PDA

View Full Version : Want 2 Steve's next year

appodictic
12-31-2011, 11:44 AM
So I think it would be great it we had Steve Smith and Steve Spags. Here is why:

Spags: I do not care for Fewell. Spag liked bringing pressure.

Smith: Our current WR's are good but they have too many drops. Steve Smith was Mr. third down. (Assuming he can bounce back from his injury ) He could make our offence consistent.

jaygoon
12-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Neither is what the giants need. Slags was a great defensive coordinator because he had the talent.
Steve smith is a wr, that's one of the only positions we are set at for multiple years.
The giants need linebackers and offensive lineman.

jomo
12-31-2011, 12:25 PM
So I think it would be great it we had Steve Smith and Steve Spags. Here is why:

Smith: Our current WR's are good but they have too many drops. Steve Smith was Mr. third down. (Assuming he can bounce back from his injury ) He could make our offence consistent.
If his recovery continues, Smith could be a very good and cheap #3 option for us behind Nicks and Cruz with MM gone.

bklyn1028
12-31-2011, 12:27 PM
NO wan mara / reese bring back Smith. He had his chance, snubbed us for $$$$, he's done with this organization. Spags is another story. depends on what Fewell does sun. nite/ playoffs.

jomo
12-31-2011, 12:38 PM
NO wan mara / reese bring back Smith. He had his chance, snubbed us for $$$$, he's done with this organization. Spags is another story. depends on what Fewell does sun. nite/ playoffs.I never understood this argument. So another employer offers you twice as much as your current employer andthat makes youa bad person.......... for looking out for your family, coming out of an injury which could spell the end of your career?</P>

I think the Giants offer was smart andfair (it's just business and Smith obviously isn't fully healed)</P>

I think Smith didn't hurt us at allbut he took care of his family while he (hopefully) heals.</P>

The Eagles were the only stupic ones in the transaction. haha They grossly overpaid for a guy who wasn't ready to compete at the NFL level just yet.</P>

It is just business and 2 of the 3 parties made good business decisions.</P>

BigBlue1971
12-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Smith i would bring back for the veteran minimum and let him prove himself again. right now, if brought back he would be nothing more than a #3 if that!</P>

Spags was a great dc for us but if Fewells defense goes deep in the playoffs, i suspect he will be brought back next year. </P>

that said, Spags could be an egirl before the Giants are done playing ball this season. just sayin!</P>

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 12:42 PM

If his recovery continues, Smith could be a very good and cheap #3 option for us behind Nicks and Cruz with MM gone.

This is funny to me, you guys have such a short memory. Smith did a complete 180, not only did he leave (which is fine, its business, I get it) but you started slamming our organization! Oh you guys forgot? Here ya go..

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/6143/steve-smith-i-used-to-hate-the-eagles-now-i-dont-like-the-giants

Our staff said its to early to play, didnt like it, phily and their well known garbage med. staff didnt care. He left so he can play week 1 bc HE thought he was good and now look ....IR....i dont ever want him back in Giants blue and you guys may say "it's business", well there is ways to do business and slamming your prior organization after signing to a division rival isn't it. Hey bro get your money, you're young, I get it, but have class about it.

bklyn1028
12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
NO wan mara / reese bring back Smith. He had his chance, snubbed us for $$$$, he's done with this organization. Spags is another story. depends on what Fewell does sun. nite/ playoffs.I never understood this argument. So another employer offers you twice as much as your current employer and*that makes you*a bad person.......... for looking out for your family, coming out of an injury which could spell the end of your career?</P>

I think the Giants offer was smart and*fair (it's just business and Smith obviously isn't fully healed)</P>

I think Smith didn't hurt us at all*but he took care of his family while he (hopefully) heals.</P>

The Eagles were the only stupic ones in the transaction. haha They grossly overpaid for a guy who wasn't ready to compete at the NFL level just yet.</P>

It is just business and 2 of the 3 parties made good business decisions.</P>

YOu miss understood me....sorry......I don't blame the Giants for not wanting him back...(my view, I really don't know what the front office is thinking..)..He went for the money (smith), and rightly so. It was a very smart move for him. I would have done the same thing. Same thing with Boss. I left a job I absolutely loved to move across the street at double the $. Smith and Boss did the right thing. However, I think he burned his bridge here that is what I meant.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Too many drops, but for the first time in franchise history, we have TWO receiver who broke 1,000 yards, one of whom has now broken the single season record held by Amani Toomer. Is Smith one of those two receivers?

Smith was damaged goods when they offered him $1M for 1 year post injury. Now he's twice damaged so what would yo suggest we offer him now? The eagles probably put him on the field too soon to prove the GIANTS were wrong in their assessment and all they proved was Smith was not ready and the GIANTS were right in their assessment.

We'll never know, but it could well be that had Smith stuck with the GIANTS he'd be marching into the playoffs with us instead of being on IR for his second year in a row.

He's not the same pre-injury Smith and we're better off with who we have.

appodictic
12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Neither is what the giants need. Slags was a great defensive coordinator because he had the talent.
Steve smith is a wr, that's one of the only positions we are set at for multiple years.

We have all kinds of WR talent but no one who can consistently catch the ball and keep the chains moving. Ever week we are hit or miss tossing up bombs and dropping td.Steve smith could do something none of our receivers could do, catch the ball reliably.

