PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Curry thinks he can be impact linebacker

pacco_diablo
05-16-2013, 04:13 PM
"New York Giants LB Aaron Curry thinks he can be an impact linebacker on the team's defense. "I really believe I have the ability to be an impact linebacker on this defense," Curry said. "I feel like I can affect each play that I'm in the game. I'm looking forward to just putting it all out there and emptying my tank every day at practice and taking it to the game just to have fun and win some football games."

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-giants/f/1e8bdf7f-b049-4631-a486-9a2f9b15342d/?source=twitter&repost=5

I've got to admit. I'm digging the attitude and quote, especially the emptying of the tank everyday at practice.

J. Tuck Rule
05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Let's hope.

ironfox
05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
It would be nice.

jomo
05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm sure he thought that when he was the 4th pick in the draft. Until we see production Aaron, everything else is just blah, blah, blah.

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
"New York Giants LB Aaron Curry thinks he can be an impact linebacker on the team's defense. "I really believe I have the ability to be an impact linebacker on this defense," Curry said. "I feel like I can affect each play that I'm in the game. I'm looking forward to just putting it all out there and emptying my tank every day at practice and taking it to the game just to have fun and win some football games."

http://sulia.com/channel/new-york-giants/f/1e8bdf7f-b049-4631-a486-9a2f9b15342d/?source=twitter&repost=5

I've got to admit. I'm digging the attitude and quote, especially the emptying of the tank everyday at practice.

I'm pulling for the guy....seems like a decent dude.

He's coming to a team with an awesome chemistry, from ownership on down.....and he's not going to be expected to be the savior of the franchise. Could be a really great rebound story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0HpfWdPe_Y

Dubee
05-16-2013, 04:36 PM
What's the God nonsense? Shut up and play the game.

pacco_diablo
05-16-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm pulling for the guy....seems like a decent dude.

He's coming to a team with an awesome chemistry, from ownership on down.....and he's not going to be expected to be the savior of the franchise. Could be a really great rebound story.

Could definitely be a great rebound story. Something in my gut tells me that he is going to play well past expectations, granted the expectations are pretty low right now.

EnragedYouth85
05-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Motivation is the gasoline to the fire in which I hope he gets throughout the season!

TCHOF
05-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Seems a little harsh . . . .

Broadway Blue
05-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Great to hear that he is confident and motivated

BlueBlitzer
05-16-2013, 07:36 PM
What's the God nonsense? Shut up and play the game. It's only nonsense, because you're clueless.

ShakeandBake
05-16-2013, 07:44 PM
We need someone to step up, eventually some of the **** Reese throws at the wall will stick.

Dubee
05-16-2013, 07:44 PM
It's only nonsense, because you're clueless.

Clueless about what?

joemorrisforprez
05-16-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking Curry might have a role as a one-way run stuffing MLB. Sounds like the book on him is that he gets abused in coverage.

Carter.525
05-16-2013, 07:56 PM
that would be a pleasent surprise.. I'm pulling for him!

Captain Chaos
05-16-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm pulling for the guy but I'm afraid he's got Lavar Arrington's disease written all over him. Maybe he can stick.

MattyD21
05-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Clueless about what?
clueless about other peoples religions and faith . if you havent found it in your life dont judge someone who has

Giantslb66
05-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Hoping that we can get ANYONE to help our LBs. Good luck AC!!!!!!!

Dubee
05-16-2013, 09:31 PM
clueless about other peoples religions and faith . if you havent found it in your life dont judge someone who has

Why not?

qroze
05-17-2013, 04:31 AM
^ troll

myles2424
05-17-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm confident I can make a impact at LB, now get to work & show us your not a bust!

PierrePaul
05-17-2013, 07:08 AM
This situation is great for Aaron Curry. If he makes the team, it's a personal success. The Giant defense is not set up for the middle linebacker to be the man. All he has to do is do his job. The line in front should do theirs as well. Expectations are at an all time low. So no pressure, just go out there and do your job well. I am optimistic that he will help the Giants this year, especially in run defense.

Dubee
05-17-2013, 08:08 AM
In the video, he's saying that he didn't play well because people expected him to play well, and wanted those expectations to disappear. He then goes on to invoke a higher power in the hope that all of his problems will be solved. Guy sounds like he has issues, that's all I'm saying.

demoskratos
05-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Why not?

Don't you know? God cares more about his football career than starving and diseased children.

nycsportzfan
05-17-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm sure he thought that when he was the 4th pick in the draft. Until we see production Aaron, everything else is just blah, blah, blah. agreed.

devilsadvocate
05-17-2013, 11:05 AM
pfft. I've heard this all before. Talk is cheap. Hell titus Young talked a good game and look where he is. Don't get yourself too worked up over this guy. I don't expect much.

timmytimm3
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Don't you know? God cares more about his football career than starving and diseased children.

yup

Mr. G-Man
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
if he and keith rivers turn out to what they were suppose to be coming out of college, we'll have two linebackers drafted in the top10, beasting it on the field. carl banks and harry carson 2.0

BigJ
05-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Its like we are replacing all of the Keith Rivers threads from last year and putting the name Aron Curry on them... Well see what happens. At least we have a REAL Sam LBer for once and not a Dend

flashnando
05-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Its a new team, a new start so I hope he does great for us! I'm glad he is thinking that way because otherwise I wouldn't want him on the team.

