PDA

View Full Version : Jason Sehorn Says Giants Should Leave Cooper Taylor At Safety

RoanokeFan
05-19-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/19/jason-sehorn-says-new-york-giants-should-leave-cooper-taylor-at-safety/

Excerpt: "Initially, New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) rookie safety Cooper Taylor said he would like to model his career after Steve Atwater (http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/15/new-york-giants-cooper-taylor-i-want-to-model-my-career-after-steve-atwater/). However, there's another former player that has influenced Taylor's young career, and he goes by the name of Jason Sehorn.

Im definitely kind of an enigma for the position, not a whole lot of guys like me," Taylor recently said, noting that Sehorn was similar. Hopefully that plays to my advantage."

The comparison, and the mere suggestion that he'd like to be as successful as Sehorn was before injuries slowed his career, registered with the retired defensive back.

Its very flattering," said Sehorn (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/rookie_safety_models_himself_after_tyo1czBPNWaaWDr ZQonP0H). You grow up watching people and you kind of become a fan of them. Im big, hes big, you start to see similarities. I think every athlete looks to somebody else as a similarity in body type to say OK, theres a match for me, I can do this.' " Read more...

Captain Chaos
05-19-2013, 10:49 AM
If thats where he fits thats where he should stay; if he becomes a valuable piece as part of the three safety look I can't see why they would want him to bulk up.

RoanokeFan
05-19-2013, 10:52 AM
If thats where he fits thats where he should stay; if he becomes a valuable piece as part of the three safety look I can't see why they would want him to bulk up.

I think the best thing for us is for the coaches to keep openn minds and experiment with players who can be versatile.

B&RWarrior
05-19-2013, 11:44 AM
If he has half of Sehorn's cover skills he will be our safety for years to come. Somehow I doubt he is anything like Sehorn. I'm not saying the kid won't be good, but I think they are two different players.

FishinTheSalt
05-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Just watched a highlight reel of Atwater, he would be a penalty machine today (Not that he couldn't adjust). Just watch all the helmet to helmets including his famous hit on okoye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SEXGAqVus

joemorrisforprez
05-19-2013, 04:33 PM
I think the best thing for us is for the coaches to keep openn minds and experiment with players who can be versatile.

I agree....I want the best players on the field.

RoanokeFan
05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
I agree....I want the best players on the field.

We did it with Deon Grant and now there is a possibility both Moore and Taylor could be hybrids

giantsforce
05-19-2013, 04:49 PM
I think the best thing for us is for the coaches to keep openn minds and experiment with players who can be versatile.Ha ha! That's a very nice oxymoron! Giants coaches and open mind in the same sentence. Just like Giants coaches and adjustments! Yeah , I know they "gave" us 2 SB's. They also gave us twice as many 2nd half collapses. All we have to do is wait and see how it plays out. Now the only constant in this team is the coaching staff.

Eli TO Shockey
05-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Ha ha! That's a very nice oxymoron! Giants coaches and open mind in the same sentence. Just like Giants coaches and adjustments! Yeah , I know they "gave" us 2 SB's. They also gave us twice as many 2nd half collapses. All we have to do is wait and see how it plays out. Now the only constant in this team is the coaching staff.

Yea, you're right. Lets just discredit 2 SUPERBOWLS IN 5 YEARS.

Giants not open minded...really? Maybe too open minded when it comes to defensive players switching positions....

Antrel Rolle ( S, CB)
Kiwi (DE,LB, DT)
Tuck (DE,DT)
JPP (DE, DT)

The list goes on..

SimmsandLT
05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Ha ha! That's a very nice oxymoron! Giants coaches and open mind in the same sentence. Just like Giants coaches and adjustments! Yeah , I know they "gave" us 2 SB's. They also gave us twice as many 2nd half collapses. All we have to do is wait and see how it plays out. Now the only constant in this team is the coaching staff.

2 superbowls and 6 second half collapses in 9 years.... Sign me up for that ALL DAY!!

B&RWarrior
05-19-2013, 07:57 PM
2 superbowls and 6 second half collapses in 9 years.... Sign me up for that ALL DAY!!

The question is are the SB wins representative of a success formula or more representative of situational factors that can't be duplicated.

giantsforce
05-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Yea, you're right. Lets just discredit 2 SUPERBOWLS IN 5 YEARS.

Giants not open minded...really? Maybe too open minded when it comes to defensive players switching positions....

