PDA

View Full Version : Pass Rusher Profile: Jason Pierre-Paul

TheEnigma
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Where this season Aldon Smith was the player to gain kudos for his sack total and garner widespread defensive player of the year consideration, just a year ago it was Jason Pierre-Paul. There are plenty of parallels between the two players and their respective seasons. Both emerged from college as “unpolished” physical specimens who could be molded into elite defensive players. Both players have shown with their early career performance that a good football player (as opposed to a raw athlete) was closer to the surface than some might have thought, putting in stellar performances almost from the outset of their respective careers.

However, because his sack numbers dropped away starkly this season Pierre-Paul was perceived to have had a significantly inferior 2012 compared to his breakout 2011 season. We’ve spoken at length before about how overrated sacks are as a number to rate a pass rusher, so I won’t bore you with that again. But on this occasion, the over-reliance on one stat hides the real and fascinating story concerning Jason Pierre-Paul (that of a player defined by one season’s sack count and then criticized for not matching it the next season). In reality the focus should be on the rest of his game, which goes into the construction of a player outside of the mold of your typical “elite” 4-3 defensive end.

Read more... (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/21/pass-rusher-profile-jason-pierre-paul/)

giantsfan420
05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
awesome thanx bud

giantsfan420
05-21-2013, 12:27 PM
and that was something i said repeatedly, something was wrong with JPP and his upfield, outside pass rush. he either wasn't going to it enough or he didn't trust it bc i noticed that he would work the pass rush back inside wayyyy too often, he wasnt catching OL off guard.. maybe that has something to do with playing the run, something the author didnt correlate. when u rush upfield too much, teams scheme delayed runs into the hole that the particular upfield pass rush creates ala osi...

giantsfan420
05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
and this article exemplifies why they want to move him to strongside, where tech the theory is RTs aren't as agile and able to get there footwork to consistently ward off a legit outside upfield pass rush, ala that RT this last draft from Bama, name escapes me atm.

Mercury
05-21-2013, 12:37 PM
It was a good read, however it completely neglected the amount he was double-teamed during 2011 vs. 2012. A significant change in the way he was defended really shouldn't be completely ignored.

TheEnigma
05-21-2013, 12:45 PM
and that was something i said repeatedly, something was wrong with JPP and his upfield, outside pass rush. he either wasn't going to it enough or he didn't trust it bc i noticed that he would work the pass rush back inside wayyyy too often, he wasnt catching OL off guard.. maybe that has something to do with playing the run, something the author didnt correlate. when u rush upfield too much, teams scheme delayed runs into the hole that the particular upfield pass rush creates ala osi...

He did play with more weight in 2012 if I recall. Wasn't there an article not too long ago where Coughlin mentioned he is concerned with JPP's conditioning, mainly his weight? There could have been less explosiveness from his first step to really make a threatening presence in regards to the outside rush. He (JPP) probably knew this and its possible that's why he relied on the inside too often. The question I have is if he can lose the weight and still be that elite edge defender we know him to be.

TheEnigma
05-21-2013, 12:46 PM
and this article exemplifies why they want to move him to strongside, where tech the theory is RTs aren't as agile and able to get there footwork to consistently ward off a legit outside upfield pass rush, ala that RT this last draft from Bama, name escapes me atm.

D.J. Fluker

egyptian420
05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Being double teamed is not an excuse, all the great pass rushers (Allen, Ware...etc) constantly get doubled and chipped and still manage to get to the QB. This is one area he needs to get better in. He also had a ton of missed tackles, he was amongst those with the highest amount.

As for the positive, he was the best run stopping 4-3 DE last year, which is impressive.

I think JPP is an outstanding player with freakish athleticism and he will continue to get better. I'll give his sack numbers the benefit of the doubt last year since our other DEs and DTs couldn't generate any push. After our addressing of the Dline this season I expect him to have a better season next year.

PBTimmons
05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
It was a good read, however it completely neglected the amount he was double-teamed during 2011 vs. 2012. A significant change in the way he was defended really shouldn't be completely ignored.

Absolutely. Opposing teams were paying big attention to Pierre Paul with RB's and TE's. Nobody else picked up the slack on the DLine, and that includes the highly regarded Linval.

giantsfan420
05-21-2013, 12:55 PM
He did play with more weight in 2012 if I recall. Wasn't there an article not too long ago where Coughlin mentioned he is concerned with JPP's conditioning, mainly his weight? There could have been less explosiveness from his first step to really make a threatening presence in regards to the outside rush. He (JPP) probably knew this and its possible that's why he relied on the inside too often. The question I have is if he can lose the weight and still be that elite edge defender we know him to be.i think he can be. and ur point about his first step or lack thereof is well taken. perhaps it was the weight. im confident that whatever it was, it will be fixed. perhaps thats the reason for the strongside move. i hpe we arent tryin to turn him itno tuck too much. i love how he plays the run but sometimes i do wish he had more osi type play as well.

bigjeep
05-21-2013, 05:01 PM
'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ In the 2011 season, fans all over saw the emergence of Jason Pierre-Paul as not only the best defensive end on the New York Giants, but in all of football.

