PDA

View Full Version : Bear Pascoe our converted Fullback

giant-4-life
06-20-2013, 12:14 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Pascoe Kid is 6'5" 283lbs. he is one inch taller then Jacobs but 1lb lighter which doesn't make a difference when you'll have to defend him. Lord have mercy on the poor soul who picks him up as their assignment

appodictic
06-20-2013, 12:36 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Pascoe Kid is 6'5" 283lbs. he is one inch taller then Jacobs but 1lb lighter which doesn't make a difference when you'll have to defend him. Lord have mercy on the poor soul who picks him up as their assignment

He has been a good player for the giants in spot service, he is an ok blocker, good hands, ok route running, has a number of holding calls that negated big plays. I want to say he will do a good job but I feel like this could be a chase blackburn part 2, someone who has made some nice plays turning into a poor starter.

gmen0820
06-20-2013, 01:41 AM
He has been a good player for the giants in spot service, he is an ok blocker, good hands, ok route running, has a number of holding calls that negated big plays. I want to say he will do a good job but I feel like this could be a chase blackburn part 2, someone who has made some nice plays turning into a poor starter.That's actually a pretty apt comparison. Never saw him in that light, but I mostly agree.

TCHOF
06-20-2013, 06:29 AM
If we pick up another FB (we've sniffed around a few) and Hynoski comes back, Pascoe won't even make the team. He's a nice story but he is only just barely an NFL caliber player.

Toadofsteel
06-20-2013, 06:41 AM
I would say that Pascoe is the perfect depth. Someone to fill in until the designated starter is available again. I don't expect wonders from him, but he will at least be serviceable, kinda like Hixon was...

poppa smurph
06-20-2013, 06:44 AM
If we pick up another FB (we've sniffed around a few) and Hynoski comes back, Pascoe won't even make the team. He's a nice story but he is only just barely an NFL caliber player.If Hyno makes it back healthy, Bear get's cut and things keep going they way they in New England...I do believe they'll take a look at him.

Toadofsteel
06-20-2013, 06:46 AM
If Hyno makes it back healthy, Bear get's cut and things keep going they way they in New England...I do believe they'll take a look at him.

Especially since all of a sudden they are getting depleted at TE. It's almost as if Belicheck knew that it was going to happen and thats why he was stocking up on ridiculous amounts of TE's last year.

jomo
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
He has been a good player for the giants in spot service, he is an ok blocker, good hands, ok route running, has a number of holding calls that negated big plays. I want to say he will do a good job but I feel like this could be a chase blackburn part 2, someone who has made some nice plays turning into a poor starter.Agree but as a FB, it isn't critical like MLB. As a TE, he is a backup and hopefully #3 if Robinson blossoms as planned.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 10:53 AM
I like Pascoe.....I hope he stays with the team for years to come in some type of capacity. Good guy to have on the roster and in the locker room...IMO

BigBlue wins
06-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Especially since all of a sudden they are getting depleted at TE. It's almost as if Belicheck knew that it was going to happen and thats why he was stocking up on ridiculous amounts of TE's last year.

Dude must have a crystal ball lol

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
If we pick up another FB (we've sniffed around a few) and Hynoski comes back, Pascoe won't even make the team. He's a nice story but he is only just barely an NFL caliber player.

When Hynoski comes back, the season will have already started so Pascoe will make the team.

njg85m
06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Bear is a valuable player to have. He can play two different positions, and has always stepped in at either when needed and done a suitable job. Sure we don't want him as a long term starter at TE or FB, but as a guy who steps up when others are injured, I'm fine going with him until Hyno gets healthy..

BigBlue wins
06-20-2013, 01:45 PM
It's a great thing when you have a player like Bear. i don't understand why people knock on him. I thought at first the analysts were making fun of him when going over the SF/Giants playoff highlights in his TD.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 01:47 PM
It's a great thing when you have a player like Bear. i don't understand why people knock on him. I thought at first the analysts were making fun of him when going over the SF/Giants playoff highlights in his TD.

Sometimes, the fact that a player isn't labeled a "starter" results in people thinking they aren't NFL worthy.

Eliscruzzz
06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
When Hynoski comes back, the season will have already started so Pascoe will make the team. Can they still move Pascoe when Hynoski comes back? I don't want them to, just wondering.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Can they still move Pascoe when Hynoski comes back? I don't want them to, just wondering.

They can always release a player, but I don't think they would release Pascoe. He only has a one year deal and he does provide versatility no one else already on the team can.

BigBlue wins
06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Sometimes, the fact that a player isn't labeled a "starter" results in people thinking they aren't NFL worthy.