Giant303
05-17-2013, 12:48 PM
The guy is going into a new job and he's optimistic about the opportunity there's not wrong with that. He answered the questions he was asked what the heck is he suppose to say. Maybe he's actually healthy and is able to do some nice things for us. Seattle and Oakland aren't exactly A-class teams

B&RWarrior
05-17-2013, 01:33 PM
if he and keith rivers turn out to what they were suppose to be coming out of college, we'll have two linebackers drafted in the top10, beasting it on the field. carl banks and harry carson 2.0

Pump Yo' Breaks!!!!!

B&RWarrior
05-17-2013, 01:34 PM
The guy is going into a new job and he's optimistic about the opportunity there's not wrong with that. He answered the questions he was asked what the heck is he suppose to say. Maybe he's actually healthy and is able to do some nice things for us. Seattle and Oakland aren't exactly A-class teams

We heard the same out of Bullock. I doubt this guy makes it out of camp.

BlueSanta
05-17-2013, 01:57 PM

In which case we are no worse for wear.

It is a body to compete. It never hurts

B&RWarrior
05-17-2013, 02:02 PM
In which case we are no worse for wear.

It is a body to compete. It never hurts

Exactly. I don't think he'll do much, but it's a risk free gamble.

joemorrisforprez
05-17-2013, 02:19 PM
In the video, he's saying that he didn't play well because people expected him to play well, and wanted those expectations to disappear. He then goes on to invoke a higher power in the hope that all of his problems will be solved. Guy sounds like he has issues, that's all I'm saying.

In his defense, I think the video has a faith-based theme to it.....I think there are other interviews with people that talk about their faith.

My original purpose in posting it was to provide a little extra information on the guy.

Had I known it would lead to religious talk here, I wouldn't have posted it here.

Let's try to keep our own religious views out of this, or else the thread is going to get nuked.

Giant303
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM

and if he doesn't its a vet minimum deal with no future ramifications. A lot of the people slamming this guy are begging for a 1st rd LB.

joemorrisforprez
05-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Bullock was a producer who's body was shot.

Curry is a guy who hasn't really produced at the level expected, but is much younger.

FishinTheSalt
05-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Bullock was a producer who's body was shot.

Curry is a guy who hasn't really produced at the level expected, but is much younger.

How dare you be optimistic, joking. I agree, nothing wromg with giving this guy a shot. A change of venue in a new system may be all he needs. If not we are no worse. I like the fact that we seem to be bringing in more bodies to compete. Don't really understand the negativity about this signing.

joemorrisforprez
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
How dare you be optimistic, joking. I agree, nothing wromg with giving this guy a shot. A change of venue in a new system may be all he needs. If not we are no worse. I like the fact that we seem to be bringing in more bodies to compete. Don't really understand the negativity about this signing.

I agree. Hoping for the best, but with realistic expectations.

If Aaron Curry had played at the level Reese hopes he can play at.....he'd still be a Seahawk. So, I'm running on pure optimism at this point.

However, looking at his college and pro tape, it's pretty clear that he's much more comfortable as a downhill tackler, not as a drop back coverage guy. I think he could be highly effective in short yardage situations.

GameTime
05-17-2013, 02:52 PM
you know.........why not be optomistic at least a little bit. Time will tell.....

giantsfan420
05-17-2013, 05:40 PM
so funny how categorically incorrect these curry "experts" are. he never was even this bust he's made out to be. he was drafted to a terrible Seattle D, he had like 50 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 6 pass defenses as a rookie. His 2nd year, he had 73 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FF, 4 pass defenses (iirc, mighta been 5 or may have been less) and like 5 tfl...the next year, he got hurt. then he butted heads with Carrol.
I can understand it if hes saying it was tough to live up to the expectations in Seattle and it became a mental thing, bc Seattle fans are very passionate and their team sucked balls and they took an OLB with the 4th pick overall lol...he never was gonna be the player who would live up to a 4th overall bc OLBs should never be 4th overall unless they're stand up pass rushers, which he isn't really, although he def. can generate pressure off the edge.

I was interested in trading for him when he hit the block, as was JR. But, the price was wayyyy too high. He patiently waited, and now can get that same player for pennies on the dollar. There should be ZERO criticism for this signing.

We don't have a LB as athletic as Curry on the roster, including JWill. (Could be subject to how his knees are but he passed his physical soo...) And, he actually has instincts. If he can stay healthy, would not surprise me at all if he turns out a break out type year...

he was never this Sintim/Gholston type bust. He's actually produced. Just not to the unreasonable expectations.

giantsfan420
05-17-2013, 05:43 PM
and, while he isnt Urlacher in coverage, he prob will be as good in coverage as a lb as we got. theres literally no risk here, and the reward could end up being monumental. Same thing applies for Rivers.

