PDA

View Full Version : Herzlich starting in the middle with the first team

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
This is a major problem if mark is our starting MLB. I like the guy, but hes no NFL starter. More like a borderline roster spot. We're in trouble. Our LB's are crap.

In Reese We Trust
about an hour ago
1st team LB: Mark Herzlich calling shots in middle of Spencer Paysinger & Keith Rivers - From Art Stapleton

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 12:43 PM
This is a major problem if mark is our starting MLB. I like the guy, but hes no NFL starter. More like a borderline roster spot. We're in trouble. Our LB's are crap.

In Reese We Trust
about an hour ago
1st team LB: Mark Herzlich calling shots in middle of Spencer Paysinger & Keith Rivers - From Art Stapleton

It's just OTA's, not everyone is going to be there and some guys who are there aren't gong to practice as they are coming off injuries.

Kruunch
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM

In Reese We Trust
about an hour ago

While I agree with you based on his NFL history, don't forget that he was one of the best LBers in Boston College history and he's been recovering from chemo.

If he's finally back to 100% (football shape/speed) he might just surprise everyone. At least there is some upside we can delude ourselves with :D

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
It's just OTA's, not everyone is going to be there and some guys who are there aren't gong to practice as they are coming off injuries.

You act like we have some kind of talent behind him. Dan Connor will most likely replace a slow Mark herzlich eventually when he learns the system. Either way...our LB core is the worst in the NFL

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 12:46 PM
While I agree with you based on his NFL history, don't forget that he was one of the best LBers in Boston College history and he's been recovering from chemo.

If he's finally back to 100% (football shape/speed) he might just surprise everyone. At least there is some upside we can delude ourselves with :D

I havent really seen much improvement since his rookie season. His agility and speed hasnt really improved. When asked to play he's been terrible. I'm not very optimistic

ryan12
05-22-2013, 12:47 PM
paysinger over williams?

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 12:49 PM
You act like we have some kind of talent behind him. Dan Connor will most likely replace a slow Mark herzlich eventually when he learns the system. Either way...our LB core is the worst in the NFL

I am acting as though it's OTA's and is not going to matter come training camp. Everyone gets reps unless they are not healthy. Understand, the media is very limited in the time they get to watch practices. A lot can happen that they never see.

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 12:51 PM
I am acting as though it's OTA's and is not going to matter come training camp. Everyone gets reps unless they are not healthy. Understand, the media is very limited in the time they get to watch practices. A lot can happen that they never see.

We dont have a starting caliber MLB on the roster. That's what im saying RO. doesnt matter what happens in OTA's. That really hit when I saw Herz starting withe first team.

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
paysinger over williams?

He wasnt on 2nd team either. Maybe he didnt show up?

2nd team LBs: Curry, Connor + Etienne Sabino

GameTime
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
ehh.....means absolutley squat at this point...

RoanokeFan
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
We dont have a starting caliber MLB on the roster. That's what im saying RO. doesnt matter what happens in OTA's. That really hit when I saw Herz starting withe first team.

Let's wait to see what they have planned for Moore and Taylor in terms of developing into hybrid players. I'd be worried if we were playing Sunday.

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
ehh.....means absolutley squat at this point...

You think Connor is a major improvement over Herz? he isnt. We are very thin at LB. Especially in the middle.

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Let's wait to see what they have planned for Moore and Taylor in terms of developing into hybrid players. I'd be worried if we were playing Sunday.

Neither will be playing in the middle. Call Urlacher to change his mind! lol

GameTime
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
You think Connor is a major improvement over Herz? he isnt. We are very thin at LB. Especially in the middle.
he shoudl be....then again it wouldnt be too hard for it NOT to be an improvement

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 01:28 PM
he shoudl be....then again it wouldnt be too hard for it NOT to be an improvement

So you're telling me your not concerned about our LB situation?

Toadofsteel
05-22-2013, 01:31 PM

I for one am concerned, but no amount of worrying on my part will change that. We just have to trust Reese and Coughlin to make the right decisions. I know we've heard from Sehorn that Taylor should remain a safety, but if TC thinks he would better serve the team playing inside linebacker, line him up there...

Though, given the way some people seem to think athleticism trumps everything when it comes to the MLB spot, if this board were calling the shots, our MLB would be freaking Weatherford...

GameTime
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM

what gave you that idea?? I said it wouldnt be too hard for Conner to be an improvement over Herz. Right there that is saying the MLB position IS a concern. The LB group will be average at best IMO.....not a priority for the Gmen.....

ryan12
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
i think our dominate d line that "should" be back this year will help for the shortcoming's of our lb's. a good dline always make lb's job alot easier and our d line was attricous last year

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
what gave you that idea?? I said it wouldnt be too hard for Conner to be an improvement over Herz. Right there that is saying the MLB position IS a concern. The LB group will be average at best IMO.....not a priority for the Gmen.....

my apologies misread your post.

giantscolombia
05-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Where the H is Connor??!?!

