PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Linebackers: Assessing Where They Stand

RoanokeFan
05-23-2013, 01:42 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/23/4358698/new-york-giants-linebackers-mark-herzlich-dan-connor-keith-rivers-aaron-curry-spencer-paysinger

Excerpt: "New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) coach Tom Coughlin was asked a few questions about Aaron Curry (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71283/aaron-curry), the linebacker the Giants recently signed as a free agent. One of the answers he gave pretty much applied to the entire linebacking unit.

"There are plenty of opportunities; everybody has got a great opportunity. There is nothing in concrete there," Coughlin said. "Matter of fact, I speak about that all of the time. I think it is a great opportunity."

The key phrase in all of that is "there is nothing concrete in there." Coughlin is telling us that all three linebacker jobs are up for grabs. With that in mind, let's assess the current situation. Nothing, of course, can really be gleaned from one day. What came out of Wednesday's workout, however, does give us something to discuss." Read more...

Kruunch
05-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Translation: Do any of you have a friend? Having played LBer in the pass is a definite plus but not a deal breaker.

myles2424
05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Translation: Do any of you have a friend? Having played LBer in the pass is a definite plus but not a deal breaker.
I played LB throught my childhood/high school, but got into college as a DE....I feel like Reese would like that..
Im currently 6'4-3/4 & 250lbs....

jomo
05-23-2013, 05:38 PM
The only LB on our roster with some flashes of excellence on his resume AND considerable upside, now has a mysterious and lingering knee issue. I think that assessing where our linebackers stand is like comparing apples at the market. They are all pretty much the same and not terribly exciting.

giantsfan420
05-23-2013, 06:14 PM
why the F are they having Moore line up as a non pass rush LB? Are we really gonna try to make him Sintim 2 or can we pls just let this kid do what he does best and get after the qb...

jomo
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM
why the F are they having Moore line up as a non pass rush LB? Are we really gonna try to make him Sintim 2 or can we pls just let this kid do what he does best and get after the qb...Please strike Sintim from your vocabulary. :)

DownWitJPP
05-23-2013, 08:28 PM
been saying it all along, don't sleep on Paysinger..kid has a real shot at starting

jomo
05-23-2013, 08:30 PM
been saying it all along, don't sleep on Paysinger..kid has a real shot at startingClimbing over a very low bar. Wish the kid well but worry about the entire unit. Slim pickings.

TheEnigma
05-23-2013, 08:31 PM
why the F are they having Moore line up as a non pass rush LB? Are we really gonna try to make him Sintim 2 or can we pls just let this kid do what he does best and get after the qb...

I imagine it's more in the 4-3 under variation and less of a traditional 4-3 base like we are accustomed to.

DownWitJPP
05-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Climbing over a very low bar. Wish the kid well but worry about the entire unit. Slim pickings. I agree with ya that the bar hasn't been set very high but I think hes talented. He will surprise some people when he gets his shot

jomo
05-23-2013, 08:35 PM
I agree with ya that the bar hasn't been set very high but I think hes talented. He will surprise some people when he gets his shotHe is talented and a sleeper among that deep LB class he came in with. He has earned a shot with his special teams play. He brings energy and intensity. I just wish we had one sure shot at LB.

DVision
05-23-2013, 08:57 PM
If these guys don't even know where to stand they're in BIG trouble!!!:)

JJC7301
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Assessing where the Giants LB corp currently stands in two words:

They suck.

Captain Chaos
05-24-2013, 06:46 AM
I think I will reserve judgement until I see them play in the pre season. There is potential there; both talent and injury wise. Really tough to say how this will turn out....

fansince69
05-24-2013, 06:54 AM
I think I will reserve judgement until I see them play in the pre season. There is potential there; both talent and injury wise. Really tough to say how this will turn out....I agree

ALLnygIN
05-24-2013, 07:27 AM
been saying it all along, don't sleep on Paysinger..kid has a real shot at starting

I like the kid, but if he's starting then were really really worse off than I thought and thats just incredibly bad becuase were already in a bad spot at that position.

