that brings this year.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Well, the one thing that he said that mostly everyone will be unhappy with is that no one from the orgamization has talked to him about the drafting of Pugh and that, as far as he knows now, he is still the starting RT. (He said this after stressing that the organization is very good at communicating with the players about their status, etc.)

That makes sense though. What would the FO say to him . . . . "You're no longer the starting RT, because we are going to start our first round draft pick even though he's never stepped onto the field as a pro"?

The job is Diehl's to lose in training camp, and I am confident that he will lose it. It would be silly for the FO or coaching staff to annoint another starter before then.

I agree.

Coughlin will give Diehl the chance to keep his job, but he's all about winning....the best guys are going to start.

Cool Papa B.
05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I agree.

Coughlin will give Diehl the chance to keep his job, but he's all about winning....the best guys are going to start.

I don't know about that last sentence. Sean Locklear was doing a good job at RT last season but then once Deihl came off the DL he put him back at RT and IMO broke the rhythm the OLine had.

DownWitJPP
05-16-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't know about that last sentence. Sean Locklear was doing a good job at RT last season but then once Deihl came off the DL he put him back at RT and IMO broke the rhythm the OLine had.

on this team you can't lose your starting job due to an injury. I agree, removing Locklear was a terrible mistake, the O-line was actually playing together and with some consistency

ImElectric2
05-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I liked him better when his name was Dane Cook.

jomo
05-16-2013, 11:26 PM
I don't know about that last sentence. Sean Locklear was doing a good job at RT last season but then once Deihl came off the DL he put him back at RT and IMO broke the rhythm the OLine had.I am pretty sure that TC loves his job more than he loves veterans. You may disagree with who the best player is but I am sure he is playing the best player at every position.

Cool Papa B.
05-16-2013, 11:34 PM
on this team you can't lose your starting job due to an injury. I agree, removing Locklear was a terrible mistake, the O-line was actually playing together and with some consistency

In this case I don't see it as losing your spot because of injury. It's simply the best player earning the right to start and play the majority of the snaps. Both players worked hard and practiced well. Locklear was better at RT and I think Coughlin knew that. But his incredible loyalty to his veterans IMO clouded his judgement.

BlueBlooded1979
05-17-2013, 02:16 AM
I think the animosity towards Diehl came from him playing over Locklear for a few games and the difference was not only noticeable it was overwhelming. Throw in the DUI and very high cap number and he is public enemy number 1. Hopefully he is a serviceable backup this year and can ride off into retirement with a third ring.

Diamondring
05-17-2013, 02:54 AM
Give the big man one more chance to see if what others have said about him are true.

Captain Chaos
05-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Stand up guy; however, let the competition begin!

myles2424
05-17-2013, 04:01 AM
Probably a **** pic.
Aaah yes, the Reliable *** pic.....one of the classic ice breakers of our generation.....if I ever become famous I'd like to apologize in advance for all the women that'll be coming forward with Myles's **** pics.....

giantsfam04
05-17-2013, 05:02 AM
The guy is a class act all the way, he may not be an everyday starter anymore but he can contribute as a spot starter and add depth at the tackle and guard positions. His true value will also be in the OL room, helping the younger guys get ready on game day. The guy is a TRUE PRO and those are hard to find, keep him around for a few more years and let him retire as a giant.

GameTime
05-17-2013, 01:58 PM
this is no surprise at all. He has always been a great example of a team player. The guy deserves all the respect in the world from Giants fans IMO....
I never trashed talked him. He is older and his skills ahve declined. So what....happens to 99% of the players in the NFL....

Diamondring
05-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Could he be preparing for coach after football?

TCHOF
05-17-2013, 02:25 PM
this is no surprise at all. He has always been a great example of a team player. The guy deserves all the respect in the world from Giants fans IMO....
I never trashed talked him. He is older and his skills ahve declined. So what....happens to 99% of the players in the NFL....

It actually happens to 100% of the players . . . . :D

RoanokeFan
05-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Could he be preparing for coach after football?

The demands put on coaches would not be appealing to former players lol

TuckandRolle
05-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Its not that we don't like deal, its that he's old and no longer can compete. He hurts us on the field.