PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Justin Tuck Sought Guidance From Tony Robbins

RoanokeFan
05-21-2013, 09:05 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/21/new-york-giants-justin-tuck-sought-guidance-from-tony-robbins-this-offseason/

Excerpt: "Plain and simply, New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants defensive end Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/) must improve upon his dismal four sack performance in 2012 if he wants to remain on the roster in 2013. As a player who turned 30 years old this offseason, Tuck has shown considerable signs of wear over the last two years and will enter the final season of his contract in 2013 with considerable pressure to increase his production. Tuck is a veteran who knows the business side of the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) as well as anyone, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to remain a key contributor to the Giants defensive line for the foreseeable future.

In fact, he even traveled to Los Angeles to seek advice from life coach Tony Robbins on how to break out of his mental funk and return to playing at an All-Pro level. At first, Tuck was skeptical of the idea, but a close friend urged him to make the trek out west and learn from Robbins, who has experience with several other prominent athletes, including Mike Tyson, Wayne Gretsky, Andre Agassi, Serena Williams and the 2011 NBA (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nba/) champion Dallas (http://www.giants101.com/tag/dallas/) Mavericks. Robbins said that Tuck stuck out in the crowd like a sore thumb, and it didn't take long to diagnose the two-time Super Bowl (http://www.giants101.com/tag/super-bowl/) champion's problem.

"My expertise is the human psyche, which is the very thing that [fans] were complaining about with him," Robbins said. "Being beat up by the very people that he wants to please was definitely a conflict for Justin. It is like, 'I can't win.' That [becomes the] mentality. This happens to many athletes, especially athletes that are beloved or have achieved a high level of success." Read more...

gmen0820
05-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Haha Tony Robbins is the man.

RoanokeFan
05-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Haha Tony Robbins is the man.

I've been as critical of Tuck as anyone but I give him credit for trying to get his head on straight. I felt it was more mental than physical because of his fear of another neck injury.

brad
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
I've been as critical of Tuck as anyone but I give him credit for trying to get his head on straight. I felt it was more mental than physical because of his fear of another neck injury.

I agree, and can't say that I blame him... I hope he gets his head, and heart, back into the game this year!

RoanokeFan
05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
I agree, and can't say that I blame him... I hope he gets his head, and heart, back into the game this year!

Comeback player of the season?

joemorrisforprez
05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
I credit Tony Robbins with increasing both the quantity and quality of my posts.

brad
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM

We can always hope, right?

RoanokeFan
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
I credit Tony Robbins with increasing both the quantity and quality of my posts.

Name dropper

J. Tuck Rule
05-21-2013, 10:00 PM
He's also been working out to Tony Little DVD's so, we should totally have the old Justin Tuck back this season.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp.

Roosevelt
05-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I wish him the best as I believe he's a good guy with a good heart.

RoanokeFan
05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
We can always hope, right? Absolutely

Flip Empty
05-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Should bring in Billy Blanks to teach them all some Tae Bo

TheBookOfEli
05-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Tuck is critical to our success. I hope he returns to old form.

Eli TO Shockey
05-21-2013, 10:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9296417/new-york-giants-defensive-end-justin-tuck-turned-motivational-speaker-tony-robbins-help

jomo
05-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Ugh, he sought guidance from the snake oil salesman. Is there nowhere lower for JT to sink, perhaps Dr. Phil?
I loved this guy for so long and still consider him a great Giant but he is a lost soul if he needs to seek out the likes of that guy.
It confirms that he is deparately trying to convince HIMSELF that he still can compete. I don't begrudge him that but I don't like him dragging the fans into the endless stream of consciousness these past 10 weeks. Most of us just care about production and couldn't care less about blah, blah, blah. Talk is cheap, play the games.

gmen0820
05-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Ugh, he sought guidance from the snake oil salesman. Is there nowhere lower for JT to sink, perhaps Dr. Phil?
I loved this guy for so long and still consider him a great Giant but he is a lost soul if he needs to seek out the likes of that guy.
It confirms that he is deparately trying to convince HIMSELF that he still can compete. I don't begrudge him that but I don't like him dragging the fans into the endless stream of consciousness these past 10 weeks. Most of us just care about production and couldn't care less about blah, blah, blah. Talk is cheap, play the games.What's with the Robbins hate?

ShakeandBake
05-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Should bring in Billy Blanks to teach them all some Tae Bo
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24299762.jpg

P_Simms_#11
05-22-2013, 12:38 AM

We can hope. But he can't get DPOY. That belongs to Osi.

ShakeandBake
05-22-2013, 12:40 AM

Of course he will get DPOY, if breaking Strahan's sack record doesn't get you DPOY what will?

P_Simms_#11
05-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Of course he will get DPOY, if breaking Strahan's sack record doesn't get you DPOY what will?

He will need this guy if he wants to break Strahan's record.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/travis_bickle/ChFa-MattFoley.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/travis_bickle/media/ChFa-MattFoley.jpg.html)

B&RWarrior
05-22-2013, 01:59 AM
It confirms that he is deparately trying to convince HIMSELF that he still can compete. I don't begrudge him that but I don't like him dragging the fans into the endless stream of consciousness these past 10 weeks. Most of us just care about production and couldn't care less about blah, blah, blah. Talk is cheap, play the games.

"The games" are lost if you can't win the game within your head.