Antrel Rolle ( S, CB)
Kiwi (DE,LB, DT)
Tuck (DE,DT)
JPP (DE, DT)

The list goes on..1. I am not discrediting the 2 SB's. The one's who discredit them are the people who insist that the coaches "gave" us 2 SB's. Like the coaching staff had much to do with the helmet catch and Mario's super catch.
2. Switching positions was done based on necessity and not open mindedness by the coaching staff.
3. Again if I am not mistaken the core coaching staff has been with the Giants for 9 years and not 5. Why do you count only the last 5?

giantsforce
05-19-2013, 08:52 PM
The question is are the SB wins representative of a success formula or more representative of situational factors that can't be duplicated.That is an excellent question. Unfortunately we all know the answer and some do not like admitting it.

jomo
05-19-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't care what Sehorn thinks. He is not a coach and has never been one for us. I do respect his opinion on men's personal grooming products. Otherwise, I'll leave it up to TC and PF.

joemorrisforprez
05-19-2013, 10:36 PM
We did it with Deon Grant and now there is a possibility both Moore and Taylor could be hybrids

Yup. I'm good with that.

jomo
05-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Yup. I'm good with that.+1

TextureDj
05-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Just watched a highlight reel of Atwater, he would be a penalty machine today (Not that he couldn't adjust). Just watch all the helmet to helmets including his famous hit on okoye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SEXGAqVus i dont think the okoyee hit gets called in todays NFL. certainly not as helmet to helmet, safety on a rb? no call. so much of this anti helm to helm sentiment is just fud.

gmen0820
05-19-2013, 11:19 PM
I like Taylor, I just hope he can stay healthy and develop.

Buddy333
05-20-2013, 08:29 AM
How many fan bases wish they could argue about a coaching staff and GM that have given them 2 rings in the last 6 years?

RoanokeFan
05-20-2013, 08:34 AM
How many fan bases wish they could argue about a coaching staff and GM that have given them 2 rings in the last 6 years?

It's really a relatively few, but consistent and insistent, group here who take the extreme position that it's all coaching when things go bad.

RoanokeFan
05-20-2013, 08:37 AM
I like Taylor, I just hope he can stay healthy and develop.

Staying healthy seems to be what we say about so many players these days.

SimmsandLT
05-20-2013, 08:37 AM
The question is are the SB wins representative of a success formula or more representative of situational factors that can't be duplicated.

Does it really matter? 2 Super Bowls in 9 years in the free Agency era is pretty damn good. The problem is some fans want a team to be completely dominant like the teams of the 80's and early 90's. It's not going to happen with all the roster turnover year in and year out through the league. Why don't you just enjoy a team that is competitive and occasionally wins the big game? Unless you think it was all luck?

giantsfam04
05-20-2013, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=B&RWarrior;768563]The question is are the SB wins representative of a success formula or more representative of situational factors that can't be duplicated.[/QUOE

It is a successful formula, this team is in contention every year. As a fan that is what you want, a team that has the ability to contend year in and year out.

giantsfam04
05-20-2013, 09:29 AM
1. I am not discrediting the 2 SB's. The one's who discredit them are the people who insist that the coaches "gave" us 2 SB's. Like the coaching staff had much to do with the helmet catch and Mario's super catch.
2. Switching positions was done based on necessity and not open mindedness by the coaching staff.
3. Again if I am not mistaken the core coaching staff has been with the Giants for 9 years and not 5. Why do you count only the last 5?

If they were not open minded the coaches would not have made the switches in the first place. They would have went with the options available instead of being open minded enough to try guys at different positions.

gmen0820
05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Staying healthy seems to be what we say about so many players these days.It's an odd expectation -- often overlooked -- but it trumps all.

Gimaniac
05-20-2013, 02:29 PM
If we continue to get poor play at CB, next man up. Even if that means playing them out of position.

Put the best players on the field.

joemorrisforprez
05-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Does it really matter? 2 Super Bowls in 9 years in the free Agency era is pretty damn good. The problem is some fans want a team to be completely dominant like the teams of the 80's and early 90's. It's not going to happen with all the roster turnover year in and year out through the league. Why don't you just enjoy a team that is competitive and occasionally wins the big game? Unless you think it was all luck?

I realize that this might be the exception that proves the rule, but look at the Patriots. If not for Coughlin, they'd have 5 tropies in the Belichick era, and every year it seems like they are in the conversation to win it all.

I think the Giants could absolutely be a dynasty in the free agency era - Reese, Marc Ross, Tom Coughlin, and Eli Manning give them the chance.

giantsfam04
05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I realize that this might be the exception that proves the rule, but look at the Patriots. If not for Coughlin, they'd have 5 tropies in the Belichick era, and every year it seems like they are in the conversation to win it all.

I think the Giants could absolutely be a dynasty in the free agency era - Reese, Marc Ross, Tom Coughlin, and Eli Manning give them the chance.

The Patriots also play in the worst division in football, the afc east is a joke. So every year they are going to be the hands down favorite to get into the post season.

joemorrisforprez
05-20-2013, 05:01 PM
The Patriots also play in the worst division in football, the afc east is a joke. So every year they are going to be the hands down favorite to get into the post season.

Still though, the Patriots buzz saw alot of teams besides the AFC East.

It's a tribute to Belichick and Coughlin, really.