The point is we can probably get him cheap. After his eagles mess the giants are one of the few teams that would give him a shot.

Also look at guys like Osi or Phillips there first year back after injury is tough, but that second year they can have a rejuvenation.

jomo
12-31-2011, 12:49 PM

If his recovery continues, Smith could be a very good and cheap #3 option for us behind Nicks and Cruz with MM gone. This is funny to me, you guys have such a short memory. Smith did a complete 180, not only did he leave (which is fine, its business, I get it) but you started slamming our organization! Oh you guys forgot? Here ya go.. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/6143/steve-smith-i-used-to-hate-the-eagles-now-i-dont-like-the-giants Our staff said its to early to play, didnt like it, phily and their well known garbage med. staff didnt care. He left so he can play week 1 bc HE thought he was good and now look ....IR....i dont ever want him back in Giants blue and you guys may say "it's business", well there is ways to do business and slamming your prior organization after signing to a division rival isn't it. Hey bro get your money, you're young, I get it, but have class about it.Maybe I have a blind spot on this one because I agree that there is a good way and a bad way to do things.I also harborgrudges and have a long memory.I seem to remember the front office and fans bashing first but maybe I am wrong. I also remember that this was an emotional time for all of us in the Giants family.......Plax to Jets, Eagles building the dream team with Assamwahhhhh etc, TT going down, Osi griping etc. We were all on edge and cranky.</P>

What I do know is that Smith is relatively young, was in a tough spot publicity and financial security wise and he said some stuff he shouldn't have. His record and approach priorto that episodehoweverwere very, very good. He was a delightful young guy, a good interview, a loyal teammate and pretty darn productive receiver.He was a very active user of social media prior to that andhad not yet seen the dark side of just saying whatever comes to mind.I am willing to let him slide onthis one, but that's just me.</P>

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 01:13 PM

If his recovery continues, Smith could be a very good and cheap #3 option for us behind Nicks and Cruz with MM gone. This is funny to me, you guys have such a short memory. Smith did a complete 180, not only did he leave (which is fine, its business, I get it) but you started slamming our organization! Oh you guys forgot? Here ya go.. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/6143/steve-smith-i-used-to-hate-the-eagles-now-i-dont-like-the-giants Our staff said its to early to play, didnt like it, phily and their well known garbage med. staff didnt care. He left so he can play week 1 bc HE thought he was good and now look ....IR....i dont ever want him back in Giants blue and you guys may say "it's business", well there is ways to do business and slamming your prior organization after signing to a division rival isn't it. Hey bro get your money, you're young, I get it, but have class about it.Maybe I have a blind spot on this one because I agree that there is a good way and a bad way to do things.*I also harbor*grudges and have a long memory.*I seem to remember the front office and fans bashing first but maybe I am wrong. I also remember that this was an emotional time for all of us in the Giants family.......Plax to Jets, Eagles building the dream team with Assamwahhhhh etc, TT going down, Osi griping etc. We were all on edge and cranky.</P>

What I do know is that Smith is relatively young, was in a tough spot publicity and financial security wise and he said some stuff he shouldn't have. His record and approach prior*to that episode*however*were very, very good. He was a delightful young guy, a good interview, a loyal teammate and pretty darn productive receiver.*He was a very active user of social media prior to that and*had not yet seen the dark side of just saying whatever comes to mind.*I am willing to let him slide on*this one, but that's just me.</P>

Well put brother. Steve smith use to respond to me on his facebook page. And thats why I am most hurt bc the way he handled it after he left. Thats why many fans were hurt and were blasting him on his page because we were emotionally tied to his as a player.

----Any older players remember when Bavaro left? How was that??

jomo
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM

If his recovery continues, Smith could be a very good and cheap #3 option for us behind Nicks and Cruz with MM gone. This is funny to me, you guys have such a short memory. Smith did a complete 180, not only did he leave (which is fine, its business, I get it) but you started slamming our organization! Oh you guys forgot? Here ya go.. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/6143/steve-smith-i-used-to-hate-the-eagles-now-i-dont-like-the-giants Our staff said its to early to play, didnt like it, phily and their well known garbage med. staff didnt care. He left so he can play week 1 bc HE thought he was good and now look ....IR....i dont ever want him back in Giants blue and you guys may say "it's business", well there is ways to do business and slamming your prior organization after signing to a division rival isn't it. Hey bro get your money, you're young, I get it, but have class about it.Maybe I have a blind spot on this one because I agree that there is a good way and a bad way to do things.I also harborgrudges and have a long memory.I seem to remember the front office and fans bashing first but maybe I am wrong. I also remember that this was an emotional time for all of us in the Giants family.......Plax to Jets, Eagles building the dream team with Assamwahhhhh etc, TT going down, Osi griping etc. We were all on edge and cranky.</P>

What I do know is that Smith is relatively young, was in a tough spot publicity and financial security wise and he said some stuff he shouldn't have. His record and approach priorto that episodehoweverwere very, very good. He was a delightful young guy, a good interview, a loyal teammate and pretty darn productive receiver.He was a very active user of social media prior to that andhad not yet seen the dark side of just saying whatever comes to mind.I am willing to let him slide onthis one, but that's just me.</P> Well put brother. Steve smith use to respond to me on his facebook page. And thats why I am most hurt bc the way he handled it after he left. Thats why many fans were hurt and were blasting him on his page because we were emotionally tied to his as a player. ----Any older players remember when Bavaro left? How was that?? Our medical staff had decided that their bodies were done playing in the NFL. Our fans accepted that and the separation went easily.He showed very little withhis new team.

appodictic
12-31-2011, 01:19 PM

Too many drops, but for the first time in franchise history, we have TWO receiver who broke 1,000 yards, one of whom has now broken the single season record held by Amani Toomer. Is Smith one of those two receivers?

