PDA

View Full Version : Nicks Ready To Be A Leader

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 05:00 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2013/05/nicks-ready-to-be-a-leader

Excerpt: "There will be something different in the Giants' wide receiver meetings this season, and Hakeem Nicks knows it. The wideout has seen it already, in the Giants' handful of workouts.

Younger wideouts come up to him and ask him questions about "their routes, stuff about the offense, and stuff like that," he says. And then they hang on his words. "A lot more guys come up to me for questions," Nicks said at a United Way event in Manhattan Tuesday. "I've always been willing to take the role of leader."

Nicks is still just 25, but he'll enter his fifth year with the Giants. And this season, that will make in the team's longest-tenured wideout. Veteran Domenik Hixon is gone, and star Victor Cruz is currently not around as he and the Giants continue to hammer out a long-term extension.

So Nicks is embracing the role of leader. "In the wide receiving room, I've been around the longest," he said. "I've just got to take it stride for stride."Nicks has enjoyed doing that, in part because he's finally fully healthy, he said. He said he hasn't had any problems with the knee that vexed him throughout last season, and that he's feeling "as good as I've felt in awhile." And he added that while he can't wait to see Cruz return to team workouts, he understands why his teammate isn't here.

"He's got to take care of his business," Nicks said, "so we understand that." Read more...

Rat_bastich
05-22-2013, 05:42 AM
He has the experience and the success to get the attention of the guys that need to be led and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Go for it man.

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 05:45 AM
We should have a very good passing game this season

Flip Empty
05-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Hard to believe he's still only 25, it feels like he's been around forever.

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Hard to believe he's still only 25, it feels like he's been around forever.

I was thinking that as well. Two young receivers poised to be the best tandem in the NFL to usher Eli through the next several years.

penguinfarmer
05-22-2013, 06:10 AM
I'd say it looks pretty bright when your most seasoned receiver is only 25. [Cruz and Murphy are 26]. That is, when we get all of them signed. Hopefully, we see a healthy and dominant year from Nicks.

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 06:25 AM
I'd say it looks pretty bright when your most seasoned receiver is only 25. [Cruz and Murphy are 26]. That is, when we get all of them signed. Hopefully, we see a healthy and dominant year from Nicks.

The contracts will get done. If Nicks can stay healthy, and he seems to be on that track, the possibilities are endless.

SimmsandLT
05-22-2013, 06:31 AM
The contracts will get done. If Nicks can stay healthy, and he seems to be on that track, the possibilities are endless.

That's the big thing, his health. I'm hoping for 16 games out of him. With an unhealthy Nicks we were a good offense. With a healthy one, we should be dangerous!

J. Tuck Rule
05-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Man, has it really been 5 years already!?

BlueBlitzer
05-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Hakeem has taken the role of Leader of the Wideouts. He says players are asking His advice on everything from running routes to preparation. Hey Nicks is only 25 years old.

gumby74
05-22-2013, 08:26 AM

If Nicks can stay healthy, the contract he will command is endless. And well, that topic has been beaten to death.

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 08:29 AM
If Nicks can stay healthy, the contract he will command is endless. And well, that topic has been beaten to death.

Every player is entitled to get the best deal he can. Nicks will be able to thank Cruz for giving him a leg up.

Rudyy
05-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Nicks is a great Giant.

TheAnalyst
05-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Man, has it really been 5 years already!? 4 actually... this will be his 5th year. 09-10-11-12-13

gumby74
05-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Every player is entitled to get the best deal he can. Nicks will be able to thank Cruz for giving him a leg up.

Absolutely. Although, it's going to suck for us.

ryan12
05-22-2013, 10:43 AM
nicks is the man my fav player. besides eli ofcourse

giantscolombia
05-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Do you think he is going to demand a huge contract, considering he is kind of oft injured?
*knock on wood* hoping that he has a injury free season.

flashnando
05-22-2013, 11:47 AM
That's the big thing, his health. I'm hoping for 16 games out of him. With an unhealthy Nicks we were a good offense. With a healthy one, we should be dangerous!