Its not only bigoted but ignorant. Football, like any team sport, fields a group of people who contribute toward the 'W'

Anyone who has played or still plays a team sport (should) know this. One would think the analysts would know better or as much.

TCHOF
06-20-2013, 02:12 PM
When Hynoski comes back, the season will have already started so Pascoe will make the team.

Depends on when he comes back . . . you would obviously be correct if he comes back after the season started. In that case, Pascoe would have technically "made the team" but would be summarily cut upon Hynsoki's return.

BlueSanta
06-20-2013, 02:12 PM
We al want Pascoe to be a success because he is the hard working , not so talented underdog. Who doesn't root for that guy? But lets be honest here, over the last few years he has had an amazing string of lucky circumstances that allowed him to remain on the Roster. Ben Patrick retiring at 27. Losing Ballard and Beckum to injuries that both lasted far longer than initially thought. Then the Pats sly move nabbing Ballard from our roster. The Raiders offering Kevin Boss a ridiculous contract. The injury to Hedge****. Every single 1 of these events opened up a roster spot, in most cases the 3rd TE spot which allowed us to keep Pascoe.

People like to call him a blocking TE. That isn't true. He isn't very good at blocking, at least at the end of the line. Last year, he was used VERY sparingly even for that. Instead the Giants opted to being in an extra tackle to play TE in goaline situations rather than use Pascoe most of the time.

Typically we have been reluctant to throw to him in any situation down the field. Most of his receptions were on dumpoffs and screens of less than 5 yards. He isn't a very good receiver and last year his 4 receptions emphasize this point.

So lets not turn him into something he isn't. The fact is he has made the team for 1 reason, he can be a backup FB, that is all. I say this because his contributions as a TE were negligible.

I challenge anyone to go through last years active roster and find a player who contributed less than Bear Pascoe. It isn't easy. I think it is safe to say the Giants would like to at least try to get more out of every spot on that 53 man roster and if you doing a roster analysis, you have to at least look at that 3rd TE spot and say "couldn't we get more out of that guy than 4 receptions and very little blocking for an entire year?"

TCHOF
06-20-2013, 04:29 PM
We al want Pascoe to be a success because he is the hard working , not so talented underdog. Who doesn't root for that guy? But lets be honest here, over the last few years he has had an amazing string of lucky circumstances that allowed him to remain on the Roster. Ben Patrick retiring at 27. Losing Ballard and Beckum to injuries that both lasted far longer than initially thought. Then the Pats sly move nabbing Ballard from our roster. The Raiders offering Kevin Boss a ridiculous contract. The injury to Hedge****. Every single 1 of these events opened up a roster spot, in most cases the 3rd TE spot which allowed us to keep Pascoe.

People like to call him a blocking TE. That isn't true. He isn't very good at blocking, at least at the end of the line. Last year, he was used VERY sparingly even for that. Instead the Giants opted to being in an extra tackle to play TE in goaline situations rather than use Pascoe most of the time.

Typically we have been reluctant to throw to him in any situation down the field. Most of his receptions were on dumpoffs and screens of less than 5 yards. He isn't a very good receiver and last year his 4 receptions emphasize this point.

So lets not turn him into something he isn't. The fact is he has made the team for 1 reason, he can be a backup FB, that is all. I say this because his contributions as a TE were negligible.

I challenge anyone to go through last years active roster and find a player who contributed less than Bear Pascoe. It isn't easy. I think it is safe to say the Giants would like to at least try to get more out of every spot on that 53 man roster and if you doing a roster analysis, you have to at least look at that 3rd TE spot and say "couldn't we get more out of that guy than 4 receptions and very little blocking for an entire year?"

My sentiments exactly. Good post.

egyptian420
06-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Lol bear ain't going anywhere.... Whether or not hyno is injured

BlueSanta
06-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Lol bear ain't going anywhere.... Whether or not hyno is injured

Your opinion is based on what?

You think we wouldn't cut him? We already have...2 x I believe. He was also cut by another team too. Why is it so hard to believe? I do think the injury to hyno helps him short term, but it certainly doesn't guarantee his position.

If the Giants think Hyno will be out till week 6, it is entirely possible they IR Hyno and use Pascoe as the roster spot, allowing us to keep Chase as the 3rd TE. Coach Pope does seem to like that kid. However, who then gets cut when Hyno comes back? It very well could be Pascoe. As my post above indicates, he has been very close to free agency in the past and some pretty strange circumstances have allowed us to keep him on the roster. But if you go by last year, he did not earn his spot at all.

jomo
06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
If Hyno makes it back healthy, Bear get's cut and things keep going they way they in New England...I do believe they'll take a look at him.They'll look at any TE these days.

egyptian420
06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Your opinion is based on what?