Smith was damaged goods when they offered him $1M for 1 year post injury. Now he's twice damaged so what would yo suggest we offer him now? The eagles probably put him on the field too soon to prove the GIANTS were wrong in their assessment and all they proved was Smith was not ready and the GIANTS were right in their assessment.

We'll never know, but it could well be that had Smith stuck with the GIANTS he'd be marching into the playoffs with us instead of being on IR for his second year in a row.

I always respect your opinion but I do not agree. Having 2 1,000 yard receivers is a great story, but its also part of the reason we are 8-7. We are essentially the NY chargers. We put up tons of yard and sometimes gets lots of points. But generally it is not effective. This is why Breese and Brady had almost 5K yards and 30+ TDs. Why they are clearly leading their divisions and were are hanging by a thread.

If we are going to be a passing team having 4 or 5 critical drops a game is not going to do it. As good as the guys have been at times they are not consistent. That is what Steve Smith was consistent.

I think Steve Smith has a chance to be great again. He had 1000+ yards and went to the pro-bowl. He broke giants records too. Just to paper over him and say "now we have better" is forgetting how great he was for this team.

I am thinking he needed more time to recover from his micro-fracture and can be a force this year.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 01:25 PM

Too many drops, but for the first time in franchise history, we have TWO receiver who broke 1,000 yards, one of whom has now broken the single season record held by Amani Toomer.* Is Smith one of those two receivers?

Smith was damaged goods when they offered him $1M for 1 year post injury.* Now he's twice damaged so what would yo suggest we offer him now?* The eagles probably put him on the field too soon to prove the GIANTS were wrong in their assessment and all they proved was Smith was not ready and the GIANTS were right in their assessment.*

I always respect your opinion but I do not agree. Having 2 1,000 yard receivers is a great story, but its also part of the reason we are 8-7. We are essentially the NY chargers. We put up tons of yard and sometimes gets lots of points. But generally it is not effective. This is why Breese and Brady had almost 5K yards and 30+ TDs. Why they are clearly leading their divisions and were are hanging by a thread.

If we are going to be a passing team having 4 or 5 critical drops a game is not going to do it. As good as the guys have been at times they are not consistent. That is what Steve Smith was consistent.

I think Steve Smith has a chance to be great again. He had 1000+ yards and went to the pro-bowl. He broke giants records too. Just to paper over him and say "now we have better" is forgetting how great he was for this team.

I am thinking he needed more time to recover from his micro-fracture and can be a force this year.

We all entitled to our own opinions obviously, but you thinking he can be a "force" this year is a rather general statement with no concrete evidence to back up that statement.

NWKEffectElement
12-31-2011, 01:25 PM
You have got to be freaking kidding me!! Are we seriously still on this Steve Smith crap? He will never be a New York Giant again, PERIOD!! Not after the way he left, and especially not after he has damaged the same knee again.

jomo
12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
You have got to be freaking kidding me!! Are we seriously still on this Steve Smith crap? He will never be a New York Giant again, PERIOD!! Not after the way he left, and especially not after he has damaged the same knee again.Then I guess, it has been decreed to be so. [:D]

GiantWarfare
12-31-2011, 01:27 PM
For the life of me I'll never understand the obsession some of us have w/ Smith...

He's gone, he dropped us like a sack of potatoes for our hated rival

As a previous poster mentioned, he's also twice damaged goods now and a shell of the player he was when he was w/ us

How about we concern ourselves w/ our guys who are 10x better, and we'll worry and fret about the 3rd receiver spot when we come to that...

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 01:35 PM
For the life of me I'll never understand the obsession some of us have w/ Smith...

He's gone, he dropped us like a sack of potatoes for our hated rival

As a previous poster mentioned, he's also twice damaged goods now and a shell of the player he was when he was w/ us

How about we concern ourselves w/ our guys who are 10x better, and we'll worry and fret about the 3rd receiver spot when we come to that...
This. He's gone and I dont care if he come back. Move on, there is no reason for me to believe we dont have another guy on this roster to step. Can we honestly say Jernigan wont develop into a great receiver? No. What about Barden, can we HONESTLY say he is garbage and wont develop? He has made tough catches this year, granted, his last game against the Jets was not good, but I am not ready to write him off. The steve smith has sailed..."bon voyage!"

amdownwitjpp
12-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Man losing Smith is the best thing that happened to NYG cuz we may not have heard of Cruz had he stayed and gotten healthy,not to mention NYG is a classy organization as a fan I pride my Giants on that fact,and he showed he had no class so he went where less class is expected and proved that our offer was more than his value,more proof of our class as we tried to do right by him but by also meeting our agendas as well he wanted NYG to lay down for him unacceptable

NWKEffectElement
12-31-2011, 01:42 PM
You have got to be freaking kidding me!! Are we seriously still on this Steve Smith crap? He will never be a New York Giant again, PERIOD!! Not after the way he left, and especially not after he has damaged the same knee again.Then I guess, it has been decreed to be so. [:D]

Lmao!! The exclamation points make it so.