ALLnygIN
05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
I mean I"m sorry I just haven't seen anything from spencer that would provoke any excitement.

TCHOF
05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Is it me, or does Paysinger look much heavier in that picture than he was last season?

JesseJames
05-24-2013, 10:42 AM
I think the quality or lack thereof of the Giants LBer position reflects very clearly how they value the position not very highly ..

fansince69
05-24-2013, 10:46 AM
I think the quality or lack thereof of the Giants LBer position reflects very clearly how they value the position not very highly ..they do not value it enough to pay big money or spend draft picks on the position....I get the impression that their philosophy is sign as many cheap backers as we can and hope someone stays healthy and can provide at least an adequate play....sometimes it works...many times it doesn't ....but one thing is for sure...they sure do stick to this plan

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I imagine it's more in the 4-3 under variation and less of a traditional 4-3 base like we are accustomed to.from what i've read, he's been working exclusively with the LB group. They arent having paysinger or Curry rush the passer the way we could with Moore, so I doubt that hes with the LB group to rush the passer...just odd. if they want him to be a stand up pass rusher in diff formtins, let him work with the pass rushers.

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 10:56 AM
meanwhile, for example, kiwi has been working exclusively at DE. just confusing me. I get Moore may have to be aware of diff terminology and stuff, but when i read he's working with the LB group, esp on a team where the LBs are generally not pass rushing (aside from the joker, but wouldn't the joker role be working as a pass rusher?), i picture them actually trying to use him as we would our Will or Sam. And thats not what we should be doing with him, at all.

He should be working on his pass rushing and getting that at as high a level as possible for this season, and i doubt that happens if hes gonna be practicing as a LB

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
the way i understood it, the only reason we'd use him as the joker is so we can move him all over the field to rush from diff angles.

Giant303
05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Imagine that trying to teach a 3rd round draft pick how to play a position completely. haha the giants should hire some of you guys since you know so much better than the coaches on what a draft pick should be working on/learning.

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 11:35 AM
hes never been a non pass rush LB. he's done nothing but rush the passer (except for the sporadic coverage in the flats to confuse the OL). If they want to teach him a position completely, which I agree should be done, it should be as a passrusher. that cant happen if hes working with the LBs.

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 11:36 AM
did u feel the NYG got the most outta sintim? curious to ur response. i understand why they tried what they did with him. i just thought they woulda learned their lesson by now to play to a players strengths, which is why we drafted him in the first place, than to turn him into something he's not.

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 11:40 AM
if we are gonna use him as LB, then I will have my first real issue with JR this draft. Theres no evidence, nothing u could reasonably base picking Moore to be a Will lets say. If they drafted him, with that intent, it was a complete shot in the dark, bc theres nothing Moore has been asked to do as a collegiate player that would signify "he can play OLB in a 4-3".
I was under the assumption we drafted him based on "sacks, he's sacks" and how he has been so effective as a passrusher. maybe thats why im overreacting. it is just the first couple OTA's. im just saying, id hate if this was how we were gonna try using him...id almost rather just make him a DE and that be that.

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
put it this way, imo, if he's doing anything besides attacking the passer, he isnt being used to the best of his abilities. which is what baffled me to learn they were practicing with him as an OLB not pass rushing.

DownWitJPP
05-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Is it me, or does Paysinger look much heavier in that picture than he was last season? He does look bigger..i remember reading an article last year that they asked him to put on some size

Giant303
05-24-2013, 06:03 PM
did u feel the NYG got the most outta sintim? curious to ur response. i understand why they tried what they did with him. i just thought they woulda learned their lesson by now to play to a players strengths, which is why we drafted him in the first place, than to turn him into something he's not.

Whoa man no wonder you have 12 thousand posts :). Sintim was always hurt man so thats really not a fair comparison on any level. If they play moore exclusively at Will then yeah i'd question that, but again right now its complete speculation by you. We aren't in the meeting rooms they could be trying to guage his smarts on coverage,because as you stated all he did in college was rush the passer. So take a deep breath and lets wait at least until a scrimmage to see where he lines up.

