PDA

View Full Version : Giants again in the mix for Charles Woodson

Broadway Blue
05-16-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/16/new-york-giants-back-in-mix-for-veteran-charles-woodson/

gumby74
05-16-2013, 11:36 AM
interesting. I'd be ok if it was a one year deal.

giantscolombia
This is awesome! not only for the reason that he can still play but because he can groom our new safeties into complete beasts with his experience.

giantscolombia
interesting. I'd be ok if it was a one year deal.
Vet min.

jomo
05-16-2013, 11:37 AM
.........at the right price.

FishinTheSalt
05-16-2013, 11:47 AM
I think any team in the league would take him for min. Out of the teams interested, Giants or Seahawks seem most likely for post season. Doubt it's about money for him. I'd pull the trigger. We need good leadership as I still don't think we have any on D. Certainly not Tuck.

BigBlue1971
05-16-2013, 11:48 AM
exactly, the right price!

he could certainly be a postive influence on all our younger players, superbowl champion with a great character!

FBomb
05-16-2013, 11:51 AM
He said he wants to end his career with a team who can win it all.

TheAnalyst
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Id be all for this. Another cheap 1 year deal.

I thought I read somewhere that Reese was trying to get away from these cheap 1 year rental deals though...

Jahh
05-16-2013, 11:57 AM
To everyone who says "at the right price", What does it matter? If it's a one year deal and there are not future salary cap implications, Why does it matter? It's not going to stop us from signing any other free agents. It's not our money.

King Sully
05-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Real leadership

fansince69
05-16-2013, 12:14 PM
The biggest concern of this thread seems to be money....just out of curiosity ...how do you guys see us fitting him on the roster?.....Currently consists of Rolle,Brown,Hill,Taylor and Sash.....normally we keep 4 Meaning One of those would have to be cut.....If we add woodson ....who else goes....Is it worth adding a guy who is on his way out to cut a young player?

repeatchamps
05-16-2013, 12:16 PM
If he is healthy and is agreeable to a one year deal or a 2 year deal w/ the 2nd year voidable, I am all for it. His experience and knowledge will help this secondary immensely and I am not even talking about for just Brown, Mundy, Hill, Sash, Prince, Hosley and now Taylor (i.e. all the young guys). He'd help Rolle in a big way as well.

King Sully
05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
The biggest concern of this thread seems to be money....just out of curiosity ...how do you guys see us fitting him on the roster?.....Currently consists of Rolle,Brown,Hill,Taylor and Sash.....normally we keep 4 Meaning One of those would have to be cut.....If we add woodson ....who else goes....Is it worth adding a guy who is on his way out to cut a young player? also we have mundy on the roster

Carter.525
05-16-2013, 12:42 PM
can he play LB?

fansince69
05-16-2013, 12:42 PM
also we have mundy on the rosterYupp....forgot about him...so I ask again ...where does he fit?

UKAnt14
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
One-year, vet minimum...I'd be all for it.

repeatchamps
05-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Yupp....forgot about him...so I ask again ...where does he fit?

They'd put Hill at a dime/nickel DB and cut Sash for Woodson or perhaps keep Sash too.

CB's:
Webster
Prince
Hosley
Ross
Hill

Safeties:
Mundy
Rolle
Brown
Woodson
Taylor (could just be listed as a Safety but he could be a hybrid LB'er)

Carter.525
05-16-2013, 12:50 PM
I ok this move..

fansince69
05-16-2013, 12:51 PM
They'd put Hill at a dime/nickel DB and cut Sash for Woodson.

CB's:
Webster
Prince
Hosley
Ross
Hill

Safeties:
Mundy
Rolle
Brown
Woodson
Taylor (could just be listed as a Safety but he could be a hybrid LB'er)Possible.... but Hill is a safety not a cornerback and with that roster you have 6 safety's or 5 if taylor is LB...and 4 cbs....Honestly not sure that works....I just do not see room for woodson without cutting a young player

egyptian420
05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't see us offering him a penny over vet minimum but I did hear him on NFL network 2 weeks ago where he said at this point he wants to be on a contender so hopefully he thinks we're then best contender out of that group because we're certainly not the highest bidders

The guy can still play too, he could be what Deon Grant was for us but even better

repeatchamps
05-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Possible.... but Hill is a safety not a cornerback and with that roster you have 6 safety's or 5 if taylor is LB...and 4 cbs....Honestly not sure that works....I just do not see room for woodson without cutting a young player

Hill unless he beats out Brown or Mundy will be used as some sort of DB in the nickel or dime anyway which is where his talents are best utilized imho. They could also just cut Mundy if they feel it is warranted to fit in Woodson.

fansince69
05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Hill unless he beats out Brown or Mundy will be used as some sort of DB in the nickel or dime anyway which is where his talents are best utilized imho. They could also just cut Mundy if they feel it is warranted to fit in Woodson.I understand what you are saying about hill....but if 3 cbs get hurt .....not unheard of on this team....do you want Hill playing cb?

FishinTheSalt
05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Yupp....forgot about him...so I ask again ...where does he fit?