Seriously, I can't believe people are still on this. After that second knee injury, who knows if he could ever walk without a limp let alone play football again. The OP suggest that he was sure handed when that was simply not true. I was over SS the second they announced him going to the birds.

Defcon4
12-31-2011, 02:18 PM

If his recovery continues, Smith could be a very good and cheap #3 option for us behind Nicks and Cruz with MM gone. This is funny to me, you guys have such a short memory. Smith did a complete 180, not only did he leave (which is fine, its business, I get it) but you started slamming our organization! Oh you guys forgot? Here ya go.. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/6143/steve-smith-i-used-to-hate-the-eagles-now-i-dont-like-the-giants Our staff said its to early to play, didnt like it, phily and their well known garbage med. staff didnt care. He left so he can play week 1 bc HE thought he was good and now look ....IR....i dont ever want him back in Giants blue and you guys may say "it's business", well there is ways to do business and slamming your prior organization after signing to a division rival isn't it. Hey bro get your money, you're young, I get it, but have class about it.Maybe I have a blind spot on this one because I agree that there is a good way and a bad way to do things.*I also harbor*grudges and have a long memory.*I seem to remember the front office and fans bashing first but maybe I am wrong. I also remember that this was an emotional time for all of us in the Giants family.......Plax to Jets, Eagles building the dream team with Assamwahhhhh etc, TT going down, Osi griping etc. We were all on edge and cranky.</P>

What I do know is that Smith is relatively young, was in a tough spot publicity and financial security wise and he said some stuff he shouldn't have. His record and approach prior*to that episode*however*were very, very good. He was a delightful young guy, a good interview, a loyal teammate and pretty darn productive receiver.*He was a very active user of social media prior to that and*had not yet seen the dark side of just saying whatever comes to mind.*I am willing to let him slide on*this one, but that's just me.</P>

Well put brother. <font size="5"> Steve smith use to respond to me on his facebook page. And thats why I am most hurt </font> bc the way he handled it after he left. Thats why many fans were hurt and were blasting him on his page because we were emotionally tied to his as a player.

<font size="4" color="red">LMAO! Steve doesn't answer any of my calls any more he doesn't even write...the first time I was a fool I never knew love could be so cruel. </font>

Gimme a friggin break already. The guy had a career threatening knee injury as most serious knee injuries are career threatening. My gut tells me his agent, like any respectable agent would, told him to go after the higher guaranteed money offer. Seeing as he's had another injury to the same knee it was a smart call. Only SS is going to feed SS when he can't play foootball anymore.

I enjoy the NFL, but at the end of the day it's a business. So, if we can get him for a discount I'll take him back without a second thought and no hard feelings. Its a high risk move with that second knee injury, but with a healthy SS in the slot you can't roll coverage to Nicks. Our offense goes from good to scary factoring in the newly found Cruz.

Who knows if it happens? If it doesn't so what, tell Barden or MM to man up and put their game face on. No tears over hear. One man doesn't make us.

jomo
12-31-2011, 02:21 PM
It is interesting to watch so many of you get lathered up on this topic. I am so totally mellow on it and I'm not exactly sure why that is. Now, if you want to talk about Tiki with me................[:@]

jomo
12-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Maybe we should shift the conversation to Spags! [;)]

Defcon4
12-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Maybe we should shift the conversation to Spags! [;)]

Spags won't be the savior you all think he was in '07. The number one variable missing in his success formula is STRAHAN. Yes JPP is good but he ain't on Strahan's level YET. Watch some tape of how teams played Strahan; 2-3 O-linemen on almost everydown.

Spags doesn't have AP in the middle either. I think Spags is an upgrade but don't think we'll just go back to playing like '07 defense.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 02:58 PM
ill take spags back in a heartbeat.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Well put brother. <font size="5"> Steve smith use to respond to me on his facebook page. And thats why I am most hurt </font> bc the way he handled it after he left. Thats why many fans were hurt and were blasting him on his page because we were emotionally tied to his as a player.

<font size="4" color="red">LMAO! Steve doesn't answer any of my calls any more he doesn't even write...the first time I was a fool I never knew love could be so cruel. </font>

Gimme a friggin break already. The guy had a career threatening knee injury as most serious knee injuries are career threatening. My gut tells me his agent, like any respectable agent would, told him to go after the higher guaranteed money offer. Seeing as he's had another injury to the same knee it was a smart call. Only SS is going to feed SS when he can't play foootball anymore.

I enjoy the NFL, but at the end of the day it's a business. So, if we can get him for a discount I'll take him back without a second thought and no hard feelings. Its a high risk move with that second knee injury, but with a healthy SS in the slot you can't roll coverage to Nicks. Our offense goes from good to scary factoring in the newly found Cruz.