He will be healthy this year for sure............it's his contract year :)

gumby74
05-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Do you think he is going to demand a huge contract, considering he is kind of oft injured?
*knock on wood* hoping that he has a injury free season. If Cruz us going to get say, 7-8 million as a slot what makes you think Nicks is going to get any less as the outside guy - even if he has some injury issues? Assuming we extend JPP, that's 40+ million invested in 4 guys. Not acceptable.

Joe Morrison
05-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Nice Post LOL

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 07:41 AM
If Cruz us going to get say, 7-8 million as a slot what makes you think Nicks is going to get any less as the outside guy - even if he has some injury issues? Assuming we extend JPP, that's 40+ million invested in 4 guys. Not acceptable.

Not acceptable to who? Fans?

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 07:48 AM

I'm not sure I agree with that. Nicks, like Cruz, Eli, and everyone else, is entitled to ask for whatever they want. The asking figure has nothing to do with what is going to happen with the contract. Nicks does have the durability issue that is going to dog him until e plays a full season, there is no way around that. So, to me, for Nicks to be rattling his sabre at this point in time, coming off another injury (2) season might be unwise IF that's what he's doing.

For Nicks to get his desired payday, he has to put in a full season with Nicks-like numbers to be able to reasonably make the pitch for top dog money.

As an aside, does this have any impact on Nicks as a leader? Absolutely not. It had absolutely no effect on Michael Strahan's ability to be a leader.

Buddy333
05-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Not acceptable to who? Fans?It's a fair point to make. At $40 million they are spending about 25% of their cap on just 4 guys. Don't know the break down of other teams but it sounds like a lo for just 4 guys.

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
It's a fair point to make. At $40 million they are spending about 25% of their cap on just 4 guys. Don't know the break down of other teams but it sounds like a lo for just 4 guys.

It is a fair point but we are guessing at numbers that aren't even in play. Eli's CAP hit is around $20M for the next few years, Cruz will likely be around $8M. The rest is going to be determined over this season and it's impossible to know with any certainty who will have a break out year that COULD diminish a veteran's position in terms of his worth TO THIS TEAM.

Buddy333
05-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Sure, you never know what will happen. What if Nicks does have a good year and JPP has another solid season? Then lets say Cruz does sign for $7 million a year. They will actually have the money next year to pay $10 million to Nicks and resign JPP. Do they really want o lock almost 25% of their cap in 4 players though.

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Sure, you never know what will happen. What if Nicks does have a good year and JPP has another solid season? Then lets say Cruz does sign for $7 million a year. They will actually have the money next year to pay $10 million to Nicks and resign JPP. Do they really want o lock almost 25% of their cap in 4 players though.

I don't know, but I think if you look at what Slip has been saying for months about the CAP after 2013 we should be able to keep those four IF that's what they want to do. One of the biggest blessings to come out of the CBA is the draft salary structure.

Kruunch
05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
So much for being a leader. :rolleyes:

BlueBlitzer
05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Because so much emphasis has been placed on Cruz, I often wondered why Nick's name seemed to be under the radar. ( As far as priorities ) My biggest fear is what happened to the Steelers with Wallace.

rebelfan1966
05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm confused, on one thread it says he did not show up for OTAs and is unhappy with his contract..... and on this thread he is a leader that will be mentoring our young WRs ????

gumby74
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't know, but I think if you look at what Slip has been saying for months about the CAP after 2013 we should be able to keep those four IF that's what they want to do. One of the biggest blessings to come out of the CBS is the draft salary structure.

Of course we can keep those 4 if we wanted. What about the rest of the players on the team? Are we just going to hope we draft well at every position? It's not sustainable.

And of course no one knows the exact figures. All this is conjecture. Without conjecture, there would be no message board.

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Of course we can keep those 4 if we wanted. What about the rest of the players on the team? Are we just going to hope we draft well at every position? It's not sustainable.

And of course no one knows the exact figures. All this is conjecture. Without conjecture, there would be no message board.

Let's suppose Nicks misses 3 - 4 games (FOR ARGUMENT'S SAKE ONLY) and Cruz is again the most productive receiver. How much will they be willing to pay Njcks under a new contract? Same question for JPP not being back to form. My point is there are too many variables for us to guess what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone in 2014.