He brings experience and presence on the field. Let him fight it out for a roster spot. This team has a real chance of going far and we need to put the best players forward this year. I agree I'd hate to see a young future player cut for a 1 year patch, but he's good enough that I'd take a chance.

repeatchamps
05-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I understand what you are saying about hill....but if 3 cbs get hurt .....not unheard of on this team....do you want Hill playing cb?

Woodson and Rolle are both experienced playing corner so they'd be options to fill in. If 3 CB's go down, they are dead meat anyway. I also forgot about Terrell Thomas not that I am relying on him at all honeslty for anything but he is likely to make the final 53 if he is 100% healthy. Giants have kept 6 or 7 CB's and 5 safeties before so it is not unheard of. Taylor will be named a LB'er so you can then have 5 CB's and 5 Safeties with a guy like Hill that can play some nickel and dime CB as well allowing them to keep Mundy too.

CB's:
Webster
Prince
Hosley
Ross
Hill
Thomas

Safeties:
Mundy
Rolle
Brown
Woodson
Taylor (could just be listed as a Safety but he could be a hybrid LB'er)

giantsfan420
05-16-2013, 01:04 PM
he'd be the 3rd safety/OLB in our sub package w/o a doubt. Will Hill and Hosely can duke it out for the nickel corner while Hill is developed (woodson can help with that) as a safety. Or, we could continue to use Rolle there and use Woodson as a ball hawking FS...

titwio
05-16-2013, 01:11 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/16/new-york-giants-back-in-mix-for-veteran-charles-woodson/

Why....don't the Giants have enough safeties?

repeatchamps
05-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Why....don't the Giants have enough safeties?

Woodson would be an incredible veteran presence out there. It is a very young secondary and Rolle cannot help all of them by himself and still have to worry about his own shortcomings as well. Another player like Rolle in Woodson who has played all the DB spots would be a tremendous asset.

fansince69
05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Woodson would be an incredible veteran presence out there. It is a very young secondary and Rolle cannot help all of them by himself and still have to worry about his own shortcomings as well. Another player like Rolle in Woodson who has played all the DB spots would be a tremendous asset.I am not questioning his value....I am just not sure giving up young talent is worth it....I still see it as... if we sign him we lose either taylor or hill....I think Sash is gone anyway....possible taylor goes to PS

titwio
05-16-2013, 01:27 PM
I am not questioning his value....I am just not sure giving up young talent is worth it....I still see it as... if we sign him we lose either taylor or hill....I think Sash is gone anyway....possible taylor goes to PS

They'd likely lose Taylor if they put him on the squad. I really hate the Mundy signing and right now he's in the mix for the 3rd safety role. Signing Woodson would leave question marks for himself, Hill, Cooper and even T2 who if healthy was supposed to be a Hybrid also.

I'd be confused over who actually gets playing time if they do sign Charles and what the scheme will look like. Not sure what they're thinking.

ny06
05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I rather get younger in the secondary over older. And of all positions to add a player, safety?
I like Woodson and what he brings to a team in regards to leadership and veteran presence.
Brown and Rolle are the starters, next Will Hill showed tremendous ability in limited play last season, he's only 23 years old; and can play the nickel corner spot if needed. Are we really going to keep a young talented player off the field for a old veteran?
And is Woodson willing to play special teams? Because we will have to cut a player either Sash or Mundy for Woodson, and those two are good special team players.
This team is not a bunch of wet behind the ears rookies, plenty of veteran presence throughout the team.

ImElectric2
05-16-2013, 01:42 PM
A still talented vet who plays multiple spots in a weak position on this team (secondary) that's still hungry to win a championship and is clearly the type of guy you'd want in a locker room in terms of intangibles......yeah let's find reasons to not want him.

FishinTheSalt
05-16-2013, 01:43 PM
They'd likely lose Taylor if they put him on the squad. I really hate the Mundy signing and right now he's in the mix for the 3rd safety role. Signing Woodson would leave question marks for himself, Hill, Cooper and even T2 who if healthy was supposed to be a Hybrid also.

I'd be confused over who actually gets playing time if they do sign Charles and what the scheme will look like. Not sure what they're thinking.

There were a couple of stories earlier this year on how the giants looked at college defenses for how to defend against the read option, maybe this has something to do with it. Just a guess, but here is a link. Maybe we'll be seeing some different looks like the 3rd safety. God knows the zone coverages we used last season were easy pickings for most opponents.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/03/giants_tap_college_coaches_for.html

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
he'd be the 3rd safety/OLB in our sub package w/o a doubt. Will Hill and Hosely can duke it out for the nickel corner while Hill is developed (woodson can help with that) as a safety. Or, we could continue to use Rolle there and use Woodson as a ball hawking FS...

Yeah, definitely see him in those safety packages.

Some people are saying "vet minimum"....I totally disagree. This dude is crazy smart, and has pure instinct....his current 40 time is the least people should be worried about.

Woodson has played against the best QBs in the game....the best QBs of all time, in some cases. You could send him on the field in any situation and he'd know what to do. Contrast that to some of the Keystone Cop crap I saw from our secondary last season on 3rd and long.

