PDA

View Full Version : What Can Giants Expect From Jason Pierre-Paul in 2013?

RoanokeFan
05-25-2013, 07:54 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/24/4362282/jason-pierre-paul-new-york-giants-sacks-nfl-top-100-pro-football-focus

Excerpt: "What can the New York Giants expect from defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul in 2013? Much has been made of Pierre-Paul's decline in quarterback sacks from 16.5 during his All-Pro 2011 season to 6.5 during a good, but not dominant, 2012 season.

Where will Pierre-Paul's numbers fall in 2013?Pro Football Focus analyst Ben Stockwell recently took at look at Pierre-Paul's work the past two seasons (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/21/pass-rusher-profile-jason-pierre-paul/) and concluded that JPP "is an elite edge defender but not an elite pass rusher."Stockwell contends that Pierre-Paul is a better inside pass rusher (one pressure for every 26.5 rushes to the inside) than outside (one pressure every 31.5 pass rushes). In 2011, Stockwell reported that Pierre-Paul had an outside pressure once every 24.5 rushes. He writes:

Part of what lets Pierre-Paul down in regard to really maximizing inside pressure is his ability to consistently get outside of opposing pass protectors. In simple terms, he can’t get outside of pass protectors frequently enough to force them to over-compensate to that outside pass rush, opening up the inside moves. The most efficient inside pass rushers almost all get pressure to the outside of pass protectors at a far better rate than Pierre-Paul manages. That Pierre-Paul only averaged outside pressure once per game this season, and only converted three of sixteen pressures into a hit or sack on the quarterback, tells the story of a pass rusher who lacked that burst to really threaten the corner and worry tackles about reaching him. In 2011 Pierre-Paul had far better balance in his pass rush. It was the outside sacks and hits that were missing from his game this past season.

Valentine's View: Perhaps the fact that Pierre-Paul spent so much more time on the left side where my belief is he is less natural affected his burst to the outside. With Osi Umenyiora gone to the Atlanta Falcons via free agency perhaps Pierre-Paul will spend more time on the right side in 2013. Last season, Pierre-Paul spent only 57.9 percent of his time at right defensive end (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/3/18/4117258/new-york-giants-justin-tuck-jason-pierre-paul-mathias-kiwanuka-osi-umenyiora)." Read more...

GameTime
05-25-2013, 09:11 AM
he has the talent. What I expect is a smarter, more seasoned player who really gets the scheme and takes advantage of it....

drewz
05-25-2013, 09:14 AM
15 sacks or bust

Ntegrase96
05-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Some really good battles with Trent Williams, Tyron Smith, and Lane Johnson

TroyArcher
05-25-2013, 12:12 PM
I think maybe his rookie season came to easy and he took last year for granted. Hopefully he will come out fired up, smarter and better prepared in 2013.

giantsfan420
05-25-2013, 12:17 PM
any OT that goes up against him understands his talent level. ppl act like bc we won the sb in 2011 that jpp was done developing as a player...he is still so raw in terms of what he can become. last yr was a needed part of his evolution imho, and i think he'll show why this yr when he handles double teams with more success.

gumby74
05-25-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't know what to make of him. At this point I don't think he's worth an enormous contract. He has to show me something this coming season in order for me to think he'd be worth it. Show me that his rookie season wasn't just a fluke.

Carter.525
05-25-2013, 12:35 PM

That's a tough group..

ShakeandBake
05-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Can't wait to see more of this:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcof29Cua71r5ceyx.gif

Buddy333
05-25-2013, 03:12 PM
He is a monster against the run and still a very good pass rusher. This is why the beefed up he DL. Instead of him switching around keep him on the right and get better play on the left and middle.

Eliscruzzz
05-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Hopefully 15-20 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 90 tackles and an int.

jomo
05-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Hopefully 15-20 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 90 tackles and an int.I can see a pick six in my crystal ball.

Eliscruzzz
05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
I can see a pick six in my crystal ball.haha just like last year in Dallas. That game was ugly but an awesome play by JPP.

