PDA

View Full Version : Three Battting To Be Starting MLB

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/big_blue_trio_fighting_for_middle_1NZkrCJW77v9HQ3s RhtJtI

Excerpt: "Two former high school rivals and a first-round flameout.

No, this isn’t a reality show — it’s the battle for the Giants’ middle linebacker spot, made vacant when Chase Blackburn signed in the offseason with the Panthers.On the first day of organized team activities Wednesday, Mark Herzlich started, over fellow Pennsylvania product Dan Connor, who signed a one-year deal after one year with the Cowboys, and reclamation project Aaron Curry.

It’s a wide-open competition, coach Tom Coughlin said, repeatedly using the word “opportunity” to describe the situation. Of the three, the five-year veteran Connor has the most experience, the 27-year-old Curry the most talent and intrigue, while Herzlich is the most familiar with the Giants’ system.Herzlich, in fact, was in the rotation at the position as a rookie, before suffering a high ankle sprain. The Giants picked up Blackburn when Herzlich went down and won the Super Bowl that year.

“It’s a big opportunity for me to step up, to play like I know I can play, and really lead the defense,” the third-year pro and cancer survivor said. “I knew my opportunity would come at some point and hopefully this year’s that time.

”Herzlich and Connor are now teammates, but they were adversaries several years ago, living 15 minutes from each other in tiny Pennsylvania towns. Herzlich joked Connor, a fullback back then who had 56 tackles for the Cowboys last season, introduced him to varsity football by running him over.

“I went to make a tackle and he put me right on my back,” he said.

Then there is Curry, a major disappointment with the Seahawks after he was taken fourth overall in the 2009 draft and given a six-year, $60 million contract including $34 million guaranteed. He was with the Raiders last year, but was cut in late November after spending all but two weeks of the season on the physically unable to perform list. He had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in December. Curry said he’s healthy now and ready to make an impact, to shed the bust label.

“I just want to run around and hit things that are moving,” he said. “I hope to be able to uplift everything, do what’s asked of me, and do it at full speed.”The 6-foot-2, 255-pound Curry said he wasn’t mature enough to succeed when he first got into the league, preoccupied with himself, “selfish” and “focused on my own desires.”

“Football wasn’t my top priority,” said Curry, who has 5 1/2 sacks and 190 tackles in his disappointing 48-game career." Read more...

Kruunch
05-23-2013, 01:27 PM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5198/littlepigskins3ex6.png

Carter.525
05-23-2013, 01:39 PM

which one is Moe?

Kruunch
05-23-2013, 01:42 PM
The MLB.

Toadofsteel
05-23-2013, 02:21 PM
In honor of our linebackers being a slapstick routine, Sam, Mike, and Will are now Larry, Moe, and Curly, respectively...

TheAnalyst
05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Good God almighty.... We have the worst MLB of the 32 teams in the NFL.

So, theoretically if we drafted Ogletree, Teo, Minter, Bostic, Red****, Nico Johnson, Greene, they would be our starting LB....

This was the only way possible to make our MLB position worse then last year.

TEs are going to have parties in between the hash marks against us.

Cool Papa B.
05-23-2013, 03:11 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/big_blue_trio_fighting_for_middle_1NZkrCJW77v9HQ3s RhtJtI

Excerpt: "Two former high school rivals and a first-round flameout.

No, this isn’t a reality show — it’s the battle for the Giants’ middle linebacker spot, made vacant when Chase Blackburn signed in the offseason with the Panthers.On the first day of organized team activities Wednesday, Mark Herzlich started, over fellow Pennsylvania product Dan Connor, who signed a one-year deal after one year with the Cowboys, and reclamation project Aaron Curry.

It’s a wide-open competition, coach Tom Coughlin said, repeatedly using the word “opportunity” to describe the situation. Of the three, the five-year veteran Connor has the most experience, the 27-year-old Curry the most talent and intrigue, while Herzlich is the most familiar with the Giants’ system.Herzlich, in fact, was in the rotation at the position as a rookie, before suffering a high ankle sprain. The Giants picked up Blackburn when Herzlich went down and won the Super Bowl that year.

“It’s a big opportunity for me to step up, to play like I know I can play, and really lead the defense,” the third-year pro and cancer survivor said. “I knew my opportunity would come at some point and hopefully this year’s that time.

