PDA

View Full Version : Blocking TEs Front And Center

BlueBlitzer
05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
With the Hynoseris on the shelf for awhile, we need you guys to really clear away the trash for our RBs.

slipknottin
05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Do the giants have any of those?

IMO, with the loss of hyno and not having any inline TEs, gilbride may get to go back to the real run and shoot. Single back with 4 wide

BlueBlitzer
05-23-2013, 11:47 AM

IMO, with the loss of hyno and not having any inline TEs, gilbride may get to go back to the real run and shoot. Single back with 4 wide

I thought JR said that Adrian Robinson was like 270 LBs and would be a blocking terror, and we do have Bear Pascoe

ryan12
05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
montell owens and ovie mughelli are available

Kruunch
05-23-2013, 11:55 AM

Pascoe?

slipknottin
05-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Pascoe?

Pascoe is pretty terrible though. I think the only reason he keeps sticking around is because the team loses a TE or FB every year and he fills the hole

BlueSanta
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
People keep calling Pascoe a "blocking TE" but he isn't. He is a better lead blocker than he is end line blocker.

2 years ago they played him a lot at the end of the line and he was terrible at blocking and was called for the most holding penalties in the league(per snap played.)

Just because a guy isn't a great receiving threat does not make him a "blocking TE." Pascoe has kept his roster spot because of his ability to be a backup fullback as well as some extraordinary bad luck at the TE positions for guys ahead of him on the roster. Would he still be with this team if any of the following didn't happen?

Ballard and Beckum get injured. Ballard gets cut(yes I know its complicated, but that's what happened) and Beckum remains on IR for a year.

Ben Patrick Retires at 27.

Kevin Boss got offered a ridiculous paycheck by the Raiders.

I like the guy, he works hard. But there is a reason this guy has been cut and resigned so many times in his career. He is just not very good.

Toadofsteel
05-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Regardless, we need him to be a lead blocker now...

BlueSanta
05-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Regardless, we need him to be a lead blocker now...

yes, but 1 of my points is that lead blocking and end line blocking are very different. Pascoe was ok as a lead blocker(not good, just a capable backup) but he has never proven useful as an end line blocker. In fact,last year even in 2 and 3 TE sets they were often keeping him on the sideline in favor of putting locklear at TE.

slipknottin
05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
yes, but 1 of my points is that lead blocking and end line blocking are very different. Pascoe was ok as a lead blocker(not good, just a capable backup) but he has never proven useful as an end line blocker. In fact,last year even in 2 and 3 TE sets they were often keeping him on the sideline in favor of putting locklear at TE.

He wasent that good as a lead blocker either. He got stuffed in the hole a lot and he would stop using his feet

BlueSanta
05-23-2013, 05:52 PM
He wasent that good as a lead blocker either. He got stuffed in the hole a lot and he would stop using his feet

I agree. He was just an ok backup.

in my opinion, if hyno were actually going to miss significant time they would find another lead blocker to add to the roster. Pascoe is a patchwork, nothing more.

jomo
05-23-2013, 06:26 PM
He wasent that good as a lead blocker either. He got stuffed in the hole a lot and he would stop using his feetThat is exactly what I saw last year.