Who knows if it happens? If it doesn't so what, tell Barden or MM to man up and put their game face on. No tears over hear. One man doesn't make us.
Give you a break? Am I wrong or less tough bc I am being honest? I dont like the guy, period. Hurt..yes, not like the clown way you put it, hurt like mad...I think he is a bum for leaving the way he did. He was close to his fanbase and when he left he said he didnt like the giants anymore. I dont have a problem with him leaving, but dont trash the organization when you leave, have class.

And you would take him back in a second, thats where me and you are different. I know a lot of the older giants fans, not all, but I have spoken to a lot feel the same way. You just dont bash the Organization, leave and be quiet, be respectful like a pro, not some no class chump running your mouth bro.

And its funny when people say "with a healthy steve smith"...ok 2 injuries to the same knee, I find that hilarious bc its such a general statement. What evidence do you have he will ever be back to the same form? There is more evidence saying he wont.

and I never ever said Steve smith made us, I actually said Barden and jernigan could be next, so i dont know where you get all this crazy macho tough talk from about no tears. I just think the guy is a bum the way he left and there is nothing wrong with that.

giantsfan420
12-31-2011, 03:28 PM
steve smith didnt injure his knee for a second time, the first injury just didnt heal properly bc he was rushed back.

steve smith also didnt bash the giants. could some one post where he did? all he did was say he never heard the contract offer that was written about after he signed with the eagles (which i believe mara over smith anyways but thats diff. than going "the giants are a bad org. and they can jump off a cliff)

when smith was here, teams double teamed SMITH, not nicks. smith DID have 109 receptions a nyg record in 09. he had the most 3rd down conversion receptions in the league. he was killing it with the double moves and getting open and being exactly where eli thought he'd be.

steve smith does regret signing with philly. the nyg also regret how the whole situation played out.

i expect the giants to see where smiths health is and if he's healthy, i expect the giants to make an offer and smith to sign with us. if he doesnt, Barden, JJ, or another WR we get will just step up no big deal.

but i cant help but think how amazing we'd be with nicks and cruz on the outside, and smith in the slot. it'd be impossible to defend that, if u hate or love smith, can u deny that point? how do u stop us if we line those 3 up?

i hope smith comes back, smith hopes he comes back, and adam shefter one of the best in the biz reported that smith wants to come back. if the giants deem him healthy or healthy enough to sign, so be it, and we'd be set at the wr position and could give JJ some time to develop.

and of course, i'd love spags to return. genius defensive coordinator.

Defcon4
12-31-2011, 03:35 PM

Give you a break? Am I wrong or less tough bc I am being honest? I dont like the guy, period. Hurt..yes, not like the clown way you put it, hurt like mad...I think he is a bum for leaving the way he did. He was close to his fanbase and when he left he said he didnt like the giants anymore. I dont have a problem with him leaving, but dont trash the organization when you leave, have class.

And you would take him back in a second, thats where me and you are different. I know a lot of the older giants fans, not all, but I have spoken to a lot feel the same way. You just dont bash the Organization, leave and be quiet, be respectful like a pro, not some no class chump running your mouth bro.

And its funny when people say "with a healthy steve smith"...ok 2 injuries to the same knee, I find that hilarious bc its such a general statement. What evidence do you have he will ever be back to the same form? There is more evidence saying he wont.

and I never ever said Steve smith made us, I actually said Barden and jernigan could be next, so i dont know where you get all this crazy macho tough talk from about no tears. I just think the guy is a bum the way he left and there is nothing wrong with that.

I think SS understood the deep hatred between Eagles and Giants fans. It was more of a PR move trashing the Giants when he left. he probably stopped Facebooking you because he wanted to make a clean brake from the Giants or maybe he was worried about the backlash from Eagles fan seeing him be all chummy with Giants fans.

I hate the Eagles, but if you put me in his shoes I would've taken the higher guaranteed money. Now 2 injuries in to the same knee can you blame him for taking the money?

Why take the risk on SS? Because of how prolific a receiver he was when he was healthy. IMO the best route runner in the league. On third down you had to know we were throwing to SS and he still got open.

I say Barden, MM, or Jernigan have to step up. Your right, a lot of that is machismo. The reality is their is a wide gap between SS's skill level and Barden and Jernigan.

Defcon4
12-31-2011, 03:38 PM
steve smith didnt injure his knee for a second time, the first injury just didnt heal properly bc he was rushed back.

steve smith also didnt bash the giants. could some one post where he did? all he did was say he never heard the contract offer that was written about after he signed with the eagles (which i believe mara over smith anyways but thats diff. than going "the giants are a bad org. and they can jump off a cliff)

when smith was here, teams double teamed SMITH, not nicks. smith DID have 109 receptions a nyg record in 09. he had the most 3rd down conversion receptions in the league. he was killing it with the double moves and getting open and being exactly where eli thought he'd be.

steve smith does regret signing with philly. the nyg also regret how the whole situation played out.

i expect the giants to see where smiths health is and if he's healthy, i expect the giants to make an offer and smith to sign with us. if he doesnt, Barden, JJ, or another WR we get will just step up no big deal.

but i cant help but think how amazing we'd be with nicks and cruz on the outside, and smith in the slot. it'd be impossible to defend that, if u hate or love smith, can u deny that point? how do u stop us if we line those 3 up?

i hope smith comes back, smith hopes he comes back, and adam shefter one of the best in the biz reported that smith wants to come back. if the giants deem him healthy or healthy enough to sign, so be it, and we'd be set at the wr position and could give JJ some time to develop.