Carter.525
05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
I can see a pick six in my crystal ball.

and a slam dunk!!

giantsfan420
05-26-2013, 03:47 AM
I don't know what to make of him. At this point I don't think he's worth an enormous contract. He has to show me something this coming season in order for me to think he'd be worth it. Show me that his rookie season wasn't just a fluke.what? he flashed his rookie yr,broke out sophomore yr, and despite 6 sacks, is still being hailed as the best complete DE by analysts and players alike.

fansince69
05-26-2013, 07:48 AM
My opinion is this, and I am sure I will get the wrath of the board...but to me he seemed to suffer from the same issues that Cruz suffered from....the other guys on the line (tuck and company) were not playing well so he was getting more double teams ...just like Cruz, because Nicks wasn't on top of his game.......both Cruz and Pierre Paul need to learn how to deal with this if they truly want to be considered top guys at their positions

BlueSanta
05-26-2013, 09:02 AM
I think maybe his rookie season came to easy and he took last year for granted. Hopefully he will come out fired up, smarter and better prepared in 2013.

I think you are confused. It was his sophomore season that he dominated. He didn't play much his rookie year except as a backup and even then mostly late in the season.

Ntegrase96
05-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Can't wait to see more of this:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcof29Cua71r5ceyx.gif

Yeah, JPP got a chance to pick on him last year. I'm really surprised they didn't give Smith much help-- allowing him to go toe to toe with Pierre Paul from day one. He gave up less sacks than I predicted (I think I had it around 4-5 sacks surrendered to JPP, but it ended up being just the one) but he looked lost as many times as he looked dominating.

Any way, I expect Smith to be even better this year. The kid is still only 22 and is still growing as a player and physically as well.

Toadofsteel
05-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Yeah, JPP got a chance to pick on him last year. I'm really surprised they didn't give Smith much help-- allowing him to go toe to toe with Pierre Paul from day one. He gave up less sacks than I predicted (I think I had it around 4-5 sacks surrendered to JPP, but it ended up being just the one) but he looked lost as many times as he looked dominating.

Any way, I expect Smith to be even better this year. The kid is still only 22 and is still growing as a player and physically as well.

It sounds like JPP/Smith is going to be the next Strahan/Runyan...

ShakeandBake
05-27-2013, 12:17 AM

I don't blame them for throwing him out there like that because he definitely has the talent to do so. Unfortunately for us Smith looks like he will be great for the Cowboys down the line. As far as next year goes though I expect that JPP will still have his number(although I don't expect Smith getting tossed like that again!)

appodictic
05-27-2013, 01:20 AM
I want jpp at 30 back flip weight, not "I can barely slam dunk a football after pick 6 weight.

giantsfan420
05-27-2013, 01:35 AM

Any way, I expect Smith to be even better this year. The kid is still only 22 and is still growing as a player and physically as well.huh? i thought i read that JPP had the most success out of anyone he faced VS T,Smith (remember our debates on him NTE? hes gonna be good maybe great, but i told u he'd have some growing pains...maybe im confusing u w/ someone else my bad if so) in terms of sack #'s the past 2 yrs?

sharick88
05-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Everyone seems to forget that he was getting double and tripled teamed and that the other dlinemen were not beating their one on ones. Osi and Tuck STOLE money from the giants last season. If he has ANY real help this upcoming season, I expect him to have a monster year.

Antwuan
05-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Honestly im expecting him to return to his 2011 form, I know he got double teamed a lot in last season but I expect to return the 2011 JPP.

Ntegrase96
05-28-2013, 03:10 PM
huh? i thought i read that JPP had the most success out of anyone he faced VS T,Smith (remember our debates on him NTE? hes gonna be good maybe great, but i told u he'd have some growing pains...maybe im confusing u w/ someone else my bad if so) in terms of sack #'s the past 2 yrs?

I don't recall debating about growing pains for Smith... you may have mentioned it when we were debating offensive lines, but I don't think I ever denied that he would have them. I remember telling Slip I wouldn't be surprised if JPP had 4-5 sacks against Smith this year, but still expected it to be a pretty good battle.

JPP had the most success out of anyone he faced vs Smith, which I don't doubt, but I'm not sure if that's a per snap basis or bulk stats. If it's bulk stats, then obviously JPP faced Smith more than most, Philadelphia didn't even start the same LT twice. Plus as you mentioned, growing pains factor into it all. Smith was thrown out there on an island vs JPP in his first regular season game at LT. The 2nd game, where he got tossed, was actually one of his better games of the season.

ALL_OuT23
05-28-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't know what to make of him. At this point I don't think he's worth an enormous contract. He has to show me something this coming season in order for me to think he'd be worth it. Show me that his rookie season wasn't just a fluke.^^^^what he said^^^^^