If both these two guys can turn it up, my goodness, we could prob run 4-2-5 sets with both them as the LB's and be absolutely fine vs the run n pass.

ALLnygIN
05-17-2013, 05:46 PM
so funny how categorically incorrect these curry "experts" are. he never was even this bust he's made out to be. he was drafted to a terrible Seattle D, he had like 50 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 6 pass defenses as a rookie. His 2nd year, he had 73 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FF, 4 pass defenses (iirc, mighta been 5 or may have been less) and like 5 tfl...the next year, he got hurt. then he butted heads with Carrol.
I can understand it if hes saying it was tough to live up to the expectations in Seattle and it became a mental thing, bc Seattle fans are very passionate and their team sucked balls and they took an OLB with the 4th pick overall lol...he never was gonna be the player who would live up to a 4th overall bc OLBs should never be 4th overall unless they're stand up pass rushers, which he isn't really, although he def. can generate pressure off the edge.

I was interested in trading for him when he hit the block, as was JR. But, the price was wayyyy too high. He patiently waited, and now can get that same player for pennies on the dollar. There should be ZERO criticism for this signing.

We don't have a LB as athletic as Curry on the roster, including JWill. (Could be subject to how his knees are but he passed his physical soo...) And, he actually has instincts. If he can stay healthy, would not surprise me at all if he turns out a break out type year...

he was never this Sintim/Gholston type bust. He's actually produced. Just not to the unreasonable expectations.

This. Everyone put ridiculous expectations on the kid. He's actually put up average/decent numbers when he's on the field. Far from a bust, but still hasn't lived up to the 4th overall pick either. He's not exactly a bust like some people on here seem to think, hes actually an upgrade at what we have now and if he stays healthy I think we got ourselves a steal. Now don't get me wrong I don't expect him to be a ray lewis or even what he was hyped up to be in the first place, but I know this guy can contribute.

giantsfan420
05-17-2013, 08:18 PM
This. Everyone put ridiculous expectations on the kid. He's actually put up average/decent numbers when he's on the field. Far from a bust, but still hasn't lived up to the 4th overall pick either. He's not exactly a bust like some people on here seem to think, hes actually an upgrade at what we have now and if he stays healthy I think we got ourselves a steal. Now don't get me wrong I don't expect him to be a ray lewis or even what he was hyped up to be in the first place, but I know this guy can contribute.actually, the way his career has played out has been the only way we'd get him and prob even sign for what he did...had he been a 4th rd pick instead of 4th overall, he'd prob be a high priced FA as is lol...agree with ur post completely.

B&RWarrior
05-17-2013, 08:37 PM
This. Everyone put ridiculous expectations on the kid. He's actually put up average/decent numbers when he's on the field. Far from a bust, but still hasn't lived up to the 4th overall pick either. He's not exactly a bust like some people on here seem to think, hes actually an upgrade at what we have now and if he stays healthy I think we got ourselves a steal. Now don't get me wrong I don't expect him to be a ray lewis or even what he was hyped up to be in the first place, but I know this guy can contribute.

Definitely a bust. Nobody jumps up to pick a LB at the 4 spot for 50-60 tackles a game and a couple of sacks. JWill will smoke those numbers if he plays a full season. The jury is out on this cat. I won't call him an upgrade until I see him play. If he's replacing Boley than he will need to step his game up big time.

giantsfan420
05-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Definitely a bust. Nobody jumps up to pick a LB at the 4 spot for 50-60 tackles a game and a couple of sacks. JWill will smoke those numbers if he plays a full season. The jury is out on this cat. I won't call him an upgrade until I see him play. If he's replacing Boley than he will need to step his game up big time.the defense rests.

joemorrisforprez
05-17-2013, 10:17 PM
and, while he isnt Urlacher in coverage, he prob will be as good in coverage as a lb as we got. theres literally no risk here, and the reward could end up being monumental. Same thing applies for Rivers.

If both these two guys can turn it up, my goodness, we could prob run 4-2-5 sets with both them as the LB's and be absolutely fine vs the run n pass.

I agree with all your other comments, but in terms of coverage, he looks a little shakey.

moosedrool
05-17-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm glad he found peace in his life with his faith. But, if his knees aren't healthy, it won't matter.

B&RWarrior
05-18-2013, 12:04 AM

For where he was drafted, yes he was a bust. He got $36 million guaranteed out of his rookie contract. You don't hand over that kind of dough for 73 tackles (60 tackles and 13 assists). At the 4th spot in the draft players are expected to become stars. This guy has been average at best.

I still like the move because it poses no downside, IMO.

NYG4lifeNYK
05-18-2013, 02:11 AM

Lol, way to make your ignorance shine through...

djdigitalnyc
05-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Guy was a beast in college. He was young and immature in Seattle and Oakland is where football players go to die. He sounds like someone who as learned from his mistakes and matured. The weight concerns me. If you are so dedicated, why are you overweight? The coming months will tell us a lot, but I have a feeling we have a stud linebacker.

giantyankee1976
05-18-2013, 11:26 AM
crosses fingers, hope for his health to hold up, I don't want a Boley part 2....good stuff though

GameTime
05-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Everyone needs something to fall back on. Whether its religion, family, music, freinds, etc. If it makes you a better person then its the right thing to do..