+1,000,000,000

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 05:04 PM

420 my buddy, check the past post I had, it was a link to his comments he made saying he didnt like the Giants now...PR move or not, keep your mouth shut and play the game... AND COME ON MAN! Are you serious? Adam Schefter, the best in the biz bro, you said a couple weeks ago that "stats were the only reliable part of ESPN, but everything else they are unreliable. I never take rumors from ESPN, just pure hype and speculation..

"espn may be bs on things like drafts, trades, and FA moves/coaching moves"

http://boards.giants.com/forums/6/2372893/ShowThread.aspx

There's the link...So now you are saying Adam Schefter is the best in the biz, thats comical.

He has gotten negative feedback from NFL teams for spreading gasoline on wildfires
ie. Raiders

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/1/1664356/raiders-criticize-schefter-leinart-trade

Smith may in fact, be coming back, but no one knows that. And please dont try and use Adam Schefter as a reliable source bc it is just PURE SPECULATION!

jomo
12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
steve smith didnt injure his knee for a second time, the first injury just didnt heal properly bc he was rushed back. steve smith also didnt bash the giants. could some one post where he did? all he did was say he never heard the contract offer that was written about after he signed with the eagles (which i believe mara over smith anyways but thats diff. than going "the giants are a bad org. and they can jump off a cliff) when smith was here, teams double teamed SMITH, not nicks. smith DID have 109 receptions a nyg record in 09. he had the most 3rd down conversion receptions in the league. he was killing it with the double moves and getting open and being exactly where eli thought he'd be. steve smith does regret signing with philly. the nyg also regret how the whole situation played out. i expect the giants to see where smiths health is and if he's healthy, i expect the giants to make an offer and smith to sign with us. if he doesnt, Barden, JJ, or another WR we get will just step up no big deal. but i cant help but think how amazing we'd be with nicks and cruz on the outside, and smith in the slot. it'd be impossible to defend that, if u hate or love smith, can u deny that point? how do u stop us if we line those 3 up? i hope smith comes back, smith hopes he comes back, and adam shefter one of the best in the biz reported that smith wants to come back. if the giants deem him healthy or healthy enough to sign, so be it, and we'd be set at the wr position and could give JJ some time to develop. and of course, i'd love spags to return. genius defensive coordinator. 420 my buddy, check the past post I had, it was a link to his comments he made saying he didnt like the Giants now...PR move or not, keep your mouth shut and play the game... AND COME ON MAN! Are you serious? Adam Schefter, the best in the biz bro, you said a couple weeks ago that "stats were the only reliable part of ESPN, but everything else they are unreliable. I never take rumors from ESPN, just pure hype and speculation.. "espn may be bs on things like drafts, trades, and FA moves/coaching moves" http://boards.giants.com/forums/6/2372893/ShowThread.aspx There's the link...So now you are saying Adam Schefter is the best in the biz, thats comical. He has gotten negative feedback from NFL teams for spreading gasoline on wildfires ie. Raiders http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/1/1664356/raiders-criticize-schefter-leinart-trade Smith may in fact, be coming back, but no one knows that. And please dont try and use Adam Schefter as a reliable source bc it is just PURE SPECULATION!Even Jeremy Shockey doesn't get me this worked up, only Tiki!

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
steve smith didnt injure his knee for a second time, the first injury just didnt heal properly bc he was rushed back. steve smith also didnt bash the giants. could some one post where he did? all he did was say he never heard the contract offer that was written about after he signed with the eagles (which i believe mara over smith anyways but thats diff. than going "the giants are a bad org. and they can jump off a cliff) when smith was here, teams double teamed SMITH, not nicks. smith DID have 109 receptions a nyg record in 09. he had the most 3rd down conversion receptions in the league. he was killing it with the double moves and getting open and being exactly where eli thought he'd be. steve smith does regret signing with philly. the nyg also regret how the whole situation played out. i expect the giants to see where smiths health is and if he's healthy, i expect the giants to make an offer and smith to sign with us. if he doesnt, Barden, JJ, or another WR we get will just step up no big deal. but i cant help but think how amazing we'd be with nicks and cruz on the outside, and smith in the slot. it'd be impossible to defend that, if u hate or love smith, can u deny that point? how do u stop us if we line those 3 up? i hope smith comes back, smith hopes he comes back, and adam shefter one of the best in the biz reported that smith wants to come back. if the giants deem him healthy or healthy enough to sign, so be it, and we'd be set at the wr position and could give JJ some time to develop. and of course, i'd love spags to return. genius defensive coordinator. 420 my buddy, check the past post I had, it was a link to his comments he made saying he didnt like the Giants now...PR move or not, keep your mouth shut and play the game... AND COME ON MAN! Are you serious? Adam Schefter, the best in the biz bro, you said a couple weeks ago that "stats were the only reliable part of ESPN, but everything else they are unreliable. I never take rumors from ESPN, just pure hype and speculation.. "espn may be bs on things like drafts, trades, and FA moves/coaching moves" http://boards.giants.com/forums/6/2372893/ShowThread.aspx There's the link...So now you are saying Adam Schefter is the best in the biz, thats comical. He has gotten negative feedback from NFL teams for spreading gasoline on wildfires ie. Raiders http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/1/1664356/raiders-criticize-schefter-leinart-trade Smith may in fact, be coming back, but no one knows that. And please dont try and use Adam Schefter as a reliable source bc it is just PURE SPECULATION!Even Jeremy Shockey doesn't get me this worked up, only Tiki!