You think we wouldn't cut him? We already have...2 x I believe. He was also cut by another team too. Why is it so hard to believe? I do think the injury to hyno helps him short term, but it certainly doesn't guarantee his position.

If the Giants think Hyno will be out till week 6, it is entirely possible they IR Hyno and use Pascoe as the roster spot, allowing us to keep Chase as the 3rd TE. Coach Pope does seem to like that kid. However, who then gets cut when Hyno comes back? It very well could be Pascoe. As my post above indicates, he has been very close to free agency in the past and some pretty strange circumstances have allowed us to keep him on the roster. But if you go by last year, he did not earn his spot at all.Well I'm pretty sure Hyno will come back early but I don't see Pascoe going anywhere this season. Besides Myers who else would we have as a TE? A guy in Adrien who hasn't made a single catch in the NFL? What if Myers goes down or we want to run a 2 TE set. Atleast Pascoe is a guy who's been in the system and played in games, he's serviceable at a position where there's one proven player.

giantsfan420
06-20-2013, 07:10 PM
bear ran no where near the same style of force Jacobs ran. I mean from a physical standpoint they r similar. But from how they play, completely different. Bear isn't as strong. and isn't going to blow up the defender.

I've always wondered how Jacobs would do as a FB. Were he willing to become one and put in the work there, he could extend his career easily.

jomo
06-20-2013, 07:51 PM
bear ran no where near the same style of force Jacobs ran. I mean from a physical standpoint they r similar. But from how they play, completely different. Bear isn't as strong. and isn't going to blow up the defender.

I've always wondered how Jacobs would do as a FB. Were he willing to become one and put in the work there, he could extend his career easily.Size has nothing to do with physicality. Bear is a bit soft given his size. I'm not trying to knock the guy, actually think he's OK but the reality is, he doesn't crush anyone.

BlueSanta
06-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Well I'm pretty sure Hyno will come back early but I don't see Pascoe going anywhere this season. Besides Myers who else would we have as a TE? A guy in Adrien who hasn't made a single catch in the NFL? What if Myers goes down or we want to run a 2 TE set. Atleast Pascoe is a guy who's been in the system and played in games, he's serviceable at a position where there's one proven player.

Well, we disagree there I guess. I do not see him as a serviceable TE. I have seen no evidence supporting that claim. In fact, 1 could argue his best year ever for us was the year he filled in for an injured Hedge**** at FB. In 2011, he actually played a good number of minutes at TE and was terrible at end line blocking, didn't get open, and led the league in holding calls per snap.

We must have different definitions of "serviceable"

jomo
06-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Well, we disagree there I guess. I do not see him as a serviceable TE. I have seen no evidence supporting that claim. In fact, 1 could argue his best year ever for us was the year he filled in for an injured Hedge**** at FB. In 2011, he actually played a good number of minutes at TE and was terrible at end line blocking, didn't get open, and led the league in holding calls per snap.

We must have different definitions of "serviceable"For me, serviceable is a low bar meant for non starters, good locker room influence, reserved for guys who stay healthy, keep their noses clean and who can help out in a number of areas. For me, Bear meets that threshold however if we find someone better, he is expendable. We might be splitting hairs here but serviceable and expendable are about an eighth inch apart for me.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Depends on when he comes back . . . you would obviously be correct if he comes back after the season started. In that case, Pascoe would have technically "made the team" but would be summarily cut upon Hynsoki's return.

I disagree. They signed him for a year when Hynoski was healthy. I don't think we're overloaded at TE

fansince69
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
I disagree. They signed him for a year when Hynoski was healthy. I don't think we're overloaded at TEPlus he is still the backup FB

BlueSanta
06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
For me, serviceable is a low bar meant for non starters, good locker room influence, reserved for guys who stay healthy, keep their noses clean and who can help out in a number of areas. For me, Bear meets that threshold however if we find someone better, he is expendable. We might be splitting hairs here but serviceable and expendable are about an eighth inch apart for me.

to me, the definition of a "serviceable" guy is a guy who may not be great or even good, but gets the job done.

I do not see how anyone can say the Bear gets the job done, especially as a TE. For example would you consider Beckum, released last year to be a "serviceable" player? Because his stats were better than Pascoe's. It used to be people would argue" but bear is a blocking TE" however, that simply isn't the case. In fact, he is a far better lead blocker than he ever was at end line blocking, and he is marginal at that. We didn't even use him as a end line blocker last year, instead often choosing to bring in tackles to play the extra TE in goaline situations.

