PDA

View Full Version : Papa on Wilson

TCHOF
05-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Bob Papa was on NFL AM this morning talking about how hard David Wilson has been working in the offseason to improve his game.

Good to hear . I have a feeling that he is going to have a big year this year. It should do wonders for our offense to have a home run threat.

Kruunch
05-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Wilson can do this year as well.

I have high hopes for him (and Brown).

Die-Hard
05-22-2013, 08:51 AM
We may never know, since they throw the ball what seems to be 94% of the time. If KG grows a brain and stops being so predictable(run, run, pass), we may see what Wilson can really do. Right now, I have little faith in the coaching staff.

BlueBlitzer
05-22-2013, 08:53 AM
The running back is one of the few positions that a college kid can come in and make an impact. With TC's Blitz pickups It took Wilson a little longer. With solid coaching and Hynoski's tutilage This kid's ready to tear it up.

J. Tuck Rule
05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
We may never know, since they throw the ball what seems to be 94% of the time. If KG grows a brain and stops being so predictable(run, run, pass), we may see what Wilson can really do. Right now, I have little faith in the coaching staff.

Run, Run, Pass wouldnt exactly be quite 94% passing.

Kruunch
05-22-2013, 08:58 AM

Oh good .... thought I missed out on the new math. :confused:

Carter.525
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Bob Popper..

J. Tuck Rule
05-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Oh good .... thought I missed out on the new math. :confused:

For the sake of his argument, it IS somewhat close.

Dorothy
05-22-2013, 09:25 AM
For the sake of his argument, it IS somewhat close.

For argument sake, in my math class, it was 66% run 33% pass. If first down was not accomplished, then the percent changed to 50% run, 25% pass and 25% punt? Class dismissed.

lamas
05-22-2013, 09:32 AM
For argument sake, in my math class, it was 66% run 33% pass. If first down was not accomplished, then the percent changed to 50% run, 25% pass and 25% punt? Class dismissed.
For argument sake, the 2012 numbers are 58% pass (including times Eli was sacked) and 42% run.

gumby74
05-22-2013, 09:44 AM
All i want is a solid 3 yards every time we run the ball. I'm a fan of A. Brown for this reason. None of this lose 1, gain 2, gain 0, gain 15 nonsense that Bradshaw brought. I have a feeling that Wilson falls into the same mold as Bradshaw. A home run threat is great and all, but a rush of no gain is the same as an incomplete pass. I'll take the 3 yards and work off the 2nd and 7 or 3rd and short.

Hopefully Wilson proves me wrong.

timmytimm3
05-22-2013, 09:52 AM
All i want is a solid 3 yards every time we run the ball. I'm a fan of A. Brown for this reason. None of this lose 1, gain 2, gain 0, gain 15 nonsense that Bradshaw brought. I have a feeling that Wilson falls into the same mold as Bradshaw. A home run threat is great and all, but a rush of no gain is the same as an incomplete pass. I'll take the 3 yards and work off the 2nd and 7 or 3rd and short.

Hopefully Wilson proves me wrong.

Brown and Wilson should compliment each other very well.

Toadofsteel
05-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Brown and Wilson should compliment each other very well.

I've said it many times, Brown/Wilson is the new Jacobs/Bradshaw...

Buddy333
05-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Hope Scott gets some carries this year too. He has to earn them of course, but he is just so fast. Would love to see him break off a long run with the entire defense trailing.

Morehead State
05-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Run, run, pass sounds like 33%.

TheAnalyst
05-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Bob Papa was on NFL AM this morning talking about how hard David Wilson has been working in the offseason to improve his game.

Good to hear . I have a feeling that he is going to have a big year this year. It should do wonders for our offense to have a home run threat.

It will all depend on our Oline.

J. Tuck Rule
05-22-2013, 11:10 AM

But teacher, what if it was 4th down? That would mean that a 1st down was not achieved. However, you stated that there would only be a 25% chance of punt.

66-33 = 99
50+25+25 = 100

Where did the 1% go???

I'm so confused!!!

Die-Hard
05-22-2013, 01:24 PM

It was an obvious exaggeration on my part, or so I thought. It wasn't meant to be mathematically accurate

The Giants throw the ball entirely too much, and many times when a run would make a heck of a lot more sense in certain situations. I can pretty much tell whats coming as soon as they line up, so imagine what opposing defenses can see.

GameTime
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
maybe if they had good run game they woudl run more....