I'm under the impression the Giants TC especially likes intelligent players who knows how the entire defense works.

giantsfan420
05-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Whoa man no wonder you have 12 thousand posts :). Sintim was always hurt man so thats really not a fair comparison on any level. If they play moore exclusively at Will then yeah i'd question that, but again right now its complete speculation by you. We aren't in the meeting rooms they could be trying to guage his smarts on coverage,because as you stated all he did in college was rush the passer. So take a deep breath and lets wait at least until a scrimmage to see where he lines up.

I'm under the impression the Giants TC especially likes intelligent players who knows how the entire defense works.u win. valid points. i knew i was overreacting, just did not like reading that...at all

Redeyejedi
05-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Everyone complains rookies dont play then the Giants start working the kid out in a spot where he can get some snaps and most of the board cant stand it. I dont get why people have a problem with working guys in multiple places.

jomo
05-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Everyone complains rookies dont play then the Giants start working the kid out in a spot where he can get some snaps and most of the board cant stand it. I dont get why people have a problem with working guys in multiple places.Not me, I love flexibility in skills.

TCHOF
05-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Sintim was a turd, plain and simple

B&RWarrior
05-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Everyone complains rookies dont play then the Giants start working the kid out in a spot where he can get some snaps and most of the board cant stand it. I dont get why people have a problem with working guys in multiple places.

I like flexibility, but I don't like liabilities. Like you said, let's see how it plays out on the field.

keyofgmen
05-25-2013, 09:58 AM
I've said all along, I think they drafted Moore with LB in mind from the start. He will rush QB in certain packages, but I have no problem seeing him line up as a SAM. Just simply a new talent at that position we haven't seen lately. Perhaps the likes of RG and Vick will actually have to worry about the second level D for a change.

JesseJames
05-25-2013, 10:57 AM
if we are gonna use him as LB, then I will have my first real issue with JR this draft. Theres no evidence, nothing u could reasonably base picking Moore to be a Will lets say. If they drafted him, with that intent, it was a complete shot in the dark, bc theres nothing Moore has been asked to do as a collegiate player that would signify "he can play OLB in a 4-3".
I was under the assumption we drafted him based on "sacks, he's sacks" and how he has been so effective as a passrusher. maybe thats why im overreacting. it is just the first couple OTA's. im just saying, id hate if this was how we were gonna try using him...id almost rather just make him a DE and that be that.

when I brought this subject up last week of the team using Moore as a LBer I got a few very sarcastic remarks from posters who should have known better and now it looks like what I posted was right. I still don't like the idea of using Moore that way , I think we should use him to his best talents but I guess I have to let the professionals do what they think is best..

Eliscruzzz
05-25-2013, 03:30 PM
We are not going know any of them are going to play until week 1. I really don't care who starts as long as they stop the run and can cover TE's. Unfortunately We are going to find out week one with Jason Witten and Demarco Murray.

Martyr
05-26-2013, 10:50 AM
We are not going know any of them are going to play until week 1. I really don't care who starts as long as they stop the run and can cover TE's. Unfortunately We are going to find out week one with Jason Witten and Demarco Murray.

I agree totally, all 3 starting linebackers are gone from last year if you count kiwi going to the DE. We would be better off flipping coins to see who will start.

NorwoodBlue
05-26-2013, 11:36 AM
I agree totally, all 3 starting linebackers are gone from last year if you count kiwi going to the DE. We would be better off flipping coins to see who will start.

I think we've got a healthy competition at MLB with a guaranteed upgrade from last year. I think Curry has the potential to be a good solid MLB.

Williams is back but his health is questionable. So there's a question mark there; but it's probably going to be Williams. He's proven to be a competent LB.
The other slot, you've got Rivers, Paysinger and maybe Moore in a good competition. With Kiwi providing a little more heat up front this year, I think the LB corps will have better success.

I don't think we're going to have a San Francisco type of LB group; but I think they'll be better than last year. Quite frankly, Osi was horrendous against the run last year, and that made the LB group look even worse than they were. Tuck didn't play much better on the other side, and the middle of the line was really banged up. This year's DL looks like they should be able to play much better than last year, and that too should help the LB.