It's not my money, but I'd overypay if needed to have Woodson help develop our young talent.

If he walks to Seattle over a few hundred grand, it would drive me nuts.....that's penny wise, pound foolish.

31st ranked defense = overpay for a future HOFer if he is on the market.

BlueBlooded1979
05-16-2013, 02:05 PM
A lot of things can happen between now and the end of camp. T2 could start the season on the PUP or an injury could occur. Woodson isn't a traditional safety either. He plays a lot of nickel LB and can kick out to corner in cover 2 looks.

I am concerned about the overal age of this defense. Rodgers, Jenkins, Tuck, Kiwi, Web, Ross, Rolle are older players. Adding Woodson sounds great but at 37 he may not be the same player in December that he is in October.

jomo
05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
On a one year deal (if that is what the market allows) and at the right price, I am happy to roll the dice on a guy with his credentials. He is a pro's pro and you can't have too many of those guys on the field or in the locker room.

gmen0820
05-16-2013, 02:10 PM
31st ranked defense = overpay for a future HOFer if he is on the market.That philosophy didn't work for the Raiders in 2008, it won't work for the Dolphins this year, and on a large scale, it wouldn't work for us either.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 02:11 PM
That philosophy didn't work for the Raiders in 2008, it won't work for the Dolphins this year, and on a large scale, it wouldn't work for us either.

I don't think you can compare the Raiders to the Giants. I'd compare the Raiders to the Jets, but not the Giants.

jomo
05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't think you can compare the Raiders to the Giants. I'd compare the Raiders to the Jets, but not the Giants.+1

gmen0820
05-16-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't think you can compare the Raiders to the Giants. I'd compare the Raiders to the Jets, but not the Giants.Not normally, but certainly in the context of "overpaying" players.

amukamerica
05-16-2013, 02:25 PM
sign woody for the sole purpose of using him down around the LOS to beat on RG3

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Not normally, but certainly in the context of "overpaying" players.

I think a few variables come into play..... the type of player, the need of the team, and the amount of "overpaying".

If we have the shot to land a guy of Woodson's caliber - even if he is past his prime - then I'd want Reese to dig those T-Rex arms into the Mara/Tisch piggybank and get a HOFer on the team to show the younger guys how to go about business.

And if history is any guide I'm pretty sure we are only about 90 days away from 1/2 of our secondary going on IR.....so Woodson will likely only look better down the stretch.

gmen0820
05-16-2013, 02:32 PM
I

And if history is any guide I'm pretty sure we are only about 90 days away from 1/2 of our secondary going on IR.....so the Woodson will likely only look better down the stretch.Ha! That's hilarious man.

Yeah, definitely wouldn't mind seeing NY sign Woodson. It'd be just another solid short-term, under the radar, signing that Reese makes. Myers, Woodson, Jenkins, Patterson -- these are all cheap guys that will give us good returns on our small investments.

But yeah, if the price is right -- and by that, I mean if we can afford him -- then bring him on. If we have to sweeten it a little because of a potential bidding war, then so be it, it won't hurt anyone if it's modicum. Like my OP in this thread said, it won't work for us (or anyone) on a large scale, and we generally don't do that.

repeatchamps
05-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I am not questioning his value....I am just not sure giving up young talent is worth it....I still see it as... if we sign him we lose either taylor or hill....I think Sash is gone anyway....possible taylor goes to PS

Per the last list I posted, don't think it would have to come to that. They'd list Taylor as a LB'er, cut Sash and keep everyone else I listed including Terrell Thomas if he is healthy.

fansince69
05-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Per the last list I posted, don't think it would have to come to that. They'd list Taylor as a LB'er, cut Sash and keep everyone else I listed including Terrell Thomas if he is healthy.To me that just seems like too many safeties and not enough capable cbs.....not saying I am right...just saying To me it doesn't make sense

pacco_diablo
05-16-2013, 02:41 PM
It would be eerily similar to the year we brought in the old vets Sam Madison and R.W. McQuaters. Didnt we win the SB that year? As much as I'd like to give Urlacher some consideration (risky i know & if price was the same), I'd still take Woodson in a heartbeat.

ImElectric2
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I think a few variables come into play..... the type of player, the need of the team, and the amount of "overpaying".If we have the shot to land a guy of Woodson's caliber - even if he is past his prime - then I'd want Reese to dig those T-Rex arms into the Mara/Tisch piggybank and get a HOFer on the team to show the younger guys how to go about business.And if history is any guide I'm pretty sure we are only about 90 days away from 1/2 of our secondary going on IR.....so Woodson will likely only look better down the stretch.T-rex arms?? Now we've turned this into a Pugh bashing thread?? J/k, j/k.....lol

repeatchamps
05-16-2013, 02:44 PM
To me that just seems like too many safeties and not enough capable cbs.....not saying I am right...just saying To me it doesn't make sense

With Thomas, Woodson and Rolle all capable of playing CB and Hill capable of playing some nickel/dime CB, I think they'd be fine but that's just my 2 cents.;)