Good Arron......kick some *** and be happy about it...

GameTime
05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
sounds to me like he had issues and maybe religion can help him cope with them......
He looks to religion for strength to help himself. He is not looking for religion to solve his problems....big dif...

egyptian420
05-18-2013, 01:15 PM
For those attacking his faith....grow up.

As for Curry, I'm hoping the best but I won't hold my breath. So far he HAS been a bust I don't see how some argue he hasn't been. If he was a 2nd round pick or something I wouldn't call him that, but it is what it is. Him and Rivers were both first round busts imo.

I am rooting for them both to turn around their careers but I won't be in shock if they don't.

Hooligans
05-18-2013, 01:50 PM
This guy is a bust, and has been cut by two different teams......he's a waste of time.

giantsfan420
05-18-2013, 01:50 PM
This guy is a bust, and has been cut by two different teams......he's a waste of time.i dont think hes been cut once lmfao. traded, then a FA

giantsfan420
05-18-2013, 01:55 PM
For those attacking his faith....grow up.

As for Curry, I'm hoping the best but I won't hold my breath. So far he HAS been a bust I don't see how some argue he hasn't been. If he was a 2nd round pick or something I wouldn't call him that, but it is what it is. Him and Rivers were both first round busts imo.

I am rooting for them both to turn around their careers but I won't be in shock if they don't.if he has 73 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 FF, 5 TFL, and 6 Pass defenses, would u consider that a bust? he's an OLB. thats what ppl arent realizing bc they see 4th overall and expect LT. he shoulda NEVER been a 4th overall, not bc of any deficiency, bc positional value. I'd say that were he to give us that year, which he did his 2nd in Seattle, we'd all act like it was the 2nd coming with what our LB play has been...he isnt an edge rushing OLB, dunno how he went 4th. he is never gonna have stats to justify that selection...bc hes an OLB lol...

no way is he a bust, imo. his first 2 yrs he showed he could play. and had flashes of impressiveness....just couldnt impact a game the way ppl expected a 4th overall would. I am beyond stoked we got him, esp for the price we did. gonna be a revelation for us. same with rivers imho. provided health issues dnt arise for either.

GameTime
05-18-2013, 02:45 PM
This guy is a bust, and has been cut by two different teams......he's a waste of time.
and you're a **** head......so what

egyptian420
05-18-2013, 03:02 PM
just couldnt impact a game the way ppl expected a 4th overall would.That is my definition of a bust.

If, for example, Jamarcus Russel was picked in the 6th round, he would never have been called a bust or even been known. People would've just seen him as a 6th rounder who landed a starting job for a while and it didn't work out.

Same thing with Curry, if he was picked later no one would make a big deal out of it, it was Seattle picking him up in the first that made him a bust. Also all the hype around him being the "safest pick" and people were already embracing this guy to come in and be a future HOFer.

GameTime
05-18-2013, 03:11 PM
That is my definition of a bust.

If, for example, Jamarcus Russel was picked in the 6th round, he would never have been called a bust or even been known. People would've just seen him as a 6th rounder who landed a starting job for a while and it didn't work out.

Same thing with Curry, if he was picked later no one would make a big deal out of it, it was Seattle picking him up in the first that made him a bust. Also all the hype around him being the "safest pick" and people were already embracing this guy to come in and be a future HOFer.
not a bust yet....he isnt done trying.

egyptian420
05-18-2013, 03:19 PM
not a bust yet....he isnt done trying.I sure hope so. I'm just being consistent with my opinion of him that I had before he got here. I'm not going to change it because he's a Giant.

I am however rooting for him big time, if he could get back that mojo he had in college, that would be a great comeback story and we good definitely use a solid LB.

giantsfan420
05-18-2013, 03:19 PM
u missed my point. how is he a bust when he actually put up solid numbers considering he is an OLB, and that he was 2 yrs in (when he produced the stats i cited)?
J.Russell was a bust bc compared to his counterparts, he was terrible. Curry compared to 90% of the OLB in the NFL, specially of the 4-3 variety, was pretty standard.
the reason he didnt live up to the 4th has nothing to do with him really, instead, bc he's an OLB who isnt a pass rusher. there doesnt exist the situation for him to warrant a 4th overall, and u could say that about pretty much every 4-3 OLB in the NFL now minus maybe a small handful. Seattles FO mucked that up, and i suspect its what curry is referring to when he discusses the pressure he felt in seattle that plagued him...how would it not when he can never overcome it bc of positional value and not bc of any internal defect...

giantsfan420
05-18-2013, 03:20 PM
I sure hope so. I'm just being consistent with my opinion of him that I had before he got here. I'm not going to change it because he's a Giant.

I am however rooting for him big time, if he could get back that mojo he had in college, that would be a great comeback story and we good definitely use a solid LB.i havent changed my opinion either. i've been interested in him as a player going back before he went on the block.