”Herzlich and Connor are now teammates, but they were adversaries several years ago, living 15 minutes from each other in tiny Pennsylvania towns. Herzlich joked Connor, a fullback back then who had 56 tackles for the Cowboys last season, introduced him to varsity football by running him over.

“I went to make a tackle and he put me right on my back,” he said.

Then there is Curry, a major disappointment with the Seahawks after he was taken fourth overall in the 2009 draft and given a six-year, $60 million contract including $34 million guaranteed. He was with the Raiders last year, but was cut in late November after spending all but two weeks of the season on the physically unable to perform list. He had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in December. Curry said he’s healthy now and ready to make an impact, to shed the bust label.

“I just want to run around and hit things that are moving,” he said. “I hope to be able to uplift everything, do what’s asked of me, and do it at full speed.”The 6-foot-2, 255-pound Curry said he wasn’t mature enough to succeed when he first got into the league, preoccupied with himself, “selfish” and “focused on my own desires.”

“Football wasn’t my top priority,” said Curry, who has 5 1/2 sacks and 190 tackles in his disappointing 48-game career." Read more...

Seeing those names for the MLB spot actually made me discouraged. Is Boley still available?

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Seeing those names for the MLB spot actually made me discouraged. Is Boley still available?No, he's being sued for beating children.

timmytimm3
05-23-2013, 03:16 PM
No, he's being sued for beating children.

So he signed with the Eagles?

TheEnigma
05-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Yay for nickel packages

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
So he signed with the Eagles?Yeah, he signed with Philly, a bunch of kids laughed at him, and he beat them.

Kruunch
05-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Yay for nickel packages

Wonder if we could run a 7 DB set.

Wouldn't make our run defense any worse. :rolleyes:

nygpolishpunk
05-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Might as well, the LB position is obsolete anyway, just ask Reese!

jomo
05-23-2013, 05:31 PM
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5198/littlepigskins3ex6.pngThe only one that excites me is Curry and he is the least likely to win the battle.

nygpolishpunk
05-23-2013, 05:35 PM
The only one that excites me is Curry and he is the least likely to win the battle.Curry or Curly? My money is on Curly

jomo
05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Curry or Curly? My money is on CurlyAt least Curly is good for a few yucks.
I am not critical of the Curry deal since it is structured defensively. If he can achieve any of his potential, he will start for us and be cheap. If not (which is the safe bet anyway) no major harm to our cap situation.

Toadofsteel
05-23-2013, 05:55 PM

That's what I do on Madden when I play the Giants. Though I had to create a custom personnel package to make it 4-0-7 (the default is 3-1-7). I run four plays with it: 1) Prevent, 2) A cover-4 shell (that was a ***** to set up by the way), 3) A 2-man under package where two DBs line up in the box to stuff gaps like LB would, and 4) like #3, but the DBs just all-out blitz. Oh, and I named Jernigan DB7...

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 05:59 PM
cant wait for curry to do big things here. i was pretty much the first one on his bandwagon, like a year ago lol. cant believe how things end up working out. got him on the cheap, when he's actually hungry and going to be the player he is supposed to be imo. lol, sucked when he was making 60 mil, and watch, he's gonna have a break out yr making 800,000 or whatever it is lol...

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 06:00 PM

Explains why he was an average to below-average OLB in SEA. Hopefully he's ready to work and make something of himself.

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 06:00 PM
sucked when he was making 60 mil, and watch, he's gonna have a break out yr making 800,000 or whatever it is lol...Lol, +1.

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Lol, +1.how great would it be if he really did suddenly become the player envisioned when drafted...lol talk about value...

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 06:05 PM
how great would it be if he really did suddenly become the player envisioned when drafted...lol talk about value...Then we'd be **** out of luck trying to sign him next year, unfortunately.