At the present time, Nicks really has no leverage, just as Osi didn't in his last year of his contract. We know how that all worked out.

gumby74
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Let's suppose Nicks misses 3 - 4 games (FOR ARGUMENT'S SAKE ONLY) and Cruz is again the most productive receiver. How much will they be willing to pay Njcks under a new contract? Same question for JPP not being back to form. My point is there are too many variables for us to guess what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone in 2014.

At the present time, Nicks really has no leverage, just as Osi didn't in his last year of his contract. We know how that all worked out.

For sure we'll have both WRs with us this season. Both Nicks and Cruz have no leverage.

If Cruz is our most productive receiver again and our passing game excels without Nicks (let's say for arguments sake Randle steps up), then Nicks is expendable regardless of what his stats are.

If Nicks is our most productive WR (and stays healthy) and Cruz has a sub par year, then Cruz is expendable. The same applies if Cruz gets hurt.

If both Nicks and Cruz stay healthy and have good years AND we have Randle or JJ step up with some promise - we should imo resign Nicks and let Cruz walk.

If both Nicks and Cruz stay healhty and have good years but no young WR steps up, uhm .. i don't know. I'd say sign Nicks, let Cruz walk and hope draft someone. But i doubt this happens as Eli has shown he can work with any WR.

Either way, I think it's a bad idea to re-sign both. For me, it's one or the other. There is no re-signing both. There is a reason why practically no teams have splurged and re=signed 2 big time WRs. In a couple years, when the Falcons need to re-sign Julio Jones/White, they WILL let one of them walk if one of them doesn't sign at a discount.

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
For sure we'll have both WRs with us this season. Both Nicks and Cruz have no leverage.

If Cruz is our most productive receiver again and our passing game excels without Nicks (let's say for arguments sake Randle steps up), then Nicks is expendable regardless of what his stats are.

If Nicks is our most productive WR (and stays healthy) and Cruz has a sub par year, then Cruz is expendable. The same applies if Cruz gets hurt.

If both Nicks and Cruz stay healthy and have good years AND we have Randle or JJ step up with some promise - we should imo resign Nicks and let Cruz walk.

If both Nicks and Cruz stay healhty and have good years but no young WR steps up, uhm .. i don't know. I'd say sign Nicks, let Cruz walk and hope draft someone. But i doubt this happens as Eli has shown he can work with any WR.

Either way, I think it's a bad idea to re-sign both. For me, it's one or the other. There is no re-signing both. There is a reason why practically no teams have splurged and re=signed 2 big time WRs. In a couple years, when the Falcons need to re-sign Julio Jones/White, they WILL let one of them walk if one of them doesn't sign at a discount.

You may be right, but right now Cruz is negotiating with the FO. When that's done, we'll know whether it's the tender or long term. I don't think a long term deal precludes them signing Nicks but I do believe Nicks needs to stay healthy for the entire season and play lights out, which he has done before. In any event, they will do what they believe is best and we will hope they're right.

gumby74
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
You may be right, but right now Cruz is negotiating with the FO. When that's done, we'll know whether it's the tender or long term. I don't think a long term deal precludes them signing Nicks but I do believe Nicks needs to stay healthy for the entire season and play lights out, which he has done before. In any event, they will do what they believe is best and we will hope they're right.

Pretty much. We're all playing arm chair GM. It's not in the Giants best interest to re-sign Cruz this year imo. For the money Cruz/Nicks wants, who's to say that we're not better off getting a stud Guard and a solid player along the line as well? I believe that giving Eli more time + added presence in the running game will do a whole lot more good than having the LUXURY of 2 dynamic WRs.

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Pretty much. We're all playing arm chair GM. It's not in the Giants best interest to re-sign Cruz this year imo. For the money Cruz/Nicks wants, who's to say that we're not better off getting a stud Guard and a solid player along the line as well? I believe that giving Eli more time + added presence in the running game will do a whole lot more good than having the LUXURY of 2 dynamic WRs.

And because no one can predict the future, I think they will sign Cruz long term and deal with Nicks during the season or after. But whatever happens, whoever stays, they will make the moves and we will ***** either way.