PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Offensive Line Building Toward The Future

RoanokeFan
05-20-2013, 04:50 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/20/4346778/giants-offensive-line-will-beatty-justin-pugh-eric-herman-james-brewer-brandon-mosley

Excerpt: "When it comes to discussing the state of the New York Giants one of the constant refrains the past few seasons has been that the Giants desperately needed to infuse an aging offensive line with young talent.

Well, with the drafting of play everywhere Justin Pugh in the first round and mauling offensive guard Eric Herman in the seventh round of the 2013 NFL Draft look at what the Giants have accomplished.

There is suddenly a stable of young players who can be looked at to fill holes on the line -- those like right tackle that exist now, and those that may exist due to free agency, salary cap issues and age a year or two from now.Beginning in 2009 the Giants have followed the George Young philosophy of collecting offensive linemen by selecting at least one in every draft.

In 2009, Will Beatty was a second-round pick, the 60th player selected overall. He is now among the league's best left tackles and a 28-year-old fixture on the line.

In 2010, the Giants drafted guard Mitch Petrus in the fifth round (147th overall). That didn't work out, but at least the Giants did not neglect to at least try and add some depth." Read more...

ryan12
05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
everything starts up front

Sovereign
05-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Yes. However we've been blessed with Eli Manning as our QB which has drastically reduced the importance of the line.

ALLnygIN
05-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Yes. However we've been blessed with Eli Manning as our QB which has drastically reduced the importance of the line.

Eli has been excellent at making the oline look better than what it really is. If the oline gets better just imagine how dangerous eli could be!

Captain Chaos
05-21-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm very interested in seeing how these young guys look this year. There will be a new right tackle for sure and it will be interesting to see if one of the young guys can push for time at right guard. I think the G'men's patient approach to building this line will pay off.

brad
05-21-2013, 07:28 AM

Am I the only one that thinks this is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard?

TAILGATIN'
05-21-2013, 08:48 AM
True, but doesnt it scare you to see E getting knocked around so much? Im not ready to see Nassib in there yet. Protect our starter.

RoanokeFan
05-21-2013, 08:52 AM
True, but doesnt it scare you to see E getting knocked around so much? Im not ready to see Nassib in there yet. Protect our starter.

I believe he was the least sacked QB in 2012.

Carter.525
05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
I can see Pugh and Herman on this line for a long time.. I think Herman was a steal in the 7th..

gumby74
05-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Am I the only one that thinks this is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard?

Look at the statement. Look at the joined date. 2013/2012. The statement is ridiculous, but it doesn't surprise me. That being said, it all starts up front.

ryan12
05-21-2013, 09:47 AM
I can see Pugh and Herman on this line for a long time.. I think Herman was a steal in the 7th..

agreed herman was a steal big nasty guy. excited for pugh i hope he starts at rt this year

TAILGATIN'
05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
I believe he was the least sacked QB in 2012.
I didnt mention sacks at all in my post. My point was, and Id hope you would agree, that Eli has tacken some pretty bad shots the last few seasons and it still amazes me that he gets back up and into the game after some of them. He's also escaped a lot on his own. I really dont think our line has done its job recently, especially last season, probably why they are focused on fixing it now. His sack totals are amazing, but dont say much about his decision making where he has the 5th or 6th most interceptions in the whole league I think. As far as pressure and throwaways, he is just about in the middle of the qb's in the league, a stat that could improve with a better line.

EliDaMANning
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
I believe he was the least sacked QB in 2012.Which means squat when you have a QB with excellent pocket presense. Both Mannings are usually the least sacked QB in the league every year because of it, Rodgers on the other hand has terrible pocket awareness which leads to plenty of sacks.

njersey
05-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Look at the statement. Look at the joined date. 2013/2012. The statement is ridiculous, but it doesn't surprise me. That being said, it all starts up front.

What on Earth does the "joined date" have to do with anything?????

TAILGATIN'
05-21-2013, 11:44 AM
What on Earth does the "joined date" have to do with anything?????
Agreed.. Gumbys got the dumbest statement on the thread. Congrats.