GameTime
05-18-2013, 03:28 PM
I sure hope so. I'm just being consistent with my opinion of him that I had before he got here. I'm not going to change it because he's a Giant.

I am however rooting for him big time, if he could get back that mojo he had in college, that would be a great comeback story and we good definitely use a solid LB.

I never had an opinion of him any way so its a clean slate for me.....:)

FishinTheSalt
05-18-2013, 03:29 PM
I'd say nows the time to prove he's not a bust. No more excuses of Raiders/seahawks stink etc. I'd say this is his chance to suceed if he learns the system and has the work ethic to excel. He has the coaching and players around him now. No excuses. No harm in giving him a chance either.

gmen0820
05-18-2013, 03:37 PM
how is he a bust when he actually put up solid numbers considering he is an OLB, and that he was 2 yrs in (when he produced the stats i cited)Being tied for 115th in tackles during your best statistical year is not that impressive.

Not to mention that as far as Non-passrushing OLBers are concerned, he was 20th in tackles. Some notable players ahead of him were Boley, Rivers, and Jon Goff (ILB, though).

So compared to his counterparts, Curry was nothing special either. The only thing he has going for him is a change of scenery, and a low-risk tag. I liked him coming out of college, so to get him under a mil is something I regard as a win.

egyptian420
05-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Being tied for 115th in tackles during your best statistical year is not that impressive.

Not to mention that as far as Non-passrushing OLBers are concerned, he was 20th in tackles. Some notable players ahead of him were Boley, Rivers, and Jon Goff (ILB, though).

So compared to his counterparts, Curry was nothing special either. The only thing he has going for him is a change of scenery, and a low-risk tag. I liked him coming out of college, so to get him under a mil is something I regard as a win.this

DarkSaint
05-18-2013, 08:29 PM
I felt that rivers with a change of scenery and health would finally justify his draft position. He had problems staying on the field and when he was, he was below average at best. So I have my doubts about curry too. I've learned to lower my expectations at this position. I am taking a wait and see approach, been disappointed way too many times.

appodictic
05-18-2013, 10:17 PM
The sad truth is even playing at bad oakland levels is about on par with our normal linebacking level. Except for chase's sb run and boleys 3 ints in three weeks the LB's have been garbage.

Moecoastie77
05-19-2013, 01:08 AM
I felt that rivers with a change of scenery and health would finally justify his draft position. He had problems staying on the field and when he was, he was below average at best. So I have my doubts about curry too. I've learned to lower my expectations at this position. I am taking a wait and see approach, been disappointed way too many times.

I disagree with your opinion about Rivers while he was on the field. I thought he did above average. Im actually excited to see what Rivers can do next season.

B&RWarrior
05-19-2013, 01:19 AM
I disagree with your opinion about Rivers while he was on the field. I thought he did above average. Im actually excited to see what Rivers can do next season.

He was defensive rookie of the year, and I liked what I saw last year when he was healthy, definitely not below average.

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 01:38 AM
He was defensive rookie of the yearNo he wasn't, he got put out by Hines Ward. He received one vote for DRoY, and everyone was like "wtf?"

B&RWarrior
05-19-2013, 01:45 AM
No he wasn't, he got put out by Hines Ward. He received one vote for DRoY, and everyone was like "wtf?"

You're right.

giantsfan420
05-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Being tied for 115th in tackles during your best statistical year is not that impressive.

So compared to his counterparts, Curry was nothing special either. The only thing he has going for him is a change of scenery, and a low-risk tag. I liked him coming out of college, so to get him under a mil is something I regard as a win.agree to disagree. if one of our drafted lbs had his first 2 yrs exactly the same as Curry's first 2 yrs, bust would be the furthest claim made about the player. i dont really fault Curry as much as Seattle for the failed 4th overall expectations.

if curry were to have a yr here like his 2nd yr, he'd instantly be our best LB by far (bc he'd be posting those numbers as an OLB). Boley may have output him that calendar year, but that was like 4 yrs ago when Boley could be argued to have been in his prime. I just dont see how he'd be able to ever amount to the 4th overall pick as a non pass rushing OLB, so I feel the term bust is not justified when he actually got on the field and produced like an NFL OLB esp as a rookie and 2nd yr player on an abysmal seattle team with all those unwarranted expectations.

B&RWarrior
05-19-2013, 02:08 AM
agree to disagree. if one of our drafted lbs had his first 2 yrs exactly the same as Curry's first 2 yrs, bust would be the furthest claim made about the player. i dont really fault Curry as much as Seattle for the failed 4th overall expectations.

if curry were to have a yr here like his 2nd yr, he'd instantly be our best LB by far (bc he'd be posting those numbers as an OLB). Boley may have output him that calendar year, but that was like 4 yrs ago when Boley could be argued to have been in his prime. I just dont see how he'd be able to ever amount to the 4th overall pick as a non pass rushing OLB, so I feel the term bust is not justified when he actually got on the field and produced like an NFL OLB esp as a rookie and 2nd yr player on an abysmal seattle team with all those unwarranted expectations.