Jomo, Your tiki is my steve smith !!

giantsfan420
12-31-2011, 05:16 PM

420 my buddy, check the past post I had, it was a link to his comments he made saying he didnt like the Giants now...PR move or not, keep your mouth shut and play the game... AND COME ON MAN! Are you serious? Adam Schefter, the best in the biz bro, you said a couple weeks ago that "stats were the only reliable part of ESPN, but everything else they are unreliable. I never take rumors from ESPN, just pure hype and speculation..

There's the link...So now you are saying Adam Schefter is the best in the biz, thats comical.

He has gotten negative feedback from NFL teams for spreading gasoline on wildfires
ie. Raiders

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/1/1664356/raiders-criticize-schefter-leinart-trade

Smith may in fact, be coming back, but no one knows that. And please dont try and use Adam Schefter as a reliable source bc it is just PURE SPECULATION!

what? u were saying espn is a bunch of bs. i said for stats they arent. and i agree most of the talking heads at espn are just that, but i've been consistent with saying shafter is one of the best at what he does. he usually is on top of all the player injuries and roster moves. i know its pure speculation, but shefter had talked to smiths rep. and made that report. im not trying to rehash a post i made a while ago, but i too had spoken to one of smiths reps and i posted what he had told me. a couple weeks later shefter reported exactly what i had prior.

and espn MAY be bs on things like that, but that doesnt mean all there **** is bs. and i dunno why ud take my post as anything more than speculation. its purely my speculation but that doesnt mean i dont feel it would happen.

edit-and my comment about espn was in response to u saying there bs hype and speculation, i was merely saing that espn may be all those things, but on things like stats they are very reliable. and they are. the giants lead the nfl in drops with 31 now i believe.
but i respect ur opinion on smith, not saying ur wrong. i just feel differently about it. but i'd look for any excuse to rock my authentic game day smith jersey signed. it he doesnt return to the giants it will just rot in my closet lol

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 05:22 PM

ie. Raiders

what? u were saying espn is a bunch of bs. i said for stats they arent. and i agree most of the talking heads at espn are just that, but i've been consistent with saying shafter is one of the best at what he does. he usually is on top of all the player injuries and roster moves. i know its pure speculation, but shefter had talked to smiths rep. and made that report. im not trying to rehash a post i made a while ago, but i too had spoken to one of smiths reps and i posted what he had told me. a couple weeks later shefter reported exactly what i had prior.

and espn MAY be bs on things like that, but that doesnt mean all there **** is bs. and i dunno why ud take my post as anything more than speculation. its purely my speculation but that doesnt mean i dont feel it would happen.

The reports never said he WANTS to come back...just says he would be open to come back, not the same thing.

OK i see where you are coming from.

JesseJames
12-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Smith i would bring back for the veteran minimum and let him prove himself again.* right now, if brought back he would be nothing more than a #3 if that!</P>

Spags was a great dc for us but if Fewells defense goes deep in the playoffs, i suspect he will be brought back next year.* </P>

that said, Spags could be an egirl before the Giants are done playing ball this season.* just sayin!</P>

Fewells defense going deep into the playoffs does not explain away the humiliating way they performed in too many games this season..

elifan10
12-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Smith i would bring back for the veteran minimum and let him prove himself again. right now, if brought back he would be nothing more than a #3 if that!</P>

Spags was a great dc for us but if Fewells defense goes deep in the playoffs, i suspect he will be brought back next year. </P>

that said, Spags could be an egirl before the Giants are done playing ball this season. just sayin!</P>

Fewells defense going deep into the playoffs does not explain away the humiliating way they performed in too many games this season..</P>

Agreed man Fewell is a joke and should not be re-signed at the end of the year. We NEED to try to do everything we can to get SPAGS back!!!</P>