Cool Papa B.
05-22-2013, 02:29 AM

LOL LOL LOL.....

giantsfan420
05-22-2013, 03:00 AM
as in all things that make up life, success is often mental. and robbins point just in RFs quick little excerpt from the article is spot on. didnt really think about it that way, how he was pretty much in a no win situation...oh wait, unless he actually won. but still, whatever helps tuck get confident bc that ultimately will aide any comeback.

giantsfan420
05-22-2013, 03:01 AM
It confirms that he is deparately trying to convince HIMSELF that he still can compete. I don't begrudge him that but I don't like him dragging the fans into the endless stream of consciousness these past 10 weeks. Most of us just care about production and couldn't care less about blah, blah, blah. Talk is cheap, play the games.valid point. it wasnt really a no win situation...all tuck had to do was help us win, something he fell short of too often.

P_Simms_#11
05-22-2013, 03:11 AM
I wonder if Tony Robbins helped him with his nightmares about RGIII.

BlueSanta
05-22-2013, 04:26 AM

Now I am seriously concerned for Tuck

Thiergow
05-22-2013, 09:24 AM
I am exepecting more than words and seminars from Tuck.

Talk is cheap, seminars too, just play the game

Buddy333
05-22-2013, 10:12 AM
What's with the Robbins hate?No. What's the Tuck hate?

Buddy333
05-22-2013, 10:20 AM
So lets see. If he answers questions which he is supposed to do he is talking to much. If he tries to reach out to a rookie he is talking to much. He should take his own advice according to some meaning they think he is not working hard. Now people will pile on because he is trying to do whatever it takes to get better. Sound like a really bad guy right? Lol. This guy is an all time great Giant.

Thiergow
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
So lets see. If he answers questions which he is supposed to do he is talking to much. If he tries to reach out to a rookie he is talking to much. He should take his own advice according to some meaning they think he is not working hard. Now people will pile on because he is trying to do whatever it takes to get better. Sound like a really bad guy right? Lol. This guy is an all time great Giant.
The problem with Tuck is that lately he's been talking a lot but producing so little

Buddy333
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
The problem with Tuck is that lately he's been talking a lot but producing so littleLike what? He has said he has been playing poorly and that he was going to put extra work in this offseason. How is that a problem?

Thiergow
05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
He's also been making excuses (not saying that his excuses are bull**** but at some point it's too much) and talking about retirement. His was clearly not in the game this past 2 yards. Hopefully it changes this year but like I said Tuck's been talking more than he's been playing.

Toadofsteel
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Fear of an injury is very real, almost instinctive, when you're talking about re-injuring something major. When I was in high school, I was mounting a 45 pound weight onto a squat machine when it slipped out of my sweaty hands and landed on my right foot. I was lucky that the foot wasn't entirely crushed. Ever since then, my foot will instinctively move out of the way if it thinks there is something about to fall on it.

Like what? He has said he has been playing poorly and that he was going to put extra work in this offseason. How is that a problem?

This is why I reserve judgement until the season starts. If all this work amounts to nothing, then yeah he should retire. Otherwise i'm willing to keep an open mind.

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Hard for me to see that competition in the making lol

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Fear of an injury is very real, almost instinctive, when you're talking about re-injuring something major. When I was in high school, I was mounting a 45 pound weight onto a squat machine when it slipped out of my sweaty hands and landed on my right foot. I was lucky that the foot wasn't entirely crushed. Ever since then, my foot will instinctively move out of the way if it thinks there is something about to fall on it.

This is why I reserve judgement until the season starts. If all this work amounts to nothing, then yeah he should retire. Otherwise i'm willing to keep an open mind.

I certainly understand the fear of having another in jury having had cervical disc surgery myself. But if his performance is going to suffer because of that fear, he needs to consider retiring.

Toadofsteel
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I certainly understand the fear of having another in jury having had cervical disc surgery myself. But if his performance is going to suffer because of that fear, he needs to consider retiring.

That's exactly what I said at the end there... I'm willing to give him this season. I think JR will force the situation anyway once Tuck's contract expires...

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 12:58 PM
That's exactly what I said at the end there... I'm willing to give him this season. I think JR will force the situation anyway once Tuck's contract expires...

How many seasons do "we" give him? Last season showed how it weighed on him.

gmen0820
05-22-2013, 02:03 PM
No. What's the Tuck hate?He's been a mediocre player two years in a row.

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
He's been a mediocre player two years in a row.

He had a pretty good stretch in the playoffs.

Buddy333
05-22-2013, 02:47 PM
He's been a mediocre player two years in a row.True, and he may not be much better this year. People keep saying he talks to much. Just don't understand what this means. Has he made excuses? Don't know, but he did say he "sucks" at one point. Is that an excuse? He talks when asked a question. He has to do that. He sent a letter to a rookie that said he better get ready to work hard and many on this board said he needed to stop talking and take his own advice. Lol. What is with all the hate? He played a huge role in their last two Super Bowl wins.

giantsforce
05-22-2013, 03:39 PM
It confirms that he is deparately trying to convince HIMSELF that he still can compete. I don't begrudge him that but I don't like him dragging the fans into the endless stream of consciousness these past 10 weeks. Most of us just care about production and couldn't care less about blah, blah, blah. Talk is cheap, play the games.+1

jomo
05-23-2013, 12:14 AM
"The games" are lost if you can't win the game within your head.Seems as though he's in a fierce battle right now and losing.

JJC7301
05-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Jiminy Cricket, we should have kept Osi instead. I'm so done with Tuck. Love the guy, but I'm done.

appodictic
05-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Comeback player of the season? him and osi can fight for mvp