Being an average player is not good enough when your drafted at the 4 spot. Whether or not those expectations were reasonable is open for argument but you can't argue that any and every team would expect better production out of any LB drafted at the 4 spot than what Curry produced, no matter how bad their defense was.

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 02:15 AM
agree to disagree. if one of our drafted lbs had his first 2 yrs exactly the same as Curry's first 2 yrs, bust would be the furthest claim made about the player. i dont really fault Curry as much as Seattle for the failed 4th overall expectations.

if curry were to have a yr here like his 2nd yr, he'd instantly be our best LB by far (bc he'd be posting those numbers as an OLB). Boley may have output him that calendar year, but that was like 4 yrs ago when Boley could be argued to have been in his prime. I just dont see how he'd be able to ever amount to the 4th overall pick as a non pass rushing OLB, so I feel the term bust is not justified when he actually got on the field and produced like an NFL OLB esp as a rookie and 2nd yr player on an abysmal seattle team with all those unwarranted expectations.Well, I wouldn't call the expectations "unwarranted," per se. The reason Curry is seen as a bust is because he didn't produce, plain and simple. For being the fourth overall pick, if you're tied for 155th, and 115th in tackles your first and second year -- respectively -- you're just not producing. That's not taking into account that he wasn't a head-scratcher pick at 4 like you're making it seem; he was a consensus safe pick, and deemed versatile enough to play all LBer positions (Martin Mayhew claimed he could come in and be the staring MIKE 'backer "from day one"). Had he been a 140+ tackle guy, he wouldn't have been traded, and consequently cut. If they did a 2007 re-draft, knowing what we know now, Willis would be top 5, and no one would bat an eye.

As for Boley's 2010 year, it was actually his worst year on a game-to-tackle basis. So although he might have been in his "prime," he had a better Giants year in 2009, 2011, and tackle-wise, last year.

If Curry has the same kind of production he had his second year, which to say he can duplicate his best year is a major IF, then he'd still be hovering right around 100th in tackles, which is pretty crappy. I agree with you that this signing is low risk, and if he can somehow untap some of that Wake Forest potential, then it'd be a sweet value signing for us -- but until then, I can't see how this is any more assuring than signing Dan Connor was.

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 02:26 AM
Put in a different perspective, Jacquain Williams' rookie year was more productive than Curry's best year. Curry had 2.5 more sacks, but in every other category, Williams was more productive (as a WLB, nonetheless).

giantsfan420
05-19-2013, 03:58 AM
huh? JWill didnt have the tackles, sacks, or FF's iirc but i admit i havent viewed them side by side. And JWills best season would be 2011 no? I wouldnt say that was better than Curry's 2nd year at all. JWill missed time didnt he? and while he had impacted several games, he was also invisible in several others, and not even used several games. Plus, our D was bad most that year but we were still getting sacks. My pt being our D, even tho ranked near the bottom of the league, was still better from a talent perspective than seattles D Currys first 2 yrs there and its not even close...also, ur hanging a lot on the whole ranking for tackles was 100th or whatever it was...I dont look at it like that esp for an OLB with 73 tackles. I see that as job done, and on our team, job well done to be honest.

i think its just a matter of personal opinion based on the whole "4th overall selection" and how we view that topic bc we pretty much agree about Curry as a player. I by no means am trying to make him to be this all star. im just saying, he's actually produced. he wasnt like Sintim or actual busts. he actually had solid first 2 yrs when considering everything, not just him individually.

and, watch some tape of him playing. he does a lot of things well, that'd equate into success on a more talented D. He can generate pressure off the edge and he's got a great first step, pretty sure tackler and cna make plays behind the line. how do i know? bc hes actually done these things.

take away the 4th overall, 1rst rd 2nd rd whatever, just in terms of purely being a player, u consider him a bust? bc if he's a bust, than we have about 80% of the NFL as busts...just bc he wasnt an instant all pro doesnt make him a bust...

giantsfan420
05-19-2013, 04:01 AM
again, put draft selection aside, if he were to produce his 2nd yr stats here next season, u think anyone would call him a bust??? he'd be revered and claimed as the best LB we had in the past 5 yrs lol...thats my point ultimately...he will never be able to live up to the 4th overall selection not bc of any internal flaw but bc of what he plays and is asked to do...

giantsfan420
05-19-2013, 04:02 AM
he's also shown at the least that he can play in the NFL. another thing i dont consider a bust shows. ron dayne showed he didnt belong in the nfl, etc etc. curry displayed to me he belongs so...guess its just matter of interpretation.