Morehead State
05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
It was an obvious exaggeration on my part, or so I thought. It wasn't meant to be mathematically accurate

The Giants throw the ball entirely too much, and many times when a run would make a heck of a lot more sense in certain situations. I can pretty much tell whats coming as soon as they line up, so imagine what opposing defenses can see.
I agree that we throw it too much but our running game hasn't been very good. Plus the new rules dictate it. But this season we could have a better run game. I don;t think KG is a pass first guy since we used to run the ball a lot more a few years ago.
Time will tell with the Wilson/Brown combo. Brown has shown a great ability in short yardage.

We'll all just have to see.

Die-Hard
05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
maybe if they had good run game they woudl run more....

I doubt it. Look around the league. Its pass happy, with just a couple of exceptions.

The Oline has been in decline, and I understand fully that they weren't the greatest run blockers as a group, but still, the playcalling is horribly one-dimensional, and predictable beyond words. They run when the entire world expects them to run, and to me, that is the biggest reason why the run game is not as successful as it once was.

giantsfan420
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I doubt it. Look around the league. Its pass happy, with just a couple of exceptions.

The Oline has been in decline, and I understand fully that they weren't the greatest run blockers as a group, but still, the playcalling is horribly one-dimensional, and predictable beyond words. They run when the entire world expects them to run, and to me, that is the biggest reason why the run game is not as successful as it once was.so true. as soon as 3rd or 4th and short arises, the heavy formation is sent on, WR's taken off, and we announce we're gonna run it. and for some reason, TC believes that the OL should still be able to beat their man 1v1 even if they know whats coming. thats the only explanation I can think of when analyzing our strategy on 3rd and 4th n short.

Morehead State
05-22-2013, 02:52 PM
so true. as soon as 3rd or 4th and short arises, the heavy formation is sent on, WR's taken off, and we announce we're gonna run it. and for some reason, TC believes that the OL should still be able to beat their man 1v1 even if they know whats coming. thats the only explanation I can think of when analyzing our strategy on 3rd and 4th n short.
You just can't trick the opponent.
A good offense can run it well when they are expecting the run and pass it well when they are expecting the pass.

Maybe ours just isn't that good an offense. (I said....."Maybe")

Die-Hard
05-22-2013, 04:21 PM
You just can't trick the opponent.
A good offense can run it well when they are expecting the run and pass it well when they are expecting the pass.

Maybe ours just isn't that good an offense. (I said....."Maybe")

No, its really not a very good offense, stats be damned. Rankings and stats dont even come close to telling the whole story. It is entirely too conservative and predictable, and there is way too much inconsistency with regard to execution as well.

Morehead State
05-22-2013, 04:25 PM
No, its really not a very good offense, stats be damned. Rankings and stats dont even come close to telling the whole story. It is entirely too conservative and predictable, and there is way too much inconsistency with regard to execution as well.

I think ultimately the offense struggled because the players aren't good enough. Especially the O line.
This year may be different but I do not think we addressed our needs at O line in the off season as we should have.

I guess that's a different argument for a different thread though.

Drez
05-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Run, Run, Pass wouldnt exactly be quite 94% passing.And would highlight Wilson's ability.

Drez
05-22-2013, 04:40 PM

The Oline has been in decline, and I understand fully that they weren't the greatest run blockers as a group, but still, the playcalling is horribly one-dimensional, and predictable beyond words. They run when the entire world expects them to run, and to me, that is the biggest reason why the run game is not as successful as it once was.Or it could be that Bradshaw just wasn't a good runner anymore. He was terribly impatient in letting holes develop and rarely hit the ones that did. He kept bouncing things outside, and with his two busted wheels, he lacked the speed/quickness to make that work anymore.

Morehead State
05-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Or it could be that Bradshaw just wasn't a good runner anymore. He was terribly impatient in letting holes develop and rarely hit the ones that did. He kept bouncing things outside, and with his two busted wheels, he lacked the speed/quickness to make that work anymore.
Bradshaw was very good last year.
Its a cap/youth thing with AB.

TheShouldersOf
05-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Right now, I have little faith in the coaching staff.

More than i have

i hope they give Wilson the ball as much as possible

Cool Papa B.
05-22-2013, 06:37 PM

First things first. has he improved his blocking? Can he block for Eli?

TCHOF
05-22-2013, 06:57 PM
First things first. has he improved his blocking? Can he block for Eli?

According to Papa, that's one of the things that he has been working hard on . . . . his blocking technique and assignments.