PDA

View Full Version : Former Giants' Punter Dave Jennngs Dies At 61

RoanokeFan
06-19-2013, 02:02 PM
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Former_Giants_punter_Dave_Jennings_dies_at_61.html

Dave Jennings, the most prolific punter in Giants history who was later a radio analyst for the team died Wednesday morning in his Upper Saddle River (http://www.northjersey.com/uppersaddleriver) home, the team announced.

He had turned 61 on June 8.Jennings, a member of the Giants' Ring of Honor, had suffered from Parkinson’s disease, a chronic degenerative neurological disorder, since 1996.

Jennings played for the Giants from 1974-84. He holds the franchise records for punts (931, or 405 more than runner-up Sean Landeta) and yards (38,792). Jennings was selected to play in the Pro Bowl in 1978, ‘79, ‘80 and ‘82. He punted a career-high 104 times in 1979, which was the Giants record until Brad Maynard had 111 punts in 1997. Jennings punted for more than 4,000 yards in a season three times (1979-81) and had a career-best 44.8-yard average in 1980.

“Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants,” said John Mara, the Giants president.

“He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. More importantly, he was an outstanding person who battled his illness with rare courage and dignity. We will miss him dearly.”

Added Giants chairman Steve Tisch, “Dave is and always will be a Giants’ Giant. He lived his life with class and dignity, and he was the ultimate professional as a player and commentator.” Read more...

primetime
06-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Sad news, he was a great Giant.
RIP Dave Jennings #13

TCHOF
06-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Wow . . . way too young.

There were quite a few years when he was the best player on the team. (For those of you crying about the fact that we've gone a year without a SB victory, let that sink in for a second . . . . . )

BigBlue wins
06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
61 is young :(

JJC7301
06-19-2013, 02:53 PM
RIP to a great Giant and an even better man.

nhpgiantsfan
06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Always enjoyed listening to him on the radio..

Roswell777
06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
A great athlete, a great Giant. Way too young to go.

L.T.56
06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
best punter the giants ever had i think and the giants had some good ones including him, landeta, feagles, and now weatherford.

Harooni
06-19-2013, 03:16 PM
i do remember him in the early 80,s solid punter. may he RIP

ryan12
06-19-2013, 03:20 PM
rip

Roosevelt
06-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Dave was a bright spot for the Giants during a time when we didn't have many.

I remember hearing him on a broadcast years back and mentioned here that he didn't sound right. Sadly I learned that he was ill shortly after.

RIP man, and prayers to your family who lost you way too young.

KATKAVAGE75
06-19-2013, 04:06 PM

I remember hearing him on a broadcast years back and mentioned here that he didn't sound right. Sadly I learned that he was ill shortly after.

So long #13. A great Giant during some of the tough years.

Morehead State
06-19-2013, 04:15 PM

I remember Pat Summerall calling one of his punts where he hit it like 55 yards and out of bounds, and all he said in the outro was "Jennings has no peers".
He was definitely the best punter I ever saw wear Giants blue.

fansince69
06-19-2013, 04:38 PM
I am going to make my comments then go through and see what others said............MY memory of dave Jennings will probably shock some of the younger fans
I grew up in a time along with several others on here.....when the Giants were possibly one of the worst teams in football

In the 70s when Jennings played it seems odd to say but our PUNTER was one of the highlights of that team......very good player on a very bad team......

rest in peace and our thoughts to his family and the entire giant family

jomo
06-19-2013, 05:00 PM
I am going to make my comments then go through and see what others said............MY memory of dave Jennings will probably shock some of the younger fans
I grew up in a time along with several others on here.....when the Giants were possibly one of the worst teams in football

In the 70s when Jennings played it seems odd to say but our PUNTER was one of the highlights of that team......very good player on a very bad team......

rest in peace and our thoughts to his family and the entire giant family+1

1986Bavaro
06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Sad to see such a great Giant die so young. Prayers are with his family.

keyofgmen
06-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Damn sad....

zimonami
06-19-2013, 06:57 PM
R.I.P., Dave. You were loved by all Giant fans. You made the Swan Dive an art, and we loved your efforts to get us a cheap 1st down. :)

YATittle1962
06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
a little piece of my heart went with him

rest easy #13

RoanokeFan
06-19-2013, 07:12 PM

rest in peace and our thoughts to his family and the entire giant family

+1

jomo
06-19-2013, 08:04 PM

rest in peace and our thoughts to his family and the entire giant familyI never quite thought of it that way but the reflection is right on. At a time when we were dreadful, the punter was in fact a ray of light for the fans always expecting something marvelous that would change the field around and lengthen the distance that our oponent would have to drive to score yet another TD. One of the really good guys.

Martyr
06-19-2013, 08:06 PM
great person and even better punter.he Should be in the HoF

giantfanatic
06-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Dave Jennings was the Payton Manning of punters. He was always holding the ball on the sideline and ready for the call - which came often given the sorry offenses he tried to bail out. My sense is that he was the best prepared punter ever. Kind of guy who developed his own tricks to break up the monotony of hundreds and thousands of drop kicks over his career. He was the kind of guy who could call a game and have credibility even though he was a punter because he knew the game and he was such a hard worker. I would like to hear what some of his team mates have to say. May god bless you and those who loved you the most.

GameTime
06-19-2013, 11:30 PM
RIP Dave Jennings......
thanks for some good in the time of not so good for the NYG and their fans.......

Roosevelt
06-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Dave Jennings was the Payton Manning of punters. He was always holding the ball on the sideline and ready for the call - which came often given the sorry offenses he tried to bail out. My sense is that he was the best prepared punter ever. Kind of guy who developed his own tricks to break up the monotony of hundreds and thousands of drop kicks over his career. He was the kind of guy who could call a game and have credibility even though he was a punter because he knew the game and he was such a hard worker. I would like to hear what some of his team mates have to say. May god bless you and those who loved you the most.

You sound like someone who knew Dave better than most and I have a feeling your words are as genuine as his teammates.

krankeybluechick
06-20-2013, 12:35 AM
My heart is broken, I loved him! He was way to young to leave this life :(

KATKAVAGE75
06-20-2013, 09:03 AM
From The St. Lawrence University website:
http://www.stlawu.edu/athletics/saints/football/story/12509

GeoGoGo
06-20-2013, 11:49 AM
He was a true Giant. Excelled at his position and always gave his all. He will be missed. God bless his family in this time of sorrow.

joemorrisforprez
06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Jennings was a class act, and a great player on some very bad teams.

Sometimes, it was just him and the defense keeping the Giants in games, that's how crappy that offense used to be.

RIP.

giantfan1943
06-20-2013, 05:42 PM
So sad to hear. A very good player on some really bad teams. He was a great Giant, a great punter, and a class act.

May he Rest in Peace

zimonami
06-20-2013, 07:15 PM
http://www.stlawu.edu/athletics/saints/football/story/12509TY, TY, Kat

Baby Bulls
06-20-2013, 10:48 PM
RIP Dave, to a great Giant. Scary too, since I'm his age.

jomo
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.stlawu.edu/athletics/saints/football/story/12509 Thanks Kat, don't let tragedy bring us together so infrequently.