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
eh. still would be fine if he had an all pro season (always felt those smiley faces were emasculating, wth) :)

edit - was the word im looking for effeminate or emasculating? both could apply to me right now i'd bet lol

Carter.525
05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Then we'd be **** out of luck trying to sign him next year, unfortunately.

this :eek:

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Man, this makes me like the Curry signing that much more. It's so weird, because it fits exactly what I called my ideal value-FA move description I wrote two weeks ago:

As counterintuitive as it might seem, when it comes to these kinds of low-risk/high-reward moves, the guys that I want are the ones with work-ethic concerns. If you don't have the skills to play in this league, change of scenery isn't gonna do much for you. But if you have character issues, it could salvage your career. Plus, if they start causing problems in the locker room, cut him; it ain't called low-risk for nothing, you know?

If we could get Bennett to put those work-ethic concerns aside last year, Curry can easily do the same.

Makes me wonder if the "instinct issues" that really did him in with Seattle were partly attributed to poor preparation, because they weren't a noticeable problem in college (some even cited them as his strength).

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 06:23 PM
this :eek:Might we have another Kawika Mitchell on our hands?

Wow, oddly enough, Mitchell's 2007 stat line is identical to Curry's best year.

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Man, this makes me like the Curry signing that much more. It's so weird, because it fits exactly what I called my ideal value-FA move description I wrote two weeks ago:

If we could get Bennett to put those work-ethic concerns aside last year, Curry can easily do the same.

Makes me wonder if the "instinct issues" that really did him in with Seattle were partly attributed to poor preparation, because they weren't a noticeable problem in college (some even cited them as his strength).i remember when u made that post n curry certainly fits

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Might we have another Kawika Mitchell on our hands?

Wow, oddly enough, Mitchell's 2007 stat line is identical to Curry's best year.i know its a dead horse, but theres no way anyone would say anything not endearing about Mitchells 2007 and role in helping win the SB

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 06:55 PM
i know its a dead horse, but theres no way anyone would say anything not endearing about Mitchells 2007 and role in helping win the SBYeah, Mitchell made some really timely plays. Seemed to have had an impact in a lot of games, not to mention a fantastic post season.

Really added a jolt to the LBers. I'm hoping Curry can do the same, and hopefully, more.

jomo
05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah, Mitchell made some really timely plays. Seemed to have had an impact in a lot of games, not to mention a fantastic post season.

Really added a jolt to the LBers. I'm hoping Curry can do the same, and hopefully, more.Interestingly he got a very slow start then came on like gangbusters as the season progressed.

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah, Mitchell made some really timely plays. Seemed to have had an impact in a lot of games, not to mention a fantastic post season.

Really added a jolt to the LBers. I'm hoping Curry can do the same, and hopefully, more.that he certainly did. my point was more along the lines that Mitchell had near the same output in 07 as Curry in his best year, and no one would possibly use the term "bust" on Mitchell regarding 07 (and in fact would speak highly of it)...now, I dunno how this latest news correlates with him being or not being a bust (his admission of not having the right mindset and being selfish), but, if what he has produces thus far has been Curry at his worst, than that a) means he isnt a bust bc at his worst he still had NFL level avg output for an OLB and b) his play at his best if he can reach that, is going to be dominant. all this imo...

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 07:43 PM
that he certainly did. my point was more along the lines that Mitchell had near the same output in 07 as Curry in his best year, and no one would possibly use the term "bust" on Mitchell regarding 07 (and in fact would speak highly of it)...now, I dunno how this latest news correlates with him being or not being a bust (his admission of not having the right mindset and being selfish), but, if what he has produces thus far has been Curry at his worst, than that a) means he isnt a bust bc at his worst he still had NFL level avg output for an OLB and b) his play at his best if he can reach that, is going to be dominant. all this imo...Well, the "bust" part of your post goes back to your opinion (which you've stated is likely in the minority) of what a bust is. While I see it as investment/production, so to speak, you view it as more of a do you belong, kind of thing.

What we can both agree on, though, is that Curry was an average, nothing near spectacular, linebacker in Seattle. So by your definition of bust, that nulls him of that title, and by mine, it validates it.

With news of Curry's poor work ethic in Seattle, it gives me a whole new perspective. See, I always operated under the assumption that Curry had a solid work ethic, but for whatever reason (injuries played a part, for one) he just couldn't get it done -- and just to be clear, I don't view his best season as "getting it done" for a top 5 pick, let alone justifying the two year ****-show that ensued. But again, that all goes back to my bust interpretation.

So as opposed to believing that 70 tackles per year was his ceiling, I'd be inclined to agree with your notion that it's his floor, instead. Dominant, maybe, but still a bit of a stretch for me right now.