His 16.5 sacks, seven pass deflections and two forced fumbles showed the entire league why Jerry Reese was willing to take him as a first-round pick back in 2010 when the team already had premier pass rushers. JPP's play on defense was just one of the many reasons that helped propel the Giants on their magical playoff run and won Super Bowl XLVI back in February of 2012.

In 2012, JPP

http://www.giants101.com/

gmen0820
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Well then it must be a foregone conclusion.

ny06
05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Who ever coined the phrase "elite" should be shot on sight....

Morehead State
05-21-2013, 05:05 PM
'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ In the 2011 season, fans all over saw the emergence of Jason Pierre-Paul as not only the best defensive end on the New York Giants, but in all of football.

His 16.5 sacks, seven pass deflections and two forced fumbles showed the entire league why Jerry Reese was willing to take him as a first-round pick back in 2010 when the team already had premier pass rushers. JPP's play on defense was just one of the many reasons that helped propel the Giants on their magical playoff run and won Super Bowl XLVI back in February of 2012.

In 2012, JPP

http://www.giants101.com/
Look at JPP's career. His biggest moments were when he has been at RDE, when Osi was hurt. When he gets relegated to LDE, he is far less effective.
I expect that to change this season. I expect that he will have a monster year in 2013 if for no other reason that he will have position stability.

4thand1
05-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Not a single sack in the 2011 playoffs

JPP propelled the Giants playoff run..... how?

TheEnigma
05-21-2013, 05:12 PM
From the article

However, because his sack numbers dropped away starkly this season Pierre-Paul was perceived to have had a significantly inferior 2012 compared to his breakout 2011 season. We’ve spoken at length before about how overrated sacks are as a number to rate a pass rusher, so I won’t bore you with that again. But on this occasion, the over-reliance on one stat hides the real and fascinating story concerning Jason Pierre-Paul (that of a player defined by one season’s sack count and then criticized for not matching it the next season). In reality the focus should be on the rest of his game, which goes into the construction of a player outside of the mold of your typical “elite” 4-3 defensive end.

If you’re looking for an elite pass rusher, without a step forwards in outside pressure, you’ll be disappointed that Jason Pierre-Paul isn’t quite what you thought he was in 2011. However, if you look at the full package there is no reason to believe you won’t be consistently happy with what JPP brings to the table.

Morehead State
05-21-2013, 05:21 PM
From the article

If you’re looking for an elite pass rusher, without a step forwards in outside pressure, you’ll be disappointed that Jason Pierre-Paul isn’t quite what you thought he was in 2011. However, if you look at the full package there is no reason to believe you won’t be consistently happy with what JPP brings to the table.

He's the best player on our defense.

bigjeep
05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
How about Elite posters on this board?

TheEnigma
05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
He's the best player on our defense.

Prince might have something to say about that this upcoming season depending on how he does against 1s but you're right at this time. Outside of those two and perhaps Joseph, the rest of the youth on D is a "wait and see" situation.

GameTime
05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
he isnt .....yet....

BigBlueFanNJ
05-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Being double teamed is not an excuse, all the great pass rushers (Allen, Ware...etc) constantly get doubled and chipped and still manage to get to the QB. This is one area he needs to get better in. He also had a ton of missed tackles, he was amongst those with the highest amount.

As for the positive, he was the best run stopping 4-3 DE last year, which is impressive.

I think JPP is an outstanding player with freakish athleticism and he will continue to get better. I'll give his sack numbers the benefit of the doubt last year since our other DEs and DTs couldn't generate any push. After our addressing of the Dline this season I expect him to have a better season next year.

I do not think saying JPP struggled against double teams last season is a knock or an excuse hes still learning, this year i'm hoping he'll improve against double teams now that he's had a year of experience with it and a training camp to work on his techniques i think JPP comes up big this year!!!

joemorrisforprez
05-21-2013, 08:27 PM
How about Elite posters on this board?

Thank you.

bigjeep
05-22-2013, 08:25 AM
I haven't moved so much since my days in the Army!

gumby74
05-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I didn't expect a repeat of his previous year, but I was unimpressed with him last year. I hope he steps it up because if Tuck struggles again, our defense is going to be in a lot trouble - again . He needs to activate beast mode.