Duckdownman
05-19-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm hoping he is right. The puzzling part (for me anyway) is why he hasn't played well this far. Even before his knee issue he looked a bit lost. This isn't the typical athletic freak who busted because he was drafted on potential rather than on field play. Curry was a sound, solid player in college who appeared to understand the game well.
Maybe it was the speed of the game, maybe it was the schemes he played in but sometimes he looked like a deer in headlights out there.
I just can't put a finger on why exactly he has played so poorly this far but I also think this is a great player to take a chance on. The potential is defiantly still there and I hope a chance of scenery will prove that (I don't count his time in Oakland as he was hurt pretty much the whole time)

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 10:10 AM
huh? JWill didnt have the tackles, sacks, or FF's iirc but i admit i havent viewed them side by side. And JWills best season would be 2011 no? I wouldnt say that was better than Curry's 2nd year at all. JWill missed time didnt he? and while he had impacted several games, he was also invisible in several others, and not even used several games. JWill had several more tackles in just his rookie year as a WLB, than Curry had in his best year as a SLB. Curry had zero games his best year when he had more than 6 tackles per game, and his sacks were inflated against the Cardinals who had Derek Anderson playing behind a terrible offensive line.

Plus, our D was bad most that year but we were still getting sacks. My pt being our D, even tho ranked near the bottom of the league, was still better from a talent perspective than seattles D Currys first 2 yrs there and its not even close...also, ur hanging a lot on the whole ranking for tackles was 100th or whatever it was...I dont look at it like that esp for an OLB with 73 tackles. I see that as job done, and on our team, job well done to be honest.Seattle's D wasn't even that bad. Their LBers were beastly with Hawthorne-Tatupu-young Curry, and Clemons/Mebane/Bryant on the DL. Couple that with a young ball-hawking Earl Thomas roaming around in the secondary. Don't think that Curry couldn't succeed because of the talent around him, because it didn't seem to be a problem for the two other starting LBers who both outproduced Curry.

i think its just a matter of personal opinion based on the whole "4th overall selection" and how we view that topic bc we pretty much agree about Curry as a player. I by no means am trying to make him to be this all star. im just saying, he's actually produced. he wasnt like Sintim or actual busts. he actually had solid first 2 yrs when considering everything, not just him individually. Out of context, he did produce. 73 tackles, that's technically production. But put into context relative to league standards, he was mediocre, even for a 43 OLB. Last year, 23 non-passrushing OLBs recorded over 73 tackles. Being picked 4th overall was with the expectation of filling a void at any LBer spot (because he was supposed to be versatile with a great work ethic), and recording 130-150+ tackles a year. That would have earned him his draft spot, and judging by league-wide production, it's possible to reach as a MIKE or SAM LBer.

and, watch some tape of him playing. he does a lot of things well, that'd equate into success on a more talented D. He can generate pressure off the edge and he's got a great first step, pretty sure tackler and cna make plays behind the line. how do i know? bc hes actually done these things.Outside of setting the edge, he does nothing that impressive. His tackling is decent, although Bradshaw ate his lunch a couple times. In the pass rush, he seems to be marginalized by the TE. And most disappointingly, in coverage, he's a wreck. Zero football instincts in that respect, and his low PDEF, and INT numbers reflect that. The lack of instincts is the biggest reason he couldn't play MLB, and they decided to play him so close to LoS as a SLB, and it's surprising because it wasn't an eye-popping flaw at WF, but it screwed him over in the pros.

take away the 4th overall, 1rst rd 2nd rd whatever, just in terms of purely being a player, u consider him a bust? bc if he's a bust, than we have about 80% of the NFL as busts...just bc he wasnt an instant all pro doesnt make him a bust...Well, considering busts are rated on a pick/production ratio, if he went undrafted, I wouldn't consider him a bust, because you don't expect any production from those guys. On the flip side of that, if Curry went undrafted and had 73 tackles (a mediocre amount), and then disappeared for three years, no one would even care that we signed him, or make any discussion of it.

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 10:15 AM
again, put draft selection aside, if he were to produce his 2nd yr stats here next season, u think anyone would call him a bust??? he'd be revered and claimed as the best LB we had in the past 5 yrs lol...thats my point ultimatelyNo he wouldn't, because Boley had better stats better than that in every year he had as a Giant, and people *****ed and moaned about the LBers at will.

And it was flaws that kept him from reaching expectations. He was a soft player in Seattle, outproduced by one, two, or even three of his fellow LBers in every year in Seattle. SLBs are supposed to rack up the tackles in the run game, and be serviceable in the pass game. Curry didn't do that. Like I said, 23 OLBs that don't rush the passer had better stats last year than Curry's best pro season.

giantsfan420
05-19-2013, 02:36 PM
ur confusing some players on that D. Thomas wasnt drafted yet, neither were a few of the other players u mentioned. everything else, agree to disagree. he's produced on the field.
and i've never heard of an OLB getting 100 tackles let alone 130-150 lol. who could live up to that as an OLB. and ultimately, using the draft selection to factor in if a player is a bust or not when he's actually produced is flawed imo in this instance bc I feel Seattle should be to blame as an org. for the failure of that 4th pick, not curry.

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 02:58 PM
ur confusing some players on that D. Thomas wasnt drafted yet, neither were a few of the other players u mentioned. everything else, agree to disagree. he's produced on the field.
and i've never heard of an OLB getting 100 tackles let alone 130-150 lol. who could live up to that as an OLB. and ultimately, using the draft selection to factor in if a player is a bust or not when he's actually produced is flawed imo in this instance bc I feel Seattle should be to blame as an org. for the failure of that 4th pick, not curry.All the players I mentioned were on the 2010 roster, Curry's best year.