I am merely pointing out that I do believe he is 1 of the guys who is battling for a spot this year and isn't a given as Egyptian implied above.

Again, there have been a very large number of somewhat abnormal circumstances that allowed him to stay with the team in recent years. His biggest asset is that he can be a backup FB, which is his only hope this year imho. Again, I can look down the roster of last year and find maybe 1 player who contributed less than Pascoe. It seems pretty simple logic to try to improve our roster from top to bottom you 1st start by trying to get players in who contribute more.

jomo
06-20-2013, 08:33 PM
to me, the definition of a "serviceable" guy is a guy who may not be great or even good, but gets the job done.

I do not see how anyone can say the Bear gets the job done, especially as a TE. For example would you consider Beckum, released last year to be a "serviceable" player? Because his stats were better than Pascoe's. It used to be people would argue" but bear is a blocking TE" however, that simply isn't the case. In fact, he is a far better lead blocker than he ever was at end line blocking, and he is marginal at that. We didn't even use him as a end line blocker last year, instead often choosing to bring in tackles to play the extra TE in goaline situations.

I am merely pointing out that I do believe he is 1 of the guys who is battling for a spot this year and isn't a given as Egyptian implied above.

Again, there have been a very large number of somewhat abnormal circumstances that allowed him to stay with the team in recent years. His biggest asset is that he can be a backup FB, which is his only hope this year imho. Again, I can look down the roster of last year and find maybe 1 player who contributed less than Pascoe. It seems pretty simple logic to try to improve our roster from top to bottom you 1st start by trying to get players in who contribute more.I'm not far from you but part of "serviceable" includes "cheap." If we could toss him and replace him with a better minimum contract player (which is what he is making now) I am sure JR would do it.

BlueSanta
06-20-2013, 08:40 PM
I'm not far from you but part of "serviceable" includes "cheap." If we could toss him and replace him with a better minimum contract player (which is what he is making now) I am sure JR would do it.

I agree price has something to do with it. But most 3rd TEs in the league are paid the minimum. I think the guy Pascoe has to worry abot this year is Chase Clement. He is actually a blocking TE from LSU who Pope has said good things about. Being a RFA, I believe he would actually make less than Pascoe too. So your argument may not work in Bear's favor.

jomo
06-20-2013, 08:44 PM
I agree price has something to do with it. But most 3rd TEs in the league are paid the minimum. I think the guy Pascoe has to worry abot this year is Chase Clement. He is actually a blocking TE from LSU who Pope has said good things about. Being a RFA, I believe he would actually make less than Pascoe too. So your argument may not work in Bear's favor.lol, I'm not agruing anything in Chase's favor. I love when second tier guys are sent packing. I trust the coaches and that tells me we are upgrading.

BlueSanta
06-20-2013, 08:48 PM
lol, I'm not agruing anything in Chase's favor. I love when second tier guys are sent packing. I trust the coaches and that tells me we are upgrading.

Well again, I am merely arguing with those that think Pascoe is a lock. He isn't. Not by a long shot. He has barely made the team almost every year with us and his production, which was never much, is on a decline. That's not a good combination.

TCHOF
06-20-2013, 08:51 PM
I disagree. They signed him for a year when Hynoski was healthy. I don't think we're overloaded at TE

My original point was that he would be cut if we picked up another FB and Hynoski came back. In that case, his flexibility as a TE and backup FB would not be needed.

poppa smurph
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
They'll look at any TE these days.Yeah.. things aren't so rosie in Chowdah Town.
2 points here...
Pascoe does offer the versatility that BB covets.. and
For the love of Pete.. These " professional " football players that make all this money can't afford to employ just 1 person to do some additional thinking for them to keep them out of situations like this....take a lesson from the Godfather... you're not as smart as you think you are!

giant-4-life
06-21-2013, 01:49 AM

when he comes back. by that time, pascoe will have put a notch or two, hopefully good in his belt. he could then go back to TE or be a second FB option behind hynoski.

BlueSanta
06-21-2013, 05:02 AM

It all depends on how long Hyno is out. If they have to use the new 6 week IR, then they will have to cut somebody upon Hyno's return.

Captain Chaos
06-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Pascoe's versatility will help him make the team this year; however, if Hyno was healthy I don't think I would be as certain....

TCHOF
06-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Yeah.. things aren't so rosie in Chowdah Town.
2 points here...
Pascoe does offer the versatility that BB covets.. and
For the love of Pete.. These " professional " football players that make all this money can't afford to employ just 1 person to do some additional thinking for them to keep them out of situations like this....take a lesson from the Godfather... you're not as smart as you think you are!

Hernandez needed to hire someone to tell him not to kill anybody?