jomo
12-31-2011, 05:59 PM
steve smith didnt injure his knee for a second time, the first injury just didnt heal properly bc he was rushed back. steve smith also didnt bash the giants. could some one post where he did? all he did was say he never heard the contract offer that was written about after he signed with the eagles (which i believe mara over smith anyways but thats diff. than going "the giants are a bad org. and they can jump off a cliff) when smith was here, teams double teamed SMITH, not nicks. smith DID have 109 receptions a nyg record in 09. he had the most 3rd down conversion receptions in the league. he was killing it with the double moves and getting open and being exactly where eli thought he'd be. steve smith does regret signing with philly. the nyg also regret how the whole situation played out. i expect the giants to see where smiths health is and if he's healthy, i expect the giants to make an offer and smith to sign with us. if he doesnt, Barden, JJ, or another WR we get will just step up no big deal. but i cant help but think how amazing we'd be with nicks and cruz on the outside, and smith in the slot. it'd be impossible to defend that, if u hate or love smith, can u deny that point? how do u stop us if we line those 3 up? i hope smith comes back, smith hopes he comes back, and adam shefter one of the best in the biz reported that smith wants to come back. if the giants deem him healthy or healthy enough to sign, so be it, and we'd be set at the wr position and could give JJ some time to develop. and of course, i'd love spags to return. genius defensive coordinator. 420 my buddy, check the past post I had, it was a link to his comments he made saying he didnt like the Giants now...PR move or not, keep your mouth shut and play the game... AND COME ON MAN! Are you serious? Adam Schefter, the best in the biz bro, you said a couple weeks ago that "stats were the only reliable part of ESPN, but everything else they are unreliable. I never take rumors from ESPN, just pure hype and speculation.. "espn may be bs on things like drafts, trades, and FA moves/coaching moves" http://boards.giants.com/forums/6/2372893/ShowThread.aspx There's the link...So now you are saying Adam Schefter is the best in the biz, thats comical. He has gotten negative feedback from NFL teams for spreading gasoline on wildfires ie. Raiders http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/1/1664356/raiders-criticize-schefter-leinart-trade Smith may in fact, be coming back, but no one knows that. And please dont try and use Adam Schefter as a reliable source bc it is just PURE SPECULATION!Even Jeremy Shockey doesn't get me this worked up, only Tiki! Jomo, Your tiki is my steve smith !!Clearly! lolI hate myself when I get drawn into one of those Tiki threads. At the same time I find the Smith threads snoozers. To each his own rant! [:D] Happy New Year Eliisthefranchise[B] Pary safe!

TuckYou
12-31-2011, 06:21 PM

I'd spags was only good because of the talent, then why can't other DCs produce the same results.

rainierjef
12-31-2011, 06:26 PM
While i agree for giving Eli more weapons cause he will make this offense better with more targets. steve smith is imho not the answer right now for that. his production has declined in philly and the fact that they put him out too early who knows how much more he hurt himself trying to prove a point.

i don't care what he said publicly, he's supposed to do that he's on a different team one thats our rival what better way to get the fans appreciation that you once put out a picture of a empty trophy case publicly on Facebook, than to say you don't like a rival team anymore he didn't say hate he said don't like theres difference i remember him saying he hated the eagles.

if he comes back i won't be objective to it, if the training staff see's a little of the giants steve smith and not the eagles steve smith then it can be good for this team, but i doubt it.

spags i would like to have back though, but i also like perry bash me if you want for saying that but i think he's done enough with what he had barring the injuries

gmen46
12-31-2011, 07:12 PM

That train has left the station.

That ship has sailed.

That horse has left the barn.

You can't go home again.

Bridges were burned.

A shark never sleeps, only keeps moving forward.

And any other cliche appropriate to why neither scenario will occur.

Firenugget
12-31-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't want Steve Smith back here. Sorry, just didn't like the way that whole deal went down and the fact that he just walked over to a div rival...No thanks. He can stay there.

I'd rather find new talent.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2011, 08:56 PM

Our wide receivers were the least of our problems on offense. Our non-existent running game resulted in passing in situations when everyone knew we had no alternative. Having Steve Smith, in the condition he was in, would have gotten us the same thing the eagles got, not much.

Also, early on we had no discernible production from the tight end position, Again, making our choices for moving the chains very obvious most of the time.

The current Steve Smith is an unknown. He's sure not the same Steve Smith as he was when he was healthy. Add a second injury to the same leg and what can he really bring to the able for the GIANTS?

Next season Nicks and Cruz will be even better than they are this year. Cruz works from the slot and the outside as well. We have Jernigan to get moving in the off-season. The we have the draft.

Ballard should heal up for the tight end issue unless we can find a FA or draft for the position.

Wishing for Steve Smith back is OK, but we have to understand he's not the same player he was and that can't be argued.

IamGiantsfan
12-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Steve smiths hands are overated

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Too many drops, but for the first time in franchise history, we have TWO receiver who broke 1,000 yards, one of whom has now broken the single season record held by Amani Toomer.* Is Smith one of those two receivers?

Smith was damaged goods when they offered him $1M for 1 year post injury.* Now he's twice damaged so what would yo suggest we offer him now?* The eagles probably put him on the field too soon to prove the GIANTS were wrong in their assessment and all they proved was Smith was not ready and the GIANTS were right in their assessment.*

Our wide receivers were the least of our problems on offense.* Our* non-existent running game resulted in passing in situations when everyone knew we had no alternative.* Having Steve Smith, in the condition he was in, would have gotten us the same thing the eagles got, not much.*

Also, early on we had no discernible production from the tight end position,* Again, making our choices for moving the chains very obvious most of the time.

The current Steve Smith is an unknown.* He's sure not the same Steve Smith as he was when he was healthy.* Add a second injury to the same leg and what can he really bring to the able for the GIANTS?

Next season* Nicks and Cruz will be even better than they are this year.* Cruz works from the slot and the outside as well.* We have Jernigan to get moving in the off-season.* The we have the draft.*

Ballard should heal up for the tight end issue unless we can find a FA or draft for the position.

Wishing for Steve Smith back is OK, but we have to understand he's not the same player he was and that can't be argued.

this this this this this this +1,000,000,000

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-31-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't want Steve Smith back here. Sorry, just didn't like the way that whole deal went down and the fact that he just walked over to a div rival...No thanks. He can stay there.

I'd rather find new talent.

this X 1,000,000,000,000,000