GameTime
05-22-2013, 01:42 PM
my apologies misread your post.
all good.....

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
I for one am concerned, but no amount of worrying on my part will change that. We just have to trust Reese and Coughlin to make the right decisions. I know we've heard from Sehorn that Taylor should remain a safety, but if TC thinks he would better serve the team playing inside linebacker, line him up there...

Though, given the way some people seem to think athleticism trumps everything when it comes to the MLB spot, if this board were calling the shots, our MLB would be freaking Weatherford...

If Taylor is going to move to LB, it's going to take more than 1 season to make that adjustment. Let alone play in the middle which is a much more difficult task than learning to play on the outside. I dont see Taylor playing in the middle

Toadofsteel
05-22-2013, 01:46 PM
If Taylor is going to move to LB, it's going to take more than 1 season to make that adjustment. Let alone play in the middle which is a much more difficult task than learning to play on the outside. I dont see Taylor playing in the middle

I know... I was largely just speaking in half-redfont. What really irks me is that we let Blackburn go so easily... yeah he wasn't anywhere near the best, but he was where he needed to be whenever called upon.

TCHOF
05-22-2013, 01:59 PM

The problem is that he seemed to take a step back rather than a step forward in his second year.

DownWitJPP
05-22-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm actually ok with giving Herz a shot..it's either NOW or Never for him. If it doesn't work than cut ties with him, we can't keep a LB core full of backups.

Paysinger I believe is going to surprise alot of people this year..he has all the tools to be a good linebacker in this league

DownWitJPP
05-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Jacquain Williams apparently sat out practice as a precaution following a PCL injury last season.

Sovereign
05-22-2013, 02:27 PM
I usually hate the omg LBs posts but the OP is dead on here.

TuckandRolle
05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
paysinger over williams?

Williams was help out for precautionary reasons due to them moving his PCL recovery along slowly. Nothing to worry about. He was at OTA's just didn't run/practice.

Eli TO Shockey
05-22-2013, 02:58 PM
I know... I was largely just speaking in half-redfont. What really irks me is that we let Blackburn go so easily... yeah he wasn't anywhere near the best, but he was where he needed to be whenever called upon.

Lack of interest in improving our LB core baffles me.

ELI_HOF_NYG
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Lack of interest in improving our LB core baffles me.

lack of any kind of a pass rush baffles me more.

ironfox
05-22-2013, 06:16 PM
the whole dline is going to have to step up big to cover the problems the rest of the defence has.

ShakeandBake
05-22-2013, 06:20 PM
I know its only the first day of OTAs and many things will change from now until opening day, but I am really worried about our defense. We have to hope that the defensive line really steps it up especially in run defense this year because there isn't much there as far as our LBs go.

JJC7301
05-22-2013, 10:59 PM

Exactly, because Herz is never ever ever never going to amount to much as an NFL starter. Maybe he could develop into a serviceable back-up. I wish him the very best, though.

radar-ray
05-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Exactly, because Herz is never ever ever never going to amount to much as an NFL starter. Maybe he could develop into a serviceable back-up. I wish him the very best, though. This. He sucks (as a LB), but I wish him the best.

slipknottin
05-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Don't we remember last year when Pascoe was listed as the starting TE like all of preseason? Lol

BigJ
05-23-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm actually ok with giving Herz a shot..it's either NOW or Never for him. If it doesn't work than cut ties with him, we can't keep a LB core full of backups.

Paysinger I believe is going to surprise alot of people this year..he has all the tools to be a good linebacker in this league "we can't keep a linebacking core full of backups" haha yes we can that's Alls that we have had for years. All our starters are back most of our guys wouldn't even make other teams in the league.

BigJ
05-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Lack of interest in improving our LB core baffles me. Really??? That baffles you more? JPP having a bad year baffles you more then us having the worst linebacking core in the league for years now and it just when you think it couldn't get worse we let go of Blackburn and Boley and we STILL don't address the position in the draft or off season. we addressed the Dline this off season. There's always one trying to bring the pass rush into the line backer argument. Linebacker is a bigger issue

Captain Chaos
05-23-2013, 02:49 AM
I think it may have more to do with Herz knowing the Defensive calls than being the best MLB out there.

Eli TO Shockey
05-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Really??? That baffles you more? JPP having a bad year baffles you more then us having the worst linebacking core in the league for years now and it just when you think it couldn't get worse we let go of Blackburn and Boley and we STILL don't address the position in the draft or off season. we addressed the Dline this off season. There's always one trying to bring the pass rush into the line backer argument. Linebacker is a bigger issue

Excuse me?