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 07:50 PM
nicely stated. yeah, let me clarify that I mean IF Curry WERE to reach his best level of play...theres absolutely no reason to believe that even happens, I'm just imagining. Bc I view the mental part similarly in terms of ur new belief. I never really thought it was that Curry just sucked, but that circumstances were affecting him

BlueBlitzer
05-23-2013, 08:09 PM
6th Rd picks do not get 60 mill. 34 mill guaranteed anymore. Curry was too young to handle all that temptation and selfishness with all those millions. My point with Him is Curry thought He arrived, but had no clue about the toughness in the NFL. Being from Wake Forest He had a serious case of " Big Fish in a small pond ".

Rivers on the other hand gets Smacked in the Chops and had His Jaw broken by a WR. ( That would mess up any LBers head ) and had multiple injuries. ( None were career threatening ) So the Bengals were happy to get a 5th Rd pick for the 5th overall pick in a prior draft.

As far as williams He should be fine . As for me I'll be happy to eat crow if these castaways ( No Herzlich is not Gilligan ) pan out.

NorwoodBlue
05-23-2013, 08:10 PM
If Curry returns to "average" form, we've already improved at MLB over last year. There was no where to go but up.

fansince69
05-23-2013, 08:22 PM
If Curry returns to "average" form, we've already improved at MLB over last year. There was no where to go but up.agreed

Bing Crosby
05-23-2013, 08:57 PM

It's been so long now I can't remember.... is a pie to the face a five or ten yard penalty? I do remember that if you miss your intended target and hit the ref, the ref has a right to hit you in the head with a monkey wrench whenever he wants.

Of course back then we were men. Not the sissy that are out there today. Leading with the helmet penalty? Pssh back then we'd take a hammer to the face, and respond by poking the aggressor in the eye!

jomo
05-23-2013, 09:14 PM
It's been so long now I can't remember.... is a pie to the face a five or ten yard penalty? I do remember that if you miss your intended target and hit the ref, the ref has a right to hit you in the head with a monkey wrench whenever he wants.

Of course back then we were men. Not the sissy that are out there today. Leading with the helmet penalty? Pssh back then we'd take a hammer to the face, and respond by poking the aggressor in the eye!Moe might have been the Butkus of the comedy circuit? Double fister to the forehead should qualify him for that.

appodictic
05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
How long before blackburn is back starting :)

appodictic
05-23-2013, 09:40 PM
BTW curry's long interview about how and why he sucked so bad was making me think he wanted to be nominated for the justin tuck "I want to talk about my bad play" award. That must have been the most awkward interview ever. No matter how bad of an NFL LB you are on the current giants your basically LT.

Carter.525
05-23-2013, 10:00 PM
How long before blackburn is back starting :)

for the Panthers?

gmen0820
05-23-2013, 11:05 PM
nominated for the justin tuck "I want to talk about my bad play" award. Lmao, good one.

Harooni
05-24-2013, 02:13 AM
they should be battling for 2nd team only

Kruunch
05-24-2013, 07:58 AM
At least Curly is good for a few yucks.
I am not critical of the Curry deal since it is structured defensively. If he can achieve any of his potential, he will start for us and be cheap. If not (which is the safe bet anyway) no major harm to our cap situation.

This.

I love the Curry deal ... there is no down side for us.

Redeyejedi
05-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Might as well, the LB position is obsolete anyway, just ask Reese!Not obsolete but with the rule changes the NFL is seeing a lot more speed and quickness. Since there arent a whole lot of 255 pound guys who are nimble and fast the Giants adjusted and began utilizing packages that emphasized quickness and speed instead. All these wrinkles with the spread offensives have been in college Football for years. Teams didnt stop it with adding more size in the middle of the Defense they did it by inventing the Star,Spur or Peso, In college the 4-2-5 is considered a Base Defense not a package for a lot of teams.

Kruunch
05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
In college the 4-2-5 is considered a Base Defense not a package for a lot of teams.

Kind of has been like that for the Giants the last two years. We've spent more time in Nickel packages more than base defense (or so it seems).

It will be interesting this year however, as our division turns into more of a running division (at least with respect to the Eagles and Redskins).