And as for OLBs going over 100 tackles, here are the numbers from last year:

-Chad Greenway
-Jerod Mayo
-Lavonte David
-Russell Allen
-Vontaze Burfict
-Wesley Woodyard
-Jo-Lonn Dunbar
-Nick Barnett
-Kevin Burnett
-Phillip Wheeler
-Thomas Davis
-Akeem Ayers

LINK (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=TACKLES&conference=null&season=2012&seasonType=REG)

All of these OLBs went over 100 tackles last year.

I don't get where you see the production. The stats he's put up, which is the only justification, are very mediocre.

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 03:04 PM
and i've never heard of an OLB getting 100 tackles let alone 130-150 lol. who could live up to that as an OLB. and ultimately, using the draft selection to factor in if a player is a bust or not when he's actually produced is flawed imo in this instance bc I feel Seattle should be to blame as an org. for the failure of that 4th pick, not curry.Curry was being considered for first overall that year, he was a can't-miss defensive prospect. He wasn't even really supposed to be an OLB, but his terrible instincts relegated him to the strongside, where he had mediocre production, i.e. never ranking in the top 100 in tackles. He was a complete non factor, but hopefully that can change.

Seattle shouldn't be blamed for drafting the consensus best defensive player in the draft. Elite LBers, which he was supposed to have been, are worthy of top five picks. He just wasn't that good.

GameTime
05-19-2013, 06:05 PM
bust or not it doesnt matter to the NYG. They got him for cheap and he has some big potential still.
At this point in time it make zero difference when he was drafted and what the expectations were. That was Seattle's problem. Not the NYG...

B&RWarrior
05-19-2013, 08:15 PM
We'll get a good LB next year.

gmen0820
05-21-2013, 05:45 PM
We'll get a good LB next year.Yeah, probably not lol.

giantsfan420
05-22-2013, 04:23 AM
see, i dont equate "mediocre" output as a bust. Im not disputing ur assessment of Curry, just disputing that ur assessment means hes a bust. it seems that ur equating his overall selection as the barometer for being a bust, and I just personally dont know how valid that is in this instance, bc again, imo, a bust doesnt even produce "mediocre" results, a bust produces none imo. but thats just my way of viewing it and can agree to disagree. ur opinion is of the majority, i realize that. i just feel he can produce a season that has the term bust as far from our minds as possible.

giantsfan420
05-22-2013, 04:25 AM
for me, a bust shows they cant even play on the nfl level. draft selecting status doesnt really have a metric in that, for me. how could it? they either can produce in the NFL at some level, or they cant. i suppose its fair to incorporate selection status as the barometer for which the player is measured, but thats flawed imo bc then u start getting into completely subjective reasoning that goes beyond whether the guy can play or not...

giantsfan420
05-22-2013, 04:27 AM
say Sanchez plays in the NFL 20 yrs, 12 as a journeyman backup. is he a bust as the 5 overall having a 20 yr career even as a backup?? does his inability to live up to the 5th overall as a franchise qb automatically relegate him a bust no matter what? and sanchez is a tricky example bc i acttually do feel he is a bust (dont see him being in the league much longer) just using him as an extreme example

Captain Chaos
05-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Like it or not he is here and will be working for a roster spot. With TC at the helm this guy will have to produce to make the team and produce even more to earn a starting spot on this D. Doesn't really matter much what he did in the past its what he will do with the opportunity that is in front of him. Worth watching how this plays out ...

fansince69
05-22-2013, 07:46 AM
see, i dont equate "mediocre" output as a bust. Im not disputing ur assessment of Curry, just disputing that ur assessment means hes a bust. it seems that ur equating his overall selection as the barometer for being a bust, and I just personally dont know how valid that is in this instance, bc again, imo, a bust doesnt even produce "mediocre" results, a bust produces none imo. but thats just my way of viewing it and can agree to disagree. ur opinion is of the majority, i realize that. i just feel he can produce a season that has the term bust as far from our minds as possible.Personally...I agree with you to an extent....sometimes the term bust is thrown around way to easily on these boards.....I have literally seen low draft picks called a bust....please tell me how a 4th round pick can be called a bust.....A 1st ..maybe a 2nd could be called a bust...beyond that I do not see it.......getting back to what you say....what do you consider mediocre production?....some might say William Joseph, Ron Dayne and Cedric Jones had Mediocre production...but all 3 are very widely considered busts in the Giant world

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
I know this topic is kind of drained out, but Curry just came out and said he was a self-centered, and unmotivated player in Seattle. I'm actually relieved to hear this, because maybe it means he can produce top 100 tackle numbers, and really get his **** together as a SLB with an improved work ethic.

Buddy333
05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
I know this topic is kind of drained out, but Curry just came out and said he was a self-centered, and unmotivated player in Seattle. I'm actually relieved to hear this, because maybe it means he can produce top 100 tackle numbers, and really get his **** together as a SLB with an improved work ethic.Great opportunity for him to earn a big pay day next year.

giantscolombia
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Atleast he is not injured yet.